PDA

View Full Version : Lock of the year

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Giants giving 4 pts vs Washington this week.

Bet the farm on Washington.

:smokin

Giants suck, Washington is playing pretty good ball and will possibly get Springs back for the game. I look for an outright win, not just a cover.

Hook Dem
10-03-2006, 08:47 AM

Giants suck, Washington is playing pretty good ball and will possibly get Springs back for the game. I look for an outright win, not just a cover.
Jim..........I realize Washington is your team but lets not get carried away! Brunell is still Brunell! To bet is one thing but ......the farm??? Nope!

Phenomanul
10-03-2006, 08:47 AM

But internet booking is banned.... where???

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 08:55 AM
But internet booking is banned.... where???

My uncle Guido can take your bets.....but you better pay him....that is all I can say. Hoffa was one of his clients, FYI.

:)

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Jim..........I realize Washington is your team but lets not get carried away! Brunell is still Brunell! !

Thriving Under the Microscope
Brunell Again Responds to Scrutiny

By Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 3, 2006; Page E01

A week ago, amid a groundswell of support for Jason Campbell, quarterback Mark Brunell reeled off an NFL-record 22 straight completions to help secure the Washington Redskins' first victory of the season. On Sunday, nursing a sore elbow and facing one of the league's elite defenses, Brunell was even better.

He may have thrown a sloppy interception on his first attempt against Jacksonville, his former team and offseason home, but he did an about-face and led Washington to a 36-30 overtime win with a game-winning, 68-yard strike to Santana Moss. It was a familiar script for Brunell in this city, and the latest fairy-tale comeback from a player many believed was fit for retirement when Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs acquired him in 2004.

3. Tag This Article

A year ago, Brunell was seemingly playing for his career after losing his starting job midway through 2004. He performed at a Pro Bowl level much of 2005, but was injured and ineffective in the playoffs and, like the entire offense, had a feeble start this season. Now, yet again, scrutiny becomes him, with Brunell's Week 3 performance in Houston perhaps his latest rebirth. He has a 122.7 passer rating in Washington's consecutive wins, with the offense compiling 976 total yards in two weeks.

"When you get later in your career, everyone doubts you, whether you're too old, whether you can't do it no more," Moss said. "All I have seen since Day One is a guy who goes out, goes to work, don't say much, don't complain much, and he's the guy. And until he's not the guy, then you can say what you want about him. But he's our guy, and I'm always sticking to his side, because I know that without him we wouldn't be the Redskins offense that we are."

For all of the accuracy and efficiency Brunell displayed against Houston, the performance came against a porous defense. Associate head coach Al Saunders called a preponderance of screen passes and quick slants near the line of scrimmage that did not tax Brunell's arm. The Redskins pointed to the game against Jacksonville as a true test for Brunell, and the matchup against his former team was particularly emotional for the Redskins quarterback.

He responded with possibly his best outing as a Redskin. It was the first time Brunell threw for 300 yards or more in a Washington win -- there was no padding of stats with the game out of reach -- and every pass was crucial to the outcome. Brunell completed passes of 19 yards or more to five teammates after Washington struggled to mount any such gains in the opening weeks, and his 117.2 passer rating was his best in any game in which he had attempted at least 30 passes since early in the 1998 season. Over Brunell's final 29 attempts after the interception, he posted a 135.6 rating and tossed three touchdowns to Moss.

"After the pick, he was on the sidelines saying, 'Let's go, we've got to score, we've got to put up points,' " tailback Clinton Portis said. "And we went out and did that."

After two weeks, Brunell ranked dead last among starting quarterbacks in some areas; now he is 10th among current starters in passer rating and eighth in third-down passer rating. Sunday was a synthesis of his Redskins career, with all that Gibbs prizes most in him -- experience, leadership, moxie -- rising to the fore. He threw the initial interception, completed just 8 of 16 passes in the first half, then went 10 for 14 for 202 yards in the second half and overtime.

"That's a credit to him and the kind of person he is," Gibbs said. "I think he continues to fight all the time. He doesn't seem to let criticism or anything else bother him, which is part of being a good quarterback. If you can't deal with that, chances are you're going to have a tough time dealing with everything else that comes from playing quarterback."

