PDA

View Full Version : Raptors News

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Mo Pete, less meat

By MIKE KOREEN -- Toronto Sun

WATERLOO -- Mo Pipes is no more.

Mo Slim is the new way to describe Raptors swingman Morris Peterson, better known in these parts as Mo Pete.

The longest-serving Raptor, who had a career-best season last year, made a point of not trying to be a weightlifting champion this summer.

"I feel I'm in the best shape of my life right now," Peterson said.

"Plus, we're going to be winning more this year, so I had to slim down just a little bit and cut some of my body fat. It's looking good.

"(Assistant) coach (Jay) Triano got on me last year when I first got back he said my arms were too big so I couldn't shoot the ball like I wanted. I hope he's happy with it. I didn't get too big this summer."

WALKING WOUNDED

Guard Fred Jones and forward Uros Slokar limped off the court during the first day of training camp yesterday, but the injuries are not considered serious.

Jones jammed his big right toe, while Slokar hurt a knee after a collision with Jorge Garbajosa.

NO PASSPORTS REQUIRED

Now that Mitchell knows where every player on his diverse team was born, he doesn't plan to keep harping on the international theme.

"Why does everybody got to break everything up to culture differences and stuff," Mitchell said. "We're a basketball team and they are basketball players. I don't see these guys as being from different parts of the world. They're basketball players. The world has shrunk.

"They speak English, probably better than you. I know their English is better than mine."

angel_luv
10-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Oh poor Slokar! Feel better soon.

What, nothing about Sho? :(

"Why does everybody got to break everything up to culture differences and stuff," Mitchell said. "We're a basketball team and they are basketball players. I don't see these guys as being from different parts of the world. They're basketball players. The world has shrunk.

"They speak English, probably better than you. I know their English is better than mine."

:lol

ploto
10-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Don't worry, Angel. The man who matters knows Rasho is there.

A competitive training camp and practice situation are the inevitable byproduct of general manager Bryan Colangelo's plan to create a deeper team that can play at the high tempo he favours yet is versatile enough to counter other styles when necessary.

"Obviously, the depth will create competition," Colangelo said. "But there are nine new faces trying to make an impression.

"They all want to play, they all have something to prove. Kris Humphries probably feels he was under utilized in Utah. Nesterovic probably feels he was under utilized in San Antonio, certainly in the playoffs. . . . Everyone of the guys that come in wants to start. There is enough depth that it is going to be interesting to watch."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061004.RAPTORS04/TPStory/Sports

angel_luv
10-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks Ploto. :)

Fillmoe
10-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Mo Pete, less meat

where i stopped reading

ploto
10-05-2006, 11:58 AM
WATERLOO -- When the Raptors did not have the basketball last season, they had about as much success as a typical slot machine player.

The opposing team emulated the one-armed bandit and devastated the Raptors regularly.

With the harsh memories of last season in mind, coach Sam Mitchell thought back to his school days to produce a strategy to battle defensive woes.

A defensive report card will be created for each player after each game, but it won't be sealed in an envelope. Instead, it will be posted in the dressing room, right in front of the eyes of the entire team.

"(There will be) a list of 10 things we're going to grade them out on every day," Mitchell said on the second day of training camp yesterday. "It gives them an opportunity to see exactly where they are from game to game, what they're doing, the mistakes they're making. We're just going to put it up on the board so they all can see it.

"To make people more accountable, we've got to get better defensively. That way, if guys are not playing as many minutes as they think, it gives us the tool to say, 'Hey, you're not playing defence.' "

On previous teams for which he has coached and played, Mitchell has seen a similar grading technique for offence. But considering the Raptors were fourth in the NBA in scoring last season and second-last in points against, defence clearly is the area that needs to be addressed.

"(In the games we lost last season), we were scoring just as many points," Raptors star Chris Bosh said. "But when it came down to crunch time, we weren't stopping anybody and that's what really hurt."

This season, the Raptors finally have a capable big man in ex-San Antonio Spurs centre Rasho Nesterovic, who gives the team a blocking presence in the middle.

"Rasho is experienced," Mitchell said. "San Antonio has been one of the top defensive teams the past three or four years. He understands how to guard people and defensive concepts. We think his experience and his ability is going to help us."

RELIABLE

With wing players such as Morris Peterson -- a reliable defender -- Fred Jones, Anthony Parker and Joey Graham helping him out, Nesterovic feels he can make an impact.

"I don't know if I can make the difference, but I'm going to help on defence," he said. "If we play better defence, we can make up a lot of points."

And if they don't play better defence, they'll know about it.

"It's one thing to show them on tape," Mitchell said. "It's another thing to walk in that locker room every day and the first thing that hits you in the face is how did you grade out the night before defensively."

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2006/10/05/1956490-sun.html

angel_luv
10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Oh my gosh! I just came in here to post that article, Ploto. :lol

With wing players such as Morris Peterson -- a reliable defender -- Fred Jones, Anthony Parker and Joey Graham helping him out, Nesterovic feels he can make an impact.

"I don't know if I can make the difference, but I'm going to help on defence," he said. "If we play better defence, we can make up a lot of points."

Fear the Sho! :D

ploto
10-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Newest Raptor feels at home in region
Slokar even came to Cambridge when visiting relatives
Bob Vrbanac, Cambridge

(Oct 6, 2006)

The Toronto Raptors training camp in Waterloo was all business this week, not leaving any time for the sightseeing that some of the players new to the team and new to the country might have wanted to do.

That was disappointing for at least one of the newest Raptors, Uros Slokar, who fell in love with the Waterloo Region when he visited his relatives here more than 10 years ago.

Slokar, one of the new international contingent on the Raptors from Slovenia, stayed with his uncle and aunt, Andre and Pia Brodnik, and their daughter Helene for a month and a half, doing all the typical touristy things people do when they come to this part of the country.

"They were at the universities (University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University) studying computers and music," said Slokar, who picked up some of his English on that trip. "It is and was my favourite place.

"That's why I'm so much happier that I'm here in Waterloo."

While other members of the Raptors had maps and guides to figure out where everything was, and the Toronto and national media worried that the site of the Saturday scrimmage was more than 20 minutes away (only if they took a horse and buggy), Slokar reminisced about all the sites he took in.

The six-foot-11 forward, who played with Benetton Treviso in the Euroleague last year and was the Raptors' second-round draft pick in 2005, said he saw the CN Tower, Niagara Falls and, of course, Canada's Wonderland. But it was the highways and byways of the Waterloo Region that he remembers the most.

"My aunt and my uncle took me everywhere," said Slokar. "They took me to Toronto and around Waterloo.

"My uncle even had some family in Cambridge, and we went to their house - it was a very nice place and the scenery is very beautiful."

Basketball has taken the 23-year-old rookie all over the world, but he said he was happy to learn that he was selected by Toronto and would once again get to visit southern Ontario.

"The nature in this area is very beautiful," said Slokar. "The fields, the trees, the rivers, the lake (Columbia Lake) with the geese inside.

"I forgot a lot of things, but as long as the training camp was in Waterloo I was OK with that. When I heard we were going to Waterloo I said 'Oh nice, I've heard of that place, I've been there and it's very nice'."

Slokar admitted that comfort level with the area has helped him settle into camp. Having seven other players on the Raptors camp who played basketball overseas also helped.

In fact, of the 15 players the Raptors have on their roster, eight of them have international experience, including NBAers like Rasho Nesterovic, the team's projected starter at centre, and second-year point guard Jose Calderon.

But Slokar knows there's a lot of work ahead for him. The team has its stars, with Chris Bosh and Morris Peterson expected to carry the offensive load of the team, but it also needs roleplayers. And he said he was ready to do whatever dirty work the team needed to help the Raptors get back to the playoffs.

"I don't expect nothing, but that doesn't mean I don't have a mission here," said Slokar. "I'm here to show what I can do if I get a chance.

"I'm here to help them win because the Raptors are in need to win the games."

Slokar knows the role he can fill on the team. It's a role he's filled on his other clubs since he turned pro as an 18-year-old.

"They don't need another scorer, or a big ego, or whatever," he said. "They just need to win, because when you win everybody on the team is good.

"I think that's currency in this league, and (winning) will be the main priority throughout the season."

The Raptors finished last season with a 27-55 record, finishing 12th overall in the Eastern Conference and out of the playoffs for the fifth straight year. But there is some optimism around this year's squad with new additions like T.J. Ford, Nesterovic and George Garbajosa, who won a World Basketball Championship this summer with the Spanish national team. The U.S. entry in the tournament, featuring a team made up of NBA all-stars, brought home the bronze from that tournament.

"We want to win as a team," said Slokar. "The European guys are raised in more of a team spirit.

"But the American guys have really helped out with the NBA game, and are a group of great guys."

That team-first philosophy wouldn't go anywhere without the Raptors' stars on board, and franchise player Chris Bosh fully endorsed that commitment to team goals.

The scoring will take care of itself, he said, after one of the last camp sessions at Waterloo's RIM Park. He was more focused on his defence and helping out his teammates.

"I'm at the point I know that I'm going to score," said Bosh. "That's not a factor. I have to improve my defence.

"I want to average two blocked shots and steals a game. Those are the numbers I'm really focused on."

Being the team's leading scorer and a perennial all-star will be a by-product of the Raptors' success as a team. And he likes the team's new additions.

"Last year we weren't as deep as we are this year," said Bosh. "We have talent at every position.

"When we have good guys like that, we push each other when we play five-on-five, and when the game comes we'll be ready. We'll keep coming.

"We know what it takes to get better. We don't want to go back to losing."

As for the international flavour of the teams, Bosh, a Dallas, Texas native, said he already knows a little Spanish and might pick up some Italian.

So communication won't be a problem?

"I know a little bit of Spanish but they're teaching me a couple more things," said Bosh. "It's cool just listening to the guys.

"There's not much of a language barrier - most of them speak English pretty well.

"It's a different experience for us and them, but in the end I think we're all going to enjoy each other's company."

And there is still one universal language they all understand - winning. That's the Raptors' main goal this season said the team's go-to-guy.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/cam/sports/sports_630478.html

ploto
10-07-2006, 11:09 AM
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5439/rashorapts2qg0.png

angel_luv
10-07-2006, 11:55 AM
:clap
Look at the smile. Somebody is happy! :D

I am really happy for Slokar too. Raptors are going to rock this year. :)

Thanks for posting, Ploto. :)

ploto
10-08-2006, 01:12 AM
Rasho is looking lean and ready to go. Thanks to Raptors fans at realgm. :)
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/91/img5888nl1.jpg
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/4840/img5893vl2.jpg

What's interesting about this picture below is that it shows how much Bargnani (7) has filled out in the past few months He is probably taller than Rasho now. Andrea is listed at 250 and Rasho is back to being listed at 255. Who claimed Bargnani would never play center in the NBA? He's 7'1" and 250 at the age of 20.
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5197/img5868qx6.jpg

ATX Spur
10-08-2006, 01:19 AM
I agree with you Ploto, I think Bargnani is going to be a stud. I think it'll take 25-35 games before we see signs of it.

angel_luv
10-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Sho and Slokar's first pre season game with Toronto tonight. :elephant

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/swirsky

angel_luv
10-09-2006, 03:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/intrasquad_ballsmith_100706.html

From Intrasquad scrimmage.

