PDA

View Full Version : Parker relishes Spurs' trip to France

Kori Ellis
10-02-2006, 02:06 AM
Parker relishes Spurs' trip to France

Web Posted: 10/01/2006 10:12 PM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100206.1D.spurs.2e77cdf.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

LYON, France — As the NBA began planning more than 16 months ago to have some of its teams train in Europe, the Spurs were among the first to volunteer.
Tony Parker, however, wasn't quite so sure the team would agree to return to his country. The Spurs had already spent a week in Paris in 2003 and some team officials, including coach Gregg Popovich, expressed an interest in visiting Russia.

France, however, offered one incentive Russia could not.

"I'm just happy Pop loves wine," Parker said. "Every time the NBA ask him to come here, he says yes."

With an assist from his coach, Parker is back amongst his family and friends this week. More important to the Spurs is that he's also back on the court.

Almost seven weeks to the day after breaking his right index finger in a World Championships tune-up game for France's national team, Parker made good on his vow to be ready for the start of the Spurs' training camp. He participated in both of the team's practices on Sunday and was pleased with the results.

"I'm back to 100 percent," Parker said.

Or close enough. X-rays taken on Thursday in San Antonio showed the bone had completely healed. Regaining his rhythm and confidence will take a little longer.

The finger "feels a little bit sensitive. I'm still a little bit scared to go for steals and stuff like that," Parker said. "But when I shoot the ball, it's OK. It does not hurt that much."

Popovich said he has no plans to limit Parker unless the point guard's conditioning dictates otherwise. He expects Parker to play in both of the team's exhibition games in France.

The Spurs' biggest concern is making sure Parker doesn't overextend himself off the court while he is here. He'll attend a handful of sponsorship and NBA-related activities, as well as shoulder the largest media responsibilities.

About 30 reporters greeted Parker after Sunday afternoon's practice at Halle Vivier Merle. Parker's fame as France's top basketball export also was evident on the Spurs' bus: A picture of him outsized those of Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili on the side of the vehicle, which was specially painted to promote the league's inaugural Europe Live event.

The team also has given Parker one other task.

"In France," he said, "I'm a little bit of a translator."

While Parker appreciates the opportunity to show the Spurs his country, he is also simply glad to be back on the court. His hope of leading France to a medal at the World Championships ended when he broke his finger. For the next six weeks, he wore a brace to stabilize the fracture, preventing him from even grasping a basketball with his right hand.

Parker had a few workouts in Los Angeles with Spurs shooting coach Chip Engelland before returning to San Antonio. But not nearly as many as he hoped to have before he was injured.

"I was feeling great with the national team," he said. "I was playing great basketball ... and then I got hurt in the last game. So, it gave me a little extra vacation.

"I'm still in good shape mentally and am ready to go and have a great season with the Spurs."

Parker also said his personal life is in order. Contrary to reports that he and actress Eva Longoria had ended their relationship, Parker said Sunday they are still dating.

"Everything's fine," he said. "A couple stuff happened, but that's nothing. Everything is fine."

Popovich, meanwhile, is glad Parker has helped bring the Spurs back to France.

"I can't think of a better place to start camp," Popovich said. "The facilities are great, but most importantly, the food and wine is spectacular."

Summers
10-02-2006, 01:21 PM
:lol @ Pop.

angel_luv
10-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Parker also said his personal life is in order. Contrary to reports that he and actress Eva Longoria had ended their relationship, Parker said Sunday they are still dating.

"Everything's fine," he said. "A couple stuff happened, but that's nothing. Everything is fine."

Spoken like the guilty party. :lol

I am happy for Tony that he is healthy again. I hope he and the team have a wonderful time in France.

Slomo
10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
"I can't think of a better place to start camp," Popovich said. "The facilities are great, but most importantly, the food and wine is spectacular."
Told you!!! :lol

angel_luv
10-02-2006, 02:47 PM
:lol

Solid D
10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
"A couple of stuff happened..."

Any time an actor/actress makes a movie, jealosy and sparks can follow (and justifiably so, looking at the track record of broken relationships following movie-making over the past several decades).

boutons_
10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
People like Tony and Eva get delicious proposals all the time from other successful, incredibly attractive people. I figure whoever they think is a guility one, if they do, will not escape retribution.

Clutch20
10-02-2006, 05:29 PM
No Eva, just Tony, here is a clipping from eurosport:

EUROSPORT.COM

Tony Parker has warned that fixture congestion may force him out of international basketball for good. The Frenchman said the dual demands of a full season with the San Antonio Spurs followed by international commitments would eventually take their toll.

The 24-year-old said: "I don't have to tell you that I love playing for France. But the schedules complicate everything. And it will become harder and harder as I get older.

"When I am 28 or 29 and I am struggling to get up because my whole body hurts, it is clear that I will want to take the whole of my five months of holidays [during the NBA off-season]."

The point guard missed this summer's World Championship because of a broken finger, and revealed how the Spurs pressurised him to pull out once the extent of the injury became clear.

"When I broke my finger, they quickly put pressure on me not to play for France. Missing the [Spurs] training camp was not an option.

"There was no discussion, [coach Gregg Popovich] told me to take the first plane home, if not he was coming to get me.

"I listened to him and I was on the first flight to San Antonio."

Parker says conflict between the NBA and the International Basketball Federation is inevitable considering the astronomical sums players earn and the serious impact of injuries on international duty.