PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Popovich frustrated with Udrih

timvp
10-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Popovich frustrated with Udrih
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

LYON, France — The Spurs had high hopes this would be the season Beno Udrih entrenched himself as the team's backup point guard.

Four days intro training camp, they now wonder if he deserves to even be No. 3.

Udrih has spent the first six practices on the sideline nursing a sore right hamstring. It's yet another in a list of nagging injuries that have slowed him in his two-plus seasons with the Spurs — and exhausted the patience of his coach.

“He's the fourth point guard on our team now,” Gregg Popovich said after Wednesday's workout. “Give me a break.”

Popovich said he's now counting on Brent Barry and newcomer Jacque Vaughn to back up Tony Parker.

“I'm not going to sit them just to play Beno because he's healthy again,” Popovich said. “The longer he's out, the longer he's going to wait for his shot to show us something.”

Popovich doesn't have a timetable for Udrih's return, but he doesn't plan on him playing in either of the Spurs' two exhibition games in France.

The Spurs have until the end of the month to pick up Udrih's fourth-year rookie option, which normally would be an easy decision given that it will cost only $1.75 million. But Popovich said Udrih's absence in camp has given him second thoughts.

Udrih has shown he has the talent to be a productive NBA player. It's his toughness the team questions.

Parker was sidelined by a right shin injury in March, but came back earlier than expected when Udrih tweaked his left ankle.

“This is the year where we wanted to see how he's going to come through defensively, if we're going to see the potential offensively,” Popovich said of Udrih. “We think he's a hell of a passer and a hell of a shooter. But can he do it consistently or is it a night here and a night there? This is the year he needs to show that to us.

“It's very unfortunate for him and for our team, but we have to move on and look at other people because we can't count on him because he's so injury-prone.”

timvp
10-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Damn, timvp is owning people before the season even starts. Pop said almost exactly what I've been saying about Beno.

Almost word for word.

Apologies Accepted.

:smokin

Mr. Body
10-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Barry backing up Parker. What a novel idea. Too bad Pop's gotten to it two years too late.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Damn, timvp is owning people before the season even starts. Pop said almost exactly what I've been saying about Beno.

Almost word for word.

Apologies Accepted.

Obviously, this is a conspiracy by TimVP, Johnny Ludden and the Express-News to give Beno less minutes and drop his value to get who CIA Pop really wants: Mike Wilks.

angel_luv
10-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Come on, Beno!

This current situation can't happen. Get in there, kid! :)

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-04-2006, 10:29 PM

Almost word for word.

Apologies Accepted.

Cut him and sign Mike Wilks or one of the other 2000 point guards who can get the ball past halfcourt

angel_luv
10-04-2006, 10:32 PM
“I'm not going to sit them just to play Beno because he's healthy again,” Popovich said. “The longer he's out, the longer he's going to wait for his shot to show us something.”

I mean this sincerely... will someone please explain to me why that is not a spiteful comment?

SequSpur
10-04-2006, 10:33 PM

Almost word for word.

Apologies Accepted.

WHATEVER.... WELCOME TO SEQUREALITY IS MORE LIKE IT....

timvp
10-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Beno needs to sack up, plain and simple. This is his year. If he wants to be an NBA player, he has to show he has the drive, the toughness and the will to do it.

Right now he's being a puss and he's a couple weeks from going back to Europe and never being heard from again.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-04-2006, 10:36 PM
I mean this sincerely... will someone please explain to me why that is not a spiteful comment?

That's just it, V. It is a spiteful comment.

One of the things the Spurs needed and wanted was a PG to back up Tony. If Beno's just not going to work out, then it would have been beneficial to be able to go a little harder at some FA that could have filled the role instead of putting their collective eggs in Beno's purse.

angel_luv
10-04-2006, 10:38 PM

One of the things the Spurs needed and wanted was a PG to back up Tony. If Beno's just not going to work out, then it would have been beneficial to be able to go a little harder at some FA that could have filled the role instead of putting their collective eggs in Beno's purse.

Thank you for explaining.

SequSpur
10-04-2006, 10:40 PM

No offense but all they had to do was send me a fucking email and I could've filled them in on the situation.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-04-2006, 10:43 PM
No offense but all they had to do was send me a fucking email and I could've filled them in on the situation.

They already know the minimum height necessary to participate in the Fan Fiesta.

timvp
10-04-2006, 10:43 PM

Sequ, you are the biggest Beno fan I know. You are always complaining that Beno doesn't play enough.

Bietch.

SequSpur
10-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Sequ, you are the biggest Beno fan I know. You are always complaining that Beno doesn't play enough.

Bietch.

Huh?

PM5K
10-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Damn Slovenians....

sprrs
10-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Regardless of how he turns out this season they had better pick up that fourth year, if only to keep from losng him for nothing.

timvp
10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Huh?

Spurs need to play Beno more. Pop is screwing up again. I'm going to get a refund on my tickets. Pop sucks.

SequSpur
10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Sarcasm...... Duh....

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31326
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7145
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8239

Check the dates... Welcome to Reality.

Zunni
10-04-2006, 10:52 PM
That's a boss telling his employee he isn't cutting the mustard. I can only imagine that Pop is FURIOUS, since he rarely talks about specific players in the paper. I've been wondering for a few weeks whether the Spurs would pick up his year 4 option, but most posters said that they would because it wasn't very much. Call me crazy, but $1.75M is a HELL of a lot for a 4th PG.

SequSpur
10-04-2006, 10:55 PM
BTW... I have a pending patent on the phrase "Beno Sucks"

Don't be coining that phrase either.

missmyzte
10-04-2006, 10:56 PM
That really hurts, Pop never speaks that directly in a negative way about any of his players. He must really be at his wits' end with Beno. I like Udrih, but he does need to toughen up.

SenorSpur
10-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey if that's the case, ship his ass out for someone else. Last year, there was a market for Beno. Now, who knows?

MaNuMaNiAc
10-04-2006, 10:58 PM
wow, harsh words by Pop. Does anyone think bad mouthing your own players is probably no the best way to deal with the situation?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-04-2006, 11:01 PM
wow, harsh words by Pop. Does anyone think bad mouthing your own players is probably no the best way to deal with the situation?

Well, the best way would be trading Beno for a second parking pass at the AT&T Center, but even the Knicks wouldn't go for that.

Two words: Waiver. Wire.

ShoogarBear
10-04-2006, 11:05 PM
But but but . . . he's so cuuuuuuute!

timvp
10-04-2006, 11:06 PM
The Spurs have tried everything with Beno. They've tried being nice. They've tried being mean.

Now they just want him to man up and play basketball and stop getting "hurt" with little wimp injuries every second.