Team Black- which included Bosh, Sho, and Slokar- won. Whoosh! :elephant

angel_luv
10-09-2006, 03:36 PM
There's pictures! I just scrolled up and saw. :lol

How awesome! Yea! :)

ploto
10-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Sho and Slokar's first pre season game with Toronto tonight. :elephant

Rasho will probably play very little. They want to get a good look at the rookies and young guys.

angel_luv
10-09-2006, 08:40 PM
"Raptors win! Raptors win! Raptors win! " :elephant

88-88. 1:08 to go.

Jose Garbajosa... Onions baby with a 3!!!!! 91-88... 30 second left

Washington miss fires..lose ball foul Wizards.

Calderon at line drains two.... 93-88

Humphries takes a charge... That has to be at least five taken by the Raps tonight.

Get out the salami and cheese momma! This ballgame is OVER!

Raptors win! Raptors win! Raptors win!

93-88

angel_luv
10-11-2006, 10:31 AM
The Raptors game is listed on the listen live page at nba.com , but so far no link. :(

ploto
10-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Sometimes the link doesn't appear until the game starts. Don't know why.

angel_luv
10-11-2006, 02:15 PM
As long as it appears. :)

Thank you, Ploto. :)

angel_luv
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Almost tip off time. :elephant

SequSpur
10-11-2006, 08:19 PM
You're a got damn disgrace to Spurs fans. The Raptors blow chunks and you're excited?

I knew you slovenians and stalkers were a bunch of spurs fan posers....

Begone

angel_luv
10-11-2006, 08:28 PM
:blah :blah :blah

Why are you always so short with me? Oh wait! :lol

SequSpur
10-11-2006, 08:31 PM
:blah :blah :blah

Why are you always so short with me? Oh wait! :lol

you're a spursfan poser... how can you possibly watch a raptor game and post in the spurs forum?

I think that is against the house rules.

You need to check yourself.

angel_luv
10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
you're a spursfan poser... how can you possibly watch a raptor game and post in the spurs forum?

I think that is against the house rules.

You need to check yourself.

Don't try to play all tough. I know you really look up to me. :angel

ATX Spur
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Don't try to play all tough. I know you really look up to me. :angel

He has to look up to you. Unless he stood on a stool or something.

angel_luv
10-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Raptors going into overtime with Boston.

angel_luv
10-11-2006, 08:45 PM
He has to look up to you. Unless he stood on a stool or something.

Yes, I know that. :)

angel_luv
10-11-2006, 09:01 PM
And the Raptors win again. They're 2-0! :elephant :elephant :D

SequSpur
10-11-2006, 09:30 PM
And the Raptors win again. They're 2-0! :elephant :elephant :D

Yippeee!!!!

angel_luv
10-11-2006, 09:43 PM
That's the spirit! :cheer

Quasar
10-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Hmm doesn't seem like they're playing Rasho much... about 12 mins per game?

angel_luv
10-12-2006, 09:47 AM
So far in preseason, Coach Mitchell seem to be resting the starters and giving the bench a lot of minutes.

ploto
10-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Hmm doesn't seem like they're playing Rasho much... about 12 mins per game?
Sam said before the pre-season started that Rasho- and some of the veterans like Mo Pete- wouldn't play much at the beginning because he knows what they can do. There are so many rookie and young big men whom he wants to see play and who need time on the floor. Pretty much Rasho has been playing the first 5 or 6 minutes of each half with the starters.

Toronto has in mind a philosophy of shooting fast and keeping the pace quick-which means Rasho will not last as long as he did in a slow-down half-court set style. In practice they play 4 minute scrimmages with a 7 second shot clock and they are all dead!!

angel_luv
10-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Sam said before the pre-season started that Rasho- and some of the veterans like Mo Pete- wouldn't play much at the beginning because he knows what they can do. There are so many rookie and young big men whom he wants to see play and who need time on the floor. Pretty much Rasho has been playing the first 5 or 6 minutes of each half with the starters.

Toronto has in mind a philosophy of shooting fast and keeping the pace quick-which means Rasho will not last as long as he did in a slow-down half-court set style. In practice they play 4 minute scrimmages with a 7 second shot clock and they are all dead!!

How many minutes do you think Rasho will play in regular season games?

Also, is Slokar hurt still? It doesn't seem from the box score that he has even dressed for the games.

ploto
10-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I bet Rasho averages about 22-24 minutes (5 or 6 minutes per quarter). Some nights he will play more depending on whom they play against. They have a group of four bigs that should all get minutes-- Bosh, Rasho Andrea, and Jorge. I think Toronto already has in mind the idea of playing Bosh and Garbajosa together at the end of games because Jorge can shoot from outside- plus he is a crunchtime player. He already hit a huge three late in the first game and had 2 3's in overtime last night. So much for the adjustment to the NBA three-point line!

I don't think Uros is hurt. He is just the #6 big man- behind the four listed above and Humphries.

The Raptors also see Rasho as someone from whom the other players can learn. For example, during the scrimmage they pointed things out to the younger guys that Rasho would do defensively and explain to them why he did that. People may not realize, but in terms of the NBA, Rasho is the second most veteran player this team has. He is also the third oldest.

velik_m
10-12-2006, 12:47 PM
I agree, Slokar is going to be bench fodder - which is a shame, he was pretty good in WC and has a good set of skills.

angel_luv
10-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks Ploto.

I really believe this Toronto team is going to be a great one; wish I had league pass.

ploto
10-12-2006, 04:28 PM
I agree, Slokar is going to be bench fodder - which is a shame, he was pretty good in WC and has a good set of skills.
I haven't seen him play all that much but I wondered from what I have seen-- do you think he is athletic or fast enough to be a long 3? I thought he did some really nice things defensively in the WC and showed more quickness that I realized he has.

Kori Ellis
10-12-2006, 04:35 PM
The Raptors also see Rasho as someone from whom the other players can learn. For example, during the scrimmage they pointed things out to the younger guys that Rasho would do defensively and explain to them why he did that. People may not realize, but in terms of the NBA, Rasho is the second most veteran player this team has. He is also the third oldest.

I think this is very important as Toronto was simply horrid defensively last season. They gave up something like 105 ppg. I don't think they can vastly change that in one season, but Rasho (and the coaching staff) need to get them in the mind set of the importance of team D.

By the way my friend (Noel) should be playing angel/Ploto's friend (Rasho) next Thursday as Maccabi is playing the Raptors in Toronto.

Trainwreck2100
10-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Andrea is a girl's name

ploto
10-12-2006, 04:47 PM
By the way my friend (Noel) should be playing angel/Ploto's friend (Rasho) next Thursday as Maccabi is playing the Raptors in Toronto.
That should be an interesting game with Anthony Parker playing against his previous team. Let's hope the Raptors can win this year!!

velik_m
10-13-2006, 01:56 AM
I haven't seen him play all that much but I wondered from what I have seen-- do you think he is athletic or fast enough to be a long 3? I thought he did some really nice things defensively in the WC and showed more quickness that I realized he has.

i think it would be a stretch to make him a long 3. He has the range and a good shot, but i don't think he's fast enough for 3. I guess you could stick him on Dirk, but not on someone like Carter or McGrady. Him and Rasho made a really good pair on WC, especially on defense.
The problem he will have in Toronto, is that he's almost the same type of player as Bargniani, only Andrea is better, so he'll be a backup of a backup. Unless injury bug strikes Raptors, he'll strugle to find any playing time, let alone any meaningful playing time.

timvp
10-13-2006, 02:35 AM
People may not realize, but in terms of the NBA, Rasho is the second most veteran player this team has. He is also the third oldest.

And the highest paid.

:smokin

angel_luv
10-13-2006, 02:57 AM
Really? Nice. :)

Bruno
10-13-2006, 06:51 AM
I'm not sold at all on Garbajosa.
I don't think he will be a good defender and a good rebounder at the nba level because he is quite undersized and unathletic. Even if he shoots well for the moment, I don't see him being a good shooter from the nba 3 point line.

ploto
10-13-2006, 08:55 AM
And the highest paid.

:smokin
For one season. :D

ploto
10-13-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm not sold at all on Garbajosa.
I don't think he will be a good defender and a good rebounder at the nba level because he is quite undersized and unathletic. Even if he shoots well for the moment, I don't see him being a good shooter from the nba 3 point line.
His FG% is never all that high- but he has the knack of showing up at the right time. It is hard to deny how he played in the WC game without Gasol.

ploto
10-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Centre Rasho Nesterovic, for one, has turned in a grand total of two points and four rebounds in 24 minutes of pre-season play. And the big Slovenian is actually Toronto's highest paid player.

"We haven't put in stuff for Rasho," head coach Sam Mitchell said. "We'll put some stuff in for him, but Rasho's fine."

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=f0eaca05-406f-4396-93c5-0e59323a6e3c&k=69997

jman3000
10-13-2006, 01:51 PM
worst thread ... ever.

angel_luv
10-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I missed this before.

How fun! I wish I could see that game, especially. :)

angel_luv
10-13-2006, 06:09 PM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/
Top story 2 of 7.
Sho talks about Bosh.

Nice interview, although hopefully next time Rasho gets asked about himself. :)

" ( Bosh) is more similar to K.G. than to Timmy... Duncan. "
How cute. :)

ploto
10-13-2006, 11:30 PM

Only fair- Bosh talked about Rasho today. :)

He said that Rasho is a good player overall and knows how to play defense- and talks on defense. He does a lot of little things that will help out. Rasho will take the load off- they'll run a few plays for him; maybe a lot if he gets going. Some nights he could be the main low post scorer. Also Bosh commented how Rasho has won everywhere he has played and that he can contribute a winning atttiude.

I don't know if you listened to Sam's interview today either. He talked about Rasho.

He said that if you watch Rasho on tape that he is always where he is supposed to be defensively-- that he very rarely makes a mistake. He mentioned that Rasho is a good passer and that they think he can be a scorer for them some nights, as well. He also talked about Rasho being an option they have never had before when they need a big body-- and that some nights he will be huge for them- while also acknowledging that some teams will play small. He mentioned the wear and tear on Bosh last season because they had to use him for that and how it wore him down by the fourth quarter. (That sort of goes along with what I had mentioned about Tim this season and whether the Spurs might some nights be forced to use Tim inside defensively on a big body.)

ploto
10-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Nice Article on the Euro-Raptors. It is great for them to all be so close together.

Raptors help European players adjust to new life in NBA - and Canada

TORONTO (CP) - Raptors rookie Uros Slokar says he has everything he needs for life in Toronto.

The Raptors helped the young Slovenian find a house, lease a car and open a bank account. And he never ventures far from home without his trusty map of PATH, the 27-kilometre-long underground pathway system that links the major buildings in downtown Toronto.

