PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Waive Devin Brown

spursincharge
10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Just reported on KSAT....Devin Brown has been waived...bring him back

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Get him back! He can play SF right? There's our backup.

djohn14
10-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I would love for the Spurs to at least give him a workout.

timvp
10-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Devin Brown has had success in the past against Dirk. He can't be any worse than the Sanders/Melzer/Smith/Lee/Famitaimaamimi/Reiner crew.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Too short.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Too short.

Good rapper.

If we had a spot, I'd take Devin back in a heartbeat.

theroc5
10-03-2006, 07:05 PM
o please for the love God bring him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E20
10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
How is his back.

ducks
10-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Good rapper.

If we had a spot, I'd take Devin back in a heartbeat.

who cares if he can rap?
we want the spurs to win
how he plays basketball is all I call about

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't see how there's any minutes for Devin Brown behind Bruce/Manu/Finley/Barry. If one of Finley or Barry weren't here, then maybe. But I'd still want someone taller.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-03-2006, 07:14 PM
who cares if he can rap?
we want the spurs to win
how he plays basketball is all I call about

Somebody hand me a broken baseball bat.

Russ
10-03-2006, 07:16 PM
This is the opening the Spurs have been waiting for all summer. The free agent season is like a fantasy sports draft -- all the attention goes to the first few picks. But the winning team grabs the sleepers with the last few picks after everyone has lost interest (or is too drunk).

This is that rare opportunity in life to undo a mistake.

Bring him back!!!

timvp
10-03-2006, 07:16 PM
I don't see how there's any minutes for Devin Brown behind Bruce/Manu/Finley/Barry. If one of Finley or Barry weren't here, then maybe. But I'd still want someone taller.

Devin can guard Dirk better than anyone on the team not named Bruce ... and even then Devin might be an even better option because he can rebound.

Right now the Spurs have no second player to put on Dirk.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Devin can guard Dirk better than anyone on the team not named Bruce ... and even then Devin might be an even better option because he can rebound.

I'm just saying right now there's no way he'd get minutes on this roster -- the Spurs are 14 deep already. He isn't going to outplay Finley and Barry and grab their minutes. And he's not going to come in and do stuff like outrebound guys like Bonzi and earn minutes.

E20
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM

I got a question, I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I'm assuming you guys are in the same house. :lol

Instead of wasting energy and time typing it out, why not just tell her in real life? :lol

Or did you already do that.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I got a question. I'm assuming you guys are in the same house. :lol

Instead of wasting energy and time typing it out, why not just tell her in real life? :lol

Because the point of a message board is to read everyone's opinions and discuss them. If he just tells me, then what would that do to promote discussion in the thread.

And yes we are in the same house, he's right behind me.

Russ
10-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Caveat -- make sure he's healthy though.

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Given the concerns for Devin's, ahem, attention to detail while previously in the San Antonio organization, I'd be surprised if a stickler for details would be terribly anxious to bring him back.

I'm not sold on the idea of bringing Devin back anyway. I still think that there will be a deal at the deadline to address a need and that deal will likely break up some of the logjam at the 2-3 spots. But I think that deal will likely break up the logjam to find someone who is better than the guys who go out. I don't think Devin is likely to be better than whatever player the Spurs might target at that point. Devin strikes me, therefore, as extremely likely to be redundant before and after the deadline. I can't see the Spurs carrying 15 veteran guys deep into the season.

And, if I were Devin, I'm not sure that I'd be all that anxious to jump into that sort of situation -- I think I'd rather go somewhere that I can have a hope of competing for minutes on a fairly regular basis.

Buzz the tower, JB.

gospursgojas
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
The Spurs NEED to make a move at Devin

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-03-2006, 07:29 PM

I wanna see what Eric Williams can do on Dirk. He was in those photos from France, so it looks like he's on the team.

Having Brown as a third swingman for the minimum might not be a bad idea, especially if Beno doesn't pan out and Brent has to be the backup point guard.

WHat's the harm in bringing him back?

boutons_
10-03-2006, 07:29 PM
"make sure he's healthy"

Can't they protect themselves contractually with a "pre-existing condition" escape?

timvp
10-03-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm just saying right now there's no way he'd get minutes on this roster -- the Spurs are 14 deep already. He isn't going to outplay Finley and Barry and grab their minutes. And he's not going to come in and do stuff like outrebound guys like Bonzi and earn minutes.