Brunell had thrown six straight incompletions on third-down passes by the midpoint of the third quarter, then located tight end Chris Cooley for a first down on third and nine, hit wide receiver Brandon Lloyd down the sideline for 33 yards on third and six, and the Redskins completed that drive by going ahead, 20-17.

On the ensuing possession, Brunell completed an eight-yard touchdown pass to Moss on third down for a 27-17 lead in the fourth quarter.

"I've done that so many times in my career, start with an interception," Brunell said. "I've been doing this a long time, and sometimes in the first series you throw one and have a turnover, but you can't let it bother you. You go out and keep fighting and don't lose confidence and just keep things going, and we were fortunate to have a good night."

Brunell was playing with several stitches in the elbow on his throwing arm after suffering a deep laceration against Houston, and only returned to practice Friday. He wore a bulky pad but eventually got used to it -- Brunell expects to wear it again Sunday against the New York Giants -- and it certainly did not hinder his delivery on the final throw of the game, when anything other than a big-league fastball would have likely resulted in an interception or Moss absorbing a crushing hit from two converging defensive backs.

"Mark put it on a rope," Moss said. "I made a comment that his arm looked like it was really rested come Friday of last week, and I'm glad it was, because he put it in there and all I could do was just make a play out of it."

The ending left Brunell unable to reconnect with his many friends on Jacksonville's sideline, but before the game he shook hands with the team's owner and exchanged pleasantries with trainers and the equipment staff. A few moments after that final throw, Brunell was one of a group of players leaping into the crowd behind the end zone. He was stuck in a precarious headlock at one point, but wiggled free.

"It was pretty ugly in there," Brunell said. "I'm going to find that fan, too. He wouldn't let me go. I couldn't even breathe because I ran down the whole field, but it was pretty fun."

Print This ArticleE-Mail This Article
RSS Feed
Permission to Republish

tlongII
10-03-2006, 10:41 AM
The Giants will blow the Redskins out.

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 10:54 AM
The Giants will blow the Redskins out.

Hmm, let me see, Washington takes Seahawks down to wire in playoffs last year, Giants get blown out by Seahawks a week ago, and now you say Washington will get blown out by Giants???

:lol

MajorMike
10-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Ok... not even talking your lock, which I hope the Skins win, but comparing a game last year with a reg season game this year?

Let's see... the Raiders beat the Cowboys last year and the Cowboys beat the Skins this year, so the Raiders should beat the Skins this year, right?

johnsmith
10-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Hmm, let me see, Washington takes Seahawks down to wire in playoffs last year, Giants get blown out by Seahawks a week ago, and now you say Washington will get blown out by Giants???

You can't use logic like that in the NFL. The Steelers lost 7 games last season but won the super bowl. So by your logic, there were 7 teams that were more deserving of the super bowl then the Steelers. I'm not trying to start an argument on this one, I just don't like that logic and it's mainly because I have a buddy that is a huge Giants fan and the year the Broncos went undefeated until week 14 and then went on to win the super bowl, the Giants were the ones that knocked them out of perfection during the regular season so he's always trying to reason with me that the Giants were a better team that year........he's an idiot by the way.

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 11:54 AM
You can't use logic like that in the NFL. The Steelers lost 7 games last season but won the super bowl. So by your logic, there were 7 teams that were more deserving of the super bowl then the Steelers. I'm not trying to start an argument on this one, I just don't like that logic and it's mainly because I have a buddy that is a huge Giants fan and the year the Broncos went undefeated until week 14 and then went on to win the super bowl, the Giants were the ones that knocked them out of perfection during the regular season so he's always trying to reason with me that the Giants were a better team that year........he's an idiot by the way.

my logic is perfectly fine. The Redskins are virtualy the same team, and the Giants just got blown out a week ago. The Seahawks are not even as good now as last year. The Giants should be 0-3 right now. They were down 24-7 to Eagles and got lucky and won after Eagle self imploded.

