PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Parker dazzles French crowd

Manu20
10-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Spurs' Parker dazzles French crowd

Web Posted: 10/05/2006 11:20 PM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100606.01D.BKNspurs.lyon.gamer.2e68890.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

VILLEURBANNE, France — The chant began with three minutes left, the game all but over and the Spurs already eyeing their early morning flight to Paris.

To-ny! To-ny! To-ny!

Tony Parker leaned back in his sideline chair and smiled as he listened to the sold-out crowd in the cozy L'Astroballe arena yell his name. He rose from his seat, whispered a few words in Gregg Popovich's ear, then — with his coach's permission — walked to the scorer's table for one last curtain call.

"I just wanted to say goodbye," Parker said.

Unable to play for France's national team in the World Championships after breaking his right index finger, Parker did his best to make amends Thursday night. He treated his countrymen to an entertaining show, scoring 26 points and distributing 10 assists as the Spurs routed Adecco Asvel 115-90 in front of 5,600 fans.

"I know I have to play well here in both games to make them happy and say I'm sorry," Parker said. "I'll be back next year for the European Championships."

Parker's French goodwill tour will continue Sunday in Paris when the Spurs play Israel's Maccabi Tel Aviv. The first stop went as well as could be expected.

Though Parker only resumed shooting a little more than a week ago after breaking his finger on Aug. 15, he didn't need long to find his touch. He made 10 of 13 shots, one of which was a 3-pointer from deep in the left corner.

"I'm feeling good compared to last year in training camp when I was changing my whole shot," Parker said. "I don't feel like I'm hot or I'm making more shots than usual. I just feel like it's a normal improvement because I've been working hard in practice."

Seventeen of Parker's points came in the first quarter. With the Spurs clinging to a one-point lead and a little more than a minute remaining, Parker closed out the quarter with three consecutive baskets, burying a 20-footer, tossing in his signature teardrop shot and driving for a layup.

The flurry helped break open the game as the Spurs scored 17 unanswered points.

"He just kind of took over," Tim Duncan said.

Duncan looked fairly dominant, scoring 19 points while making 7 of 8 shots. He said his left foot, which troubled him for much of last season, feels good.

"He's in the best shape he's been in five or six years," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's been working for about the last month, last month and a half, so he's ready to go."

Parker figured to need a while longer to regain his rhythm after his six-week layoff. His finger, however, passed its first test without any problems. His feet seem to be working, too.

Parker repeatedly beat his defenders off the dribble. After Rowan Barrett stuck a 3-pointer to give Asvel a 24-22 lead, Parker bolted by him for a layup while drawing a foul in the process.

Parker showed off his jump shot in the second quarter, hitting a 3-pointer plus back-to-back 20-footers.

"I was a little bit surprised at his range more than anything," Popovich said. "I'm actually starting to expect his midrange jumper to go in."

Popovich started Fabricio Oberto at center with the four holdovers from last season's opening-night lineup. He gave all of them a healthy dose of minutes: 26 for Parker and Duncan, 25 for Bruce Bowen and 23 for Manu Ginobili, whose lower back stiffened after he banged his hip in the third quarter. Newcomer Eric Williams also left with a sore foot.

Maccabi is expected to provide a tougher test for the Spurs than Asvel. But the French League team still had some moments. Amara Sy, an athletic 6-foot-7 forward, threw down a vicious dunk over Francisco Elson. Barrett also used a crossover dribble to make Bowen slip, freeing himself for an open jump shot.

"The game in the NBA is pretty much individual," said Asvel center Vincent Masingue, "but it's impressive to see how (the Spurs) get along so well together on the court."

The Spurs also dressed appropriately: Their traditional black uniforms had blue, white and red stripes down the sides in honor of the French flag.

Parker had no trouble seeing replicas of his jersey in the crowd. Several fans wore his No. 9 and he received a loud ovation during introductions. After that, he didn't need long to get the small arena buzzing.

