PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Waive Ruben Boumtje Boumtje

Kori Ellis
10-28-2004, 04:45 PM
SPURS WAIVE RUBEN BOUMTJE BOUMTJE

SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have placed Ruben Boumtje Boumtje on waivers.

The 7-0 center was signed by the Spurs as a free agent on October 4. He appeared in five preseason games with San Antonio, averaging 2.8 points and 2.0 rebounds in 9.6 minutes.

With the move the Spurs now have 15 players on their roster.

Solid D
10-28-2004, 04:47 PM
I lost 1 v-dollar guessing he'd be 1st to go. Best wishes BoumtjeX2.

timvp
10-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Hopefully Boumtje-Boumtje can find another team's IR to stay on. If not, he's on record that he's going back to school to become a doctor.

Good luck to whatever you do, boom boom.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2004, 05:17 PM
That's not a shabby fallback plan. Kids' obviously got a good head on his shoulders, he's lived the NBA experience (including the Rasheed tries to go 5 hole but misses high experience), and he's got places to go.

boutons
10-28-2004, 05:28 PM
If he gets his med degree, he could go back to Cameroun and help out, and probably live damn near as well as an NBA star.

Good luck, Ruben, you seem like a decent guy.

Kori Ellis
10-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Ruben says when he eventually goes back to school, it will be to become an orthopedic surgeon.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2004, 05:49 PM
So, with Boumtje-Boumtje gone we're down to 15.

Are they going to keep all 15, or is there someone else whose head is on the chopping block? I'd think the question is solely whether they intend to keep Sato for some part or all of this season (ala Devin in 2002). Any thoughts?

timvp
10-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Sato and/or Wilks could still be cut. If I had to guess, one of them will be gone by the time the season starts.

ChumpDumper
10-28-2004, 05:52 PM
I think they stick with 15 unless another big goes down -- if Beno shapes up, maybe Wilks goes, but not if he plays like last night.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2004, 06:51 PM
We need to get Darius Rice onboard :(

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2004, 06:55 PM
I have no reason for this belief, other than past indications, but I have a feeling that Sato won't make it to opening night.

With the on-going PG issues involving the Slovenian Ice Man, I'd figure Wilks to be around for awhile -- at least until someone better becomes available.

TheWriter
10-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Why the hell would they let go of Sato? His rebounding and shot blocking is more than enough to keep him.

Mike Wilks is the one gone if it's between Sato and Wilks.

And we have no clue what Spurs brass is thinking. So lets pretend not to.

timvp
10-28-2004, 07:05 PM
And we have no clue what Spurs brass is thinking. So lets pretend not to.

Well, a lot of people around here have a track record of predicting what will happen. And no, the Spurs never signed Charles Oakley.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Mike Wilks is the one gone if it's between Sato and Wilks.

I disagree. Based on comments and contracts, LJ3 and Marks seem shoe-ins to make the final roster in 2 of the 3 IR spots. If that's true, then one of Wilks or Sato (or some other pickup who might come down the pike) has to make not only the roster, but the active roster on opening night. That leaves the other to either be waived or IR'd. Pop has said that 3 PGs are imperative, since they don't know how brittle Beno is. Last I checked, Sato isn't a PG. And Pop has previously said that while Barry may see some time at the point, he does not consider him a PG (for now anyway).

They have 15 now. 11 would seem definite for opening night:

1. Barry
2. Bowen
3. Brown
4. Duncan
5. Ginobili
6. Horry
7. Massenburg
8. Nesterovic
9. Parker
10. Rose
11. Udrih

2 are injured
12. Marks
13. Johnson

2 are on the bubble
14. Wilks
15. Sato

. . . and I can't recall the last time the Spurs started a season with 15, but it's been at least 2 seasons.

Kori Ellis
10-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Ludden reported that Beno will play tomorrow night. I think the Spurs will carry 15 for at least a month or two into the season to make sure that Beno is going to be able to play regularly. I'm not sure that 15th person will be Wilks, they'll probably keep him around for now. But if a better point guard is on the wires, I think they'll drop Wilks and pick him up. I think Sato is going to be on the roster because the Spurs gave him a 3-year partially guaranteed contract, so they want to at least keep him on the roster (IR) this season and see how he pans out.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2004, 07:15 PM
If they carry 15, then I have absolutely no quarrel with keeping Sato around. My point was just that they've not usually kept 15 to open a season. Then again, in the past they've been trying to stay under the cap and extra contracts were harmful to that effort. So, I can see the wisdom in keeping 15 now as opposed to years gone by.

Kori Ellis
10-28-2004, 07:16 PM
I don't think they will carry 15 all season, but I think they'll do so for a while. As Pop said yesterday, he doesn't know Beno well enough to know if he's sturdy. So I think they'll need to carry 15 while they find out.

TheWriter
10-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Well, a lot of people around here have a track record of predicting what will happen. And no, the Spurs never signed Charles Oakley.

Yes they did. They just told me.

Predicting and absolutely knowing are two different things.

Come on LJ, don't act like Amente and Dusty. :depressed

timvp
10-28-2004, 08:06 PM
If you want to discuss only absolute facts, you probably should log off the internet, throw away your tv and radio and take up math or something.

TheWriter
10-28-2004, 08:18 PM
I think I will.

Solid D
10-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Don't forget that Wilks comes cheap. The Bulls have to cover his $750K salary commitment after clearing waivers. Why not keep 15 players? Sato could stay at least half the season if the info on his conditional 2-yr. deal is accurate.

SpursWoman
10-28-2004, 10:48 PM
If you want to discuss only absolute facts, you probably should log off the internet, throw away your tv and radio and take up math or something.

:lol

mattyc
10-29-2004, 01:05 AM
Good luck to Boumtje-Boumtje. Sounds like he is a decent guy with some smarts.

I can see us going in with the current 15 guys. Things obviously change during the season (as we saw with Hart coming in last season, but I think the current 15 will stick for awhile until things are required to change.