PDA

View Full Version : New ball roundly disliked by Mavs

Solid D
10-05-2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/100506dnspomavslede.292821a.html

Ever-growing list of players still trying to get a grip on switch

01:31 AM CDT on Thursday, October 5, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

DENTON – As far as the Mavericks are concerned, the NBA can take its new ball and go home.

The league decided to change official basketballs this season, replacing the pebbled, leather spheres with a microfiber composite ball that is getting widely ripped.

"They stink," guard Jason Terry said of the new ball. "I've worked out with it all summer long, and I've grown accustomed to losing the ball out of bounds a couple times. It's going to happen."

The ball has the look and feel of an indoor-outdoor ball, Terry said. And he's not the only one who has had trouble holding onto it.

"Dirk [Nowitzki] had two or three layups [in practice] and they just popped right out of his hands," Terry said.

Nowitzki, one of the NBA's biggest stars, gave a succinct impression of the new ball: a thumb's-down signal.

The Mavericks are falling in line with just about every other player in the league. Shaquille O'Neal blasted the ball even before he'd played with it, although it's the same game ball used in the last two All-Star Games, league officials said.

While the dimensions of the ball are the same as the previous ball, which had been used for more than 35 years, it simply looks and feels different.

"It's like a volleyball," coach Avery Johnson said. "It feels smaller than the other ball. But I personally don't complain about that stuff. It's just different. We been using another ball for 100 years, and it's change. And you got to adjust to change."

The league announced their would be new official game ball during the off-season. It was only the second change in the ball in 60 seasons. The ball has a special traction design that is supposed to offer superior grip and feel. But it seems to be more of a synthetic feel than anything else, according to players.

About the only positive players could find with the new ball is that it doesn't need a break-in period like the leather balls. Of course, that means the new ball always feels new, which isn't necessarily a good thing, either.

"Once the ball gets wet, it's going to go everywhere," guard Devin Harris said. "People going up for layups are having the ball slip out. I think there's going to be more turnovers and lower shooting percentages."

Harris said the ball is particularly unruly when it gets moisture on it.

"If they can keep the ball from getting wet, moving balls in and out, so it can stay dry, that might work," he said. "I don't see it getting any better."

Like it or not, the players will have to live with it. The NBA has no intentions of going back to leather.

And at least one Maverick thinks the new ball is an improvement.

"I got no problem with it," Josh Howard said. "A ball's a ball. Once you get in the groove, it still goes in. And I got smaller hands, and this one is easier for me to palm."

E-mail [email protected]

MajorMike
10-05-2006, 10:38 AM
"They stink," guard Jason Terry said of the new ball. "I've worked out with it all summer long, and I've grown accustomed to losing the ball out of bounds a couple times. It's going to happen."

Wow... a ball that Terry can't palm and carry.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Wow... a ball that Terry can't palm and carry.

The Spurs should pipe in the theme song from The Benny Hill Show whenever Terry's bringing the ball up court.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Jason Terry's Dribbling Music (http://home.comcast.net/~millenniumbiz3/tv/Benny_Hill_Show.mp3)

Solid D
10-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Now, when the Spurs play the Mavs on opening night, here are two new strategies. The Pop squirting flower and the Bruce Bowen squirting ring. Any time the Mavs have the ball on a key possession....you do the math. :lol

http://www.zymetrical.com/images/products/squirtflower.jpg http://www.prankplace.com/images/fun2/squirtring.jpg

Slomo
10-05-2006, 01:16 PM
The Spurs should pipe in the theme song from The Benny Hill Show whenever Terry's bringing the ball up court.:lol

And his replays should actually be at twice the normal speed!

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-05-2006, 01:21 PM
How long before Cuban sends in a videotape from a practice session of the Mavs that shows them having difficulty with the new ball?

Phenomanul
10-05-2006, 01:52 PM
How long before Cuban sends in a videotape from a practice session of the Mavs that shows them having difficulty with the new ball?

:lmao

He probably already did....

mavsfan1000
10-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Man what a time for the nba to change balls. Right when the mavs become the favorites. This is bs.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Man what a time for the nba to change balls. Right when the mavs become the favorites. This is bs.

Please tell me this is a joke.

JHoLove
10-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Please tell me this is a joke

I certainly hope so.

jacobdrj
10-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Usually I get mad when people bring up that there is no such thing as HCA when people play on fields not made of the same material as the ones they are used to (i.e. Colts playing the Pats in the POs... that is SO not fair)

HOWEVER... BOTH TEAMS WILL IN FACT BE PLAYING WITH THE EXACT SAME BALLS... and these balls are ABSOLUTELY STANDARDIZED!