Zunni
10-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Maybe he's at his wits end, and has tried everything else?

When I read this, I heard Pop throwing down the gauntlet: "Improve and work a LOT harder, or no year 4 in SA". I think they WILL let him go for nothing, and I think he will ride the inactive list this year unless he pulls his head out. It's his job to be in shape and in condition. Chronic injuries with limited minutes say that he isn't doing that. How long do you think the Symphony would keep a musician who refused to practice and improve? Beno seems to not appreciate having the opportunity to play in the NBA.

ducks
10-04-2006, 11:13 PM
waive beno add devin brown and avoid the tax

aaronstampler
10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Wow this is disappointing. I think Pop never forgave Beno for wussing out last year when he finally got a chance to start after Tony was hurt. It's like Beno just wants to be a 3rd QB or something and get paid for holding a clipboard. He knows he's not better than Tony, so he doesn't even try.

C'mon dude, grow a pair. I've defended you for years, but this is unacceptable.

Solid D
10-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Major cha-ching for timvp. Beno should have broken out TO's bike-rider outfit and helmet.

http://www.timvp.com/me.jpg
Actual photo of timvp. "I'm so bad, I'm good"

Kori Ellis
10-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Beno should have broken out TO's bike-rider outfit and helmet.

http://www.teamontop.com/all_images/san_spu.gif

Mr. Body
10-04-2006, 11:18 PM
I've never seen anyone happier about a lackluster 2nd string point guard.

timvp
10-04-2006, 11:19 PM
:lol @ Solid D

That fake timvp is still around?

I bet he would have even admitted Beno was injury prone.

Solid D
10-04-2006, 11:19 PM
:smokin :lol :spin

timvp
10-04-2006, 11:20 PM

If you can find Spurs knee pads and elbow pads, maybe the Spurs have a backup point guard after all.

ducks
10-04-2006, 11:20 PM
well it is a good thing spurs still have barry
I like barry as backup point anyhow
if he knows that is what the spurs want he has all trainging camp to learn it
nice pop has made the decision now instead of later

timvp
10-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Barry as backup point isn't bad. It gets him minutes and he'll help spread the court.

He's a bad defender against point guards, but Beno isn't exactly a lockdown defender himself.

SenorSpur
10-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Perhaps Pop and the brass should have pursued this guy as a alternative. He's not much of a shooter, but he certainly would have satisfied their appetite for international flavor and could have fit the bill as a backup PG.

Wolves' Jaric Ready And Looking For A Fresh Start
4th October, 2006 - 11:45 pm
Associated Press - Marko Jaric is looking for a fresh start.

At the end of last season, the 6-foot-7 guard was tired, disappointed and frustrated. He'd lost his spot in the Timberwolves' starting lineup, and on some nights, he'd lost his place in the rotation.

"I couldn't wait for last season to end," Jaric said. "I was not happy with my situation, and I'm sure the team was not happy with me."

So he spent the offseason improving his quickness, ball-handling and attitude.

"I've worked hard, and I'm even more hungry to show people who I am," he said. "I feel like I'm ready for this season."

Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey said Wednesday he's seen the change. When Jaric came to camp last year after a trade for Sam Cassell and a No. 1 draft choice, he had tired legs and a tired mind from playing in a tournament for the Yugoslavian national team.

ducks
10-04-2006, 11:25 PM
is he more injury prone then speedy

this might make spurs pick up devin

angel_luv
10-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I wonder what question Pop was answering. I guess it was about Beno's minutes, maybe?

ATX Spur
10-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Perhaps Pop and the brass should have pursued this guy as a alternative. He's not much of a shooter, but he certainly would have satisfied their appetite for international flavor and could have fit the bill as a backup PG.

At the end of last season, the 6-foot-7 guard was tired, disappointed and frustrated. He'd lost his spot in the Timberwolves' starting lineup, and on some nights, he'd lost his place in the rotation.

"I couldn't wait for last season to end," Jaric said. "I was not happy with my situation, and I'm sure the team was not happy with me."

"I've worked hard, and I'm even more hungry to show people who I am," he said. "I feel like I'm ready for this season."

Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey said Wednesday he's seen the change. When Jaric came to camp last year after a trade for Sam Cassell and a No. 1 draft choice, he had tired legs and a tired mind from playing in a tournament for the Yugoslavian national team.

Yaric played with Ginobili in Italy, but he's not the answer. I don't know if Jaric is an NBA point guard. I saw him do a whole lot of nothing in LA.

timvp
10-04-2006, 11:28 PM
is he more injury prone then speedy

Speedy actually gets injured. He's torn an ACL, dislocated his shoulder and currently is out with a broken bone.

Beno gets bruises, strains and sprainos and refuses to fight through it. Oh and don't forget how he missed two weeks last year because he had the sniffles.

Solid D
10-04-2006, 11:30 PM

http://www.habeeb.com/images/matador.bullfight.11.jpg

Marko Jaric

mavs>spurs2
10-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Beno turns the ball over too much for Pop to trust him.

wildbill2u
10-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Spite is a feeling of resentment against someone leading to a petty desire to do them injury.

Pop isn't trying to injure Beno with this interview. Beno is doing his own career an injury perhaps by not doing all the things necessary to make sure he's in shape and always ready to play.

Pop is just telling it like it is without any sugar-coating and trying to motivate the guy into becoming a sound professional player.

SequSpur
10-04-2006, 11:57 PM
I just never understood why Pop signs wuss talent and believes they have potential.

Outside of Manu and Parker, their foreign scouting blows. The only reason they get credit for anything is because Tim Duncan is there to clean up all the bullshit and keep some happy and make them look good.

El_Mago
10-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Not surprised.

Scouting reports from the day he was drafted said he was injury proned and not tough.

With that said, I think Beno brings it this year.

He is capable of playing NBA caliber basketball, but he needs to get his shit together and needs to understand that he is in a privileged situation with the Spurs, and not stuck with the Hawks.

Das Texan
10-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Major cha-ching for timvp. Beno should have broken out TO's bike-rider outfit and helmet.

http://www.timvp.com/me.jpg
Actual photo of timvp. "I'm so bad, I'm good"

did he lose weight?

ShoogarBear
10-05-2006, 12:08 AM
He is capable of playing NBA caliber basketball, but he needs to get his shit together and needs to understand that he is in a privileged situation with the Spurs, and not stuck with the Hawks.The Hawks? Damn, could you imagine having Speedy as your starter and Beno as the backup?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 12:09 AM
The Hawks? Damn, could you imagine having Speedy as your starter and Beno as the backup?