The first year in the NBA can be challenging enough. But after an off-season overhaul that brought several European players to the Raptors, Slokar and a couple of his teammates face their first year in the league far from home.

"All the major things - phone, somewhere to live, a place to eat, banking - the Raptors help me with everything, which I really appreciate," said Slokar. "Here it's different for us. We come here, you know you need a bank but you don't know where to go, you need to go into a bank, but who to turn to, what to say, how to open an account. . .? The Raptors help me a lot.

"I know the main things now - the CN Tower, the PATH, things like that. I have a map with me all the time, because you get lost immediately," Slokar added, laughing.

The 23-year-old forward from Ljubljana, Slovenia, lives alone in Toronto in a condo near the Air Canada Centre. Italian Andrea Bargnani, the 20-year-old rookie who became the first European taken No. 1 in the draft, lives nearby with his mom Luisa, who will stay with him until December. Jorge Garbajosa moved here from Madrid with his wife Ainhoa, and lives in the same building as Spanish teammate Jose Calderon and his wife Ana.

"Most of our guys who are on the team this year have travelled the world, but it's certainly a big change for them," said Marc Eversley, the Raptors director of basketball operations.

Eversley, who was hired by the Raptors in June after 10 years working for Nike, grew up in suburban Brampton. Part of his job is to help the new players adjust to life here.

"Whatever that means - setting them up with bank accounts, housing, cars, transportation, accommodations, all of those types of things," said Eversley. "Sometimes it's literally going and picking them up and taking them to see houses, or taking them out to the dealership to secure transportation for the year. Whatever needs to get done, we get it done."

GM Bryan Colangelo looked overseas when he revamped the Raptors this past off-season, prompting the nickname Euro-Raptors. Along with Bargnani, Garbajosa and Slokar, he added Slovenian Rasho Nesterovic, acquired in a trade with the San Antonio Spurs, and Anthony Parker, an American who had played the past six seasons with Israeli powerhouse Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Raptors head coach Sam Mitchell bristles at questions about the cultural differences of his players, saying recently: "I don't see these guys as being from different parts of the world. They're basketball players. The world has shrunk."

But the Europeans do face unique challenges, which the Raptors try to address. There's the language issue, ranging from Bargnani and Calderon, whose grasp of English is shaky at best, to Garbajosa, Slokar and Nesterovic, who speak excellent English.

Last season, a team official accompanied Calderon and his wife to English classes. This year, Eversley made sure the two Spanish players had rooms in the same hotel, and then condos in the same building, so their wives could be close to one another.

"They are together so it's easier for them," Calderon said of the wives. "When we start flying, going away to play, it's hard because they feel like they are alone here, but with somebody, they can go out, they can do something. Without somebody, it's tough for them."

The new players live in a cluster of condos near the lakefront.

"I've got Pape Sow in my building, I've got Rasho just across, I've got both Spanish guys Jorge and Garba across the street," said Slokar. "It's like I'm home."

The newcomers are presented with a "welcome book" when they arrive in town, that lists everything from where to shop to where to eat, including a list of international restaurants.

Calderon and Garbajosa have been embraced by Toronto's Spanish community. Friday night, Calderon and Garbajosa attended a dinner at the Spanish Consulate in Toronto. At the Raptors' intrasquad game last weekend in Waterloo, Ont., a female fan draped in the Spanish flag and her two children chatted with the Spaniards after the game.

"For us, we feel good, everybody is taking care of us, everybody is trying to help us," said Garbajosa. "But when you are so far from your house and you see somebody come from there and they have your flag, it makes you feel happy. It's important for us."

"We walk around the city and the people know you, try to talk with you, say 'how are you feeling, do you like Toronto?"' Calderon added. "I think it's great people in Canada. Our life here is perfect."

The fact Toronto is such a multicultural city certainly makes for an easier adjustment.

"Toronto being an international city and having Greektown and Little Italy, there's a section of the city where a lot of people from Spain can hang out and feel comfortable and feel like they're not too far removed from their own cities or countries - Toronto certainly has an international flavour to it that a lot of cities in the U.S. don't have," said Eversley.

Slokar said it's the little things about Toronto though, that remind him he's in an entirely different country.

"The very small things that people take for granted, from paying the cheque in a restaurant - with gratuity, without gratuity? - to going to a store that is a big store and it's open 24 hours a day, which is unbelievably great," said Slokar. "Back in Europe, everything closes at 8 p.m., and it has a break in between, like from 1-3, so you don't have the luxury of buying everything you want. Here, you need milk, you just go to the grocery store and it's open, you need fruit, you just buy it. That's one of the things I love here."

Perhaps some of the cultural differences will rub off on the Raptors. After the buzzer sounded to end the Raptors open scrimmage Saturday in Waterloo. European players stood at centre court and applauded the crowd - a tradition in Europe in basketball, as well as other sports.

http://www.news1130.com/news/sports/article.jsp?content=s101347A

Applauding the crowd is my favorite tradition from the European game. I would like to see the NBA do it.

velik_m
10-14-2006, 01:32 AM
...and it has a break in between, like from 1-3, so you don't have the luxury of buying everything you want.

That's Italian, not european.

Kori Ellis
10-14-2006, 05:02 AM
Nesterovic to take pressure off Bosh
Seven-footer may lack a scoring touch, but Raptors like veteran big man's game
ROBERT MACLEOD

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061014.RAPTORS14/TPStory/Sports

TORONTO -- During his first eight years in the National Basketball Association, Rasho Nesterovic was never much of a scorer.

There was that career blip during the 2002-03 regular season when the seven-footer soared to a career high of 11.2 points a game while starting 77 contests for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The Timberwolves, however, weren't so impressed by this offensive surge, allowing the Slovene to become a free agent. Nesterovic left town to sign with the San Antonio Spurs. But, in his three years with the Spurs, Nesterovic's offence tumbled.

Last year, starting 51 games alongside perennial NBA all-star Tim Duncan, Nesterovic's scoring average dipped to 4.5 points, his lowest output since his rookie season in 1998-99. His career average over eight years in the league stands at an even seven points.

He is now with the Toronto Raptors, who secured him over the summer in the trade that sent popular Matt Bonner and the brooding Eric Williams to the Spurs.

And it wasn't Nesterovic's offensive capabilities that the Raptors so coveted. It was his big body -- 270 pounds of imposing muscle that the Raptors hope will act as a security blanket for Chris Bosh, who was required to do much of the heavy lifting at centre last season.

As the season wore on, having to battle players who were often 40 pounds heavier -- or more -- extracted a physical toll on Bosh, who still averaged 22.5 points and 9.2 rebounds and made the NBA all-star team.

"In the fourth quarter, it took his legs away," coach Sam Mitchell said of the pounding Bosh received.

With Nesterovic expected to be pencilled in as the starting centre once the regular season begins early next month, Bosh will be able to concentrate more on his duties at power forward, which is much more suited to his slender 225-pound, 6-foot-10 frame.

"I think for us having Rasho gives us some options," Mitchell said yesterday after practice at the Air Canada Centre. "There are nights we're going to play against, not necessarily a dominating centre, but just a big body. And in the past we didn't have that guy with experience that knows how to play, that can go out there and play that guy.

"And if you watch Rasho, if you watch him on tape, defensively he's where he's supposed to be all the time. He very rarely makes mistakes defensively. He's a good passer. We still believe he's going to be able to score for us some nights."

Nesterovic has yet to display that scoring form. Through Toronto's first two preseason games, while averaging 12 minutes of playing time, he has made only one of six shots.

"This is just the preseason," Nesterovic said. "Coach is trying to find the guys that are going to be able to play during the regular season. Players are trying to find their role within the team."

While in Minnesota, Nesterovic had the opportunity to play alongside Kevin Garnett and in San Antonio with Duncan, considered the two top power forwards in the NBA.

Nesterovic believes Bosh deserves membership in that elite club.

"He's an all-star, he's one of the best guys in the league," Nesterovic said of his new teammate, whose free-flowing style most reminds the big man of Garnett. "If he's going to keep working hard, which he does, he's going to definitely improve even more."

Bosh, who will see more preseason action tomorrow when the Raptors play the New Jersey Nets at the Air Canada Centre, said he is just thankful to have Nesterovic along to take some of the weight off his shoulders.

"He's going to take a lot [of pressure] off," Bosh said. "We're going to run a few plays for him, maybe a lot of plays if he gets going. He might have a lot of nights where he's the low post scorer.

"We just want to take advantage of having a low post body that's experienced down low."

Bruno
10-14-2006, 05:35 AM
A less optimistic article about Rasho :

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1160776234392

Big Rasho might clog up the Raptors' speed lane
Go-go style differs from game that Nesterovic offers
Oct. 14, 2006. 01:00 AM
DAVE FESCHUK

Intent on playing go-go basketball this season, the Raptors have built their team for speed. They acquired a blindingly quick point guard, T.J. Ford. They have huffed and puffed through a training camp exercise in which the shot clock, normally equipped with 24 seconds, expires in seven.

And, in unrelated news, they traded for Rasho Nesterovic, the 7-foot, slow-footed Slovenian with three years and $23.5 million (all figures U.S.) remaining on his deal.

Sam Mitchell, the Raptors coach, was being nice about Nesterovic's key physical limitation yesterday. "Rasho can run," said Mitchell, which, translated into the vernacular of a frank-talking coach with relative job security and his general manager's confidence, equates roughly to: "I've known quicker three-toed sloths." :lmao

Time will tell, of course, whether Nesterovic's presence makes sense to a team on the run.

Mitchell, to hear the coach out, offered at least one plausible use for Nesterovic's lumbering frame. When the Raptors play one of the handful of teams that still employs something resembling a physically dominating centre — the defending champion Miami Heat's Shaquille O'Neal, say, or the Chicago Bulls' Eddy Curry (:nope) — Nesterovic could be indispensable. In the past, after all, the task of rubbing up against those imposing forces often fell to Chris Bosh, who would shoulder the load after frontcourt mates such as Rafael Araujo and Jerome Moiso and Loren Woods were exposed as pretenders.

Bosh often expended so much energy battling the bigger men that he was rendered ineffective for the game's stretch run. "It took his legs away," Mitchell said of Bosh.

If the Raptors are spending Nesterovic's salary of $7.3 million to save Bosh's legs, it could be construed as a wise investment. Bosh, after all, signed a contract extension expected to be worth nearly 10 times that amount this summer. But Nesterovic — and here's a bit of barroom trivia that'll trip up your hockey-haired pals — is Toronto's highest-paid player this season. Bosh, playing for $4.3 million in the final year of his rookie deal, doesn't begin earning the big gorgonzola until 2007-08, when he is expected to gross, depending on the salary cap, about $13 million.

"In the past, we didn't have that (big) guy with experience who knows how to play," Mitchell said. "If you watch Rasho, if you watch him on tape defensively, he's where he's supposed to be all the time. He very rarely makes mistakes defensively and he's a good passer and we still believe he can score points at times."

Said Bosh: "He's going to take a lot (of pressure) off. And we're going to run a few plays for him; maybe a lot of plays if he gets going. He might have a lot of nights where he's the low-post scorer."