This is a good thing... and all will be balanced out...

velik_m
10-05-2006, 02:52 PM
The season hasn't even started and Mavs are already complaining. :rolleyes

PM5K
10-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Idiots, there was no reason to change the ball...

If it ain't broke....

mavs>spurs2
10-05-2006, 03:17 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

mavsfan1000
10-05-2006, 03:24 PM
The new ball allows inferior teams to have a better chance of winning based on turnovers and great shooters losing thier touch (Dirk). Fuck Stern.

dirk4mvp
10-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Dammit. Why can't Wade hate the new ball? Then the NBA would definately go back to the they was already using.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-05-2006, 04:01 PM
The new ball allows inferior teams to have a better chance of winning based on turnovers and great shooters losing thier touch (Dirk). Fuck Stern.

??? Everyone has to play with it. It may cause more turnovers by teams, but "inferior" teams are going to have to contend with the same problem and commit more turnovers as well.

And most of the complaints I've seen have been that it makes ball control and layups more difficult than it impacts jumpshots. If anything this new ball will make life tougher for guys like Tony Parker and Wade than it will on shooters.

I'm in agreement that it's stupid to introduce a new ball and by all accounts it will probably lead to ugly b-ball with more turnovers, but it's not going to throw the balance of the NBA. Shitty teams will still be shitty, great teams will still be great-they'll just be shitty or great while playing with a different ball.

baseline bum
10-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Who would have ever guessed the Mavericks would be complaining to the NBA about something?

dirk4mvp
10-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Who would have ever guessed the Mavericks would be complaining to the NBA about something?

Shaq didn't complain and bitch about it either.

:angel

mavs>spurs2
10-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Don't make this out to be a mavericks whine-fest. Shaq, maverick players, and many others have all said they hate the new ball.

leemajors
10-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Don't make this out to be a mavericks whine-fest. Shaq, maverick players, and many others have all said they hate the new ball.

yeah, but we only have the mavs as a team (outside of terry) being mentioned in an article disliking it. shaq publicly stated he hates it, wade did say he wasn't crazy about it, but it is something he's going to have to learn to deal with. it may well be the quotes were taken out of context, but that's how the hometown paper presented it.

ducks
10-05-2006, 04:35 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/100506dnspomavslede.292821a.html

DENTON – As far as the Mavericks are concerned, the NBA can take its new ball and go home.

The league decided to change official basketballs this season, replacing the pebbled, leather spheres with a microfiber composite ball that is getting widely ripped.

The ball has the look and feel of an indoor-outdoor ball, Terry said. And he's not the only one who has had trouble holding onto it.

"Dirk [Nowitzki] had two or three layups [in practice] and they just popped right out of his hands," Terry said.

Nowitzki, one of the NBA's biggest stars, gave a succinct impression of the new ball: a thumb's-down signal.

The Mavericks are falling in line with just about every other player in the league. Shaquille O'Neal blasted the ball even before he'd played with it, although it's the same game ball used in the last two All-Star Games, league officials said.

While the dimensions of the ball are the same as the previous ball, which had been used for more than 35 years, it simply looks and feels different.

"It's like a volleyball," coach Avery Johnson said. "It feels smaller than the other ball. But I personally don't complain about that stuff. It's just different. We been using another ball for 100 years, and it's change. And you got to adjust to change."

The league announced their would be new official game ball during the off-season. It was only the second change in the ball in 60 seasons. The ball has a special traction design that is supposed to offer superior grip and feel. But it seems to be more of a synthetic feel than anything else, according to players.

About the only positive players could find with the new ball is that it doesn't need a break-in period like the leather balls. Of course, that means the new ball always feels new, which isn't necessarily a good thing, either.

"Once the ball gets wet, it's going to go everywhere," guard Devin Harris said. "People going up for layups are having the ball slip out. I think there's going to be more turnovers and lower shooting percentages."

Harris said the ball is particularly unruly when it gets moisture on it.

"If they can keep the ball from getting wet, moving balls in and out, so it can stay dry, that might work," he said. "I don't see it getting any better."

Like it or not, the players will have to live with it. The NBA has no intentions of going back to leather.

And at least one Maverick thinks the new ball is an improvement.

"I got no problem with it," Josh Howard said. "A ball's a ball. Once you get in the groove, it still goes in. And I got smaller hands, and this one is easier for me to palm."

