PDA

View Full Version : Kori, The Departed starts today

Jimcs50
10-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Kori, a Martin Scorsese film that could be as good as your Goodfellas starts today.

A beautiful, bloody masterpiece

By AMY BIANCOLLI
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Crown him the king of the underworld.

After decades of chronicling American outlaws, Martin Scorsese has made his finest film since Goodfellas — a bloody, bloody-good crime saga about allegiance and betrayal within a South Boston panoply of hoodlums and cops.

The Departed is a hard, visceral work, as unsentimental and shocking as anything the director has done. And as vicious: If you don't have a cast-iron stomach, cultivate one or stand clear.

Devotees will note the reappearance of certain Scorsesean themes, from the lost-son motif to the Judas motif to the discomfiting juxtaposition of religion and death; a prominent character dies in cruciform, his arms spread-eagled against a garbage bin. The director also remains as fascinated by ethnic tribalism as he is by gangland loyalties, exploring the tough Irish-Southie fealty that drives both police work and crime.

Adapted by screenwriter William Monahan from the 2002 Hong Kong thriller Infernal Affairs, The Departed features an intricate plot, an epic scope and a cracking-good cast that includes prickly supporting turns from Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg and Ray Winstone. So massive and admirable is the whole ensemble that it seems unfair to single out just one actor, but there he is: Jack Nicholson as Frank Costello, a Boston mob boss who's the target of a state police investigation into organized crime.

Among the cops assigned to the case are Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon), an upright young plainclothes man with a squeaky-clean record, and Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio), a cadet with family ties to several criminal bottom feeders.

This makes Costigan ideal as an undercover mole, and it makes the plot ripe for ironic jerks and twists: As we soon learn, the speckless Sullivan is a dirty cop who works for Frank. So there's a rat on the force, and there's a rat in the gang, and lies lead them both through a maze of deadly consequences.

Damon is a cold customer here, as smooth and opaque as frosted glass. No one sees through him. As his girlfriend, Vera Farmiga is the opposite — transparent, mottled with doubt — and as his counterpart, DiCaprio displays a gift he didn't own only a few years back, the gift of tormented average Joe-ness. Having shed the last confining bonds of it-boy superstardom, he's finally just a man. His outbursts seem born of plain desperation.

It's an ugly thing, this film. Make no mistake. But its ugliness is rendered with such authority and humor — such zest — that it begins to seem like beauty.

Nicholson's character alone is a monstrosity of appalling dimension and charm; I'm not sure he has ever seemed less human or more beguiling, and I'm not sure any other actor could persuade us so well on either count. In one of the film's most memorable touches, Frank asks a guy in a bar about his mother. "She's on her way out," says the barfly. "So are we all," Frank zings back. "Act accordingly."

For all its bloodletting, The Departed is an intoxicating film. It's a film that'll have your hands over your face with one eye peeking: The violence sickens, but the movie seduces. After the self-conscious period fetishism of Gangs of New York and The Aviator, Scorsese has at last rediscovered the addictive buzz of filmmaking — the death grip of virtuoso storytelling that grabs and shakes and startles.

Long live the king, with a vengeance.

boutons_
10-06-2006, 08:13 AM
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/10/05/PH2006100500835.jpg

Nearly 70, Jack Nicholson Remains True to Himself

By Ellen McCarthy
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, October 6, 2006; WE35

It's a Thursday afternoon in September, and there is a house party to plan. But first there's middle school parents' night to contend with and a teenage daughter's early adventures in driving to worry about. Our host is just back from a two-week hospital stay brought on by a savage throat infection, so even if he'd like to be out hitting golf balls, he's still in his slippers. And bouncing around somewhere is a young one who keeps calling him a name to which he cannot adjust: Gramps.

Jack Nicholson is about to turn 70.

The term "middle-aged" no longer applies. The man -- the man who gave us on-screen acid trips, who made a certain brand of frightening, phantasmagoric tirade his trademark, whose self-styled legend has him bedding enough beauties to satiate the menfolk of most mid-size countries -- has somehow gotten on in years, settled into a kind of humdrum domesticity. He reads. He paints. He reads. He decides he might go "give the help a hard time for an hour or so."