Devin has beaten out Barry for minutes before. The Spurs might have 14 guaranteed contract, but they have 0 guaranteed contracts that are able to guard Dirk.

Even though it might get me murdered on this forum, Bowen got lit up by Dirk. Dirk had his field goal percentage in the playoffs against the Spurs (Phoenix held him to 7% less, Miami held him to 14% less on FG%). Miami made Dirk Nowitzki look like Dirk Nowitzki.

For the Spurs to win the championship, they are going to have to go thru Dallas and Dirk. Bowen is decent against Dirk. Finley, Horry and everyone else the Spurs tried on him were horrible.

Devin in the past has shown the ability to stay in front of Dirk and rebound the ball. He's a better rebounder than anyone on the Spurs' perimeter.

For a minimum contract, I see no reason why Devin shouldn't be brought aboard. At worst, he's good insurance if one of Bowen, Barry or Finley go down. At best, he can guard Dirk and let Bowen guard someone he's capable of shutting down.

timvp
10-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I got a question, I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I'm assuming you guys are in the same house. :lol

Or did you already do that.

So I have everything in writing to make sure I got all my bases covered.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Sorry but if you think that Devin can do a Haslemesque job on Dirk, you are wrong. The Spurs need a longer, bigger player to guard Dirk. Bowen is too light to guard him all game. Devin is too short.

angel_luv
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Oh no! Poor Devin.

ducks
10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
like you could hit a duck :rolleyes :rolleyes

theroc5
10-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Too short made me laugh..like hyprocite i played it...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-03-2006, 08:11 PM
So I have everything in writing to make sure I got all my bases covered.

:smokin

I love you guys! You're great. :D

(BTW - If everything goes to plan I may well be back in SA next March April for a fortnight or so... fingers crossed!)

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I love you guys! You're great. :D

(BTW - If everything goes to plan I may well be back in SA next March April for a fortnight or so... fingers crossed!)

Well that would be terrific! Hopefully for playoff time, but if not, anytime you can see the Spurs (and us!) would be great!

By the way, I'm sure LJ is researching a long post right now on how Devin Brown is great. I am not against Devin, I just don't think he gets minutes behind Barry/Finley.

Leetonidas
10-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, if Beno is injured or not doing well, Barry may take over at backup PG...

I see no reason why we can't have him for the min.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Sorry but if you think that Devin can do a Haslemesque job on Dirk, you are wrong. The Spurs need a longer, bigger player to guard Dirk. Bowen is too light to guard him all game. Devin is too short.

Yeah, we should bring back Malik Rose [/Marcus Bryant]

PM5K
10-03-2006, 08:43 PM
he's right behind me.

Good job LJ! :lol

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Well, if Beno is injured or not doing well, Barry may take over at backup PG...

I see no reason why we can't have him for the min.

If Beno isn't playing well/injured, Vaughn will be the backup point guard.

ChumpDumper
10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Seems odd that an NBA team would pay Devin not to play for them in favor of--

--Dajuan Wagner.

But it is Mullin after all.

timvp
10-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Barry hasn't shown the ability to beat out Devin for playing time when both are healthy. With Barry, Finley and Bowen having a combined age of over 100, you'd think Spurs fans would be open to getting insurance for the minimum. Especially insurance which has proven to be able to play in the Spurs' system and come up big in the playoffs.

I guess not.

td4mvp21
10-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Get him screw Barry.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Brent Barry is about to start the worse season of his career--besides his game 1 buzzer beater last year, he really did jack shit all last season too, and I'd be unsurprisingly happy when Devin beats out Barry for minutes: not only does he D and rebound better, but he's young and has HUTHLE.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Barry hasn't shown the ability to beat out Devin for playing time when both are healthy.

Is Devin healthy?

With Barry, Finley and Bowen having a combined age of over 100, you'd think Spurs fans would be open to getting insurance for the minimum.I guess not.

Devin's back is like that of a 100-year-old, so I think it's all good :angel

Honestly I don't mind Devin here. I just don't think he's going to beat anyone out of minutes. The main swing rotation is Manu/Bowen/Fin. Barry gets spot minutes and then Devin gets scraps? If they are going to use the 15th spot (which they might not) I'd rather it be a young guy that they can possible mold to be Bruce's replacement. Not Devin, who will never be Bruce's replacement.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-03-2006, 08:54 PM
but some people are content with other people's scraps

timvp
10-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Is Devin healthy?