Popovich pulled Parker late in the third quarter and planned to keep him on the bench for the rest of the night. Even when the crowd started chanting, Popovich initially hesitated before sending him in for the last 1:25.

"We were up by 25 points and I thought it would be rude to a put a starter back in the game," Popovich said. "Secondly, it would be very irresponsible on my part to put him back in a preseason game like that and have him become injured.

"But Tony kept asking me. He just wanted to say thank you."

Notebook: Popovich played his regulars for most of the first three quarters. Elson, who had five points and six rebounds in 19 minutes, was one of the first players off the bench. Jackie Butler didn't come in until 8:55 remained. ... Parker confidently drilled a 3-pointer, but Popovich still wants him to be selective with the shot. "The light hasn't changed on his threes yet," Popovich said. "There has to be a little bit more evidence." ... Popovich lamented leaving Lyon. "No more great dinners and no more wine. I'm really sad," he said. "We'll try to find those things in Paris."

ducks
10-06-2006, 12:01 AM
one of which was a 3-pointer from deep in the left corner.

ducks
10-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Parker showed off his jump shot in the second quarter, hitting a 3-pointer plus back-to-back 20-footers.

"I was a little bit surprised at his range more than anything," Popovich said. "I'm actually starting to expect his midrange jumper to go in."

Duncan looked fairly dominant, scoring 19 points while making 7 of 8 shots. He said his left foot, which troubled him for much of last season, feels good.

"He's in the best shape he's been in five or six years," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's been working for about the last month, last month and a half, so he's ready to go."

boutons_
10-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I'd still like Tony to exaggerate the full arm extension, hold it up there a bit, like other good shooters do. He still cocks his arm back so fast it's hard to see he actually got full extension.

ducks
10-06-2006, 12:08 AM
duncan is in his best shape in 5 or 6 years
LOOK OUT MAV FANS!

ATX Spur
10-06-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm sure Pop can still get wine and great dinners, especially if they're headed back to Paris.

boutons_
10-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Injuries and lack of hustle are the two big risks for the Spurs this year.

ducks
10-06-2006, 12:14 AM
I think the hustle will be
all of what have read on the spur players this year
they seem hungry for a title more so then in the past
injuries are a concern
manu makes the hustle plays and he was injured alot last year

RC's Boss
10-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Awwww can't wait for the season to start... Excuse me I gots to go pee!

milkyway21
10-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Manu Ginobili, whose lower back stiffened after he banged his hip in the third quarter. :depressed

boutons_
10-06-2006, 12:53 AM
yep, I saw him get that bump and immediately grab his hip as he ran down the court.

angel_luv
10-06-2006, 06:44 AM
Poor Gino! I hope he is better quickly, if not already.

Tony was super impressive yesterday. 10 assists plus all those points is awesome. :)

ploto
10-06-2006, 06:58 AM
OK- just to make sure that I have this correct. Oberto started and had 6 points and only 4 or 5 rebounds. Elson played 19 minutes and shot (2-6) and had 5 points and 6 rebounds. Bonner was pretty non-existent; Butler played garbage minutes; and Horry is hurt.

TwoHandJam
10-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Manu Ginobili, whose lower back stiffened after he banged his hip in the third quarter.

Please tell me this isn't going to be a repeat of last year. Why do I feel like I've seen this movie before?

Bruno
10-06-2006, 08:48 AM
OK- just to make sure that I have this correct. Oberto started and had 6 points and only 4 or 5 rebounds. Elson played 19 minutes and shot (2-6) and had 5 points and 6 rebounds. Bonner was pretty non-existent; Butler played garbage minutes; and Horry is hurt.