It's a strange thing, probably, for the actor who first seized fame as an embodiment of youthful dissonance and vigor to find himself suddenly five years out from the average-life-expectancy mark. To know that some of his contemporaries are already considering retirement communities and investing in orthopedic footwear. To realize that he is, well, old.

And yet the qualities that defined the actor's greatness, brought him from suburban New Jersey to Mulholland Drive and made him an American icon are undiluted.

These things remain: Eyebrows like protractors. Lips that snarl and twitch and sometimes vanish into a curtain of big, familiar teeth, releasing a smile with the paradoxical power to both gladden and unnerve. A relentless, piercing wit that informs every action and utterance. (The lesson of an early acting coach -- "Do the surprising thing" -- could be the title of his career.) A voice that makes each word sound as though it traveled through a hundred menthol cigarettes and a pebble-mincing food processor before reaching his tongue. A cadence that opts, as often as not, to override any hint of a pause between sentences but can stretch a single syllable into wicked crescendo.

For instance: "The dildo was aaaawwwllll Jack."

The sex toy in question is one he found himself twice inspired to carry onto the set of "The Departed," a thriller in which Nicholson plays an Irish mob boss with -- ta-da! -- a husky appetite for carnal pleasures. The film, a remake of the 2002 Hong Kong crime drama "Infernal Affairs," is noteworthy, if only for a cast that includes such names as Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin and Ray Winstone, but mostly because it marks the first professional meeting between two kings of American filmmaking, Nicholson and Martin Scorsese. (See review on Page 36.)

It is also the event that prompted Nicholson -- notoriously press hungry and open in his early years, but dramatically less so in the last decade -- to participate in a 45-minute phone interview from his Los Angeles home on the eve of the movie's release.

"We're both cinephiles so we talked movies together for 30 years. . . . You know, I visited Martin on a dozen sets. I've always been in touch with him," the actor says, by way of explaining why a collaboration between him and Scorsese was so long in coming. "This is the first time we had an occasion, really."

Which may be at least part of the truth, but it's also true that the occasion nearly didn't present itself. Nicholson, who has collected three Oscars, for performances in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975), "Terms of Endearment" (1983) and "As Good as It Gets" (1997), turned down the role of Frank Costello when it was first offered, insisting the character was too flat. (Playing hard to get with industry suits is an old trick of Nicholson's, usually to the boon of his bank account, though he has, on occasion, protested to the point of regret. In 1974, Robert Redford was all too happy to nab the title role in "The Great Gatsby" after Nicholson took a pass.)

Goading from DiCaprio, whom he calls a friend, and an agreement with Scorsese that together they would reassemble the mobster into a richer, more layered character persuaded Nicholson to take the part. In the end, Nicholson came to consider Costello "the embodiment of evil," a man who holds nothing sacred as he engages in a cat-and-mouse game with Boston police officials and the mole hidden within his own ranks.

"There's a lot of degrees to this monster," he says. "I just wanted to make sure he was obviously corrupt in every area . . . absolute power, corrupt absolutely." In the early days, before he got his big break with "Easy Rider" in 1969, Nicholson used to write screenplays, mostly as a device to create parts for himself. He's still at it in a way, improvising on set and thrusting his character, at least in this case, into further raunch (see: dildo).

"I got to go as far out as I wanted and gave [Scorsese] several hundred different performances, and he wound up picking out a good one," the actor says in the space of a long, casual exhale. And the clash one might expect during a convergence of entrenched masters didn't happen, at least according to Nicholson. It was, he adds, an enjoyable job, "a very, very creative experience. Very different. . . . Marty's a very enthusiastic and supportive director."

It will be hundreds of movie reviews and a decade or so before we know how important "The Departed" is to the Nicholson canon, but the role of Frank Costello does seem a fitting one, for the man and his hour. The actor says he finally took the part because, after three consecutive comedies -- "About Schmidt" in 2002, followed the next year by "Something's Gotta Give" and "Anger Management" -- he was ready for a dramatic endeavor. But there may have been some other attraction to the role of an aging chieftain in constant, violent battle to maintain his eminence. "I haven't needed the money since I took Archie's milk money in the third grade," Costello seethes to an underling. "Tell you the truth I don't need [sex] anymore either, but I like it."