With Alex Garcia as your third PG....

xamila rey
10-05-2006, 12:11 AM
i am so surprise to read that Pop is talking about one of his players in this way. i guess he is trying to wake up Beno and letting him know this is his last chance. i feel a little bit sorry for Beno, maybe this is just very bad luck in the very wrong moment. Right now, i am not even sure that i will see Beno playing for the Spurs this seasson.

i am sorry angel luv, u probably disappointed.
i would feel very bad if Pop talks like this about Manu.
i hope evertything works out for Beno.

DieMrBond
10-05-2006, 12:28 AM

Almost word for word.

Apologies Accepted.

It's almost too convenient this article... Are you sure you are not Luddens editor? :P

Big P
10-05-2006, 12:31 AM

No thanks..he lost his starting job AFTER signing a $40+ mil contract? What more motivation would you need? He's horrible on defense & his offense is suspect at best.

ploto
10-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Remember what I wrote just last week. I said that people would be surprised that I thought the second PG would be Vaughn and that Beno's option would not be picked up. I can't shake the feeling that Beno wants out- not out of the NBA but out of the Spurs.

Beno is NOT out of shape this summer. He spent quite some time with his national team this summer and they work those guys alot harder than NBA training camp. Plus, he spent time with his own personal coach, too.

gospursgojas
10-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Please do not pick up his option...Sign Devin instead.

polandprzem
10-05-2006, 01:26 AM
And why Pop is disapointnment?

Cause probably he wanted to give TP and manu less minutes at the begining of a season esp. Tony. So not haveing a third PG is a big loss. But jaque can play those 15 minutes I'm sure.

Dex
10-05-2006, 01:29 AM
Popovich said he's now counting on Brent Barry and newcomer Jacque Vaughn to back up Tony Parker.

Hale-fuckin-lujah. It really makes you wonder if Pop is really JUST coming across this stunning realization, because lord knows it's a long time coming.

(And for the haters, yes. I know Brent has clocked minutes at point gaurd, especially during the playoffs. But it's in the same way Tim clocks minutes at center: by necessity. He's never really been listed at the backup 1)

After two seasons, let's try putting Barry back at his natural position and see what happens. Now we know why these guys get paid the big bucks.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Move Barry to the point, then sign Devin.

milkyway21
10-05-2006, 02:15 AM
But but but . . . he's so cuuuuuuute!:lol

though I agree with Pops'
“We think he's a hell of a passer and a hell of a shooter.. " Beno's being injury prone is kind of a headscratcher.

but tell me how anyone can really get away from being injured? After Rasho left I'm sure Beno thinks he's on the hot seat to get traded too. And I think he's as frustrated as we all are.

SenorSpur
10-05-2006, 02:41 AM
I wonder what kind of shape he's in.

Bruno
10-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Nothing really new in this article, remember the "poor Beno" comment made by Pop last year.
It's up to Beno to face the public chaleenge launch by Pop.

timvp
10-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Beno is not injury prone.

It's very unfortunate for him and for our team, but we have to move on and look at other people because we can't count on him because he's so injury-prone.

Nothing really new in this article.

Come on now, mang :)

Bruno
10-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Come on now, mang :)

Pop can't say Beno is a pussy.
As I said in this previous thread "I'm not sure that Beno is really injury prone.".

timvp
10-05-2006, 04:46 AM
You still don't think he's injury prone? Beno is always nursing injuries that normal players play right through.

He's either injury prone or has no pain threshold.

Or both.

Bruno
10-05-2006, 04:54 AM
You still don't think he's injury prone?

I don't think that Beno is injury prone. After all he has played 162 games with Spurs and missed 10 games because of injuries.

However, I fully agree with the lack of thoughness about Beno.

Slomo
10-05-2006, 06:22 AM
I don't get it!?!?!?

This is such a strange and stupid public statement by Pop, whom I concider to be a smart guy. Without going into the CIA and conspiracy theories I can only see one reason for doing this and it's not a very good one: Pop needed to prove to Beno that he meant it and made it public - that would in fact mean that there's a serious communication issue between the two if he has to go public with such things to be taken seriously by Beno.

Frankly it doesn't make sense for Beno (jeopardize his NBA career) or the Spurs organization (decrease in value of one of their assests).

joeyjfive
10-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Beno Beno Beno, to be honest I never really expected much from Beno besides this upcoming season and now this happens. Beno has plenty potential but like everyone says the damn man cant get the ball past half court, im sure we all noticed a few years ago in the finals. I thought Beno was going to be happy to finally have a good chance at proving himself especially after playing behind Nick Van Exel who did an absolute horrible job as back up pg. But then Pop comes out and says these things and I can say I agree with Pop 100 percent and with other users on this board saying Beno needs to show he has some balls.

boutons_
10-05-2006, 07:52 AM
I agree Slomo. Pop is throwing down a public gauntlet for Beno.

To respond, Beno will have to be tougher than his rep, so I'm not real optimistic that Beno will respond. So he's probably a waste of $$$ and Pop's time. Pop's giving him a last chance.

SequSpur
10-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Now Beno is an asset? :rolleyes

Beno will probably be working in the concession stand.

Slomo
10-05-2006, 08:14 AM
I agree Slomo. Pop is throwing down a public gauntlet for Beno.

To respond, Beno will have to be tougher than his rep, so I'm not real optimistic that Beno will respond. So he's probably a waste of $$$ and Pop's time. Pop's giving him a last chance.No doubt!

But it's the public aspect of the whole thing that bothers me most.

We know how hard and challenging Pop was with Tony, but he never had to do it in public (or through the media - if you prefer) for it to be effective. I don't like this at all.

Now Beno is an asset? :rolleyes

Beno will probably be working in the concession stand.Alway fishing for a fight ey? :lol
But yes he is. He's not the most valuable asset on the team but he's an asset none the less. We've all seen articles and coach's opinions that Beno should have played more last season. To me that's an indication that not everybody was as disapointed in Beno as obviously Pop is - which represents a value for the team.

After public comments like the one in this article, it more or less destroys any value that Beno might have - and that is unusually stupid from the Spurs in general and Pop in particular, that is why I think there might be an underlying issue/matter we're not fully aware of.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Looks like the year Brent finally gets consistent minutes then. I don't think that's a bad thing. Time to earn his contract, and I think he can do it.

spurster
10-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Geez, Pop, your hangover is due to the wine, not to Beno. Just drink one bottle, not two.

dbestpro
10-05-2006, 08:59 AM
i am so surprise to read that Pop is talking about one of his players in this way. i guess he is trying to wake up Beno and letting him know this is his last chance. i feel a little bit sorry for Beno, maybe this is just very bad luck in the very wrong moment. Right now, i am not even sure that i will see Beno playing for the Spurs this seasson.

i am sorry angel luv, u probably disappointed.
i would feel very bad if Pop talks like this about Manu.
i hope evertything works out for Beno.