He missed one game last year. I guess the back problems the Spurs' PR machine put out there were a little overexaggerated.

Finley hasn't played all 82 game in years. Barry hasn't played 82 games in his 13 year career.

Devin's back is like that of a 100-year-old, so I think it's all good :angel

Or so the PR machine would want Spurs fans to believe.

Honestly I don't mind Devin here. I just don't think he's going to beat anyone out of minutes.

Yeah, nobody ever expects it. But his last year here, he beat Barry out of minutes. The year before, he beat Bruce Bowen out of minutes in the playoffs.

The main swing rotation is Manu/Bowen/Fin. Barry gets spot minutes and then Devin gets scraps?

Again, Devin has shown he can beat out Barry for minutes. And to put Barry down for minutes would be ignoring how he choked in the playoffs in all but a couple games.

If they are going to use the 15th spot (which they might not) I'd rather it be a young guy that they can possible mold to be Bruce's replacement.

Like who? Melvin Sanders sucks. Richard Melzer is as old as Devin Brown. Jamar Smith is a power forward. Jared Reiner is the white Steve Erkel. Charles Lee averaged like 2 minutes in summer league. Olu Famiataimsaireameiamaiamami went to Arkansas.

Compared to what the Spurs invited to camp, Devin would be a great option.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Richard Melzer is as old as Devin Brown.

And taller by four inches with a huge wingspan. I'd rather wait and see what he can bring. I know what Devin has to offer. Spurs need an eventual small forward replacement. Devin isn't it.

Brodels
10-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Guys like Devin Brown are a dime a dozen. Sure, he's played in the system already and he's somewhat of a known quantity, but his ceiling is low. Why sign Devin to sit on the bench? If they want somelike Devin Brown during the regular season, they can just sign a player just like Devin Brown. Otherwise, they can give a young guy a chance to get around the team or hold that spot for a useful veteran if one becomes available.

If the season comes down to Devin Brown being a key for his alleged ability to defend Dirk, I think the Spurs are in trouble anyway.

Shoot for superiority, not mediocrity. I like Devin, but the need isn't there right now.

Das Texan
10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
I'd be game to bringing Devin back.

Russ
10-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Guys like Devin Brown are a dime a dozen.

So were Malik Rose, Avery Johnson, and James Silas when the Spurs picked them up off waivers. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-03-2006, 09:42 PM
BTW, I wouldn't be opposed to us bringing Devin back, I just think we should temper expectations that he becomes our sixth man, or a Dirk Stopper, etc.

Spurs16212
10-03-2006, 10:15 PM
All Devin would have to do on Dirk is be a pest...... He is athletic and can jump.... I am sure Devin would be able to guard Dirk alot better than most of what we currently have on the roster. Getting him for the minimum wouldn't be a bad idea.....

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2006, 10:16 PM
The Spurs Are Old And Devin Is Young I Said

Spurs16212
10-03-2006, 10:21 PM
What about trading Eric Williams for a draft pick in 2007 or waiving him..... I believe Devin would be a better fit here than Williams.....

ploto
10-03-2006, 10:33 PM
He missed one game last year. I guess the back problems the Spurs' PR machine put out there were a little overexaggerated.

Or so the PR machine would want Spurs fans to believe.

Bing- Bing- we have a winner.

I have never been able clearly to understand, but apparently the Spurs were not interested in bringing Devin back. What they said about how they would have kept him would they have not been able to get Finley was for the home town fans of the home town boy. Believe me or not- if Finley had not come, the Spurs were set to sign Jason Kapono. No joke. That is why he signed so late with Miami. I don't know if the Spurs simply felt like he got his chance and didn't do enough-- or if it was something else.

It's not that I think Devin is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he is a fine option for the minimum. People forget, he outplayed many a Spurs swing man in 2004 against the Lakers.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 10:40 PM
I don't know if the Spurs simply felt like he got his chance and didn't do enough-- or if it was something else.

Too short to play small forward, late to practice, missing practices, a back condition that might be problematic in the future. All those things add up.

Again, I don't mind Devin here. But I'd rather have someone who could eventually replace Bruce.

wildbill2u
10-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Does anyone here understand that he was just WAIVED by a team that isn't a contender for anything? And traded away by the team that picked him up as a free agent. And not resigned by the Spurs. Sure, there are always exceptions who wind up on the right team and excel, but doesn't Devin's careet look like it's going downhill.