Sex. It is the signature Nicholson leaves on most of his characters, this one to a menacing degree. Costello is not just a mobster, he's a misogynistic mobster who dons leopard print robes, lewdly harasses nuns and interrogates adolescent girls about their menstrual cycles. If the criminal's graphic sexual maneuvers make some viewers queasy, well, that's the idea. "Audiences are very tolerant of murder, but they're not too tolerant of corrupt sexuality," he says.

Nicholson's own storied sexual exploits have been tolerated, even revered, by fans and obsessed over by journalists. "Too much," he claims. "Too much for reality." But in the same minute, he also claims that if he were ever to write an autobiography, it would start with this line: "From the age of 3 or 4 on, life has pretty much been about sexuality . . . but more about that later." Incidentally, it's a book he says will never be written.

Nicholson describes his relations with the opposite sex as a "very positive, symbiotic, positive connection," one he attributes to an upbringing dominated by strong leading ladies. (The actor, who was raised in Neptune, N.J., famously believed his grandmother to be his mother and his real mother to be his sister until an enterprising reporter told him differently in 1974. Both women were dead by then, and the identity of his father, who was not in the picture, has never been confirmed.)

Though he was wed only once -- a five-year marriage in the 1960s to actress Sandra Knight that ended in part, he once said, because "I couldn't take the arguments, they bored me" -- the list of darlings seen on his arm has never stopped growing. Does he have a girlfriend now?

"No. Well, I mean, what do you mean 'girlfriend'? I have a few, uh, I have many long-standing relationships with women," he purrs. "But you mean 'Do I have what they call in high school a "steady girl"? ' Not really."

A classic answer from America's favorite sexagenarian seducer. In truth, what Nicholson says he treasures most now is clarity. "Where there's clarity, there is no choice; where there's choice, there is misery," he chants. It's a line he has used before. The phrase -- actually a quote from the 1968 Monkees' movie "Head," on which Nicholson served as a writer -- was invoked years later when he told longtime love Anjelica Huston that a young actress-model named Rebecca Broussard was carrying his child.

That child, Lorraine, 16, is the one now worrying Nicholson with her position behind the wheel. ("You know she asked me about it," he grunts. "I said, 'Look, don't even ask me. I would love it if you drove a tank.' ") Lorraine and brother Raymond, 14, split time between Broussard and Nicholson, who says his oft-quoted declaration about being "not good at cohabitation" doesn't apply to his progeny. Oldest daughter Jennifer, the result of his marriage to Knight, is in her forties and the mother of two. Son Caleb was born in 1970 to "Five Easy Pieces" co-star Susan Anspach.

Nicholson gushes with affection for his children. "My kids just stun me, ya know?" he says. "They're gorgeous, they're fabulous. . . . They're young, so they're out there punching and jabbing and moving, and it's fun for me."

In fact, the man who made us believe he might murder his wife with an ax in 1980's "The Shining" is said to cry at airport departures of loved ones. If there's one public misconception about him, he says, it's that he's a brute. "I'm not a chump either, but I'm not like an aggressively tough guy," he says. "You know, I'm funny."

Whether he will always be a working actor is a different matter. Nicholson has taken long periods off before and has thought of giving it up altogether. He has appeared in more than 50 films and is indisputably one of the greatest stars of the big screen. Yet he insists the decision to proceed with this career or call it a day is guided by the belief that "nobody cares whether or not you're always going to be an actor or what you're going to do next. You know, they don't -- it's just a thing to talk about."

During those pensive stints, when the thought of a life outside soundstages and makeup chairs has held particular appeal, it comes back, he says, time and again, to this: "Well, look, right now I still like making beautiful things."

And so, six months before 70, Nicholson feels, he says, "glad to be here."

"I think it's amazing that I'm still a movie actor at this age, but that's just good fortune."

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

katyon6th
10-06-2006, 08:38 AM
The cast itself and Scorsese give me reason enough to go watch this film.

Spurminator
10-06-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm glad Scorcese is back to making Scorcese movies.

Hopefully he'll get his overdue Oscar this year.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-06-2006, 10:20 AM
If there hadn't been a fuck-up with my paycheck today, I'd go see this tomorrow.

Solid D
10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Kori, a Martin Scorsese film that could be as good as your Goodfellas starts today.