That last scenario is unlikely for a couple of reasons.

One: Nesterovic, despite starting 83 per cent of his 548 regular-season games, has a career average of exactly seven points. Another: The Raptors are going to be a jump-shot-happy club. And if they can remember to occasionally get the ball to Bosh on the block in between the barrage of 25-footers, they'll be doing well.

Still, Nesterovic, 30, has proved himself as a competent and intelligent role player, sharing the frontcourt with two of the game's superstars in Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. He was on San Antonio's championship team in 2005. He has skills.

But the Spurs, who were beaten by the quicker Mavericks in last year's Western semifinal, got rid of him for a reason, acquiring Matt Bonner and Eric Williams and a future second-round pick in the exchange. Perhaps his kind, the big guy who can't make his free throws (he's a career 55 per cent bricklayer), is as an out-of-fashion dinosaur.

"You see how the league is going," Mitchell said. "A lot of teams go small and so (Nesterovic's role is) going to depend on what other teams do. But there are going to be nights when Rasho can be huge for us."

How many nights and at what price to the pace? One of this season's intriguing unknowns.

angel_luv
10-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Ploto- thanks for the interview recaps. I will go back and listen. Yesterday I only had time for one. :D

I love that Euro- Raptors article. Raptors sound like an excellent organization. I think Sho, Slokar, etc is in good hands.
Interesting that Sho is living in a condo. I wonder if his family moved with him. I just assumed they did.

Thanks for the article Kori. :)

And it wasn't Nesterovic's offensive capabilities that the Raptors so coveted. It was his big body -- 270 pounds of imposing muscle that the Raptors hope will act as a security blanket for Chris Bosh

Really?

"I think for us having Rasho gives us some options," Mitchell said yesterday after practice at the Air Canada Centre. "There are nights we're going to play against, not necessarily a dominating centre, but just a big body. And in the past we didn't have that guy with experience that knows how to play, that can go out there and play that guy.

"And if you watch Rasho, if you watch him on tape, defensively he's where he's supposed to be all the time. He very rarely makes mistakes defensively. He's a good passer. We still believe he's going to be able to score for us some nights."

:tu

angel_luv
10-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Did Dave's dog get run over right before he wrote that last article. Geesh!

ploto
10-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Really?

Rasho was about 270 when he bulked up to guard Shaq his first season with the team. By last year, he wasn't 270 anymore and this year he looks back down to the 255 or so he was his last year in Minnesota.

ploto
10-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Sam Mitchell, the Raptors coach, was being nice about Nesterovic's key physical limitation yesterday. "Rasho can run," said Mitchell, which, translated into the vernacular of a frank-talking coach with relative job security and his general manager's confidence, equates roughly to: "I've known quicker three-toed sloths."
Even the Spurs said last season that Rasho was running the floor the best he had for them.

ploto
10-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Angel- don't let the San Antonio concept of a condo fool you. Lots of cities have beautiful condos. Check out the ones being built by the Air Canada Center.

http://www.mapleleafsquare.com/flash/main.htm

And... if you'd like to purchase a condo that's available now on the waterfront, here is one for sale for $1.2 M. 3/3 over 3300 sq ft-- 38 th floor. Check out the tub :)

http://www.torontocondosandloftsonline.com/14a_read.php?ltl=137996

Bruno
10-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Even the Spurs said last season that Rasho was running the floor the best he had for them.

Running isn't Rasho's best quality.
If Raptors play run&gun, it will be difficult for Rasho and it will be stupid for Toronto (Bosh is more a half court player than Stoudemire, Ford isn't Nash and they haven't a player like Marion who can rebound and run).

I think too that Rasho will do well with Toronto because big centers are mainly in the east and because Bosh is a true PF (Duncan is a PF/C).

ploto
10-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Obviously running is not his strength, but he is in really great shape and is leaner than a couple of years ago-- that was my point.

angel_luv
10-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Angel- don't let the San Antonio concept of a condo fool you. Lots of cities have beautiful condos. Check out the ones being built by the Air Canada Center.

http://www.mapleleafsquare.com/flash/main.htm

And... if you'd like to purchase a condo that's available now on the waterfront, here is one for sale for $1.2 M. 3/3 over 3300 sq ft-- 38 th floor. Check out the tub :)

http://www.torontocondosandloftsonline.com/14a_read.php?ltl=137996

Thanks for the links.
Wow! Those are fantastic- great space and spectacular views.

angel_luv
10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Rasho was about 270 when he bulked up to guard Shaq his first season with the team. By last year, he wasn't 270 anymore and this year he looks back down to the 255 or so he was his last year in Minnesota.

I have a Spurs basketball card of Sho ( which he autographed for me, twice. :)) from 2004. It list his weight as 248. That was why I was wondering- 22 pounds difference seemed like a lot for three years.

Trainwreck2100
10-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Andrea is a girl's name

:downspin:

angel_luv
10-15-2006, 02:35 PM
3-0 Baby! Whoosh! :elephant

http://www.nba.com/games/20061015/NJNTOR/boxscore.html?nav=scoreboardhome

ploto
10-15-2006, 07:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/nets_101506_pic4.jpg

Fans from Slovenia might like to know that Boki played really well today-- shot the ball well- was aggressive- had a huge dunk! I hope he finally finds his spot where he can get consistent minutes.

angel_luv
10-15-2006, 08:07 PM
I feel like I should know this but I don't... :oops
Boki????

angel_luv
10-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Wait- are you talking about Nachbar?

angel_luv
10-16-2006, 08:13 AM
http://i9.tinypic.com/34rygjl.jpg

angel_luv
10-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Toronto at Cleveland about to tip off.

And finally... the audio on NBA.com works. :elephant Listening to opening ceremonies right now! Whoosh! :D

Kori Ellis
10-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Noel is in Toronto right now, Angel. Should I have him go slip your phone number to Rasho? :lol

angel_luv
10-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Noel is in Toronto right now, Angel. Should I have him go slip your phone number to Rasho? :lol

Yes please. :)

Sho rocking both ends of the court. :fro

angel_luv
10-18-2006, 06:49 PM
At 5 minute mark- Bargnani has ten points already. Go guy!

Raptors up 5.

angel_luv
10-18-2006, 08:55 PM
4-0! 4-0! :elephant :elephant

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/scoreboard

velik_m
10-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Slokar is listed as guard :lol

i'm glad he got to play, won't see much of that in regular season.

angel_luv
10-19-2006, 09:27 PM
5- 0 Whoosh! :elephant :elephant

NBA.com's stats are down so I have to wait and see how Sho did.

But...
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/postup_101906.html

Noel Felix led Maccabi with 19 points :fro

Trainwreck2100
10-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Andrea is a girl's name

:ihit

ATX Spur
10-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Good for Noel! I have some Israeli friends here talking about it. They're still pissed at losing Anthony Parker to Toronto.

Kori Ellis
10-20-2006, 02:05 AM
Noel started and was matched up with Bosh for most of the game. He had 19 and 7 and a couple steals and dunks. He leaves for Israel Friday afternoon :(

ploto
10-20-2006, 08:33 AM
History did not repeat itself, but not for lack of trying, as Maccabi Tel Aviv finished its preseason NBA tour with a 118-84 loss against the Toronto Raptors on Thursday night at Air Canda Center in Toronto, Canada. Maccabi was trying to repeat the victory over the Raptors at the same arena last year that made it the first non-NBA club to win on North American soil, but for the second time in three nights, fatigue caught up with the guests. Maccabi led this time by as many as 13 points in the second quarter and ws still up 62-69 midway through the third when it ran out out of energy. Toronto went on a 20-2 run to close the third period and cruised thereafter. The visitors encountered a familiar face in Toronto, none other than Anthony Parker, a two-time Euroleague MVP and a three-time continental champion with Maccabi, who started and scored 11 points for the Raptors. Chris Bosh and Fred Jones led the hosts with 16 points each, while T.J. Ford added 13, Jose Manuel Calderon 12 and Andrea Bargnani 11. Noel Felix, playing just his second game for Maccabi, had 19 points and 7 rebounds. Will Bynum scored 14, Simas Jasaitas 13 and Derrick Sharp had 10. Maccabi swingman Rodney Buford, who is suffering from an eye problem, didn't dress.

Toronto started fast, scoring 6 points in the opening minute, but Bynum and Jasaitas soon answered for Maccabi, which took a modest 16-20 lead. Felix started to jell with his teammates and Sharon Shason came off the bench to nail a triple and put Maccabi up 9 before the Raptors closed the gap to 25-29 at the end of the first quarter. Yotam Halperin got hot as the Israeli champs increased the lead to 34-47, but Rasho Nesterovic's dunk seemed to break the visitors' momentum and a few Maccabi turnovers allowed the Raptors to close the gap to 53-55 at halftime. Things remained tight in the third even as Parker gave the Raptors a 62-61 lead. Bynum ignited an 0-8 spurt that put Maccabi in front 62-69, but Maccabi had nothing left after that. Missed shots and many fouls allowed Toronto to take over, using a 20-2 run to seize an 84-71 lead after three periods. Jones threw down a dunk to start the final period and Maccabi couldn't answer as the game turned one-sided. Maccabi returns to Israel on Saturday and will host Unicaja in its Euroleague opener on Thursday night.

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/1744/180/preseason-report-raptors-118-84-maccabi

angel_luv
10-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Rasho Nesterovic's dunk seemed to break the visitors' momentum

Whoosh! Fear the Sho! :elephant

Mixability
10-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Whoosh! Fear the Sho! :elephant

Roaches don't even fear "No Sho"

z0sa
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
rasho dunked? impossible

ploto
10-22-2006, 09:51 AM
The Raptors currently have the league's third highest scoring offence with an average of 110.0 points per game. Toronto's latest victory, a 118-84 win over Maccabi, featured eight players in double-figure scoring and was the fourth consecutive game the team has scored more than 100 points. The defence has also faired well in the preseason, ranking first in the league with an average of 26.4 forced turnovers per game.
www.nba.com/raptors

I know it is only the pre-season, but for a team in desperate need of improvement defensively, it is a nice statistic and shows a commitment to improved defense.

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 01:18 PM
an average of 26.4 per game?

Holy cow! What is the norm?

Raptors host their Open Practice this afternoon and play Cleveland tonight at 5. :)

ploto
10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Expect a loss-- no Ford, No Bosh, no Bargnani. Humphries gets the start alongside Rasho and Slokar should get a chance to play.

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Expect a loss-- no Ford, No Bosh, no Bargnani. Humphries gets the start alongside Rasho and Slokar should get a chance to play.

I will expect no loss. Let's go Raptors! :)

ploto
10-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Raptors hanging in.

76-72. Cleveland end of 3Q. Rasho with a technical :lol

Considering the Raptors at one point had 2 starters (Rasho and Mo); 1 bench player (Fred Jones) and the #13 and #14 guy (Slokar and Martin) playing against the Cleveland starters, I'm impressed. Don't know how long they can hold on, though.