I think people need to remember how Pop said the same things about Parker as he tried to motivate him for his exapnded role. It's just Popspeak. I wouldn't worry and expect Beno to get the message and rise to the occasion as the season progresses. Pop is just trying to make Beno tougher. I would have worried more had Pop not said a word.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 09:37 AM
The four letters that are going to mean a lot to Beno this season are D, N, P and C (and one of those is used twice).

leemajors
10-05-2006, 10:02 AM
i thought it was DNP CD?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 10:07 AM
i thought it was DNP CD?

The four letters that are going to mean a lot to Beno this season are D, N, P and C (and one of those is used twice).

D - 2
N - 1
P - 1
C - 1

leemajors
10-05-2006, 10:15 AM
D - 2
N - 1
P - 1
C - 1

fear my awesome reading comprehension.

angel_luv
10-05-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't get it!?!?!?

This is such a strange and stupid public statement by Pop, whom I concider to be a smart guy. Without going into the CIA and conspiracy theories I can only see one reason for doing this and it's not a very good one: Pop needed to prove to Beno that he meant it and made it public - that would in fact mean that there's a serious communication issue between the two if he has to go public with such things to be taken seriously by Beno.

Frankly it doesn't make sense for Beno (jeopardize his NBA career) or the Spurs organization (decrease in value of one of their assests).

That is very well stated. I agree with you.

leemajors
10-05-2006, 10:30 AM
That is very well stated. I agree with you.

what i got from pop's comment is that he has exhausted every other method do trying to motivate Beno. Pop would not resort to this unless every other avenue has been exhausted. Beno has to step up or be shipped out.

Que Gee
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Barry backing up Parker. What a novel idea. Too bad Pop's gotten to it two years too late.

Thaaaaannkk you!

carina_gino20
10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
i've really wanted beno to earn solid minutes and was disappointed when he didn't get that last year. even with pop going with van exel last yr, i think beno would have gotten playing time if he really tried to earn it. since the comment actually lessens the chance of trading him, maybe pop was just calling him out.

now people have different ways of dealing with that and beno can either sulk, or man up and show that he is tough. if he doesn't, he shouldn't be a spur. potential is worthless if it isn't realized.

angel_luv
10-05-2006, 10:45 AM
I still have every confidence in Beno.

Slo spurs fan
10-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Beno just stop fucking around and stop being a pussy and show them that you can play in NBA.
See, even I (almost) lost hope.

angel_luv
10-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Believe, Slo! :)

Slo spurs fan
10-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Can´t...anymore....dissapointed.....sad....

MajorMike
10-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Beno is going to get a million dollar raise next year on a team option... I fully expect the Spurs NOT to pickup that option.

angel_luv
10-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Can´t...anymore....dissapointed.....sad....

Let's go Slo! :cheer Let's go Slo! :D

velik_m
10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
i'm surprised at the harshness of pop's words. Going public like that on your players is usually not a good idea.

furthermore, i don't think Beno will respond positively.

i think Beno is done as a spur.

10-tka
10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Damn Slovenians....

"Watch your language!"

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Please, only click this link if you like stupid YouTube videos and have five minutes of your life to throw away. You've been forewarned.

Now, this clip has "Beno Udrih" showing two things I'd like to see out of him.

1. Emotion.
2. Wearing an Orlando Magic uniform.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vSUpyW_zdHs

EDITED: My grammar.

FromWayDowntown
10-05-2006, 11:19 AM
what i got from pop's comment is that he has exhausted every other method do trying to motivate Beno. Pop would not resort to this unless every other avenue has been exhausted. Beno has to step up or be shipped out.

I think that's right.

I'm sure that this subject has been broached with Beno directly, on numerous occasions. I suspect that there was a discussion with Beno before this story ran, in which the things said in the story were expressed in far more colorful terms directly to the player.

I also am fairly sure that the Spurs brass know that Beno's hurt, but not injured, and that they expect players to play through the sort of hurt that Beno's dealing with right now. It strikes me as a very clear message to Beno that the Spurs have given him as much rope as he's going to get and it's up to Beno to decide what to do from here.

Nothing's guaranteed to Beno anymore.

dbestpro
10-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Beno may actually want out of SA with his good buddy Rasho gone. I think one of Beno's problems is the need to develop mental toughness.

FromWayDowntown
10-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Please, only click this link if you like stupid YouTube videos and have five minutes of your life to throw away. You've been forewarned.

Now, this clip have "Beno Udrih" showing two things I'd like to see out of him.

1. Emotion.

:lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Beno may actually want out of SA with his good buddy Rasho gone. I think one of Beno's problems is the need to develop mental toughness.

Considering TOR traded Villanueva for Ford, we might be able to get Bosh for Beno and Melvin Sanders.

angel_luv
10-05-2006, 11:32 AM

Beno can't let it be an excuse, but I can see how losing a good friend and countryman on your team could be an added stress factor.

sprrs
10-05-2006, 11:41 AM

Now, this clip has "Beno Udrih" showing two things I'd like to see out of him.

1. Emotion.

EDITED: My grammar.

That video was hilarious! :spin

bdictjames
10-05-2006, 11:44 AM
When we release him from the roster he'll most likely be the starting guard of most teams, he has potential, but lacks maturity and toughness

FromWayDowntown
10-05-2006, 11:49 AM
When we release him from the roster he'll most likely be the starting guard of most teams, he has potential, but lacks maturity and toughness

Maybe instead of calling him out for being a pansy, Pop should have promised Beno the starting spot if he'd just come back and play with a little injury.

Supergirl
10-05-2006, 11:50 AM

Uhhhhh...Barry's spent plenty of time as our #2 PG, backing up Parker.

SequSpur
10-05-2006, 11:56 AM
We need that point guard from Argentina. Dude can ball. Pop is probably to stupid to do that deal.

ploto
10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
i'm surprised at the harshness of pop's words. Going public like that on your players is usually not a good idea.

furthermore, i don't think Beno will respond positively.

i think Beno is done as a spur.
I agree. I don't think Beno really cares what is written about him in the San Antonio media quite frankly. I also know that when NVE was signed last summer, Beno talked to some of the other players from Europe in the NBA about their thoughts on spending what he knew would basically be a year mostly on the bench. He thought even a year ago about whether it would be better for him to be elsewhere, but he knew SA was a good club to be with . Regardless of what people say, especially about one Houston game, Beno deserved to play more last season. He earned minutes by playing very well most of the times when given a chance and he was definitely better than NVE.