PMs not working today? :smokin

Previews looked great.

tlongII
10-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Jack will be great in this. Jack is always great. Too bad he's a Laker fan.

angel_luv
10-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Jack will be great in this. Jack is always great. Too bad he's a Laker fan.

It is consistent with his love for drama. :)

T Park
10-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah but does it have guys in it named "Jimmy Two times" like Goodfellas.

Get the papers get the papers...

MannyIsGod
10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
This movie looks baaaaaaaaaaad ass. I do belive I should go see it.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I can't believe I'll probably have to wait a week or two for it to come out down here

JoeChalupa
10-06-2006, 12:11 PM
I can't wait for the DVD.

ShoogarBear
10-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm not big on DiCaprio and especially Matt Damon, but Scorses + Nicholson = Can't Miss.

ObiwanGinobili
10-06-2006, 01:34 PM
i know 2 people who are boycotting this film as a part of thier over all DiCaprio boycott.
:rolleyes :lol
they said "every little bit helps".

ATX Spur
10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I can't believe I'll probably have to wait a week or two for it to come out down here

I think it might be longer than that. Have you seen anything about it coming out in BA?

ChumpDumper
10-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Looked like everyone was overacting in the previews. I know I'll see it anyway.

1Parker1
10-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm not big on DiCaprio and especially Matt Damon, but Scorses + Nicholson = Can't Miss.

Yea, I'm not a fan of either, still looks like a great movie...

BTW, I can't believe Jack Nicholson will be 70....! :wow

Solid D
10-06-2006, 03:44 PM
I'd better go early to see it, because I don't want to walk a long ways after I "pahhk the cahhh".

1Parker1
10-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I'd better go early to see it, because I don't want to walk a long ways after I "pahhk the cahhh".

:lol

ShoogarBear
10-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Yea, I'm not a fan of either, still looks like a great movie...
:nope

It's rated R. Are you going to be accompanied by an adult?

ATX Spur
10-06-2006, 03:52 PM

Just as long as it's not next to Hahvard Yahd.

Kori Ellis
10-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Jim, thanks. I knew it was coming out soon but I didn't realize it was today.

I wonder if it will be able to top Goodfellas as my favorite movie. Maybe we'll see it this weekend.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Looks like a great movie. More of a Mean Streets feel than Goodfellas from what I've heard and read.

1Parker1
10-06-2006, 10:45 PM
:nope

It's rated R. Are you going to be accompanied by an adult?

:lol :flipoff

MannyIsGod
10-08-2006, 01:45 AM
Has anyone else seen this? I saw it tonight and thought it was awesome.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Has anyone else seen this? I saw it tonight and thought it was awesome.how awesome? Goodfellas awesome? or is it overhyped a little?

MaNuMaNiAc
10-08-2006, 02:02 AM
I think it might be longer than that. Have you seen anything about it coming out in BA?http://www.villagecines.com/Preview/Index.asp

check the list, the Departed is there, and it says it will come out in October. That list is usually accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out in November.

The movies that have been coming out lately suck. I can't wait for a decent film that's worth the ticket price.

MannyIsGod
10-08-2006, 02:05 AM
how awesome? Goodfellas awesome? or is it overhyped a little?The Departed > Goodfellas.

ATX Spur
10-08-2006, 02:13 AM
http://www.villagecines.com/Preview/Index.asp

check the list, the Departed is there, and it says it will come out in October. That list is usually accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out in November.

The movies that have been coming out lately suck. I can't wait for a decent film that's worth the ticket price.

That is awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll send you a PM if I hear anything else about the release date.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-08-2006, 02:19 AM
The Departed > Goodfellas.seriously?

CuckingFunt
10-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Has anyone else seen this? I saw it tonight and thought it was awesome.
The fact that I still haven't found time to see it is literally making me crazy.

MannyIsGod
10-08-2006, 03:02 AM
Seriously dude. It was off the charts. For me, it was Goodfella's meets Pulp Fiction.

Kori Ellis
10-08-2006, 03:34 AM
Seriously dude. It was off the charts. For me, it was Goodfella's meets Pulp Fiction.

We are probably going to see it on Monday.

Most people have said it's not as good as Goodfellas, but hopefully I'm like you and think it's better. I haven't seen a good movie in a while.

smeagol
10-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Goodfellows = Great Movie

Pulp Fiction = Not so great.

