PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili puts summer of discontent behind him

TMTTRIO
10-03-2006, 12:34 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100306.1D.Spurs.351b611.html

Ginobili puts summer of discontent behind him
Web Posted: 10/03/2006 12:07 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

LYON, France — If Manu Ginobili's summer followed the script of his previous five summers — and, given how heavily decorated the previous five summers had left him, did anyone think it wouldn't? — then he would have watched his 3-pointer settle into the net, spun on his heels, pumped his fist and celebrated long into the night.
Ginobili wouldn't have swatted Dirk Nowitzki's wrist. Or, even if he did, the foul would have been forgiven as soon as his off-balance bank shot fell through the rim at the buzzer, completing one of the most improbable comebacks in NBA playoff history.

And if Ginobili's magic had failed him even then? If the Spurs' season still ended at the conclusion of their epic seven-game Western Conference semifinal series with Dallas?

Ginobili still had the World Championships. He could have simply done what he did the only other time he couldn't help the Spurs to a title: Lead Argentina to a gold medal.

So much for history. Ginobili's pass to Andres Nocioni on the final possession of Argentina's semifinal game against Spain led only to a missed 3-pointer. His layup attempt at the end of regulation against Dallas didn't drop. And, as everyone knows by now, he did foul Nowitzki.

As a result, for the first time in six years, Ginobili ended his summer without a medal around his neck or a trophy in his hands.

"The crazy thing was, I felt exactly the same way after the NBA (playoffs) and after the World Championships," Ginobili said. "I was very upset. I was sad.

"Probably two of the best teams of the tournaments play together in the semifinals or whatever it was, and both (games) are decided on the last shot. My teams didn't (win) any of the two ... so it was hard to swallow."

Ginobili's difficultly digesting the losses was understandable. Over the previous five seasons he had won Italian league and Euroleague championships, a pair of NBA titles and an Olympic gold medal. Even his silver medal from the 2002 World Championships brought some measure of satisfaction given that everyone west of Belgrade thought Argentina would have taken gold were it not for some shaky officiating.

As disappointing as it was to return from Japan last month without a medal, Ginobili thinks Argentina gave a respectable showing.

Nor does he seem to still be nursing a hangover from the Spurs' early exit. On the first day of camp, he picked up a ball 30 feet from the basket, threw it hard off the court then watched it arc through the rim. Spurs' staffers, now accustomed to Ginobili's wizardry, simply shook their heads.

"I feel very good," Ginobili said. "Nothing's sore."

That's a change from last season. Between ankle and foot sprains, bone bruises and quadriceps and calf contusions, Ginobili missed 17 games, most of which came during the first half of the schedule.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and Ginobili both now wonder whether Ginobili's full summer of rest before the start of last season did him more harm than good. While Ginobili said the extended break — he didn't play for his national team for the first time in years — left him mentally refreshed, he also had a harder time getting in shape.

Popovich hopes Ginobili won't need as long to find his comfort level this season after playing in the World Championships.

"Now that I've been with him a few years, I know he has to play, he has to have a rhythm," Popovich said. "He loses that for some reason very quickly. He just has to stay in that grind I think to be the best player he can.

"Now there's a point at which it would obviously be crazy, but given rest along the way, it's better that he plays."
Ginobili doesn't figure to dial down his aggressiveness too much. But he has been working to improve his midrange shot, as well as adding a teardrop runner similar to that of Tony Parker — both of which could help reduce the punishment he usually absorbs in the lane.

"I think (the teardrop) could be a great thing for me in the future, but that all depends," he said. "I'm going to try to use it, but during the game if I just feel more comfortable going to the basket I'm going to do that."

Ginobili's scoring dropped slightly last season (from 16.0 points per game to 15.1) in part because of Parker's increased role in the offense, but also because his own injuries made it difficult to find any consistency. He hasn't set a benchmark for his personal stats this season. Nor has he prioritized earning an All-Star invite.

"My goal is just to improve," Ginobili said. "Be more of a leader, be even more reliable, less mistakes."

Ginobili made his share of errors last season, most notably his end-of-game turnover that led to a loss in Sacramento in the first round of the playoffs. His block attempt on Nowitzki that became a three-point play also doesn't rate high on his list of decisions.

After his foul, Ginobili drove into the lane and tried to win the game on the final possession of regulation. He had Robert Horry semi-open in the left corner, but the Spurs will live with Ginobili shooting 6 feet from the rim, especially when Tim Duncan is in rebounding position.

Ginobili, however, blamed himself for the loss after the game, enough so that Popovich worried about him.

"He's such a competitor that he couldn't believe that he (committed the foul)," Popovich said. "He took it as one of the worst experiences of his life.

"I tried to make the point to him that it was a tough play and it hurt. But in the scheme of things, if it's the toughest thing he ever goes through in life, (everything else) will be a breeze."

Ginobili hasn't bothered to watch replays of the final sequence of events against the Mavericks. Nor has he sat around reliving the conclusion of Argentina's loss to Spain when he made the correct decision to pass to Nocioni after driving into a crowd of defenders.

But that also doesn't mean he's forgotten either.

"The same way Nocioni may be asking for another try, the same thing happened to me against Dallas," he said. "You don't feel great, but you want another chance.

"You want revenge."

Notebook: Horry, slowed by injuries to his right shoulder and left Achilles' tendon, practiced on Monday. Given his professed love for Lyon's food and wine, Popovich was asked if he would consider moving to the city and coaching the local professional team. "That wouldn't be a good fit," he said. "I would weigh 340 pounds and be drunk all the time."

carina_gino20
10-03-2006, 03:59 AM
[url]
"The same way Nocioni may be asking for another try, the same thing happened to me against Dallas," he said. "You don't feel great, but you want another chance.

"You want revenge."