E-mail [email protected]

mavs whining already :lol :lol :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-05-2006, 04:57 PM
It's not just Shaq and the Mavs. Check this thread:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50993&highlight=cassell

There's a couple of articles posted in there. Among the new balls detractors are James Worthy, Luke Walton, Corey Magette and Steve Nash.

leemajors
10-05-2006, 05:16 PM
It's not just Shaq and the Mavs. Check this thread:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50993&highlight=cassell

There's a couple of articles posted in there. Among the new balls detractors are James Worthy, Luke Walton, Corey Magette and Steve Nash.

sheed says he doesn't like it either, but several mavs spoke up at the same time about it. if this article was about the spurs the mavs fans would be cracking wise twice as much as the few spur fans laughing.

MrChug
10-05-2006, 05:48 PM
I REALLY DID THINK THIS WAS A JOKE. The all-time whiniest team in NBA history and they can't even wait for the fucking pre-season to start before they start making excuses?!!?!?! :lmao

Fuck you Mavs...remember: YOU DIDN'T WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONHSIP WITH THE OLD BALL EITHER. :elephant

BUMP
10-05-2006, 05:52 PM
is there a point to this thread?

we knew what was coming

dirk4mvp
10-05-2006, 05:55 PM
I REALLY DID THINK THIS WAS A JOKE. The all-time whiniest team in NBA history and they can't even wait for the fucking pre-season to start before they start making excuses?!!?!?! :lmao

Fuck you Mavs...remember: YOU DIDN'T WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONHSIP WITH THE OLD BALL EITHER. :elephant

They beat the Spurs with it. :elephant

BUMP
10-05-2006, 05:56 PM
here we go again

:sleep

dirk4mvp
10-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Shaq likes to bitch too. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50940)

stretch
10-05-2006, 06:03 PM

you truly are an absolute dumbfuck.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-05-2006, 06:05 PM
its funny cuz the mavs probably wont win a championship with the new ball either

dirk4mvp
10-05-2006, 06:06 PM
its funny cuz the mavs probably wont win a championship with the new ball either

I don't think the Spurs will either. Tim's ft% already sucked ass.

sa_butta
10-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Everyone is going to be using the same ball. Its not like any team or player is being singled out. NBA players are paid professionals, and while the ball may not be the greatest thing in the world, this should only improve their skills with a less than average ball.

MrChug
10-05-2006, 08:34 PM
you truly are an absolute dumbfuck.

And by the brilliance of your reply, one can only suppose that you're level of "dumbfuckery" is unparalelled.

MrChug
10-05-2006, 08:35 PM
They beat the Spurs with it. :elephant

...yet still will go down in history as failures!!!!! :nutkick:

:owned

dirk4mvp
10-05-2006, 08:37 PM
...yet still will go down in history as failures!!!!! :nutkick:

:owned

No ownage at all there. That was pretty gay though.

MrChug
10-05-2006, 11:07 PM
No ownage at all there. That was pretty gay though.

Brilliant comeback. MENSA right? Class of NEVER?? Look retard, you're faggot obsession with a winless team and a faggot german don't make your dreams about getting his kiobasa up your loose bunghole any less gay. You're a faggot and your favorite player's a faggot...and a loser, oh and the faggot team he plays for are losers too. Oh, and you...you're a faggot, wait--did I already say that?

mavsfan1000
10-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Brilliant comeback. MENSA right? Class of NEVER?? Look retard, you're faggot obsession with a winless team and a faggot german don't make your dreams about getting his kiobasa up your loose bunghole any less gay. You're a faggot and your favorite player's a faggot...and a loser, oh and the faggot team he plays for are losers too. Oh, and you...you're a faggot, wait--did I already say that?
How old are you? :lol

BUMP
10-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Chug is the enforcer :lol

i love it

50 cent
10-06-2006, 10:41 AM
At least the Mavericks already have an excuse for when they choke this year.

Shank
10-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Odd how someone named "Mr. Chug" would call someone else a faggot.

Obstructed_View
10-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Mavs fans now have a built in excuse when their team chokes it away. "See, I told you at the beginning of the year the ball sucks."

lurker
10-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Why can't Wade hate the new ball? Then the NBA would definately go back to the they was already using.
He does hate it.

It's hilarious that Stu Jackson claimed he was getting a good response about the ball and that everyone that touches it loves the feel. I guess no one from the Suns, Mavs or Heat is included in "everyone."