Similarly to Joe, I have to wait until the DVD comes out (or my kids grow up).

MaNuMaNiAc
10-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Goodfellows = Great Movie

Pulp Fiction = Not so great.

Similarly to Joe, I have to wait until the DVD comes out (or my kids grow up).
hmmm I think most people disagree with you on that

spurschick
10-08-2006, 08:20 AM
So it's Goodfellas good, but is it Scarface good?

MaNuMaNiAc
10-08-2006, 08:25 AM
So it's Goodfellas good, but is it Scarface good?"You wanna fuck with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!"

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif that line is the shit!

spurschick
10-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Don't get high on your own supply. :lol

Jimcs50
10-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Went to movies with my son last night, and he wanted to go see Employee of the Month instead. :depressed

It was funny, but not on this movies level by a wide margin.

Will see it this week though.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
10-08-2006, 10:13 AM
The Departed was great. Just saw it last night,will proabably see it again.

ShoogarBear
10-08-2006, 11:22 AM
:lol spurschick is the first woman I've ever seen say she liked Scarface.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-08-2006, 12:09 PM
:lol spurschick is the first woman I've ever seen say she liked Scarface.what?? naaah! you mean to tell me women don't respond to lines like "This is paradise, I'm tellin' ya. This town like a great big pussy just waiting to get fucked.", or "Look at that: a junkie... I got a junkie for a wife... Her womb is so polluted... I can't even have a fucking little baby with her!" http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

either way, I know plenty of women that like Scarface. I mean come on, with lines like "say hello to my little friend" and "Fuck Caspar Gomez! And fuck the fuckin' Diaz brothers! Fuck 'em all! I bury those cockroaches!". How can you not love that movie!

CuckingFunt
10-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I think I'd like Scarface a lot more if it weren't so damned overrated.

By the time I finally saw it, I was expecting some sort of religious experience, but didn't get it. Just got a typical over-the-top De Palma film and a performance from Al Pacino so heavy handed it's almost comical.

MannyIsGod
10-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I think I'd like Scarface a lot more if it weren't so damned overrated.

Exactly. I watched it for the first time a few years back, but it wasn't all that great. It was just good.

ididnotnothat
10-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Scarface is the shit but the younger generation doesn't always see it for the classic it is.

SA210
10-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Saw it last night. I'll give it 5 out of 5 :tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

I'm still thinking about this movie, but again, I'm a film guy. I'm gonna go out tonight with some other friends and family to watch it again. I really love it that much.

I can tell you right now, Leonardo Dicaprio will probably get nominated for Best Actor, and he should. I'll be rooting for that. His best work to date.:tu

Matt Damon and Jack played great roles as well.

Watching this film, it had Oscar written all over it.

I can see the nominations.

Best Actors or Supporting Actors:
Jack Nicholson (he's usually nominated)
Leonardo Dicaprio (awesome work, really),
Matt Damon

Best Screenplay (Adapted)

Best Film

Best Director (I'm hoping, finally this is Marty's year).

When the movie opened up, it had a "Goodfellas" feel, with a trucking shot going into a bar, playing the Rolling Stones.

I was pumped at that point, but then also the film went with a Pulp Fiction kinda storytelling that was very entertaining, I really don't want to give anything away, but it is nerve racking and I'm usually great at predicting what's gonna happen in a film, but this film had me guessing and wondering alot about what the hell was gonna happen.

The laughs are there, Mark Wahlberg was great, Alec Balwin was funny, Martin Sheen was good, and there is the blood and violence that you could expect from a Scorsese picture.

Looking forward to owning that DVD.

Go see it. :tu

Buddy Holly
10-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I watched a 8:10 showing last night at the Silverado.

Fantastic ending.

Marky Mark stole the scenes he was in. DiCap in probably his best acting performance to date.

The beginning kind of puzzled me because of the accents, I couldn't understand some things here and there but it got better.

That psychiatrist is hot.

TOP-CHERRY
10-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Mark Wahlberg was awesome. His character was so hostile. He kept me laughing.

Too many good quotes in this movie.

So yeah... great movie.

scott
10-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Great film. DiCaprio has truely blossomed into one of the top actors going right now. Scorsese really gets the best out of him (Gangs of New York, Aviator, and now The Departed are all great performances).

