PDA

View Full Version : Sixers Lose to Barcelona

MrChug
10-05-2006, 05:45 PM
76r's- 91
Barcelona's Winterthur FC- 104

Big deal or not? First NBA team to lose to a European team on their home soil since 1987. I mean I knew the Sixers were lame, but DAMN!

http://www.nba.com/games/20061005/PHIBAR/boxscore.html

BUMP
10-05-2006, 05:48 PM
:rollin :rollin :rollin :owned

jacobdrj
10-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Iverson and Webber should be suspended for this

:rolleyes

kingsfan
10-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Did anyone see it? I only got to listen and it seemed like the first half they were doing OK then kind of fell apart. Their FT% was horrible though, I think they said in the 50'shttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif For some reason I can't see the box score.
I don't like the red + yellow stripes on the shoulder though. Hopefully that's just for Europe and they'll lose them when they get home.

JamStone
10-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Only embarrassing if Iverson and Webber played, and played regular minutes in the second half. Other than those two and Iguodala, that team is not very good.

MrChug
10-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Their big 3 did definitely play and played late in the game. By all accounts by NBATV they had Korver on as well in the waning minutes...

...and still lost. :spin

Tobias
10-05-2006, 08:41 PM
I said "wow"

MaNuMaNiAc
10-05-2006, 08:52 PM
NBA rules?

RS189
10-05-2006, 08:53 PM
^yep, and NBA refs

ATX Spur
10-05-2006, 11:10 PM
The loss would be worse if the USA teams weren't already losing games in WBC's and the Olympics, I think.

MrChug
10-05-2006, 11:16 PM
The loss would be worse if the USA teams weren't already losing games in WBC's and the Olympics, I think.

You're right, and there's a balance. The question is: Is this INsignificant because it's just exibition, or is it SIGnificant because it's our best teams against their regular NATIONAL teams using OUR refs and rules???

ATX Spur
10-05-2006, 11:51 PM
You're right, and there's a balance. The question is: Is this INsignificant because it's just exibition, or is it SIGnificant because it's our best teams against their regular NATIONAL teams using OUR refs and rules???

I think it's significant, because it's another indication that the talent gap is closing between the US and the rest of the world. But not too significant. It is, after all, just an exhibition game. I'm sure the team from Barcelona took the game alot more seriously. The Sixers, on the other hand, didn't have a whole lot to lose. I would expect that, knowing the NBA's plans to promote the game in Europe, there will be more games in the coming years between NBA teams and Euro teams, and consequently will be more NBA losses.

NASpurs
10-06-2006, 01:23 AM
http://www.nba.com/europelive/sixers_061005.html

"Considering it's the first game after five days and we're still getting our touch and playing together," Chris Webber said, "it's definitely not gonna affect our psyche. We know what it is and we give them all the credit for winning today, but we're preparing for an NBA championship."

:lol

ATX Spur
10-06-2006, 01:28 AM
but we're preparing for an NBA championship."

:lol

Is that Webber quote from six years ago? :hat

THE SIXTH MAN
10-06-2006, 01:33 AM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

velik_m
10-06-2006, 02:27 AM
17 points from Jaka, not bad...

Kibic
10-06-2006, 03:00 AM
I think it's significant, because it's another indication that the talent gap is closing between the US and the rest of the world.

There is no gap anymore. It is all over now. I just read some quotes...boy are they stupid or what.:

"I just thought their offense gave us a little trouble," Cheeks said, "because we're used to playing the typical NBA offense, and their offense was moving, cutting and screening."

Basketball is basketball though, and the Sixers could have done a much better job of keeping Barca from rotating the ball to the open shooter so easily. An important concept, especially when the whole team can shoot.

"They had a lot of guys that could shoot the ball," Cheeks remarked after the game.

What it is all about BB????
They are moving and screening.... And then those guys who can actualy shoot the ball. It is just not fair.

ATX Spur
10-06-2006, 03:57 AM
There is no gap anymore. It is all over now. I just read some quotes...boy are they stupid or what.:

"I just thought their offense gave us a little trouble," Cheeks said, "because we're used to playing the typical NBA offense, and their offense was moving, cutting and screening."

Basketball is basketball though, and the Sixers could have done a much better job of keeping Barca from rotating the ball to the open shooter so easily. An important concept, especially when the whole team can shoot.

"They had a lot of guys that could shoot the ball," Cheeks remarked after the game.

What it is all about BB????
They are moving and screening.... And then those guys who can actualy shoot the ball. It is just not fair.

Well, Cheeks' comments were too dismissive. I will definitely give you that one. But the talent gap hasn't closed completely yet. Players like Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Marion, VC, etc. are unrivaled in athleticism and talent. The globalization of basketball will close this gap eventually. For now, the talent pool of the US is just too large.

It is worth noting that of the Greek team that pick-and-rolled to death the USA team, not one of those Greek players could play in the NBA. Possibly the exception of Spanouliss. US teams with the talent of Wade, Lebron, Carmelo and others should run the table, so it's the approach that needs altering. The talent gap certainly hasn't closed yet.

Kibic
10-06-2006, 04:54 AM
It is worth noting that of the Greek team that pick-and-rolled to death the USA team, not one of those Greek players could play in the NBA. Possibly the exception of Spanouliss. US teams with the talent of Wade, Lebron, Carmelo and others should run the table, so it's the approach that needs altering. The talent gap certainly hasn't closed yet.
Yeh, ok!
But they don't. Maybe they need some more talent. So the gap would be bigger an they would loose with bigger diference let say 25, 30 pts. So they can all cry on CNN news not just Carmelo. :)

Ok, let us put it this way. How should we measure how good this teams are. Or how many times they should loose to admitt that thay are actualy loose.

Isn't the ggood game of BB the right way?

ploto
10-06-2006, 08:41 AM
I couldn't believe when I heard the same excuse that we hear during international competition-- that they have been playing together so much more. This is not their national team or anything- it is a regular league team with players from all over. Only half the team is from Spain and the coach is Serbian. Almost half the players are new to the team this season, as well.

CubanMustGo
10-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Ploto - while I agree that the talent gap is definitely closing, we're talking about a 76ers team playing its first game of the season, several thousand miles from home, and which could not even make the playoffs last year in the NBAs Leastern Conference ... which is usually possible if a team has four players and a warm corpse.

Americans shouldn't dismiss the progress that European teams are making, but the 76ers were at a serious disadvantage in this one.

Did they hire the Spurs FT coach? :lol

BUMP
10-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Ploto - while I agree that the talent gap is definitely closing, we're talking about a 76ers team playing its first game of the season, several thousand miles from home, and which could not even make the playoffs last year in the NBAs Leastern Conference ... which is usually possible if a team has four players and a warm corpse.

Americans shouldn't dismiss the progress that European teams are making, but the 76ers were at a serious disadvantage in this one.

Did they hire the Spurs FT coach? :lol

i thought they played at home?

1Parker1
10-06-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm embarrased to say I'm from Philly right now :depressed

Spurologist
10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
99-104.

pathetic. Bet they are using the same excuse powerhouse European football teams use when they play the mls and lose. "It's the preseason and we starting......."

It's a competition and it's no excuse for playing like shit