I'm as sentimental as the next guy, but we really need to retool with guys who have a chance to develop into solid rotation players. Devin simply doesn't fit.

theroc5
10-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Bing- Bing- we have a winner.

I have never been able clearly to understand, but apparently the Spurs were not interested in bringing Devin back. What they said about how they would have kept him would they have not been able to get Finley was for the home town fans of the home town boy. Believe me or not- if Finley had not come, the Spurs were set to sign Jason Kapono. No joke. That is why he signed so late with Miami. I don't know if the Spurs simply felt like he got his chance and didn't do enough-- or if it was something else.

It's not that I think Devin is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he is a fine option for the minimum. People forget, he outplayed many a Spurs swing man in 2004 against the Lakers.
yep, didnt he start in game 6 or 7?
Parker/beno/barry
Manu/finely/barry
Bowen/brown/finely
duncan/horry/butler
elson/bonner/butler
oberto and sanders can get some min some where...but barrys on the way decline and this really shows that we have min for him, he is straight fire power of the bench and can play some d. hes the home town favorite and hes played here 2 yrs ago, if we can get him for cheap then why not?
so now the question remians, will we sign him or even look at signing him?
i hope

by the way i think in the mean time at training camp and practise we work on the Sanders project aka the next bowen

theroc5
10-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Too short to play small forward, late to practice, missing practices, a back condition that might be problematic in the future. All those things add up.

Again, I don't mind Devin here. But I'd rather have someone who could eventually replace Bruce.
your being to picky, whos left? a 1 yr deal or heck even a 2 yr deal couldnt hurt. spur fans have been waiting all yr for that special player to be signed so why cant they give us what we want.

Marcus Bryant
10-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Maybe Holt will splurge for the vet minimum.

ploto
10-03-2006, 10:46 PM

Those are the things I meant-- I know he had some questionable practice habits and tardiness problems early on but I thought they were fixed fairly quickly- maybe not?? I also heard rumblings of his having conflict with Sloan so that is not a good sign for him there either.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 10:51 PM
your being to picky, whos left? a 1 yr deal or heck even a 2 yr deal couldnt hurt. spur fans have been waiting all yr for that special player to be signed so why cant they give us what we want.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd rather try out a guy like Melzer who has some height and defense to see if he can eventually be a backup small forward. I doubt the Spurs are going to carry 15 players anyway (they didn't last year). So they probably won't sign any of the training camp guys or anyone else.

Winnipeg_Spur
10-03-2006, 11:08 PM
I'd take Brown back. In that Dallas series they just weren't leaving our perimeter shooters open, so Barry was pretty useless on O. If we're not getting anything from that spot anyway may as well put someone who could actually play some defense on the floor...

Louie Vega
10-03-2006, 11:12 PM
There is only 1 head coach in the NBA who can get the most and bring out the best in Devin and that coach is POP.

SequSpur
10-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Devin Brown can't guard Dirk Niggawitski... Come on dude.... I am a huge D. Brown dude, but come on dude.... That's a little over the top and chain hanging low...

I say waive Vaughn, Paino and Williams and move the fuck on and sign the ex.. WC Cougar...

Bring him back!

Spurs16212
10-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Why not sign him for the pre-season to a non-guaranteed contract and have him battle for a roster spot..... Highly doubtful teams will line up to go after Devin.

iceman44
10-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Bring Devin back. I'd take him back in a heart beat.

SenorSpur
10-04-2006, 12:30 AM

...which is exactly why I'm concerned that the Spurs HAVE NOT yet adequately addressed this position. And it doesn't appear they can do anything about it this year either.

After all, Bowen isn't getting any younger and he simply cannot guard every team's first and second scoring option.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Devin Brown guarded Dirk well? Thats some revisionist bullshit right there.

judaspriestess
10-04-2006, 12:59 AM
that sucks for Devin!!

I hope he finds a home period. Good luck Devin

timvp
10-04-2006, 01:06 AM
Devin Brown guarded Dirk well? Thats some revisionist bullshit right there.

Devin OWNED Dirk in the fourth quarter. I don't think Dirk hit more than one basket on him.

In the fourth quarter, Brown held Dirk to 0-6 shooting.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6932&page=1&pp=26

Whoops.