Oberto and Elson were quite good yesterday.

ploto
10-06-2006, 09:02 AM
But Bruno-- stats are what matter-- not setting screens or making good passes or being in position on defense. 6 & 4 from the starting center sucks! :rolleyes

Bruno
10-06-2006, 09:06 AM
But Bruno-- stats are what matter-- not setting screens or making good passes or being in position on defense. 6 & 4 from the starting center sucks! :rolleyes

5 & 6 > 4 & 4 :)

I can understand that you're angry about the Rasho bashing on this board and that you're disapointed that Spurs traded Rasho but there is no reason to bash Spurs' centers on this game.

ploto
10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm not bashing the centers- I am giving posters with inconsistent criteria a hard time. If Rasho started against THAT team and had 4 or 5 rebounds, he'd be killed on here. It is hypocritical for some (not you) to say Oberto played well because of his screen setting and Elson played well because of his defensive position. How many dunks did they have? :lol Isn't that the most important thing?

Solid D
10-06-2006, 09:39 AM
This game was a game against Addeco, not the Mavs or Heat, so take this game for what it was.

For those who didn't get to see the game, TP was feeling it like never before. Everything he put up seemed to go in. He even took a dribble hand-off (from Tim I think) on the left wing and hit a shot with his left foot on the 3-pt line...and with some time still on the shot clock. Not your usual Tony.

I thought Elson and Fabi both did a nice job on the high screen/rolls. I also thought Fabi and Bonner did nice jobs of moving without the ball, flashing to the open area at the FT line or running back-door. Actually, Fabi did the best job of all the bigs of cutting open and coming to the ball when the movement seemed to stop. Bonner couldn't hit his jumpers but he scored twice inside, once off an exchange that included a behind the back pass from Jacque Vaughn to Melvin Sanders, who then deftly fed Bonner under the basket.

Elson looked pretty good when paired with Tim and he also did a nice job with the small lineup to start the 2nd quarter to expand the lead to 10 pts. It helped that he didn't have to deal with Troutman that much. He seems to have better hands than Nazr. His help defense and anticipation was quite surprising but he needs to work on his base leverage defending down on the low block. That was weak.

I thought Jacque Vaughn was great with everything except taking the open shot. His awful shooting legacy is probably under construction right now (with Engelland). It's not that he didn't shoot well...he didn't shoot at all. The good part of that was, he showed poise and patience and the offense benefited from that aspect. Jacque had two or three impressive passes. One was a no-look feed to Gino under the basket who then wrapped a no-looker around his defender to a cutting Elson for an and1. Another time, Vaughn made a long entry pass to the post perfectly where Timmy had deep position for a score.

Boulevard1
10-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Dang Solid D, thanks for the good analysis (as per usual).

ShoogarBear
10-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm not bashing the centers- I am giving posters with inconsistent criteria a hard time. If Rasho started against THAT team and had 4 or 5 rebounds, he'd be killed on here. It is hypocritical for some (not you) to say Oberto played well because of his screen setting and Elson played well because of his defensive position. How many dunks did they have? :lol Isn't that the most important thing?It's also important that they're doing it for much less money.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm not bashing the centers- I am giving posters with inconsistent criteria a hard time. If Rasho started against THAT team and had 4 or 5 rebounds, he'd be killed on here. It is hypocritical for some (not you) to say Oberto played well because of his screen setting and Elson played well because of his defensive position. How many dunks did they have? :lol Isn't that the most important thing?

Rasho Nesterovic $6,720,000

Fabricio Oberto $2,325,000

Francisco Elson ~$3,000,000

polandprzem
10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
duncan is in his best shape in 5 or 6 years
LOOK OUT MAV FANS!

Last year Pop said: duncan is in his best shape in 4 or 5 years...

Obstructed_View
10-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Yep. Those of you that kept pointing to the box score or the dunk count to reinforce your point that Rasho sucks are going to have to die by that sword until the current centers start filling it up.