I will bet you right here that the Giants do not blow out Washington this week.

leemajors
10-03-2006, 12:23 PM
manning can still pick apart those washington CBs. burress should be able to run wild. i don't think they can magically shore up the cb situation by just putting springs back in. should be a high scoring game.

johnsmith
10-03-2006, 12:25 PM
my logic is perfectly fine. The Redskins are virtualy the same team, and the Giants just got blown out a week ago. The Seahawks are not even as good now as last year. The Giants should be 0-3 right now. They were down 24-7 to Eagles and got lucky and won after Eagle self imploded.

I will bet you right here that the Giants do not blow out Washington this week.

Where do they play, NY or DC?

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Where do they play, NY or DC?

New Jersey

johnsmith
10-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm picking the Giants to win. Coming off a bye plus an emberassment, I'm picking them to win.

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm picking the Giants to win. Coming off a bye plus an emberassment, I'm picking them to win.

my condolences.

johnsmith
10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
my condolences.

I wouldn't touch this game if I were betting real money though. I would take the over though, regardless of what it's set at.

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't touch this game if I were betting real money though. I would take the over though, regardless of what it's set at.

Last year, you would not bet on the over in a Washington game, if your life depended upon it....this year, you might be right. It could be more pts than the Jacksonville game, like 42-34....

johnsmith
10-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Last year, you would not bet on the over in a Washington game, if your life depended upon it....this year, you might be right. It could be more pts than the Jacksonville game, like 42-34....

Yeah, no shit. I didn't even think of that when I said I'd take the over. How things change from season to season in the NFL is unbelievable.

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
NYG and Washington are 2 and 3 in the league in OFFENSE so far this year.

How fucked up is that?????

johnsmith
10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
NYG and Washington are 2 and 3 in the league in OFFENSE so far this year.

How fucked up is that?????

And David Carr has the highest passer rating. Personally, I love parody.

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 01:48 PM
And David Carr has the highest passer rating. Personally, I love parody.

I love parody too...as I like to laugh....but what about parity. Do you like that too?

johnsmith
10-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I love parody too...as I like to laugh....but what about parity. Do you like that too?

Son of a bitch. I hate when I don't read what I write.

BigZak
10-03-2006, 03:13 PM

you fuck up this streak the skins got going Jim and so help me God, i'm gonna borrow 800 bux from you...:cuss

Jimcs50
10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
you fuck up this streak the skins got going Jim and so help me God, i'm gonna borrow 800 bux from you...:cuss

Hakuna Matata

King
10-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Jaguars beat the Cowboys

Cowboys beat the Redskins

Redskins beat the Jaguars

What does that mean? Nothing. Same as your Seattle/NYG/Skins analogy.

johnsmith
10-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Jaguars beat the Cowboys

Cowboys beat the Redskins

Redskins beat the Jaguars

What does that mean? Nothing. Same as your Seattle/NYG/Skins analogy.

That's what I was trying to get at. Good job explaining something far better then my attempt.

Loose Cannon
10-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Giants by double digits.

johnsmith
10-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Huh?

Horry For 3!
10-08-2006, 03:02 PM
:lmao You fucking idiot Jim, too bad I bet on the Giants and WON

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Jim must have been huffing some nitrous oxide when he made the post.

Manny, Zak...you may proceed to kick his ass. :lol

T Park
10-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Predict the Padres are gonna win today please :lmao

MannyIsGod
10-08-2006, 05:50 PM
:(

johnsmith
10-09-2006, 07:54 AM

LEONARD
10-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Lmao!!!

Jimcs50
10-09-2006, 12:11 PM
:depressed

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-09-2006, 01:06 PM
I think Jim should get a Spur or maybe a title change for this prognostication.

TheSanityAnnex
10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm down for betting sigs on games, but telling others to bet the farm and then seeing that game :lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm down for betting sigs on games, but telling others to bet the farm and then seeing that game :lmao

Too bad you haven't been around for the NBA's trading deadline.

ducks
10-09-2006, 02:05 PM
jim needs to sfu so redskins will win

MajorMike
10-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Wow, how you gonna get the farm back?

Jimcs50
10-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Wow, how you gonna get the farm back?

Not worth farming any more. George Bush is spending so much in "war on Terror" that we farmers no longer get subsidies, so we are fucked anyway.....good riddance farm..