Must be something in the Toronto water-- one game a dunk-- the next game a Technical. :D

waterbottle2000
10-22-2006, 07:17 PM
just to let u guys know
rasho also blocked lebron

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 07:28 PM
just to let u guys know
rasho also blocked lebron

Fear the Sho! :fro

Raptors have well rewarded my faith in them. Almost have the win! :elephant

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Raptors hanging in.

76-72. Cleveland end of 3Q. Rasho with a technical :lol

Considering the Raptors at one point had 2 starters (Rasho and Mo); 1 bench player (Fred Jones) and the #13 and #14 guy (Slokar and Martin) playing against the Cleveland starters, I'm impressed. Don't know how long they can hold on, though.

Must be something in the Toronto water-- one game a dunk-- the next game a Technical. :D

Did you hear the stupid play by play man on that?

It was the Cleveland guy. Said something to the effect of: " " Either the ref knows Slovenian or Rasho knows English enough to get the point across."

:rolleyes What a :loser

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Raptors win!!!!!!!!!!!! :elephant :elephant

ploto
10-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Props to the Raptors- they held in against the Cleveland starters and their bench outplayed the Cleveland bench. Slokar got some really nice opportunites- rebounded well. Toronto has definitely improved their defense.

Rasho's line doesn't show his impact. If his baby hook had been falling he could have hit double digits, oh well. With Bosh out, they ran more offense through him and he had a couple of really nice assists. It is funny to hear Raptors fans wanting Rasho put back in doing the 4Q when Cleveland was pulling away a little, but the bench held on. Good for them.

In all honestly, I think that the Raptors depth will help them a great deal this year. The bench is better than a lot of teams' benches. They will probably play alot of guys- keep players fresh- as part of their goal is to wear teams down by the fourth quarter. Their 12 man roster is looking good.

Ford
Parker
Peterson
Bosh
Rasho

Calderon
Jones
Graham
Tucker
Garbajosa
Bargnani
Humphries

Martin
Slokar
Sow

They are all such good guys and are having fun. They may catch a couple of teams off guard. We'll see when the season starts- although they drew the most awful schedule for Nov and Dec imaginable. At least the players will bond on the road alot.

Angel- the Raptors Real Training Camp is on tomorrow on NBA-TV at 10:00 AM San Antonio time. Maybe you know someone who has it that will let you watch?? It is replayed a couple of times later in the day.

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 07:52 PM
It is funny to hear Raptors fans wanting Rasho put back in doing the 4Q when Cleveland was pulling away a little, but the bench held on.

That's good stuff. I hope Sho heard. :)

Angel- the Raptors Real Training Camp is on tomorrow on NBA-TV at 10:00 AM San Antonio time. Maybe you know someone who has it that will let you watch?? It is replayed a couple of times later in the day.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe someone can tape it for me. :)

I'm really excited to see the Raptors play- you only get so much perspective from online stats and radio.

ploto
10-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Sorry- still no pictures of Uros, but the media seems to really like him alot- they talk about how he is always smiling. :)

http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/rasho_350_hook__goodenCLE.jpg

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 10:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/quotes_102206.html

SAM MITCHELL
What was it like using a different starting lineup?

We just used the guys we had. I don’t have any set rotation as far as injuries, but we got some depth. It just wasn’t some guys night tonight. I thought (Urso) Slokar played very well tonight, and a few other guys that played better than they have, that’s why you have 12 guys ready to go.

Sounds like Coach Mitchell is happy with Uros as well. :)

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 11:12 PM
I was reading on a Raptors website about the Raptor's open practice.

One of the posters talked about the rookies being forced to sing " Oh Canada" and dance through a Soul train line made up of the cheerleaders.

The rookies were also given Sponge Bob back packs. I am not sure what the significance of the character choice was. :lol

Same forum- Posters there are calling Rasho " Nestea"
As far as reviews go, so far so good. :)

ploto
10-22-2006, 11:17 PM
The rookies were also given Sponge Bob back packs. I am not sure what the significance of the character choice was. :lol

The SpongeBob backpacks were around last year for the rookies as well, but I don't know whose idea it was. Jose had to carry one around.

angel_luv
10-22-2006, 11:30 PM
The SpongeBob backpacks were around last year for the rookies as well, but I don't know whose idea it was. Jose had to carry one around.

I bet Sho was never more happy he is an NBA Veteran. :lol

ploto
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Hope you get to see it Angel- it was the best of all the episodes this pre-season, and I'm not just saying that because it was the Raptors.
http://www.nba.com/media/raptors6_600_061023.jpg
Finally a photo with Uros. :)

angel_luv
10-23-2006, 05:29 PM
I didn't get to.

Can you tell me about it? :)

Pistons < Spurs
10-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Has Angel traded in her Spurs for a Raptors jersey????

angel_luv
10-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Has Angel traded in her Spurs for a Raptors jersey????

Don't be silly. A girl never trades jerseys when she can have both in her closet. :)

waterbottle2000
10-23-2006, 08:29 PM
angel, download TVU player
they're showing raptors training camp right now on one of the channels

T-Pain
10-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Hope you get to see it Angel- it was the best of all the episodes this pre-season, and I'm not just saying that because it was the Raptors.
http://www.nba.com/media/raptors6_600_061023.jpg
Finally a photo with Uros. :)
its funny that in the background theres a huge sign that says the raptors wear reebok, yet everybody is wearing adidas

ploto
10-23-2006, 10:01 PM
its funny that in the background theres a huge sign that says the raptors wear reebok, yet everybody is wearing adidas
Rasho's shoes are Nike. :)

ploto
10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Angel if you go to NBA.com and click on the top right on the NBA Broadband about the Raptors- you can watch the segments of the show and the interviews. Hope you find it. :)

Choose the one that says "Real Training Camp:Raptors" to get the entire show.

angel_luv
10-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Angel if you go to NBA.com and click on the top right on the NBA Broadband about the Raptors- you can watch the segments of the show and the interviews. Hope you find it. :)

Choose the one that says "Real Training Camp:Raptors" to get the entire show.

Thank you! I am going to look right now.

Thanks to you also water bottle. :)

angel_luv
10-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Found it! :D

angel_luv
10-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Wow- this is fascinating. I've always wanted to see a tape session. :)

I like Coach Mitchell- he seems like an excellent leader and teacher.

Pistons < Spurs
10-23-2006, 11:04 PM
angel, download TVU player
they're showing raptors training camp right now on one of the channels

LOL I thought I was the only person here that used TVU player!

angel_luv
10-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Now that is what I call an open practice. Too awesome. :D

Trainwreck2100
10-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Andrea es nombre de una chica

angel_luv
10-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Andrea es nombre de una chica

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51862

fonzy16
10-24-2006, 12:32 PM
i read somewhere rasho had a block on king james... anybody got a pic?

Slomo
10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
its funny that in the background theres a huge sign that says the raptors wear reebok, yet everybody is wearing adidasYou do realize that Reebok is owned by Adidas?

angel_luv
10-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Raptors win again! :elephant :elephant

:D

http://www.nba.com/games/20061025/TORBOS/boxscore.html?nav=scoreboardhome

ploto
10-26-2006, 01:02 PM
My- how Rasho has changed.
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2006/10/25/telfair-sebastian-ap-061025.jpg
The Celtics' Sebastian Telfair, centre, keeps the ball away from the Raptors' Rasho Nesterovic, left, and Morris Peterson during the second quarter of Wednesday's exhibition game in Boston.

Slomo
10-26-2006, 01:25 PM
My- how Rasho has changed.
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2006/10/25/telfair-sebastian-ap-061025.jpg
The Celtics' Sebastian Telfair, centre, keeps the ball away from the Raptors' Rasho Nesterovic, left, and Morris Peterson during the second quarter of Wednesday's exhibition game in Boston.Yes, I almost didn't recognize him :lol

ploto
10-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Yes, I almost didn't recognize him :lol
Apparently he's a point guard now.

Trainwreck2100
10-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Andrea............girl's...........name

resistanze
10-26-2006, 07:07 PM
7-0 in the preseason? I could smell an NBA Championship coming to T.O.

Trainwreck2100
10-26-2006, 07:08 PM
7-0 in the preseason? I could smell an NBA Championship coming to T.O.

well he ain't winning a super bowl

ploto
10-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Andrea............girl's...........name
How nice of you to remember Andrea on his 21st birthday! :toast

angel_luv
10-27-2006, 01:34 AM

Pistons < Spurs
10-27-2006, 01:36 AM
So people are actually rooting for the Raptors?

Why?

angel_luv
10-27-2006, 01:40 AM
So people are actually rooting for the Raptors?

Why?

Have insomnia, eh?

You know why I'm rooting for the Raptors. :)

Pistons < Spurs
10-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Have insomnia, eh?

You know why I'm rooting for the Raptors. :)

:lol Yes, I know why you're rooting for Rasho ... I mean Toronto. I just didn't realize there were others standing tall waving the Raptors banner.

angel_luv
10-27-2006, 01:53 AM
I wouldn't have known this were Rasho not there but Toronto's put together a nice team.
Look for them to surprise this year. :)

Trainwreck2100
10-27-2006, 07:09 PM
How nice of you to remember Andrea on her 21st birthday! :toast

:toast

ploto
10-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Raptors with their first loss- but it was a great game for 3 quarters. Then Sam rested his starters the whole 4th quarter and made the bench go up against Ben Wallace, Gordon, Heinrich, and Noccioni. Not pretty. Sam has been wanting to see how they handle defeat.

I know it is only pre-season, but for a team that needed to mesh and create a winning culture- a 7-1 pre-season was important, especially with Bosh and Ford each missing about half the games.

angel_luv
10-28-2006, 12:57 AM
The team is off to a great start and are going to rock this season. I just know it. :)

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/CP_recap_102706.html

There is a great picture of Sho in the photo gallery. :)

ploto
10-28-2006, 09:32 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/CHI_350_rasho_hook.jpg

angel_luv
11-01-2006, 05:40 PM
http://i12.tinypic.com/4h7mc14.jpg

Raptors have their season opener tonight against New Jersey.
Good luck Sho and Slokar! :D

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/CP_preview_110106.html

angel_luv
11-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Aw... I forgot Nachbar is with the Nets now. Good luck to him too- just not enough to win. :)

angel_luv
11-01-2006, 10:02 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20061101/TORNJN/boxscore.html?nav=scoreboardhome

Sorry Sho and Slokar. :(

Nice win Nachbar. :)

waterbottle2000
11-01-2006, 10:06 PM
damnit the raps defense is sad

angel_luv
11-01-2006, 10:09 PM
damnit the raps defense is sad

Did you see the game? All I could do was sit and read nba.com stats.

waterbottle2000
11-01-2006, 10:17 PM
yeah, im up in canada
anthony parkers looking real good
bosh looks real rusty though, he has some sort of a heel injury
and graham is pretty much useless right now

rasho looked alright, shots looked okay, just weren't falling, cept for that one where he got blocked by carter?/jefferson? (dont' remember)
hes really slow though, much slower than what i thought from reading about him...

nachbar reallly surprised me, i've only seen him in his houston days, and from what i remember, he was just a scrub

kidd with the triple-double, nothing new though...

and i hate vince carter

RaptorsFan
11-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Absolutely brutal officiating by the refs tonight. The turning point was midway through the fourth when the Raps were down by 4, TJ Ford swipes the ball and starts down the floor to an uncontested layup, but the refs inadvertently blew the whistle. Then they gave the ball to the Nets, when clearly it should have been Raptors ball. Nachbar hits a 3 and the Nets go up by 7 instead of the Raps chopping the lead to 2.