Second, I have said before that the best thing for Beno would be a trade. Playing for a coach who does not appear to believe in you does not work well at all. He needs to be elsewhere. I wonder if he has asked to be traded yet, because while some players would never outright ask for a trade, I think that Beno would.

On the other hand, I hope for the Spurs sake (and Brent's) that Brent will get to play PG finally and have the ball in his hands. A part of me can't help but wonder if the point of Pop's public quotes is to justify Barry as the second PG.

50 cent
10-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Beno is soft. I don't know why we have stuck with him this long.

He can go rot away in Slovenia for all I care.

polandprzem
10-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Beno is soft. I don't know why we have stuck with him this long.

He can go rot away in Slovenia for all I care.

Have you seen this video?

Beno is not soft!

kris
10-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Almost word for word.

Apologies Accepted.

Good call.

Is Popovich pulling a Bill Parcells though? Whether he is or Beno's trying to play superstar, I don't think it really matters. Spurs aren't going to pay nearly 2 million for a guy that can't bring up the ball. Beno's too old to play the getting better card. He is what he is.

Phenomanul
10-05-2006, 01:48 PM
We need that point guard from Argentina. Dude can ball. Pop is probably to stupid to do that deal.

Pepe Sanchez.....

Where do sign???

ChumpDumper
10-05-2006, 01:51 PM
It's no longer a question of picking up Beno's option.

The question is "Will he be waived?"

timvp
10-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Here's a question to think about. If Beno is waived, does he get signed by an NBA team?

Right now, I'd say no.

Texas_Ranger
10-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Beno fouth point guard? WTF

Barry is too old to back up Tony.

baseline bum
10-05-2006, 02:35 PM
The Spurs knew Beno sucked when they refused to go out and get a point guard in the offseason. I liked what I've seen out of Barry in limited minutes in the postseason, and if he can play well backing the point in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, he should be trusted to play the 1 in any game. I don't know if he can do it full time, but Jacque Vaughn will never be able to shoot well enough to allow the Spurs to win a title if he's backing Tony up. Jacque Vaughn makes AJ look like Glen Rice.

ploto
10-05-2006, 02:41 PM
i bet toronto picks him up behind ford
No- Toronto has Calderon who played great this summer. No need for Beno.

ducks
10-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Beno fouth point guard? WTF

Barry is too old to back up Tony.
wtf

Bruno
10-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Even if I'm the only one, I still think that Beno will be a very good backup PG for this year.
In Beno I trust.

Texas_Ranger
10-05-2006, 03:35 PM
^^ I think that too.

Bruno
10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
:elephant We're two :lol
I guess we are even three (I doubt that angel_luv thinks that Beno will suck this year :) )

Slo spurs fan
10-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Four.

ducks
10-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Beno is our savior
then spurs are doomed

rasho8
10-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Well, the best way would be trading Beno for a second parking pass at the AT&T Center, but even the Knicks wouldn't go for that.

Two words: Waiver. Wire.

HAHAHAH!!!!

Jonathan
10-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Pop is overreacting, is this how he wants his players to gain confidence? talk about beatting a dead Horse.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
What did everyone from a player who showed up with a purse?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-05-2006, 06:38 PM
you think thets bad

rememba when the beno militia was up and running and everyone thought we had a solid backup point guard for the future?

T Park
10-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Beno > Parker - Ice Cold Brewski

Where is the beno homer at?

Sure as hell wish Portland was dumb enough to do that Beno for Jarret Jack trade again.....

Behrooz24
10-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Coach Pop Doesn't Care For Slovenian People

ducks
10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
he went to see rasho in person on first day he could talk to a fa

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 08:18 PM
he went to see rasho in person on first day he could talk to a fa

Sarcasm escapes you, doesn't it?

angel_luv
10-05-2006, 08:29 PM
:elephant We're two :lol
I guess we are even three (I doubt that angel_luv thinks that Beno will suck this year :) )

:tu :D

Let Beno play!

T Park
10-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Pop is overreacting, is this how he wants his players to gain confidence? talk about beatting a dead Horse

You Beno lovers are unreal.....

ploto
10-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Even if I'm the only one, I still think that Beno will be a very good backup PG for this year.
I agree- just not for the Spurs.

Slinkyman
10-05-2006, 09:48 PM
so i guess beno isn't the next john stockton?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 09:50 PM
so i guess beno isn't the next john stockton?

Beno probably wouldn't start for Gonzaga.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Why did we even acquire Brent Barry in the first place if he's not going to play? Can't trust Beno, play Barry dammit! He hustles, he can shoot the 3, pass the ball and run the break. Occasionally he even makes a nice defensive play. We're paying him 4mil per, so let him back Parker up, and use Vaughn for defense in special teams.

The team has obviously lost any confidence they had in Beno, so kick him to the curb and let Brent play. At least we know he will give his all.

(PS I would love to have seen Marcus Banks backing up Tony - that would've been electric! Never gonna happen as we didn't have the cash, but nice to dream)

Solid D
10-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Barry got some great playing time today during the 2nd quarter with the very effective "small lineup" that included Vaughn, Gino, Brent, Finley and Elson/Oberto. They were able to get major separation on the scoreboard with that lineup and Brent did a nice job offensively.

And now the negatives: Barry's passing wasn't too good today. He telegraphed two in a row, so he will need to tighten up his passes to the wing or into the post.

Barry can't defend quick PGs, so he would be limited to defending slower subs or he would need a quicker guy to play with him to defend the opposing PG.

Today Barry did a no-no. He fell asleep and broke a Pop rule by letting Amara Sy dribble right by him into the middle with a major slam. Tim and Francisco were late and it turned into an ESPN SportsCenter moment.

Behrooz24
10-05-2006, 10:55 PM
http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/uploaded/10.06/benobeef.gif

timvp
10-05-2006, 10:59 PM
http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/uploaded/10.06/benobeef.gif

:lol

Nicely done. You might even have Beno word for word there.

T Park
10-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Why did we even acquire Brent Barry in the first place if he's not going to play? Can't trust Beno, play Barry dammit! He hustles, he can shoot the 3,

Brent Barry?

Huh?

When could he shoot????????

angel_luv
10-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Beno looked unhappy in the footage they showed on the news. It made me sad.

ATX Spur
10-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Barry got some great playing time today during the 2nd quarter with the very effective "small lineup" that included Vaughn, Gino, Brent, Finley and Elson/Oberto. They were able to get major separation on the scoreboard with that lineup and Brent did a nice job offensively.

And now the negatives: Barry's passing wasn't too good today. He telegraphed two in a row, so he will need to tighten up his passes to the wing or into the post.