Big P
10-04-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm guessing that Devin will be picked up rather quickly by a quality team...he wont be out of work long.

polandprzem
10-04-2006, 02:24 AM
And yes we are in the same house, he's right behind me.

Is he always behind you?

Kori Ellis
10-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Is he always behind you?

:)

When we are both online, yes.

polandprzem
10-04-2006, 02:34 AM
:)

When we are both online, yes.

And offline he is ahead of you? I do not believe it. :)

And yup Davin would be good for the spurs, but wow the spurs have so many "at the same level" guys that it is insaine. But I would take he. Why not. HE still can bring it. The problem with the injury would not be as big as it was just because we have already third stingers :)

Bruno
10-04-2006, 03:54 AM
How is his back.

That's what I wonder too.

I remember Pop saying that "Devin wasn't the same player after his back injury".
Devin has been quite bad with Utah (low FG%, average rebounder...), maybe one of the reason is that he has lost some athletism.

All in all, I rather sign a bigger player who will be a better rebounder and will likely do a better job an a player like Dirk.

Gummi
10-04-2006, 06:48 AM
There's no room for Devin here and we have a player in Eric Williams that IMO could be a decent option on Dirk. I'd much rather have Barry and Williams then Devin.

Devin has been overrated in San Antonio since day one. Just because he played high school ball there doesn't make him irreplaceable.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Whoops.One game does not a trend make LJ.

RC's Boss
10-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I would love for the Spurs to at least give him a workout.
He doesn't need much of a workout... The same system.

Bruno
10-04-2006, 09:47 AM
He doesn't need much of a workout... The same system.

And Spurs whole staff is in France (Buford, Presti, Pop and his assitants..) : Devin likely wants to sign as soon as possible because training camps have still started and I don't see how Spurs can give him a workout

CharlieMac
10-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Im the only one here thinking the Mavs wont even make it deep in the playoffs this year.

wildbill2u
10-04-2006, 10:38 AM
There is only 1 head coach in the NBA who can get the most and bring out the best in Devin and that coach is POP.
Apparently Pop didn't want the job. He let Devin go as I remember.

When it comes down to it, it isn't a quesion of "getting the most and bringing out the best' in a hometown role player. The question is whether he fills a role better than the players already on the squad.

What is the upside for Devin on the Spurs? The downside is we have another 'tweener' that's too short for the admitted hole at SF and whose main attribute--athleticism--may have been irreparably damaged by an injury.

For a marginal player, even a small loss of his main talent may be the difference between a successful career and an early exit from the game.

dbestpro
10-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Devin brings energy from the bench. Any move to get Devin will result in a move to send Barry elsewhere. Elson has been claimed to be one of the faster center's in the league. I wonder if Pop is thinking about putting Elson out on Dirk.

polandprzem
10-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Im the only one here thinking the Mavs wont even make it deep in the playoffs this year.

Probably cause dallas is the team to beat this year. And hopefully Spurs will beat them.

George Gervin's Afro
10-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I like Devin Brown and he helped us when he was on the team. He's a sturdy 6'5 who could play 'post up' big guards ..cough..cough ..bonzi wells..cough, cough... Melo.... types..

T Park
10-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Is everyone forgetting who was the player that made small ball work in 04 05?

Brown played the power forward position, and rebounded well as well defended.

Suck up your pride front office and resign this kid, and cut the tall white dude.

ChumpDumper
10-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I'd take him back if Melzer and Smith show no potential. He could beat out Barry for fourth swingman, but I don't see where he's going to be a season difference maker if he's not going to play much.

Bruno
10-04-2006, 01:46 PM

Suck up your pride front office and resign this kid, and cut the tall white dude.

It was before his back injury. Devin wasn't a good rebounder with Jazz last year.

If Devin isn't at his pre-injury level, I rather see Barry getting playing time.
If Devin is at his pre-injury level, I take him over Barry and Spurs should trade Barry.

Obstructed_View
10-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Is Jaren Jackson available?

polandprzem
10-04-2006, 02:04 PM

Ohh come one - you don't want Penny anymore?

kskonn
10-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Derek Anderson?
:rolleyes

willie
10-04-2006, 02:50 PM
that's nba champion derek anderson to you

Mixability
10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Oh no! Poor Devin.

thanks for the insight

:tu

Ballcox
10-04-2006, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't mind giving the guy a shot to prove himself still capable of playing and contributing significant minutes, no real harm in that. Also, I'm not buying into he's shorter so he can't defend Dirk argument/rebound well. There have been a number of guys in the NBA who have been great rebounders and have been undersized. In the end, rebounding is all about determination and hustle and basically wanting to go through a brick wall to get the ball. Some guys have that, some don't.