Rasho looked fairly decent, and the Raps played significantly better when he was on the floor. The Raptors had the lead both times he left the floor, and lost it while he was on the bench. Although this may have more to do with Sam Mitchell's rotation that has PJ Tucker playing at 4, and often going small with Ford, Parker, Jones, MoPete and Bosh and basically having the first four camp on the perimeter. The inside presence was lacking as evidenced by the numerous times that Bosh was double and triple teamed in the post.

angel_luv
11-01-2006, 10:28 PM
yeah, im up in canada
anthony parkers looking real good
bosh looks real rusty though, he has some sort of a heel injury
and graham is pretty much useless right now

rasho looked alright, shots looked okay, just weren't falling, cept for that one where he got blocked by carter?/jefferson? (dont' remember)
hes really slow though, much slower than what i thought from reading about him...

nachbar reallly surprised me, i've only seen him in his houston days, and from what i remember, he was just a scrub

kidd with the triple-double, nothing new though...

and i hate vince carter

Thanks for the recap. :)

I was really hoping the Raptors would get this win. They did well in pre season and I know they are working hard.

How was their overall execution?

Hopefully Bosh is good to go soon. I thought I read that Bosh was trying out different shoes to see which ones felt the best to play in. Wonder if he had any success?

As long as Sho keeps up his defense and takes his shots when they are there, he'll be all right.

Nachbar was my favorite player when I lived in Houston. I am so glad he is doing well- granted I wish he had scored a few less points tonight. :)

I haven't seen Kidd play in a long time. I had thought he was having some health ( knee?) problems- but apparently he is fine.

dave
11-01-2006, 10:39 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2809/rashyk7.jpg

angel_luv
11-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Thank you! :)

ploto
11-01-2006, 10:49 PM
What else is new-- lots of small ball all over this game. Boki fits it perfect. I've been telling people that for some time- he's a long 3 who plays the 4 in small ball.

Rasho plays 10 minutes- Raptors outscore Nets by 8 in those 10 minutes- and then he sits and bites his nails the rest of the game while the Nets pull away. :(

Rasho played well- his defense was very good, as he not only had the steal but forced several turnovers, inlcuding a couple of traveling violations. The team just plays better with him in there- doing all those little things he does. He also has bought into Sam's notion that he better shoot when he gets the chance. 5 shots in 10 minutes!!

I have to assume that Sam will not play all 12 players every game. Oh, and Bosh is going to struggle with his PF all season like Tim did.

RaptorsFan
11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
I have to assume that Sam will not play all 12 players every game. Oh, and Bosh is going to struggle with his PF all season like Tim did.
I hope not. From what I saw out of Joey Graham tonight, that man should be permanently nailed to the bench.

All in all, it just comes down to bad luck, I think. They did the same things they did that made them successful in the preseason, force a lot of turnovers (23 Net TOs), hoist a ton of shots (94 shots to the Nets 78), it was just that their shots weren't falling. They shot under 40% of a team and a lot of guys had uncharacteristally poor shooting nights. Bosh was 2 for his first 10, MoPete was 0 for 7 from three, Garbajosa was 1-8. If a couple more of those shots fell, it'd be a different story.

velik_m
11-02-2006, 02:49 AM
Too bad the raptors lost, but at least Boki had a good game.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/ab/full.getty-71797320ab009_toronto_rapto_10_24_46_pm.jpg

timvp
11-02-2006, 02:59 AM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2809/rashyk7.jpg

Good to see Rasho still has his fadaway hook shot going.

:king

ata
11-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Check the +/- stats! http://www.popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20061101&game=TORNJN

angel_luv
11-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Rasho played well- his defense was very good, as he not only had the steal but forced several turnovers, inlcuding a couple of traveling violations. The team just plays better with him in there- doing all those little things he does. He also has bought into Sam's notion that he better shoot when he gets the chance. 5 shots in 10 minutes!!

Aha! What did I say! :)

You who were able to see the game- how lucky are you!
Thanks for filling me in. :)

boutons_
11-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Rasho playing only 10 minutes in a close game isn't much of a coach's endorsement.

ploto
11-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Rasho playing only 10 minutes in a close game isn't much of a coach's endorsement.
It's the same thing we have heard from the Spurs- that the pace was too quick for Rasho to play. Well, if the pace is too quick then someone explain why the Raptors outscored the Nets whenever Rasho was playing. And how come it was while Rasho was on the bench that the Nets were getting uncontested fast break points. Rasho was getting so frustrated watching the Nets score inside- just like when the Spurs played Dallas.

RaptorsFan
11-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Raptors crushed Milwaukee 109-92 tonight. Rasho played really well. I'd reckon his +/- was over 20 and nearing +30 tonight, the Raptors just played significantly better on defense when he was on the floor. He seems like he's found his niche hitting those open 12 footers from the baseline after TJ penetrates and draws the help defense.

ploto
11-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Raptors 109
Bucks 92

Beautiful game tonight from Rasho:
28 minutes
10 points
6 rebounds
3 blocks
2 assists
1 steal
0 turnovers

And his defense was great! You might not know from looking at the box score, but he did a wonderful job on Bogut- who had maybe 2 baskets with Rasho in the game. Then when Rasho came out they would go to Bogut immediately. He even drew a couple of rebounding fouls- forced a couple of travels- and his 2 assists were both plays where he read the defense- called for the ball- and made the beautiful hi-lo pass to Bosh for the dunk. Bosh tried to return the favor on an attempted alley-oop pass to Rasho- he should have known better, but Rasho recovered the offensive rebound and ended up scoring. :lol

It is really nice to hear Toronto fans cheer for good defense from Rasho.

dave
11-03-2006, 09:49 PM
i'd say his defense was prolly the x-factor today

angel_luv
11-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Raptors 109
Bucks 92

Beautiful game tonight from Rasho:
28 minutes
10 points
6 rebounds
3 blocks
2 assists
1 steal
0 turnovers

And his defense was great! You might not know from looking at the box score, but he did a wonderful job on Bogut- who had maybe 2 baskets with Rasho in the game. Then when Rasho came out they would go to Bogut immediately. He even drew a couple of rebounding fouls- forced a couple of travels- and his 2 assists were both plays where he read the defense- called for the ball- and made the beautiful hi-lo pass to Bosh for the dunk. Bosh tried to return the favor on an attempted alley-oop pass to Rasho- he should have known better, but Rasho recovered the offensive rebound and ended up scoring. :lol

It is really nice to hear Toronto fans cheer for good defense from Rasho.

Whoosh! That's my guy! I'm so proud of him! :elephant :elephant

I saw on the Spurs jumbo tron that the Raptors had won and was super excited. :)

angel_luv
11-04-2006, 09:04 AM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/quotes_110306.html
Coach Mitchell: I thought Rash (Nesterovic) played well defensively. He also scored some baskets for us.

angel_luv
11-04-2006, 09:07 AM
http://i11.tinypic.com/35m04qp.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ajrpmw.jpg

dave
11-04-2006, 04:24 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=06nQjnm8NcM

RaptorsFan
11-04-2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.82games.com/0607/0607TOR1.HTM

I know it's just two games, but Rasho's +/- stats are off the charts.

angel_luv
11-04-2006, 07:22 PM

Thanks so much for the link. That was awesome. :)

http://www.82games.com/0607/0607TOR1.HTM

I know it's just two games, but Rasho's +/- stats are off the charts.

Holy cow- that's exciting. That's how you do it too- one game at a time.

ploto
11-04-2006, 09:35 PM

I really like how Toronto's PA announcer has made the attempt to pronounce Rasho's name a bit more accurately.

Rip-Hamilton32
11-04-2006, 10:09 PM
anthony parker has been playing great off the bench along with fred jones but andrea is only getting garbage minutes and not doing much with them besides going to the line and missing the shots

ploto
11-05-2006, 11:29 AM
anthony parker has been playing great off the bench along with fred jones
Anthony Parker is a starter and is playing really great. He is just a really good all-around basketball player.

ploto
11-05-2006, 11:35 AM
RUN RASHO RUN

New Raptors centre Rasho Nesterovic may not be the fastest man in basketball, but he's having a good time playing a fast-paced style in Toronto.

"It's very free-minded," said Nesterovic, who played a much slower tempo in San Antonio with the Raptors' opponents today, the Spurs.

"Players have their fate in their own hands. We can decide what moves to make. That's pretty good. It brings everybody's individual creativity out."

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2006/11/05/2242210-sun.html

I sincererly hope that today Spurs fans get to see the Rasho that has been playing so far for Toronto- the one who is comfortable and having fun playing basketball. I know the nerves will be there having to play against the Spurs so soon this season- having to go up against some people who are very special to him and with whom he won a championship. But the fans in Toronto really appreciate what Rasho brings to their team and I hope that Spurs fans get to witness that.

angel_luv
11-05-2006, 12:30 PM
I know I will. :)

angel_luv
11-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Spurs 103 Raptors 94
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/postup_110506.html

And, for future reference:
Game blog:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53100

angel_luv
11-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Spurs notebook: Nesterovic understands trade was just business

Web Posted: 11/05/2006 10:02 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...ok.2e68898.html

TORONTO — Rasho Nesterovic was "surprised and not surprised" when he received a call about a month after the season telling him he was being traded to Toronto.

Nesterovic spent three seasons with the Spurs, about 2 1/2 of which he served as the team's starting center. He was an effective defender, but barely got off the bench in last season's Western Conference semifinals against Dallas.

Needing to become more versatile and athletic to keep pace with the Mavericks and Phoenix Suns, the Spurs didn't think Nesterovic would play enough to justify the $23.5 million remaining on his contract. So they sent him to the Raptors for Matt Bonner and Eric Williams.

"I knew there were going to be some changes when we didn't win," Nesterovic said. "Maybe if we had gone to the Finals, it would have been different. But it's a job, it's a business."

Nesterovic likes where he is now. Toronto is a diverse city and the Raptors now have a deep international influence: Six of their players were born outside the United States.

"It's similar to (the Spurs)," he said.

Nesterovic said he's had to adjust to the Raptors' fast pace, but some around the team already consider him the franchise's best center since Kevin Willis left in 2001. Though Nesterovic starts, the rest of his minutes are usually determined by matchups.

Nesterovic hugged coach Gregg Popovich before the opening tip. After the Spurs arrived in town Saturday night, Nesterovic took Fabricio Oberto, Beno Udrih, Brent Barry and Manu Ginobili, his best friend on the team, to dinner.

