PDA

View Full Version : Suprise - Weaver gets the ball today

MajorMike
10-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Tony went with Weaver instead of Suppan.

Jeff Suppan is the Cardinals' consensus No. 2 starter behind ace Chris Carpenter, but he went 7-2 with a 3.18 ERA in the first season of new Busch Stadium, as opposed to 5-5, 5.36 on the road.

Jeff Weaver, meanwhile, was 4-1 with a 4.03 ERA on the road as a Cardinal, as opposed to 1-3 with a 6.52 ERA at home. He got hot at the end of the year, winning three of four decisions in September with a 4.15 ERA. The lone loss was a 1-0 heartbreaker to the Pirates in which he surrendered one run in seven innings. Weaver, who pitched two full years for the Dodgers before this season, has made nine career starts against the Padres and is 3-4 with a respectable 3.64 ERA in those games.

If Weaver wins and the Cards go up 2-0, Suppan and Reyes will pitch in St. Louis games 3 and 4. This would allow Carp to pitch either a deciding Game 5 in San Diego or be ready to pitch a Game 1 in NY/LA.

The Padres are starting a small suprise of their own, originally slating Chris Young to throw today, going with seasoned veteran David Wells. Wells is 1-3 his last 7 starts. He is 10-4 in 26 starts all time in postseason, with 7 of those wins coming with the Yankees from '97 - '03.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2006, 01:51 PM
If the Cards win this game with Weaver on the mound, the series is over.

Great move by La Russa.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Weaver is a gas can.
He'll be serving up grapefruits like there's no tomorrow for the San Diego bats to crush over the fence.

T Park
10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Bump....

So hes a gascan huh?

5 innings 3 strikeouts 1 hit...

Yeah he stunk :rolleyes

Told you guys that Weaver had been pitching better and better, and that it wouldn't suprise me to see him pitch a gem.

leemajors
10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
why did they yank him so early?

T Park
10-05-2006, 11:10 PM
let him leave on a high note.

and wanted to to have Flores vs the leftys...

I don't know the total answer.

5 innings, 76 pitches.

Weaver was a stud today.

Hopefully his next game, isn't till game 2 vs NY or LA :)

MajorMike
10-06-2006, 07:17 AM
why did they yank him so early?

Uh... because he's Jeff Weaver. Comes a certain point where you have to stop flipping off the devil.

leemajors
10-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Uh... because he's Jeff Weaver. Comes a certain point where you have to stop flipping off the devil.

haha

T Park
10-06-2006, 10:38 AM

The guy was a stud all september long won 3 games for the team.

He is 5-1 with a 3.89 ERA on the road for the Cardinals since joining them.

THe myth of Weaver being pathetic is just that, a myth.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-06-2006, 11:08 AM
THe myth of Weaver being pathetic is just that, a myth.

Not so fast my friend, let's not give Jeff Weaver any career achievement awards yet.

He's had two seasons above .500.

He's 15 games under .500 for his career.

tlongII
10-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Most myths have their basis in fact.

T Park
10-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Not so fast my friend, let's not give Jeff Weaver any career achievement awards yet.

He's had two seasons above .500.

He's 15 games under .500 for his career

maybe hes had bat pitching coaches.

amazing how he starts doing well all of a sudden once he gets under the tutledge of Dave Duncan

I guess Mel Stottlemeyer and whoever Anaheim has are not as good as advertised

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-06-2006, 01:02 PM
maybe hes had bat pitching coaches.

amazing how he starts doing well all of a sudden once he gets under the tutledge of Dave Duncan

I guess Mel Stottlemeyer and whoever Anaheim has are not as good as advertised

Bud Black seems to be doing a fine job with Jered.

MajorMike
10-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Argueably considered the best pitcher of our time, Nolan Ryan, had a career record of 324-292 (.526).

Cy Young holds the record for most career losses.

When Eric Gagne won the Cy Young in 2003, his record was 2-3.

Sometimes, you have to look for content. For instance, 3 times Weaver has been in the Top 5 in complete games. Twice he had been in the Top 5 in shut outs.

I am in no way saying he's a Hall of Famer, but he has ability. If any one person has shown he can take a 'washed up' pitcher and make him respectable... its Duncan.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-06-2006, 01:35 PM
When Eric Gagne won the Cy Young in 2003, his record was 2-3.

Uh, huh....so they're giving out the award to starters who go 2-3?

Oh, wait, no they don't. Gagne is a CLOSER who had 55 saves in 55 opportunities.

All I'm saying is for T Park not to nut his shorts in an effort to say Weaver is a godsend and in an effort to do so, blame it on Weaver's pitching coaches.

T Park
10-06-2006, 03:56 PM
All I'm saying is for T Park not to nut his shorts in an effort to say Weaver is a godsend and in an effort to do so, blame it on Weaver's pitching coaches.

you totally avoid the facts.

Pretty much how everyone loves to do here now a days.

Whats the reason for his resurgence? Hes not any different style wise.

Maybe its the pitching coach.

Bud Black also had Bobby Jenks in his bully i believe, as was the former closer in Milwaukee, and couple others they had cut.

Whatever.

Go ahead and flame on, im sure im once again wrong about this since im not apart of the "club"

leemajors
10-06-2006, 04:21 PM
i am just saying dude is prone to give it up. maybe he was just a headcase who matured a bit. he always had good stuff but was just prone to big innings.

T Park
10-06-2006, 06:09 PM
He was and still is.

But the fabulous work by Dave Duncan has matured him and hes learned how to pitch.

Something Black and Stottlemeyer couldn't do.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 03:08 AM

Whats the reason for his resurgence? Hes not any different style wise.

