PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like the Ball Change?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Well check these people! :lol

Shaq:
The NBA switched to a new, oranger, more synthetic-er basketball this year, and there isn't much love for it. Shaquille O'Neal was the bluntest, saying "I think the new ball is terrible. It's the worst decision some expert, whoever did it, made."

The ball feels cheap, like something you'd give to a 5-year-old. The players say it gets slicker when wet, even though it's supposed to be made of a "microfiber composite with moisture management that provides superior grip and feel throughout the course of a game," according to a story on nba.com.

James Worthy:
James Worthy, at Lakers media day for Channel 9, grabbed one of the new basketballs in his right hand.

"It's wayyyyyy lighter," he said. He also found he couldn't palm it as easily. He swung it over his head, as if to initiate one of his trademark swooping dunks, and said, "I wouldn't be able to do my move."

Luke Walton:
Luke Walton tried to give it a chance, saying: "I'm getting used to it. They're kind of like the old college balls. The more you shoot with them, the more comfortable you get with them."

Corey Maggette:
"Terrible, man," Corey Maggette said at Clippers media day last week. "Terrible."

Sam Cassell:
Leave it to Sam Cassell to have his own perspective.

"Let me see," he said, taking the new basketball from my hands. He rubbed the ball.

"It's round..." he said.

Then he dribbled a couple of times.

"It bounces...

"I LOVE that m-----------!"

-J.A. Adande of LA Times

Bob Lanier
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Sam Cassell:"Let me see," he said, taking the new basketball from my hands. He rubbed the ball.

"It's round..." he said.

Then he dribbled a couple of times.

"It bounces...

"I LOVE that m-----------!"
:lmao

I hadn't heard that one yet.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Each team in the NBA has had one of the new balls as a prototype to practice with since the beginning of last season, so the players are somewhat familiar with it.

I don't think it's going to be a big deal, but I haven't felt it yet :eyebrows

timvp
10-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Probably not a good sign Kori wants to feel new balls . . .

dirk4mvp
10-03-2006, 10:15 PM
It's alright I guess. I didn't really see a need for a change.

jacobdrj
10-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Yes: anything to make the game more standardized is a GOOD thing. I don't know if THIS PARTICULAR ball is any good, but my trusty synthentic balls I always prefer.

Kori Ellis
10-04-2006, 12:38 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000GHWS9S.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._SCLZZZZZZZ_V63186316_.jpg

If you want to buy it, it's $99.99.

ATX Spur
10-04-2006, 12:48 AM
I want to see at least three more quality ball jokes out of this thread. I don't think that's asking too much. :hat

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Here's another one:

Nash: New Balls 'Extremely Sticky'
4th October, 2006 - 6:42 am
Arizona Republic - One day after Shaquille O'Neal complained about the new ball being used by the NBA, Suns guard Steve Nash added his name to the list of those not thrilled with it.

The two-time reigning league MVP said in a conference call from training camp in Italy on Tuesday that players are having a hard time. "It's a very difficult transition," Nash said. "I certainly won't have to lick my fingers. The ball sticks to your hand. It's a big transition. It's extremely sticky."

He said players are used to using the old ball's surface to make certain types of passes, as well as shooting. "All the players are having a real hard time making that transition," Nash said. "Hopefully, we'll find some common ground to normalcy and we'll get used to it. We do have a month to get it going. Right now I would say that the basketball sticks to the floor, it sticks to the backboard. It is different."

MrChug
10-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I love it cuz the Mavs hate it. :lmao

boutons_
10-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I think they should put some multi-colored LEDs in it, lighted by G forces (lights when hits the floor or backboard) or centripetal force (lights win spinning), like LA Gear shoes. :lol

If could be self charging like the shake-to-charge flashlights.

I'm gonna get a patent. mark it down now: I'm claiming original art. :lol

Rynospursfan
10-06-2006, 10:04 AM
If you are putting lights in the ball just make sure that ball lights up like a Christmas tree when the buzzer sounds.

Texas_Ranger
10-06-2006, 10:24 AM
I like it because color didn`t change.

dirk4mvp
10-06-2006, 08:16 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000GHWS9S.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._SCLZZZZZZZ_V63186316_.jpg

If you want to buy it, it's $99.99.

It looks like the balls we use in highschool.

toosmallshoes
10-07-2006, 02:21 AM
I will probably never even touch one. It looks different which I interpret as cool. Yay, new ball. Who cares? For $100 I'll buy an assload of groceries and a magazine and keep using my 10 year old basketball. If they switch to an ABA styled ball... things might get different. All of those colors make it appear to spin slower. Definately helps with free throw shooting. Otherwise... :rolleyes

Sense
10-07-2006, 03:00 AM
Probably not a good sign Kori wants to feel new balls . . .

:lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Why the change in the first place? What was the problem with the old balls?

Behrooz24
10-07-2006, 04:29 PM
These balls are slick. I saw them in the sports department, i could barely palm it unlike the other nba balls.

ShackO
10-07-2006, 06:41 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v222/flatulence-foul/new%20one/th_shaqisanas.jpg

ShackO
10-07-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't think ShaQ liked that ball either....... :rolleyes