PDA

View Full Version : Possible "restricted" free agent SF for next summer

SenorSpur
10-05-2006, 09:49 AM
It's early and I don't want to build up any false hopes, but here is something to keep an eye one. Below is an article on the current status of the Warriors' SF Michael Pietrus, who unless he signs an extension before the start of the season, will be a RFA next summer. Because of the Warriors current cap situation and unless they dump some salaries, this could get a bit tricky. I wonder if the Spurs would cast their eye toward him. This will be worth watching.

WARRIORS NOTEBOOK
Nelson has new faith in Pietrus
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, October 5, 2006

Plenty of minutes were available for Mickael Pietrus in 2005-06 with Mike Dunleavy enduring a nightmare season. Problem was, Pietrus was just as bad as, if not worse than, his beleaguered teammate.

Warriors coach Don Nelson watched Pietrus struggle from afar. Nelson saw enough of an undisciplined athlete who "wasn't playing very much or very well," that he admits questioning whether Pietrus would fit into his system.

Two days into training camp, he has his answer.

"He's going to play for me," Nelson said emphatically after practice Wednesday. "He's really impressed me. He's doing what the coaches ask him to do. He's not trying to play beyond what I see him doing.

"He's been the perfect student so far."

That's no small praise for Pietrus, whose first three seasons have been marked by injury and erratic play. He began as a defensive standout before getting sidetracked by his desire to be a scorer. The maddening result was an inferior defender and an offensive player who seemed to accrue more turnovers than field goals.

Pietrus can ill afford more of the same entering his contract year. The Warriors have until Oct. 31 to extend his rookie deal, and if a new agreement is not reached, he will become a restricted free agent at season's end.

How he plays within Nelson's system, therefore, not only determines his future with Golden State, but his demand around the league.

Nelson isn't worried. He says Pietrus will see time alongside Baron Davis and Jason Richardson in the Warriors' lineup of interchangeable guards -- more if Pietrus can resist bad habits from season's past.

According to Pietrus, that includes shooting too many three-pointers and not getting enough rebounds or free-throw attempts. And so far, he's on the path to correction.

"It's not what he's showing me can do," Nelson said. "It's what he's showing me he's not going to do anymore."

Pietrus said he would not be disappointed if a new deal failed to materialize before the season. Vice president Chris Mullin said there have been no substantial conversations with Pietrus' representatives and an extension seems unlikely.

The Warriors needed to cut Devin Brown simply to stay under the luxury-tax level, and signing Pietrus now would force them to move significant salary before next season to stay under the tax again.

"I'm not thinking about that at all," Pietrus said of his contract status. "I'll just let my agent take care of that and whatever happens, happens. As far as I know, I'm a Warrior and I'm happy to be a Warrior."

Mr. Body
10-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Isn't Nocioni also RFA next summer?

AFBlue
10-05-2006, 03:19 PM
The Spurs are teetering on the edge of Luxury Tax and significant relief won't come for another two years. Summer of '08 when Tim, Tony, and Manu are the only significant contracts will be the time to assess fa's and rfa's.

Pietrus' talent alone will garner him more than $5 mil, so he'll likely get re-signed by Warriors or signed by team under the cap. Darius Miles got $9 mil, I'd say Pietrus gets at least $7.

Bruno
10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm not that high on Pietrus and I think that Spurs need a better rebounder at SF than him.

willie
10-05-2006, 05:38 PM
when is diaw available?

Zunni
10-05-2006, 06:32 PM
when is diaw available?
'08 :devil

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-05-2006, 06:38 PM
While we are on the topic for next year, how about after we dump Bonner, Beno and Jacque, how about we go after Earl Boykins? He's a free agent and he'll have a big space for him. And then we sign either Javtokas, Mahinmi, or Scola to fill in for Boner. I think this will be Horry's last year. And plus I have a feeling that one of our current centers won't fit in and will have to be traded. So we might sign 2 of the 3 I mentioned.

ducks
10-05-2006, 06:52 PM
I would have an orgasm if we signed Nocioni or Josh Howard.
do you know what that is young person

RC's Boss
10-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I would have an orgasm if we signed Nocioni or Josh Howard.
Too late! The thought of it already hit me. I need a cig :smokin