Barry can't defend quick PGs, so he would be limited to defending slower subs or he would need a quicker guy to play with him to defend the opposing PG.

Today Barry did a no-no. He fell asleep and broke a Pop rule by letting Amare Si dribble right by him into the middle with a major slam. Tim and Francisco were late and it turned into an ESPN SportsCenter moment.

I thought it was interesting when Pop went with Bones and Vaughn for a stretch in the 2nd quarter, to have two people who could bring up the ball. Maybe that sort of secondary backcourt could have Barry and JV switching offense/defense. That doesn't sound like a bad alternative for when Parker comes out of games.

T Park
10-05-2006, 11:29 PM

All his own doing Angel.

Stop feeling sorry for him...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Brent Barry?

Huh?

When could he shoot????????

Don't let facts get in the way, Park.

Last year he shot 45.2% from the field, and 39.6% from 3. He hit 80 3s, about one a game. Career, he shoots 45.9% and 40.2%.

If you were referring to his reluctance to shoot, maybe he's told by the coaching staff that he's a final option only. If he were the primary backup PG, I'm sure that would change.

T Park
10-06-2006, 02:35 AM
If you were referring to his reluctance to shoot, maybe he's told by the coaching staff that he's a final option only

Incorrect.

Hes encouraged by the coaching staff.

Hes told he has a constant green light.

When he does shoot hes a stiff.

I reference the games against the freakin Mavericks.

polandprzem
10-06-2006, 06:41 AM
I'm intrested in one thing - why Tim and manu are injury prone?

GrandeDavid
10-06-2006, 07:56 AM

Almost word for word.

Apologies Accepted.

Nothing new to me. I've always thought this guy was lazy and an underachiever. So sorry, my man, no props from me. ;)

dbestpro
10-06-2006, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=Solid D]Barry got some great playing time today during the 2nd quarter with the very effective "small lineup" that included Vaughn, Gino, Brent, Finley and Elson/Oberto. QUOTE]

Imagine at any time in the year if we have this line up on the floor against an NBA team. UUgghh! :depressed :depressed

ShoogarBear
10-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Barry got some great playing time today during the 2nd quarter with the very effective "small lineup" that included Vaughn, Gino, Brent, Finley and Elson/Oberto.
Imagine at any time in the year if we have this line up on the floor against an NBA team. UUgghh! :depressed :depressedWell, that's six people, so if they let us get away with it we have a chance.

Solid D
10-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, that's six people, so if they let us get away with it we have a chance.

:lol Actually, on second thought, Oberto didn't come in for Elson during that small-ball 2nd quarter. My memory failed me a bit. It was Vaughn, Manu, Barry, Finley, and Elson. The Spurs brought Timmy in to play along-side Elson after the lead got up to 10 points...and took out one of the wings (Finley, I think).

Obstructed_View
10-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Pop frustrated with Udrih? In other news, sky believed to be blue. Why would anyone be surprised with the fact that Pop gets angry with players and punishes them by denying them playing time. Rasho and Nazr, anyone?

T Park
10-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Why would anyone be surprised with the fact that Pop gets angry with players and punishes them by denying them playing time

Do you think hes justified in being mad at Udrih, or do you side with the slovenians in thinking Pop is a big old meany.

Obstructed_View
10-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Do you think hes justified in being mad at Udrih, or do you side with the slovenians in thinking Pop is a big old meany.
No, I'm sure Rasho, Nazr and Beno ALL had it coming. Being benched at the first sign of a mistake, being blamed for losses and being bashed in the press is a completely mature way for a great coach to treat a player he won't play, trade or cut, considering the slack that he cut for Manu and Parker when they made mistakes early in their careers. If Udrih is that useless, we knew this over a year ago, and it's on Pop that he wasn't replaced before the trade deadline last year. It's even more so on Pop that we've gone an entire offseason without moving him and that the coaching staff is now destroying any residual value he might have had. Fourth point guard? Fuck, people. If Pop got blindsided into having NO plan for backing up Parker I'm not sure how you manage not to blame him for it.

BeerIsGood!
10-06-2006, 06:55 PM
RC is the GM. He should have had a more active role in trading Beno last year as well. But last year there was still hope. Now all we have is a girly man with a purse. Hell, he isn't even a man. He's a boy.

SenorSpur
10-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I say ship his ass out to an NBA team - not an international one. There may still be a market yet for Beno. Perhaps even Golden State. Nellie is always willing to look at players who who score, but DO NOT play DEFENSE. If not him, check this out:

Dumars Keeping Eye Out For Veteran Point Guard

6th October, 2006 - 10:58 am
Detroit News - Joe Dumars is reportedly keeping a close eye on the waiver eye in search for a veteran point guard.

Chauncey Billups and Lindsey Hunter are the two point guards on the roster.

ducks
10-06-2006, 07:26 PM
he should be sad
he should be on the court

SenorSpur
10-06-2006, 07:30 PM

Good point. If you notice what move the Mavs have made, Avery has brilliantly "weeded out" those players with whom he felt lacked that type of toughness (Van Horn, Marquis Daniels, Doug Christie).

ploto
10-06-2006, 10:36 PM
I seem to remember another young point guard who said PUBLICLY that he wanted to be traded if Jason Kidd came to the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
10-07-2006, 02:46 AM
I seem to remember another young point guard who said PUBLICLY that he wanted to be traded if Jason Kidd came to the Spurs.And? That guy could bring the ball past halfcourt.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 02:49 AM
And? That guy could bring the ball past halfcourt.

Chump, you're just a hater.

Why does Beno always get ripped on when Tony turned the ball over once, Tim didn't average a triple-double and Rasho didn't win the slam-dunk contest?

Beno just needs to get a chance to play even though he's had those chances before and screwed them up. Beno deserves to get 32 minutes a night so he can prove once and for all that he can score six points a night.

ChumpDumper
10-07-2006, 03:02 AM
I look at Beno and think about his potential ceiling as an NBA player and I wonder if it's worth the trouble. There are things he could do very well, but damn.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 03:09 AM
I look at Beno and think about his potential ceiling as an NBA player and I wonder if it's worth the trouble.

Reading O_V trying to put Beno's contributions on par with Manu's is enough to make me was to join the radical wing of the Church of Manu.

ChumpDumper
10-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Yeah, that was fatwa-worthy.

ata
10-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Good point. If you notice what move the Mavs have made, Avery has brilliantly "weeded out" those players with whom he felt lacked that type of toughness (Van Horn, Marquis Daniels, Doug Christie).
+ Finley

willie
10-07-2006, 06:47 AM
why is it that in slovenia they castrate their young?