Obstructed_View
10-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Is it really a news story if someone says they like the ball? Someone would get fired for writing a story like that.

ponky
10-06-2006, 03:46 PM
wow, all this smack talk and we're still over three weeks away

the article was written by Eddie Sefko, a DALLAS morning news dude who has all-access to the mavs org...no big wonder that this particular article has nothing but mavs complaining about the ball...btw, sefko got the perspective of three players and a coach, not the entire mavs team...oh wait, he did get a fourth player's p.o.v., jho said he had no problem with the ball...spurs spinners suck

dirk4mvp
10-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Mavs fans now have a built in excuse when their team chokes it away. "See, I told you at the beginning of the year the ball sucks."

Or the Spurs have an excuse for when they lose to the Mavs again.

dirk4mvp
10-06-2006, 08:14 PM

That was almost funny. How long did it take you to think of all that?

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-06-2006, 09:19 PM

Yeah, the league conspired against the chokers in last year's Finals just to make sure that they couldn't get back and disgrace the league with a similar one in the future.

BeerIsGood!
10-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Who really gives a fuck here? I've played with high grade leather balls in big gyms as well as rubber basketballs out in the playground in the fucking wind. And I made shots and dominated either way. Pussies. Just shut the fuck up and play the fucking game. These spoiled bitches will find anything to complain about.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Except that the Spurs and their fans and their owner aren't the ones crying about every little thing. The balls that cost the Mavericks in big games aren't made by Spalding.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-07-2006, 06:27 PM

Right, because the Spurs rolled out excuse after excuse in and after their series with the Mavs, unlike the parade of the entire Mavs organization, from 12th man to coach to owner, after they got punked in GAME 3 of a playoff series by Dwyane Wade.

dirk4mvp
10-07-2006, 07:26 PM
No need to cry over spoiled milk. Yall got beat so stop bitching. And you'd all be dumb shits to say they can't beat yall next year.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2006, 05:49 PM
No need to cry over spoiled milk. Yall got beat so stop bitching. And you'd all be dumb shits to say they can't beat yall next year.
The only ones bitching are the Mavs and their fans. Check the thread title.

dirk4mvp
10-08-2006, 09:26 PM

Riiiiiight. The Mavs are the only ones who dislike the new ball.

Rip-Hamilton32
10-08-2006, 10:15 PM

lmao actually the spurs and mavs fans just won't stop crying its pretty annoying and im just waiting for the season to start so you will stop bitching at each other

mavsfan1000
10-08-2006, 10:24 PM
lmao actually the spurs and mavs fans just won't stop crying its pretty annoying and im just waiting for the season to start so you will stop bitching at each other
Why would it stop than? :lol

phyzik
10-08-2006, 10:49 PM

Im tired of it too.... childish behavior on both sides, but the homer in me says its more the mavs fans coming here to stir up shit then the Spurs fans doing it. :elephant

P.S. Mavsfan1000.... its THEN not THAN!! :smokin :stirpot:

LilMissSPURfect
10-08-2006, 11:14 PM

SORRY ....FINLEY came immediately to mind... :oops

mavs>spurs2
10-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Im tired of it too.... childish behavior on both sides, but the homer in me says its more the mavs fans coming here to stir up shit then the Spurs fans doing it. :elephant

P.S. Mavsfan1000.... its THEN not THAN!! :smokin :stirpot:

I'm still sort of new here, but something tells me that when/if the mavs win the season opener there will be plenty of mav trolls running wild.

phyzik
10-09-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm still sort of new here, but something tells me that when/if the mavs win the season opener there will be plenty of mav trolls running wild.

Even when/if the Mavs lose they will be here.... this is like the mecca for NBA trolls... I guess its their own morbid little way of showing respect.

Honestly, even though it annoys the shit out of me sometimes, I'd rather have it that way than (the correct use of the word Mavsfan1000 :angel ) the "regime" over at spursreport where someone speaks their mind and you never hear from them again.

Besides, its funny to see all the people who think wrongly that the Mavs are some extrodinarily superior team to the Spurs because they FINALLY barely squeeked by on the hurt and "old" Spurs in a full 7 game series and that it took a career year for Dirk and some superior shooting from others to do it. :smokin

The Mavs will always be known as the retarded brother of the little engine that could... you know... the little engine that almost did.

j/k :lol

I do hope the Mavs get a title some time, just as long as its while the spurs are rebuilding after Duncan and preferably when you get rid of that big fucking douche bag of an owner.

ponky
10-09-2006, 11:05 AM

Right, so this is why Stern made a statement yesterday that the new balls are being tested and not a sure thing, a return to the leather balls is still a viable option....this, after all the negative reactions around the league...or is it just the Mavs?...nah, I don't think so.