PDA

View Full Version : Newest Spur has bounced around a bit

Kori Ellis
10-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Newest Spur has bounced around a bit
Web Posted: 10/29/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102904.1D.spurs.wilks.1bdd05f.html

In the past seven weeks, Mike Wilks has been signed by the Houston Rockets, traded to the Chicago Bulls, waived, then signed by the Spurs.

His résumé also includes brief stays with the Atlanta Hawks and Minnesota Timberwolves, as well as Huntsville, Ala., where he played for the National Basketball Development League's Flight.

"A lot of people ask me where I live," Wilks said. "I tell them I don't really know. I'm from Milwaukee, but I've been to a lot of other places."

San Antonio is only his latest stop. In need of a little more depth at the point-guard position, the Spurs signed him to a nonguaranteed contract for the league minimum Wednesday.

After arriving in Dallas on Tuesday night, he flew with the team to Laredo, where someone handed him a jersey and a playbook. A few hours later, he had produced eight points and five rebounds in 20 minutes in the Spurs' preseason victory over Houston.

"He didn't have an easy job getting into town and having to run some offense and defense the way he did," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He played confidently. I was impressed by him."

How much playing time Wilks gets with his newest teams remains to be seen. Beno Udrih missed the previous two exhibition games after re-aggravating a right knee injury during Monday's practice, but participated in all of Thursday's workout. He is expected to play in the Spurs' preseason finale tonight against New Orleans at the SBC Center.

Udrih initially bruised his right knee playing for Slovenia's national team last month. He has had two MRIs, which show no structural damage.

"I feel much better," Udrih said after receiving hydro and massage therapy Thursday. "I was pretty light on the court today. I still know (the bone bruise) is there, but I'll keep on getting treatment and try to get the muscles stronger.

"I don't see it as much of a problem."

Popovich said earlier this week Udrih had earned the backup point guard job. However, his latest injury — he has also bruised his left knee and hurt his left hand since being drafted — renewed the team's concerns about his durability.

Brent Barry and Manu Ginobili also can play point guard, but adding Wilks to the roster provides further insurance.

Udrih's injury — and the playing time it might present — helped sway Wilks to sign with the Spurs this week instead of Houston, even though he played four years at Rice and spent last season with the Rockets.

"I really enjoyed our year with him, hated that he had to go in the trade to Chicago and tried to talk him back because we really like him a lot," said Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy, who called Wilks "a beautiful person."

Needing to include another contract to complete their Sept. 8 trade for Dikembe Mutombo, the Rockets sent Wilks to Chicago with a guaranteed $720,046 contract as a farewell gift. The Bulls, who also had point guards Chris Duhon and Frank Williams on their roster, waived him last week.

"I just try to approach it with a positive attitude," Wilks said. "I tell myself I'm going to work hard, play as hard as I can and try to leave everything out there on the floor.

"Hopefully, whatever I do with the team, the coaches will like me enough to keep me around. But I understand this is a business."

Notebook: The Spurs waived center Ruben Boumtje Boumtje on Thursday, leaving 15 players on their roster.

They will have to designate three players for the injured list before the season starts on Wednesday.

—Linton Johnson III has begun wearing a protective boot on his left ankle and isn't expected to play for at least another two weeks.

Though Johnson's ankle is structurally sound, he has a bone bruise that has been slow to heal. The boot will restrict his movement and should prevent him from re-aggravating the injury.

—Forward Sean Marks, who also has missed all of the team's exhibition games, is sidelined with a sprained back.

Solid D
10-29-2004, 12:38 AM
—Linton Johnson III has begun wearing a protective boot on his left ankle and isn't expected to play for at least another two weeks.

Though Johnson's ankle is structurally sound, he has a bone bruise that has been slow to heal. The boot will restrict his movement and should prevent him from re-aggravating the injury.

—Forward Sean Marks, who also has missed all of the team's exhibition games, is sidelined with a sprained back.

The very reason the Spurs should keep 15 around for a while. If another injury occurs (hope not), that's 2 of the 3 on IR who cannot suddenly become "healed".