Briefly: Udrih was kicked in the left shin near the end of the Spurs' victory Sunday, but was walking better when he left the locker room . ... Raptors forward Chris Bosh has been playing on a sore left foot aggravated by a case of plantar fasciitis. The same injury slowed Duncan last season. "I wouldn't wish that on anybody," Duncan said.

ploto
11-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Raptors 'D' on the rebound
Nov. 8, 2006. 11:24 AM
DOUG SMITH
SPORTS REPORTER

Here's something that's seldom said about a Raptor game: They should have a solid edge in rebounding tonight when they face the Philadelphia 76ers at the Air Canada Centre.

A perennially-bad rebounding team – Toronto was dead last among 30 NBA teams in rebounding last season – meets a team that's presently quite bad as the Sixers have been routinely hammered on the boards this season.

Tuesday in Indianapolis, Philadelphia saw its three-game winning streak snapped in large part because the Pacers held a 52-32 advantage on the boards, the second time this season the difference has been 20 rebounds or more.

"You can't teach rebounding," Allen Iverson said after the game. "We're not going to be able to win basketball games if we don't rebound the ball."

The Raptors, meanwhile, seem to benefiting from a new focus on rebounding, and the presence of starting centre Rasho Nesterovic.

While they aren't about to turn into a combination of Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Dennis Rodman, they are averaging 40.3 boards a game, which is two more than they got on average last season.

Chris Bosh has been particularly effective, averaging 12.3 per game, including 17 in Sunday's loss to San Antonio.

The presence of the veteran centre Nesterovic has unquestionably helped. He may not be the most athletic big man in the game but he does know how to play and can block out a couple of opponents on some occasions, leaving Bosh and others free to go after the ball.

"He makes it easier for us to just go out there and play defence and play our man," Morris Peterson said of Nesterovic. "Not having to double-team all the time allows us to concentrate.

"He does a lot of the little things, he knows how to play the game. He's a veteran, he's been on championship teams, he knows how to win.

"You talk about helping turn this team around, Rasho is probably going to be the 'X' factor for us."

http://www.thestar.com/images/thestar/img/061108_nesterovic_200.jpg
Toronto's Morris Peterson says new centre Rasho Nesterovic, pictured, is the "X factor" in helping turning the Raptors into a winning team.

angel_luv
11-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Tip Off Dinner A Success
The Raptors held their annual Tip Off dinner at Alice Fazolli's restaurant in Toronto Monday. Raptors players, coaches and general manager Bryan Colangelo served as waiters.

Darn it! No pictures of Sho in his apron. But here is one of Slokar. :)

http://i13.tinypic.com/44hknf8.jpg

angel_luv
11-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the article, Ploto.

It seems Sho is really well liked and appreciated by the Toronto fans- at least the one on this particular site:

http://www.raptorschat.ca/forums/index.php?showtopic=9028

angel_luv
11-08-2006, 03:20 PM
nvm about Rasho and his apron- he TJ, Fred, and Chris weren't there- likely because they are scheduled for other upcoming charity events.

The song Slokar was singing was "That's Amore" :lol

Holy cow! The Raptors dinner cost $200!

Apparently Slokar was doinf magic tricks for some table. A poster at Real GM ( where I read all this, btw) said he heard Slokar was quite the comedian. :)

dave
11-08-2006, 07:23 PM
rasho with 2 blocks in like the first few minutes

resistanze
11-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Damn, Bosh played like a MAN today.

RaptorsFan
11-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Tie game, ten seconds left, the Raptors try to feed it to Bosh, but Webber tips it away. Bosh saves it from going out of bounds, steps up and drops a trey on Webber to win the game. Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

Rasho was a non-factor for most of tonight, Sam went with the hot hand and played Kris Humphries and/or Garbajosa with Bosh for most of the 4th quarter.

angel_luv
11-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Raptors win- so some good news. :)
http://www.nba.com/games/20061108/PHITOR/boxscore.html?nav=scoreboardhome

angel_luv
11-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Sho with 6 rebounds 1 assist and 2 blocked shots.

ploto
11-08-2006, 11:51 PM
The Raptors used Rasho on Webber in the first half to keep him from getting going and it worked pretty well. He only had 4 points the first half with Rasho in the game.

Sam then went with Humphries the fourth quarter because if I remember correctly, Bosh was on Webber mostly then and Hunter/Dalembert are so athletic, so he used Humphries on whichever of them.

This game was played at an amazing pace, as well! The 2 teams put up a total of 180 shots! Sam won't play Rasho too much in games like that.

Bosh was awesome! He said after the game that he has so much more left for fourth quarters now because of the other big men on the Raptors.

And I have to say- Iverson is playing well.

RaptorsFan
11-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Igoudala absolutely posterized Rasho last night too.

[link removed]

ploto
11-09-2006, 04:10 PM
From Chuck's blog (http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/swirsky):

E-mailer Velma from Tampa, Fla: Chuck, I can't wait to see the Raptors. I moved to Florida several years ago and love reading the blog. My sons are big Rasho fans. They think he doesn't get any credit. What do you think?

Chuck: Rasho takes up a lot of space and rebounds the basketball. If the Raps go small, he'll be on the bench, but if you ask CB4, he totally endorses Rasho's presence on the court.

angel_luv
11-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Sho had three rebounds, two blocked shots and two assists.
Also looks like somebody got a hair cut. :)

http://i15.tinypic.com/402rlll.jpg

RaptorsFan
11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1163502487284&call_pageid=969907729483&col=970081562040

This is rather simplistic, and it may be old news if the Raptors win tonight but you know what these guys need?

More Rasho.

I know that Rasho Nesterovic may not be the prototypical running-game centre but it's a pretty solid observation that they are better with him in the game than without him.

He's the best interior defender they've got — and considering how easily teams are breaking them down on the perimeter that's a pretty darn important thing to have — and he's solid, if unspectacular on offence.

Take, for instance, Sunday's game. Nesterovic played the first 8:44 and had two great blocks, two assists and three rebounds and left with Toronto trailing 22-18. Toronto ended up surrendering 14 points in the final 3:16.

Now, it's not all on him and he probably doesn't fit into the quick-shot offence these guys seem to love, but he's solid and if the game slows down, he's a good guy to have in the halfcourt offence. Given the way these guys run, which is if they don't get a shot in 10 seconds things slow down, he'd be a valuable asset.

jman3000
11-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Sho had three rebounds, two blocked shots and two assists.
Also looks like somebody got a hair cut. :)

http://i15.tinypic.com/402rlll.jpg
too creepy.

Bruno
11-14-2006, 05:01 PM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1163502487284&call_pageid=969907729483&col=970081562040

I'm quite surprised that Rasho didn't get more playtime.
Raptors' bigs are quite bad besides Bosh : it's quite surprising that a player like Garbajosa get more playtime than Rasho.

RaptorsFan
11-14-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm quite surprised that Rasho didn't get more playtime.
Raptors' bigs are quite bad besides Bosh : it's quite surprising that a player like Garbajosa get more playtime than Rasho.
This one falls on the shoulders of Sam Mitchell. He always has one pet player that supposedly does "the little things" that merit playing time even though they have no discernable contributions. Matt Bonner was that pet last year, this year it's Garbajosa. Until Mitchell gets the axe, Garbajosa will continue to get crunch time minutes even if he, like Bonner often was last year, is a complete liability on one or both sides of the ball.

velik_m
11-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Free Slokar!

angel_luv
11-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Sho is off to a great start today-

2 of 3 from the field, 4 points, 3 rebounds and 1 blocked shot all in 35 seconds. :)

dave
11-26-2006, 03:45 PM
garbo is actually doing quite well now with more playing time
last 6 games

vs ATL - 15pt, 10rb
vs CLE - 4pt, 6rb <--only bad game
vs UTH - 10pt, 9rb
vs DEN - 17pt, 10rb
vs LAL - 10pt, 8rb
vs GSW - 10pt, 6rb

angel_luv
11-26-2006, 06:25 PM
garbo is actually doing quite well now with more playing time
last 6 games

vs ATL - 15pt, 10rb
vs CLE - 4pt, 6rb <--only bad game
vs UTH - 10pt, 9rb
vs DEN - 17pt, 10rb
vs LAL - 10pt, 8rb
vs GSW - 10pt, 6rb

He is doing well.

So what was the deal with Sho 's DNP's for the previous two games? Was he not feeling well or was it just a match up thing.
It looked from the stat sheet like Coach Mitchell had really reduced his rotation- lots od dnp's.
Why was that?

I hate that I can't see any of these games. I have no idea what the team's situation is.

RaptorsFan
11-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Mitchell is convinced that small ball is the way to go even though the team plays considerably better when Rasho's on the floor. It's kind of a catch-22, because Garbo is apparently not very comfortable coming off the bench and turns into a complete scrub as a reserve, but he plays well as a starter.

Bruno
11-27-2006, 06:00 AM
So what was the deal with Sho 's DNP's for the previous two games? Was he not feeling well or was it just a match up thing.
It looked from the stat sheet like Coach Mitchell had really reduced his rotation- lots od dnp's.
Why was that?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&col=970081593064&c=Article&cid=1164366366905&call_pageid=968867503640

Q: What's the story with Nesterovic? Is he overcoming an injury, or is it that his legs are simply unable to cope outside of a half-court offence the reason behind his lack of minutes? We need to optimize the use of this savvy post-presence. The intangibles he brings (especially on the defensive end) are being wasted under the current regime. What's your take?

Matt Tignanelli, North Bay, Ont.

A: I was a big Rasho guy in the first couple of weeks of the season but that's changed a bit now.

When Sam Mitchell was using a four-man frontcourt rotation there was room for Nesterovic next to Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani and Jorge Garbajosa but now that Mitchell has whittled it down to three, it makes sense that Nesterovic sits because his minutes are going to the improving rookie Bargnani.

But it is a good thing to have a veteran 7-footer who knows how to defend on the bench for night when the other bigs (read Bargnani) get in early foul trouble.

He'll help at some time, I'm sure; that time isn't now, though.

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1164581412192&call_pageid=1112274690688&col=1112274690734

Veteran Nesterovic's patience pays off
By Doug Smith
Toronto Star
(Nov 27, 2006)

At 30 years old and in his ninth NBA season, Rasho Nesterovic knows better than to get all bent out of shape about not playing in a couple games in a row.

He knows to stay ready and stay complaint-free because the time to play and contribute is never far away. Like a couple of days.

Nesterovic, who didn't get off the bench for two straight Raptor games, heard his name called yesterday and answered with a solid performance, just four points, but seven rebounds in Toronto's 92-83 win over the Indiana Pacers.

Surprised? His coach wasn't.

"After the first DNP-CD (NBA boxscore-speak for sat and watched all night), after the game, Rasho was upstairs working out, running, lifting, getting some shots and he did the same thing yesterday," Sam Mitchell said. "Rasho's a pro, he understands we've got a new team, we're feeling our way around a little bit ... trying to find minutes and a niche for each guy and we needed him."

Nesterovic, who has alternately been a regular and a forgotten man on teams in Minnesota and San Antonio, wasn't going to make a huge deal out of his demotion. Even though he lost his starting job to Jorge Garbajosa after seven games, he didn't sulk because he knows it wouldn't make sense to.

