PDA

View Full Version : Religious Freedom in America -but only for Muslims

BIG IRISH
10-04-2006, 04:58 AM
:madrun
The U.S. Supreme Court rejected an appeal Monday by evangelical Christian students and their parents who said a Contra Costa County school district engaged in unconstitutional religious indoctrination when it taught students about Islam by having them recite language from prayers.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/10/03/MNG4ILH1201.DTL

The teacher, using an instructional guide, told students they would adopt roles as Muslims for three weeks to help them learn what Muslims believe.

She encouraged them to use Muslim names, recited prayers in class, had them memorize and recite a passage from the Quran and made them give up something for a day, such as television or candy, to simulate fasting during the month of Ramadan.

I though the highest court in the land had said this could not be done?

Ocotillo
10-04-2006, 07:31 AM
This is more of a religious studes class although I concur that the reciting of prayers was over the line. There is not constitutional problem with teaching about religion(s).

In fact it would be nice to have a cursory understanding of non-Christian religions for all of us. I for one didn't know for years that there were Shias and Sunnis until the Shiite's started raising cane in Lebanon in the '80s.

What this class did is very different from having a teacher lead the class in a morning prayer and having a Bible study class during the day.

On the other hand, you can have a comparative studies class whereby you study a Christian prayer like the Lord's prayer or the bible itself.

I think some conservative Christians might be resistant to a comparative study class on different religions for fear that it might cause a young mind to question or doubt their own religion. I did have a friend whose mother had a fit when she took a philosophy course at college because of all the questions about religion that were discussed and had her daughter wondering what was really what.

Mr. Peabody
10-04-2006, 07:57 AM
:madrun
The U.S. Supreme Court rejected an appeal Monday by evangelical Christian students and their parents who said a Contra Costa County school district engaged in unconstitutional religious indoctrination when it taught students about Islam by having them recite language from prayers.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/10/03/MNG4ILH1201.DTL

The teacher, using an instructional guide, told students they would adopt roles as Muslims for three weeks to help them learn what Muslims believe.

She encouraged them to use Muslim names, recited prayers in class, had them memorize and recite a passage from the Quran and made them give up something for a day, such as television or candy, to simulate fasting during the month of Ramadan.

I though the highest court in the land had said this could not be done?

How does this have anything to do with religious freedom? None of these kids were exactly practicing religion. The school had them engaged in role-playing for educational purposes. The school also had role-playing games for their history classes and government classes.

In fact, the son of one of the complaining parents dressed as a priest during a role-playing lesson covering medieval Europe. Do you think they complained at that time? Of course not. If anyone is trying to limit religious freedom, it is the parents who refuse to let their children get exposed to any other set of beliefs.

RandomGuy
10-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Peabody got close to it.

Perhaps Irish can answer the following question:

Were the students involved actually muslims?

The answer is no, they were not.

Since they were not actually practicing a religion, then the claim that there is...

Religious Freedom in America -but only for Muslims

... is not supported by this article is it?

This irrational, xenophobic outrage crap is really starting to wear on my nerves.

2centsworth
10-04-2006, 01:16 PM
nothing wrong with teaching religion as long as Christainity isn't excluded.

ChumpDumper
10-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Wake me when the bigots put together a coherent post.

johnsmith
10-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Wake me when the bigots put together a coherent post.

Why, is it tiring posting on a chat board in your mom's basement wearing nothing but your boxer shorts?

Oh, Gee!!
10-04-2006, 01:26 PM
funny that you picture him in his underwear

ChumpDumper
10-04-2006, 01:27 PM
He's trying to IM me about them.

johnsmith
10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
funny that you picture him in his underwear

Let's be honest here, can you picture him in any other way other then eating Cheetoh's in his parents basement in his boxer shorts?

Leave it to Oh, Gee!! to imply a homosexual undertone to one of my posts.

johnsmith
10-04-2006, 03:56 PM
He's trying to IM me about them.

Just because you are a fucking douche bag "moderator" doesn't make you cool. I promise, you are a jackass. Oh, and who's trying to IM you about what?

johnsmith
10-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Quick ChumpDumper, act like you are actually in charge of something meaningful and give us another, "that's enough". No woman in her right mind would allow you to father a child with her so you have to come on here and act like everyone's angry and "sensible" father? My God Chumpdumper, you are a fucktard.

NeoConIV
10-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Thank God for homeschooling.

johnsmith
10-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Thank God for homeschooling.

I think that's the first time I've ever read those four words in that order.

NeoConIV
10-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Here will be my kids textbook on Islam when they get older:

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0895260131.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1123729145_.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Quick ChumpDumper, act like you are actually in charge of something meaningful and give us another, "that's enough". No woman in her right mind would allow you to father a child with her so you have to come on here and act like everyone's angry and "sensible" father? My God Chumpdumper, you are a fucktard.:lol

RandomGuy
10-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Here will be my kids textbook on Islam when they get older:

The factually incorrect guide to islam.

Knock your ignorant ass out, and when your ill-equipped to meet reality kids finally realize how much you have been lying to them, I hope they skimp on your nursing home.

ChumpDumper
10-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Neocon's kids are going to convert.

RandomGuy
10-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Neocon's kids are going to convert.

Once kids really grow up and start to see how morally hollow he is, you might not be too far off.

NeoConIV
10-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Knock your ignorant ass out, and when your ill-equipped to meet reality kids finally realize how much you have been lying to them, I hope they skimp on your nursing home.
:lol Now that was funny

RandomGuy
10-04-2006, 05:10 PM
:lol Now that was funny

I aim to please. I am better with humor, but not really good at insults.
:depressed

PixelPusher
10-04-2006, 07:49 PM

Now, now Random. "skimp" is such an ugly word. I believe the neo-conservatively correct term is "cost correction based on diminishing return on value".