PDA

View Full Version : Justify your opening day roster

Solid D
10-29-2004, 01:19 AM
Premise: Pop may start Wilks out on the active roster, but if I were him, I'd do it this way:

8 Nesterovic
21 Duncan
12 Bowen
20 Ginobili
9 Parker
31 Rose
5 Horry
23 Brown
17 Barry
14 Udrih
34 Massenburg
10 Sato

IR
11 Wilks
4 Marks
43 Johnson

Justification: For maximum positional depth, you go with 5 pivots, 5 wings and 2 pure PGs.
Pivots - 21, 8, 31, 34, and 5
Wings - 12, 20, 17, 23, and 10
Point - 9, 14 (Barry swings over as 3rd PG)

The Spurs have 2 IR slots set and locked-in for at least 2-3 weeks...one pivot (Marks) and one wing player (Johnson). They cannot come off of IR due to real and actual incapacitation. That leaves a choice of Wilks, Sato or Massenburg for the third IR slot. The Spurs are already a little thin on size in the pivot and Massenburg has the saavy and he's shown he can contribute when the team is in dire need of post scoring or keeping guys off the block. Sato brings another wave of energy and rebounding and the creation of transition opportunities. If Udrih stays gimpy on his knee, then Sato goes to IR and Wilks becomes the 12th man.

timvp
10-29-2004, 01:39 AM
I was just telling Kori the same thing :)

The smartest thing to do is put Sato on the opening day roster and Wilks on IR. You roll with that as long as Beno is healthy. If (when) Beno bruises another body part, you just put him on IR because he'll probably need the five games off anyways to ice his bruise. That is when you put Wilks (or whoever the 3rd point guard is) on the active roster.

Once The Third is healthy, I think you bring him onboard in place of Sato. If Sean Camby ever decides he's healthy enough to play, I'd consider putting Massenburg on IR ... although Massenburg has earned his spot with his preseason play.

ps4leader
10-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Hey D....Good job.....I like the way you presented the Roster.