Notebook: Given his professed love for Lyon's food and wine, Popovich was asked if he would consider moving to the city and coaching the local professional team. "That wouldn't be a good fit," he said. "I would weigh 340 pounds and be drunk all the time." :lol

Manu's going to fulfill the promise he made last year, this season. :elephant

AFE7FATMAN
10-03-2006, 06:07 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100306.1D.Spurs.351b611.html

Given his professed love for Lyon's food and wine, Popovich was asked if he would consider moving to the city and coaching the local professional team. "That wouldn't be a good fit," he said. "I would weigh 340 pounds and be drunk all the time."

:lol
I'm sure this would apply to a lot of us.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-03-2006, 07:01 AM
Manu is going to have to bust his ass this season to make up for that bonehead crap he pulled against the Mavs. I love him to death, but the guy broke a lot of hearts with that foul, and that is not easy to mend.

SenorSpur
10-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Manu is going to have to bust his ass this season to make up for that bonehead crap he pulled against the Mavs. I love him to death, but the guy broke a lot of hearts with that foul, and that is not easy to mend.

Strong stuff coming from someone with a handle of ManuMania. Well said, and I have to agree wholeheartedly. It's still hard for me to watch that sequence. I don't know what hurts more, that play or Derek Fisher's .04 shot.

ducks
10-03-2006, 09:52 AM
"I think (the teardrop) could be a great thing for me in the future, but that all depends," he said. "I'm going to try to use it, but during the game if I just feel more comfortable going to the basket I'm going to do that."
tp could teach him

Solid D
10-03-2006, 10:13 AM
On the first day of camp, he picked up a ball 30 feet from the basket, threw it hard off the court then watched it arc through the rim. Spurs' staffers, now accustomed to Ginobili's wizardry, simply shook their heads.

Another example of why I think Ginobili is a blend of Maravich and Havlicek. Even with the disappointment of the playoffs last season (and not just Game 7 v. Mavs), he is without a doubt the most entertaining and enjoyable Spurs' player I have ever seen.

boutons_
10-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Manu already uses the teardrop and running jumper/floater when his drive is prevented from getting all the way to the backboard.

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2006, 10:57 AM
It might all just be rhetoric, and it may prove in the end to be nothing, but is sure sounds like this is a pretty salty and pissed off group so far. They have all kinds of motivation to push themselves this season and to this point, that doesn't seem to be lost on them. Whether it will translate into focus and discipline and attention to detail in April, May, and June remains to be seen. But for now, they're sure saying the right things.

nkdlunch
10-03-2006, 11:09 AM
there is no need for them to be pissed off. They are a veteran champion group and know what it takes to win it all. As long as they are mostly healthy come playoffs, they will know exactly what it will take. Let's hope Pop knows too

SenorSpur
10-03-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm glad to see they have an edge. The absence of said edge is probably a good reason as to why the Spurs have failed in their quest to win back-to-back titles.

spurschick
10-03-2006, 12:52 PM

Damn, I feel sorry for your ex-girlfriends. You gotta learn to forgive! :hat

boutons_
10-03-2006, 02:15 PM
"You gotta learn to forgive!"

This is advice from a chick to a guy? Lady, have you got that ass backwards. :lol

Chris Rock has great segment about women NEVER forgetting (imagined) faults or slights, where a lady says about her man:

"He doan even know I know. I'm gonna get him on dat shit next month! :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
10-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Damn, I feel sorry for your ex-girlfriends. You gotta learn to forgive! :hathttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Well, look I'm mad because it was unnecesary. I mean he was doing GREAT up to that point, with a three pointer that could have cemented him as a playoff stud for years to come, and the chance for the Spurs to get yet another championship, and he goes and does something THAT stupid!!? Hey, I'm still his biggest fan, but dude better bring it this season like never before... patience is growing thin. I want to consider him among the greats, but I can't do that with only ONE great season, one ok season and a mediocre onehttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-03-2006, 08:54 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Well, look I'm mad because it was unnecesary. I mean he was doing GREAT up to that point, with a three pointer that could have cemented him as a playoff stud for years to come, and the chance for the Spurs to get yet another championship, and he goes and does something THAT stupid!!? Hey, I'm still his biggest fan, but dude better bring it this season like never before... patience is growing thin. I want to consider him among the greats, but I can't do that with only ONE great season, one ok season and a mediocre onehttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif.
True. But eventually you gotta move on from the dwelling shit, what might have been and all that crap.
Hopefully Manu will redeem himself this season and pitch in to bring us a title.

timvp
10-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Only thing I fault Manu for last year was going into that little cry baby mode after losing Game 3 versus the Kings. The three-pointer he hit against the Mavs was one of the clutchest shots in Spurs history. The foul was dumb but Manu has always been more of an energy and instincts guy rather than a high IQ type player.

Southwest Texas Fan
10-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Only thing I fault Manu for last year was going into that little cry baby mode after losing Game 3 versus the Kings. The three-pointer he hit against the Mavs was one of the clutchest shots in Spurs history. The foul was dumb but Manu has always been more of an energy and instincts guy rather than a high IQ type player.

So you are saying Manu has a low BB IQ?

SuperManu!!!
10-04-2006, 12:56 AM
He was really close to make the block. If he had made it, he would be the spurs stud. But since he missed it, he is the dumbest player. I love manu's style of play and i will always support him. My only hope is that TD regains his leadership role in points, offense must run through him

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-04-2006, 05:41 AM
He was really close to make the block. If he had made it, he would be the spurs stud. But since he missed it, he is the dumbest player. I love manu's style of play and i will always support him. My only hope is that TD regains his leadership role in points, offense must run through him
Good point. Manu and the Spurs season were decided by the wrong side of a coin flip.
Sucks that it made Manu's resume lose some of its luster but at least next season is approaching.