"I've been in this situation before, but it's tough because you are so close to the court, but at the same time, so far," he said.

"It's still early in the season and we've got nine new guys. Everybody's trying to fit in and figure out rotations. It's part of the game, you must go with it."

He provides the kind of interior defence the Raptors are going to need more often than not. So he'll hear his name again.

BTW, Rasho's photo gallery :
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3260/photos;_ylt=Ag1VHFo3VYx80Q54ZHQ9vIakvLYF

velik_m
11-27-2006, 11:37 AM
New Jersey 5 8 .385 --- 3-3 2-5 1-0 4-2 Lost 5 3-7
Philadelphia 5 8 .385 --- 3-2 2-6 0-1 4-5 Lost 1 2-8
Boston 5 8 .385 --- 3-5 2-3 1-1 4-6 Won 1 5-5
New York 5 10 .333 1.0 1-6 4-4 1-1 3-5 Lost 1 3-7
Toronto 4 9 .308 1.0 4-2 0-7 1-1 4-3 Won 1 3-7

:lmao what a shitty division, Raptors in the running for top 4 seed in the east. :lol

dave
11-27-2006, 01:41 PM
yeah
so hopefully the raps can make the playoffs in this shitty conference

the future looks good though, bargnani is starting to come along, he sucks at rebounding though

angel_luv
11-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for updates guys! :)

RaptorsFan
11-27-2006, 03:15 PM
yeah
so hopefully the raps can make the playoffs in this shitty conference

the future looks good though, bargnani is starting to come along, he sucks at rebounding though
I don't think he sucks at rebounding, he just doesn't try to get rebounds. He always boxes out well, but never goes for the rebound unless it bounces right to him, or he'll tip it to a teammate.

angel_luv
11-27-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't think he sucks at rebounding, he just doesn't try to get rebounds. He always boxes out well, but never goes for the rebound unless it bounces right to him, or he'll tip it to a teammate.

I wonder why that is. It is hard to believe he hasn't gotten in trouble for that with his coaches.

themvp
11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_5.jpg

That is cruel :lol

dave
11-27-2006, 03:54 PM
lmao - "he can make that shot chuck" (rasho 3pt)

angel_luv
11-27-2006, 05:31 PM
" Is on fire. Let's NBA" :lmao

That is so messed up!! Thanks for the laugh though. :)

dave
11-28-2006, 11:38 PM
lmao, raptors are in the 9th seed now
had they won that game against the hawks, they would be 8th

angel_luv
11-29-2006, 11:02 AM
lmao, raptors are in the 9th seed now
had they won that game against the hawks, they would be 8th

:pctoss :depressed

All the more motivation to start kicking some serious tail. :)

angel_luv
12-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Whoosh- Sho started and the Raptors won. :elephant

Sho was 4 of 5 from the field- 8 points, 3 rebounds in 16:51 :fro

RaptorsFan
12-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Thank god for Rasho. Once he fouled out, Eddy Curry just abused Bosh in the post and almost got the Knicks the win by himself.

angel_luv
12-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Thank god for Rasho. Once he fouled out, Eddy Curry just abused Bosh in the post and almost got the Knicks the win by himself.

Were Sho's fouls all legit calls? I can't remember the last time he fouled out like that.

angel_luv
12-03-2006, 02:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/recap_120206.html

Notes: The Raptors switched lineups again to better defend Curry, reinserting Nesterovic at centre so Bosh wouldn't have to do it. ``Last time I looked over in that locker room they had a guy that weighed about 300 pounds,'' Raptors coach Sam Mitchell said. ``I think it would it would be too much to ask Chris to do it for 48 minutes so that's what we got Rasho for, for nights like this. So it wouldn't be very smart if we didn't use him.'' Nesterovic scored eight points and fouled out in 17 minutes. ...

Texas_Ranger
12-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Good news for Slovenia are that Rasho started to play well. Last two games he had 8 points. That is good for him. If only he would play about 25 min. per game.

dave
12-03-2006, 09:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_3-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_4-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_5-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Mason108/Page_6.jpg

Texas_Ranger
12-04-2006, 08:55 AM
^^ :lol

angel_luv
12-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Those comics are hilarious. Who created those? They in the paper?

dave
12-05-2006, 08:22 PM
some guy on realgm created them

and mitchell scrapped the run-and-gun
no more 200 shats i guess... :(

angel_luv
12-05-2006, 08:53 PM
some guy on realgm created them

and mitchell scrapped the run-and-gun
no more 200 shats i guess... :(

That is good- more playing time for Sho. :)

angel_luv
12-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Toronto is tied for number one in their division! :fro

angel_luv
12-05-2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

Oh my gosh! Is Miami really only a half game ahead of the Raptors?

dave
12-06-2006, 01:15 AM
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

Oh my gosh! Is Miami really only a half game ahead of the Raptors?

i think they're tied now

angel_luv
12-06-2006, 08:32 AM
i think they're tied now

Even better. :)

angel_luv
12-09-2006, 12:39 AM
I wish the Raptors had won tonight. They almost had it. Come on team!

http://www.nba.com/games/20061208/TORCHI/boxscore.html

Sho had 12 points ( 6 of 9 from the field) 7 rebounds, 1 steal, and 2 blocked shots. :fro

Slokar played about five minutes. Good to see him getting into the game. He had two rebounds. :)

velik_m
12-09-2006, 04:43 AM
Slokar's first NBA game, too bad they lost. :(

angel_luv
12-12-2006, 12:30 PM
The Raptors play the Magic tomorrow.

Sho and Hedo :clap

Wish I had league pass.

dave
12-13-2006, 09:43 PM
rasho destroyed dwight howard
7 points, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, 5 blocks

angel_luv
12-14-2006, 12:10 AM
rasho destroyed dwight howard
7 points, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, 5 blocks

What a great game. I am so proud of him. :)

Bruno
12-14-2006, 03:05 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20061214/capt.doa10112140118.raptors_magic_basketball_doa10 1.jpg

None shall pass. :)

angel_luv
12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
:lol That is awesome!

Finally a Sho post game quote:

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/quotes_061213
RASHO
“He (Bargnani) comes from Europe. He is the number one pick so there is a lot of expectations and pressure. If we give him time and wait, he can become one of the best players in this league.”

“He (Bargnani) started very slow. But from then on, he has been shooting, playing defense, and accepting his role.”

“This gives us a lot of confidence for our next two games and going into New Jersey.”

It's not about himself, but still. :)

angel_luv
12-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Wow!!!!

Sho has 12 points ( 6 of 8 from the field) 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocked shots already against the Nets. :fro

angel_luv
12-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Now three assists and three blocked shots. :)

angel_luv
12-15-2006, 09:43 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20061215/NJNTOR/boxscore.html

90- 78 Raptors over Nets. :clap

RashoFan
12-15-2006, 10:15 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20061214/capt.doa10112140118.raptors_magic_basketball_doa10 1.jpg

None shall pass. :)
Awesome pic...it looks like Sho block that shot with just his fingers.

RaptorsFan
12-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Rasho playing big minutes = Raptors win. Can't believe it took Sam Mitchell this long to figure out what everyone else already knew.

dave
12-16-2006, 12:03 AM
yes, well sam mitchell isn't the brightest of coaches
took him long enough to realize that the raptors were not the suns
and kobes 81 point game was just painful to watch

angel_luv
12-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Rasho playing big minutes = Raptors win.

:tu

angel_luv
12-16-2006, 12:14 AM
I can't wait until the Raptors come here in February.

angel_luv
12-16-2006, 12:26 AM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/quotes_121506.html

Is this about as complete a team effort as you’ve had so far this season?
Sam Mitchell: Well, I just think both games back-to-back, our defense, you know, to hold Orlando to under 40 percent and to hold this team under 40 (percent), it’s just…our guys gave an unbelievable effort. I mean, they’ve just been concentrating and made few, minimal mistakes on defense and we rebounded well. I thought Rasho (Nesterovic) in the back, him being able to guard big guys without us having to trap, just helps us out because we can stay home on shooters, we can dig a little bit. They’re going to score a little bit, but Rasho (Nesterovic), just being able to keep guys from punishing us on the inside. I just thought Joey (Graham) was great, I thought Mo (Peterson) played one of his better games, the three he hit. I thought T.J. (Ford) was unbelievable, the points, rebounds and assists. I thought all the guys who played, they just played well, they played, they competed and they just played tough

How important was the team’s start tonight?
T.J. Ford: We always try to come out and attack first and get the referees on our side. It all started on the defensive end. I think it starts with the big guy down low, (Rasho) Nesterovic because we don’t have to double team anybody. He (Rasho Nesterovic) allowed me to get nine rebounds tonight so I appreciate that from him.

angel_luv
12-16-2006, 12:31 AM
http://i17.tinypic.com/358qhis.jpg

dave
12-16-2006, 05:09 PM
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6683/rnesterovicfr9.jpg

angel_luv
12-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Almost life size-I like it! :) Thank you!

exstatic
12-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Still doing pussy layups, I see.

Bruno
12-17-2006, 05:53 AM
:elephant Sho is sooooooooo Cute :elephant

:cheer Dajmo Sho :cheer

Pero
12-17-2006, 07:22 AM
Wow Bruno, all this time I thought you were a guy. :)

Bruno
12-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Rasho is the BB version of Mona Lisa.
Men and women are stuned by his beauty. :)

Pero
12-17-2006, 07:53 AM
:rollin :lmao

boutons_
12-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Bosh, Rasho, Bargnani, Garbajosa make up a tough front-court rotation.

Can SMitch coach them out of horrible 11th in the sucky EC and into the playoffs?

angel_luv
12-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Rasho is the BB version of Mona Lisa.
Men and women are stuned by his beauty. :)

Krystic looks pretty awe inspired in that last pic. :)

angel_luv
12-17-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20061217/GSWTOR/boxscore.html

Sho is :king !

13 points (5 of 10 from the field), 3 of 3 free throws made , 6 rebounds, and two blocked shots.

Whoosh there it is!

angel_luv
12-17-2006, 03:39 PM
And I have to learn to stop posting about stats mid game. I almost jinxed it. :oops

Congrats Raps! :fro

stefano
12-17-2006, 03:40 PM
18 points 10 rebounds and 6 blocks for Andrea. Good. Very Good

dave
12-17-2006, 03:43 PM
calderon brought off the court on a stretcher...
hopefully he's okay, otherwise darrick martin will have to backup TJ

angel_luv
12-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Did I count right that it was six guys in double figures- Ford, Parker, Garbajosa, Sho, Bargnani, and Peterson.

That's awesome!
And this without Bosh!!!!

angel_luv
12-17-2006, 03:52 PM
calderon brought off the court on a stretcher...
hopefully he's okay, otherwise darrick martin will have to backup TJ

Whoa- what happened?

dave
12-17-2006, 03:54 PM
i'm not sure
looks like pietrus threw him to the ground
and he landed awkwardly i guess