Kibic
10-07-2006, 08:15 AM
why is it that in slovenia they castrate their young?
Cool down boy!

wildbill2u
10-07-2006, 11:33 AM
... and it's on Pop that he wasn't replaced before the trade deadline last year. It's even more so on Pop that we've gone an entire offseason without moving him and that the coaching staff is now destroying any residual value he might have had. Fourth point guard? Fuck, people. If Pop got blindsided into having NO plan for backing up Parker I'm not sure how you manage not to blame him for it.
Pop may have stuck his neck out for Beno and now be pissed because Beno hasn't come through. I seem to remember that Pop said that Beno could wrap up the backup PG slot this year and should prove himself this year.

Hamstring injuries are funny things. Sometimes you can play with them if you get physical therapy to loosen the muscles immediately before a practice or game. Often they come from dehydration or from not being in shape to play when they are called upon for physical action outside the norm. Was Beno in shape when he reported? Is he working his therapy program diligently?

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-07-2006, 01:06 PM

No offense Angel, but get over it. Beno has no one to blame but himself. Can we please knock off the boo fucking hoo shit?

Zunni
10-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Beno can't let it be an excuse, but I can see how losing a good friend and countryman on your team could be an added stress factor.
Stress factor? What stress factor? All he has to do is practice, stay healthy, and play 10 fucking minutes per game, and that appears to be too much for him to handle. If it is, as it appears to be, he doesn't belong on the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Reading O_V trying to put Beno's contributions on par with Manu's is enough to make me was to join the radical wing of the Church of Manu.
The intent was to point out what hypocrites you guys are that cite a game where Beno turned the ball over twice as reason that he sucks when Manu turned the ball over three times in the same game. It's funny that you guys will cut Manu slack for something he did two years ago but won't even give Beno credit for the two games before the Houston game where he scored 25 points.

If Beno sucks so bad that he can't even be given playing time because he will single handedly lose the game, he should have been gone a long time ago, or at very least someone should have perhaps made personnel moves so that we aren't facing the season with Barry as the number 2 point guard.

spurschick
10-07-2006, 05:36 PM
The intent was to point out what hypocrites you guys are that cite a game where Beno turned the ball over twice as reason that he sucks when Manu turned the ball over three times in the same game. It's funny that you guys will cut Manu slack for something he did two years ago but won't even give Beno credit for the two games before the Houston game where he scored 25 points.

I don't quite see the hypocrisy when you're comparing apples and oranges. Yes, Manu has more than his share of turnovers, but he also has his lion's share of heroics. Manu made a huge mistake with the foul on Dirk, but Pop immediately declared that he's still a founding member of the Church. Beno has had some shining moments and I think that every Spurs fan would've liked nothing more than for him to be our PG backup stud, but it just hasn't happened. Pop really has shown supreme patience with him, but I think it's simply time to move on.

willie
10-07-2006, 05:46 PM
udrih could make a nba career out of being parker's backup if he had the nuts

Zunni
10-07-2006, 06:14 PM

If Beno sucks so bad that he can't even be given playing time because he will single handedly lose the game, he should have been gone a long time ago, or at very least someone should have perhaps made personnel moves so that we aren't facing the season with Barry as the number 2 point guard.

Beno played very few minutes and Manu many. As pointed out, apples and oranges.

Manu also takes more than a passing interest in playing defense.

Beno played pretty well as a rookie up until the Finals. Las year he came in fat and out of shape and had an overall horrible year. He regressed. He was expected to come in in better shape this year. That didn't happen. Pop was pissed. They wanted to give him a chance to improve and progress this year, but it seems like he doesn't give a fuck if he comes in out of shape.

A Basketball player should never pull a hammy. Sprinters and sprinter type athletes like WRs are the ones vulnerable to hamstring pulls because of the bursts of stress on the muscle. A basketball player with the ball is rarely going more than 70% of potential speed. If you are properly conditioned and flexible, a hoopster won't pull a hammy.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I don't quite see the hypocrisy when you're comparing apples and oranges. Yes, Manu has more than his share of turnovers, but he also has his lion's share of heroics. Manu made a huge mistake with the foul on Dirk, but Pop immediately declared that he's still a founding member of the Church. Beno has had some shining moments and I think that every Spurs fan would've liked nothing more than for him to be our PG backup stud, but it just hasn't happened. Pop really has shown supreme patience with him, but I think it's simply time to move on.
When a fan ignores one player's mistakes to focus on what he does well, even years before and focuses on another player's mistakes while ignoring what he does well, even in the previous game, it's hardly apples and oranges. And how is benching a guy when he fucks up, showing him up and bad mouthing him "supreme patience"? I'll be glad when the little fucker is gone just so some of these folks will shut up.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 06:18 PM
When a fan ignores one player's mistakes to focus on what he does well, even years before and focuses on another player's mistakes while ignoring what he does well, even in the previous game, it's hardly apples and oranges. And how is benching a guy when he fucks up, showing him up and bad mouthing him "supreme patience"? I'll be glad when the little fucker is gone just so some of these folks will shut up.

Who ignores the mistakes? Obviously you weren't around after the Spurs were eliminated, but just go ahead and believe what you want.

But just answer these two questions: How many games has Manu won for the Spurs? How many games has Beno?

I'll be glad when you log off so you will shut the fuck up.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Who ignores the mistakes? Obviously you weren't around after the Spurs were eliminated, but just go ahead and believe what you want.

But just answer these two questions: How many games has Manu won for the Spurs? How many games has Beno?

I'll be glad when you log off so you will shut the fuck up.
There's a real easy way to deal with it, pussy. Click the little X.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 06:22 PM
And how is benching a guy when he fucks up, showing him up and bad mouthing him "supreme patience"?

At what season would you like to declare "The Beno Experiment" over?

The end of year three? The end of year four?

I would like to think the Spurs wouldn't want to waste anymore of the Big Three's prime to make sure you felt satisfied about the little backup point guard that couldn't.

spurschick
10-07-2006, 06:23 PM
When a fan ignores one player's mistakes to focus on what he does well, even years before and focuses on another player's mistakes while ignoring what he does well, even in the previous game, it's hardly apples and oranges.

Sorry... I've read this 3 times now and I still can't make sense of it.

And how is benching a guy when he fucks up, showing him up and bad mouthing him "supreme patience"?

He's been with the team for 2 seasons, supposedly about to start his third, and there has been a huge question mark on him since his rookie season. We know that Beno has been mentioned in some trade packages in the past, but Pop has said before that the primary backup position has been Beno's to lose, so he really doesn't have anyone to blame but himself.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 06:23 PM
There's a real easy way to deal with it, pussy. Click the little X.