Buddy Holly
10-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Probably cause dallas is the team to beat this year. And hopefully Spurs will beat them.

Uh, the Miami Heat are the team to beat.

Spurs Dynasty 21
10-04-2006, 05:18 PM
I would like to see him back in SA

timvp
10-04-2006, 06:16 PM
One game does not a trend make LJ.

Devin also guarded The Biggest Three there is in Dirk Nowitzki and held him to 6-17 from the field.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4976&highlight=devin+brown+dirk

There's another game.

Dre_7
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
There's another game.

Pre back injury!

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
sign him up and someone sell tpark another devin brown jersey i said

timvp
10-04-2006, 06:27 PM
I don't see the harm in Devin Brown for the minimum. At worst, he's your 15th man that could come into play if the Spurs face injury problems. At best, he becomes a rotational player.

The only training camp hopeful that I have hope for is Richard Melzer ... and he is facing loooooooooong odds. He played Division III basketball in college and averaged under 10 points per game in the NBDL in his latest stint there. Not to mention how he was an average player in the worst league in the world (the Australian basketball league). To expect Melzer to step foot on an NBA court is wishful thinking.

What doesn't make sense is to say the Spurs shouldn't sign Devin because they may make a move down the line. How often in Spurs history do they make a midseason trade or pick up someone midseason? It just doesn't happen often enough to hold off on signing a player now.

Signing Devin Brown, or even someone like Qyntel Woods, makes a whole lot of sense.

T Park
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Once again....

When they played small ball.

It was successfull only with Brown in the lineup....

ducks
10-04-2006, 07:02 PM
devin brown for the min why not
but he has to agree to be happy on the bench
barry is on the block anyhow and there are no guarantees who they will get in return

Bruno
10-04-2006, 07:13 PM
I don't see the harm in Devin Brown for the minimum.

Luxury tax.

ducks
10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
could they not cut eric williams then though?

Bruno
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
could they not cut eric williams then though?

They had to work on a buyout for something like $3M on his $4.2M salary.
And if Eric Williams is not to far from the level he had with nets 18 months ago, he will help Spurs way more than Devin, especially against Mavs and Dirk.

timvp
10-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Luxury tax.

He would count as much as one of the training camp invites and probably less than whoever the Spurs could trade for.

Unless the Spurs are just going to keep 14 and are just stringing these invites along pretending there might be a spot.

timvp
10-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Pre back injury!

Woah. Nice use of the Wisconsin educational system.

Devin didn't play against Dirk as a Spur after he hurt his back.

ducks
10-04-2006, 11:15 PM
if barry plays backup point
then devin would be nice

Bruno
10-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Unless the Spurs are just going to keep 14 and are just stringing these invites along pretending there might be a spot.

They have done that last year except that they have kept 13 players.

joeyjfive
10-05-2006, 07:15 AM
I loved Devin when he played for us, bring him back.

Supergirl
10-05-2006, 11:51 AM
I think he's more valuable than Sanders, who is our leading contender for the last roster spot. He plays good D and is freakishly anthletic. I'd like to see them bring him back.

MajorMike
10-05-2006, 11:59 AM
No.

MrChug
10-05-2006, 12:30 PM
From watching the Rocky Mountain thingy or whatever you call it, I really liked Melzer alot seriously. And if he's anwhere near the 6'8" 225 lbs they list him at, that kid's pretty damn athletic for being that naturally big. Very good mid-range shooter too...

...with that said, let's bring back Devin.

AND SANDERS IS HORRIBLE...I lost hair watching him on the court :madrun

ObiwanGinobili
10-05-2006, 12:35 PM
all I know is: I love Devin.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2006, 12:47 PM
From watching the Rocky Mountain thingy or whatever you call it, I really liked Melzer alot seriously. And if he's anwhere near the 6'8" 225 lbs they list him at, that kid's pretty damn athletic for being that naturally big. Very good mid-range shooter too...He is that big, but I didn't see his athleticism as any better than average. Jamar Smith played better perimeter D and is a better rebounder, but Melzer does have a better outside shot and can make the occasional block. If the choice is between those two it's a bit of a dead heat right now. Of course now I just read Melzer looks the best in practice :elephant

MrChug
10-05-2006, 12:50 PM
He is that big, but I didn't see his athleticism as any better than average. Jamar Smith played better perimeter D and is a better rebounder, but Melzer does have a better outside shot and can make the occasional block. If the choice is between those two it's a bit of a dead heat right now.