Bruno
10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Just to complete what this article about Parker's jumpshot, a translation of what parker says after the game :

Question : Is your good shooting game due to your twisted finger ?
Parker : laugh No it's because of the twisted finger. It's the result of th work with Chip Engelland. People think that it's only a good shooting night but they're wrong. I work very hard with Chip. In the future, you will realize that I've improved my jumpshot.

timvp
10-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Man, when David Robinson retired there weren't half as many posters stuck on him. This whole year we're going to have to hear about how Rasho would have done it better.

I'll give it to Rasho that although his stats won't blow you away, he made more fans as a role player than anyone in Spurs history. Not sure what it was but congrats :tu

bdictjames
10-06-2006, 04:50 PM
We're not careful with turnovers though, and I haven't seem Big Shot Rob hit shots so that game wasn't really helpful

Bruno
10-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Man, when David Robinson retired there weren't half as many posters stuck on him. This whole year we're going to have to hear about how Rasho would have done it better.

I'll give it to Rasho that although his stats won't blow you away, he made more fans as a role player than anyone in Spurs history. Not sure what it was but congrats :tu

It's logical :
Rasho has been more successfull with Spurs than Robinson :
Robinson : 2 titles in 14 years => 14% of success
Rasho : 1 title in 3 years => 33% of success

David Rabinson isn't even the most successfull Robinson in Spurs history
Glenn Robinson : 1 title in 1/2 year => 200% of success

:spin

ducks
10-06-2006, 05:53 PM
link

boutons_
10-06-2006, 05:58 PM
"I've improved my jumpshot."

At least his confidence is at the right level. :)

Would be so great if he really became a top jump shooter, even just mid-range.

ducks
10-06-2006, 06:05 PM
would it not be great if dwight howard and tony parker were the the two great stars
after duncan retires

td4mvp21
10-06-2006, 06:06 PM

GTF over it.

ploto
10-06-2006, 06:31 PM
This whole year we're going to have to hear about how Rasho would have done it better.

Three years later we are still hearing about how David would have done it better.

It should be about holding everyone to the SAME standard- pure and simple. But instead it's really about LOW expectations being set for the new guys.

ducks
10-06-2006, 06:32 PM
robinson is in another class then rasho
sorry

ploto
10-06-2006, 06:33 PM
You make my point for me. Rasho was held to the standard of David. The new guys won't be. Shouldn't they at least be held to the standard of Rasho?

ducks
10-06-2006, 06:38 PM
the season has not even started yet
training camp
people will compar the new centers to rasho and david give them some time
fans know what little they got from rasho

ducks
10-06-2006, 06:41 PM
you can not go to 3 or 4 players each quarter because then the player does not get in a rythym

BeerIsGood!
10-06-2006, 06:48 PM
You make my point for me. Rasho was held to the standard of David. The new guys won't be. Shouldn't they at least be held to the standard of Rasho?

Rasho was a productive center in many ways, but at his salary he wasn't worth the money. If we could have had Rasho at 3 mil (approx. half) he would have been worth keeping to match up against the bigger, slower centers in the league. It's not Rasho's fault the Spurs overspent on him, but it's not the Spurs fault he wasn't worth the money either. In the end he gets a fresh start in Toronto next to Bosh, and the Spurs get to groom cheaper centers to get what they need. Elson = quickness and running ability. Butler = size and power.

ploto
10-06-2006, 06:52 PM
It's not Rasho's fault the Spurs overspent on him, but it's not the Spurs fault he wasn't worth the money either.
Blame Minnesota. They set his market value and he took less to play for the Spurs.

the season has not even started yet
training camp
people will compare the new centers to rasho and david give them some time

First pre-season game as a Spur-- in France-- and the comparisons to David began THAT NIGHT on the local news with a clip of Gasol scoring. Just asking for the same treatment.

milkyway21
10-07-2006, 02:43 AM
NBA.com-chronicling the life of Tony Parker (& the Spurs in France) ...

http://www.nba.com/europelive/lyon_blog.html

http://www.nba.com/media/duncan_060930arrive_200.jpg