You still failed to answer the question.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 06:25 PM
O_V, are you still shaken up that the Spurs didn't give Hedo years of opportunities? Ron Mercer? Anthony Carter?

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 06:29 PM
At what season would you like to declare "The Beno Experiment" over?
I'd have been happy if it had been over before Nick Van Exel was signed. What the fuck were the Spurs expecting him to do if he's as terrible as all of you say he is?

I would like to think the Spurs wouldn't want to waste anymore of the Big Three's prime to make sure you felt satisfied about the little backup point guard that couldn't.
I'm not sure where you think I'm happy that he's the backup point guard. He either needs to be playing or he needs to be gone. I've said this for going on two years now. Going to the media to just gut any kind of value he might have just chains him to the end of the bench for yet another season. If that's the case then throw the little fucker into the rotation and make him play until he drops dead or he learns how to contribute to the team.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Sorry... I've read this 3 times now and I still can't make sense of it.

He's been with the team for 2 seasons, supposedly about to start his third, and there has been a huge question mark on him since his rookie season. We know that Beno has been mentioned in some trade packages in the past, but Pop has said before that the primary backup position has been Beno's to lose, so he really doesn't have anyone to blame but himself.

Damnit, Melissa. The Spurs just need to go ahead and pick up Beno's option now so he can finally feel confident and try to come up with more than 27 double-digit scoring games and 7 games with more than five assists in two years.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 06:31 PM
If there's a huge question mark on him, why in the hell is he still on the team? Why is it "supreme patience" for the coach to keep someone who CAN'T FUCKING PLAY?

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 06:33 PM
O_V, are you still shaken up that the Spurs didn't give Hedo years of opportunities? Ron Mercer? Anthony Carter?
No, I'd have been annoyed if the Spurs had continued to keep them on the bench with no sense of urgency to replace them in the rotation for two and a half years. You guys are so busy sniffing Pop's nutsack that you miss the fact that the Spurs are going into yet another season without a reliable backup for Parker.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 06:34 PM
I'd have been happy if it had been over before Nick Van Exel was signed. What the fuck were the Spurs expecting him to do if he's as terrible as all of you say he is?

Oh, I don't know, maybe work hard, play through minor injuries, and show he can handle a little competition and earn the job instead of having it handed to him?

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Oh, I don't know, maybe work hard, play through minor injuries, and show he can handle a little competition and earn the job instead of having it handed to him?
It'd be nice, but if he hasn't ever showed any sign of doing the above in the last two years, why would anyone expect him to suddenly do it now?

Bruno
10-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I find that people aren't tolerant enough with Beno. He isn't for sure a perfect play but I wouldn't say that he is done or that Spurs should give up with him.

If I were a Spurs player, I would tried to play even with a broken leg. So I can understand that people are hard on Beno because he isn't a though player. The truth is that Beno has the talent to be a nba player, not you or me and you had to accept his failings. Now the question is : Can Beno be a good backup PG with his qualities and his flaws ? I think so.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I find that people aren't tolerant enough with Beno.
Except for the coach, who has tolerated having a sucking pussy that can't dribble the ball occupying the backup point guard spot for going on three years now.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 06:40 PM
It'd be nice, but if he hasn't ever showed any sign of doing the above in the last two years, why would anyone expect him to suddenly do it now?

Wow, and the coaches would like to give him a chance to earn his option, so after trying everything else, they call him out in the media to challenge his manhood?

What a concept.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Except for the coach, who has tolerated having a sucking pussy that can't dribble the ball occupying the backup point guard spot for going on three years now.

So you would have preferred for the Spurs to just let him go immediately after failure? Well, fuck it, why is that slack-ass Duncan still on the team?

Bruno
10-07-2006, 06:45 PM

Beno has been a good backup PG for his first year.
Beno can be a "sucking pussy" but I take him over a "hard worker" like vaughn if he is a better player.

angel_luv
10-07-2006, 09:30 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...li.26498ed.html

Beno Udrih, sidelined since the start of the preseason with a sore right hamstring, said he hopes to be able to begin practicing in a week.

"It's not so tight anymore," Udrih said. "At least when we go back to San Antonio, I think I can start working on the strength and get my strength back.

"Then hopefully, in a week, I'll be back. But you never know with a hamstring."

Udrih said he initially hurt his hamstring three weeks ago while running sprints as part of his offseason conditioning.

"I just felt a pop," he said. "Two weeks after the injury, I tried to come back. I pulled it a little bit again."

Popovich called Udrih the team's "fourth point guard" last week because he hasn't been available to practice. Udrih said he understands Popovich's frustration.

"He's a coach," Udrih said. "He wants to have all his players. But I'm not happy either. I would rather be on the court than on the side watching my teammates practice. If there's anybody frustrated, it's me.

"I hope I get back as soon as possible. I'm going to do everything possible to stay healthy."

Udrih said his goal is to earn Popovich's confidence and become the backup point guard.

"That's why I'm going to work hard," he said. "This can be my year. I know I can do a lot. I'm going to do everything in my power to help the team."

:tu :)

ploto
10-07-2006, 11:21 PM
A Basketball player should never pull a hammy. Sprinters and sprinter type athletes like WRs are the ones vulnerable to hamstring pulls because of the bursts of stress on the muscle. A basketball player with the ball is rarely going more than 70% of potential speed. If you are properly conditioned and flexible, a hoopster won't pull a hammy.

He was doing sprint work as part of his off-season conditioning and it was shortly after the WC so he was in shape.

SequSpur
10-08-2006, 12:33 AM
He was doing sprint work as part of his off-season conditioning and it was shortly after the WC so he was in shape.

thanks rasho.

spurschick
10-08-2006, 01:13 AM
If there's a huge question mark on him, why in the hell is he still on the team? Why is it "supreme patience" for the coach to keep someone who CAN'T FUCKING PLAY?

Because he's shown that he CAN play. That's what is so frustrating. He truly has great potential and that is where "supreme patience" comes into play. If Pop et al didn't see that potential, they would've dumped him after his rookie year.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Because he's shown that he CAN play. That's what is so frustrating. He truly has great potential and that is where "supreme patience" comes into play. If Pop et al didn't see that potential, they would've dumped him after his rookie year.
The take from many is that he can't dribble the ball, he costs the team games and that he fakes injuries. Oh and he has a purse. His great potential has landed him as the fourth point guard on the team with the coach and now he has no trade value.

Beno can be a "sucking pussy" but I take him over a "hard worker" like vaughn if he is a better player.
Good point, but if Parker has to play during garbage time of the playoff games because Pop doesn't trust Beno to go in then I'd rather have Vaughn even if he's not as talented.