The other thing that I noticed is that he got open without knowing the Spurs offense that well. That means he knows how to move without the ball. Traditional wisdom tells you that he just knows the game better. I wasn't that impressed with Smith, but we'll see.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2006, 12:52 PM
I don't know if the Spurs care, but Melzer really passed the ball well, too.

I'm a homer for Jamar, but he'll probably be starting for the Toros in November.

timvp
10-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Melzer is a below average NBA athlete. He might be able to make up for it with his good feel for the game, good passing abilities and good shooting. But right now, being a D- athelte is what is going to make him a longshot to make the NBA.

MrChug
10-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Melzer is a below average NBA athlete. He might be able to make up for it with his good feel for the game, good passing abilities and good shooting. But right now, being a D- athelte is what is going to make him a longshot to make the NBA.

I can't disagree completely. I'm not saying he's Vince or Kobe, but who is? I'll tell you this, he's better than some of the other stiffs I've seen on the Spurs preseason roster before...(*cough*JamarSmith*cough!*) haha...j/k CD

Bruno
10-09-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm quite surprised that Devin still hasn't signed with a nba team.
.... Maybe he is waiting that Spurs come back from France to sign with them. :)

timvp
10-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Now that Rich "The Phenom" Melzer was cut and Brent Barry looks like he's going to be forced to play backup point guard, Devin Brown makes even more sense.

Brown would come for the minimum and he could fill in nicely in case any of the perimeter players gets hurt. If Beno stays out, Devin could fill Barry's normal role if Barry has to play more point. If Bowen, Finley or Manu go down, they'll be time for Devin. If the Spurs start choking in the playoffs, they'd have a proven playoff performer to call on.

It's late in camp but Devin knows the system. What could it hurt? At least bring him in to see what kind of shape he's in.

Don't make the same mistake as last year when Barry froze up versus the Mavs and the Spurs had no beef to put on Dirk or Bonzi.

GrandeDavid
10-20-2006, 06:30 AM
No way to Devin Brown. Unreliable, and a cancerous work ethic, so I've heard.

Kermit
10-20-2006, 07:40 AM

i've never heard that. i've never heard anything but good said about him, just that he is to short to play the position we need.

SequSpur
10-20-2006, 08:05 AM

You don't have a clue on this topic obviously.

Mr. Body
10-20-2006, 08:24 AM
We need Devin at this point, as far as I'm concerned. Our bench is so lousy and old.

Two years ago, when we were heading for a record for blow-out victories, it was partly because of our solid bench. Believe it or not, a lot of it was Beno and Devin. They were terrific together, they played solid for us.

As it stands, we're not going anywhere without the big three pulling a huge amount of weight. Which means losses where we don't need them, risk of injury, and long minutes. Not that Devin is the answer - maybe he can't play that way anymore - but getting a young NBA caliber player on the bench is golden at this point.

SA210
10-20-2006, 08:33 AM
We need Devin at this point, as far as I'm concerned. Our bench is so lousy and old.

Two years ago, when we were heading for a record for blow-out victories, it was partly because of our solid bench. Believe it or not, a lot of it was Beno and Devin. They were terrific together, they played solid for us.

As it stands, we're not going anywhere without the big three pulling a huge amount of weight. Which means losses where we don't need them, risk of injury, and long minutes. Not that Devin is the answer - maybe he can't play that way anymore - but getting a young NBA caliber player on the bench is golden at this point.
I agree. Bring him back.

wildbill2u
10-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Just reported on KSAT....Devin Brown has been waived...bring him back
His career trajectory has been in a downward spiral--trades and waivers--since the Spurs decided to let him go. Perhaps his tweener size combined with his back injury and reputed bad work ethic have combined to make him unemployed right now.

I don't think he can play like he once did in SA. But those who fondly imagine he was a Dirk Stopper, remember that under Avery, Dirk is now going to the basket and posting up down low. Devin would get killed guarding Dirk.

I have no problem with the Spurs reevaluating him. But if they decide to take a pass, I think we should all understand that he probably can't do the job here either.