Maybe its the pitching coach.

Bud Black also had Bobby Jenks in his bully i believe, as was the former closer in Milwaukee, and couple others they had cut.

Whatever.

Go ahead and flame on, im sure im once again wrong about this since im not apart of the "club"

Considering you just called an entire nation a bunch of liars, it's probably best if you learn to stick with facts.

Dave Duncan also had Dan Haren in his pitching staff. See, I can blame pitching coaches, too.

But you know what (and I've said this before), you make me actually want to root against teams because you always play the "Woe Is Me" card. Always.

Frankly, you give the good fans of the Cardinals a bad name.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 03:58 AM
For you new people, here's just a sampling of the "Woe Is Me" T Park.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122380&postcount=7

But, of course, if anyone else made the damn thread, it would be a great thread, since its me, the forum whipping boy, its terrible.

Blow it out your asses.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1034368&postcount=36

I just quoted what she said on the show, and I agreed with it.

Thank you JohnGates, Im not irritated, im used to it.

Being the forum whipping boy has its perks too.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=712881&postcount=193

Ive admitted when I've been wrong.

But you and other's childish "T Park hate" doesn't let you see that.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=545840&postcount=61

I guess I am that.

Thats what everyone says I am. Go ahead and just hate me.

Get in line, you'll save alot of time.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=531557&postcount=44

What are all of you 12???

Im not posting an apology thread, Im not doing nothing.

If you "guys" want to accept me, whatever, I dont lose sleep about it one way or the other.

Don't like it?? Could care less.

God, this could go on for days...this is like listening to one of those Time-Life collections of greatest hits. Man, the memories.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 04:16 AM
And finally, the topper on the cake.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=169017&postcount=16

Its cool, I plan on visiting less and less.

People think im bigoted racist blah blah.

Fuck that. ITs a message board.

And if a bunch of loser geeks at a computer think that, fuck em.

Ive got better things to do, and I know, and my friends and family know Im a good person.

Just because some clown that lives in New York calls him self Smeagol.

Or some short guy in San Antonio thinks hes a basketball expert, when he couldn't tell the difference a hoop and a net.

Its ok, some here "Hate" me. I know, I get private messages saying "I wish youd dissapear the wrong way"

Its cool.

MajorMike
10-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Dave Duncan also had Dan Haren in his pitching staff. See, I can blame pitching coaches, too.

Haren was middle relief in '04 when we had 5 15-game winners and we led the league in ERA. Hard for him to get any PT when your starters are doing that well.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Haren was middle relief in '04 when we had 5 15-game winners and we led the league in ERA. Hard for him to get any PT when your starters are doing that well.

I probably should have researched the Bobby Jenks info (never pitched with the Angels) before using that and I know the Haren talk isn't valid.

It was mainly the fact that Eric chooses to say stuff like Bud Black and other coaches are probably the reason Weaver didn't excel (when in fact, Black can lay claim to K-Rod, Kelvim Escobar and a number of other Angels pitchers).

I don't mind that people disagree with me at all, in fact, I enjoy the civil conversations and back and forth and have taken my lumps when they're deserved (such as my post that if the Cards took Game Two with Weaver and could come back with Suppan and possibly Carpenter, that this series wasn't going back to San Diego).

What I do mind are Eric's constant escalation of arguments to the points of insulting mass quantities of people when he knows his generalizations are flawed.

"You totally avoid the facts."

Really? Weaver is a solid pitcher. He didn't become a HOF pitcher (I know you didn't say that, Cap'n) as soon as Duncan got a hold of him.

"Oh, well, he's so-and-so in road games in the month of September."

What's next?

"Well, Weaver is blah-blah-blah in night games following a loss when he gives up two runs or less. Must be Duncan's work"

Do I think Haren's formation as a solid starter came as soon as he left the Cards? No, I don't. It was a stupid argument to prove a stupid argument on Eric's part.

Of course Haren's not going to get innings when your five starters each throw 182.0 innings or more.

I don't mind baseball (or any sport) fans giving their thoughts, but if you're going to go with blinders on, expect to get his with more concentrated opinions against you.

Most people can accept that. It's been proven time and again that Eric can't.

Read the full threads I linked to. Most of what Eric faces is brought on himself.

T Park
10-07-2006, 11:49 AM
NO problem johnny you want to personally attack me no problem.

Im also not the first to rip into the slovenians ahem manny ahem.

But its fine.

Kori still likes me and wants me here and thats all that matters to me.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 12:07 PM
NO problem johnny you want to personally attack me no problem.

Im also not the first to rip into the slovenians ahem manny ahem.

But its fine.

Kori still likes me and wants me here and thats all that matters to me.

Just remember, you've brought it all on yourself.

Yeah, I guess I should've just let that slide.

And really, if you're going to play the "Kori wants me here" card all the time, then why do you give a rat's ass if you're "part of the club" or "everybody hates you"?

T Park
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I brought nothing on myself.

But go ahead and pile on and be one of the "cool" peeps there Johnny, didn't think you were like that but of course, its a message borad and you don;t truly know people.

Props to the Padres and especially Chris Young.

Hell of a game.

Hell of a big hit by Russel Branyon, and great job by Linebrink and Hoffman.

Onto game 2, hopefully the team and Carpenter can duplicate their effort from game 1.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I brought nothing on myself.

Oh, I disagree.

Do a search of your name and "whipping" and "hate".

And count those posts.

You constantly make accusations and assumptions of people, but when they do the same to you, well, you're the victim.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
But you know what, you must be right.

Everybody always piles on you without provocation, so just keep on chugging along and I guarantee you'll be in this situation again.