Three thumbs up! (or two if you don't live near a nuclear power plant)

Tony Soprano
10-10-2006, 11:21 AM
I give it tree tumbs up ova here... :tu :tu :tu

It's a great fuckin' movie,
All due respect.

This Scorsese fella, he's a made guy, ya undastand?
Great earner, if u axe me.

Don't fuck wit him or you'll be swimmin' wit the fishes.

Capice!?

The Departed (http://thedeparted.warnerbros.com/)

Fabbs
10-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Martin Scorseses "Gangs of New York" was absolute crap.

If any are not Jack Wrinkleson worshippers, i would like to see what you think of the combo in this movie. He was great as The Joker and Cuckoos Nest. The rest of his pretentious crap is suffocating.

And as a sex symbol, :lol :lol seek professional help if you find him as such is the advice of healthy well adjusted women who view Nicholson. "Repulsive" is the response of those whose self esteem is over 1%.

Can i hear from some non-worshippers if you liked The Departed?
*Yes I realize we all view movies in our own way.

DirkAB
10-10-2006, 02:57 PM
The Departed > Goodfellas.

I saw it and loved it, but to go as far as calling it better than Goodfellas after only seeing it once is going way overboard. This movie was really great, I'll even call it an "instant classic," but it isn't in the same ballpark as Goodfellas.

In fact, I don't know if I even thought it was as good as Gangs of New York, Raging Bull, or Casino, but it is definitely in the conversation. I would say that this may be his 2nd best movie ever, but no higher than that. As great as this movie was, it will never fuck with Goodfellas. I seriously doubt that Scorsese will ever top that effort, it really might be the best movie of my time.

Jack, DaCaprio, and Damon were all perfectly casted, they portrayed their characters in award winning fashion, IMO. I thought this movie had it all, a great drama with a little bit of humor sprinkled in. I thought that Baldwin and Wahlberg did a great job of bringing a little bit of comic relief, the driving range scene with Baldwin and Damon had me in stitches.

Without a doubt the best movie I've seen this year, or even in the last 2-3 years. This movie is a must see in the theatre, but I wouldn't expect it to be better than Goodfellas going in, with expectations that high you are only going to be disapointed.

MannyIsGod
10-10-2006, 04:36 PM
The Departed > Goodfellas. Raging Bull and Casino are DEFINETLY worse than this movie, and I liked both. I've not watched GoNY, so I'll withold judgement on that one.

Goodfellas was good, but I never considred it to be even near the greatest movie I've ever seen. I without a doubt liked The Departed more than Goodfellas, but thats simply my personal opinion.

As for best movie I've seen this year, I'm hesitant to give that title to The Departed. I think I still like V for Vendetta a tad bit more, but its really close. When I saw V, I didn't think I'd see another movie this year that came close.

Either way, great movie.

DirkAB
10-10-2006, 05:04 PM
The Departed > Goodfellas. Raging Bull and Casino are DEFINETLY worse than this movie, and I liked both. I've not watched GoNY, so I'll withold judgement on that one.

Goodfellas was good, but I never considred it to be even near the greatest movie I've ever seen. I without a doubt liked The Departed more than Goodfellas, but thats simply my personal opinion.

As for best movie I've seen this year, I'm hesitant to give that title to The Departed. I think I still like V for Vendetta a tad bit more, but its really close. When I saw V, I didn't think I'd see another movie this year that came close.

Either way, great movie.

It is hard for me to take somebody's opinion too seriously if they only consider Goodfellas a "good" movie. Calling Goodfellas merely "good" is the understatement of the year, maybe you need to watch it again.

I haven't seen V for Vendetta yet, it is close to the top of my queue, so I'll be able to comment pretty soon about that one. But I seriously doubt that it is as good as this one. I have lower expectations for that movie after Matrix 2 & 3, so if it is as great as you say it is then I'll love it. My enjoyment level of a movie the 1st time I see it is really dependent upon the expectations I have for it, it has really ruined some great movies for me the 1st time I've seen them.

MannyIsGod
10-10-2006, 05:11 PM
:lol @ its hard for you to take my opinion seriously.

Ok?

DirkAB
10-10-2006, 05:19 PM
:lol @ its hard for you to take my opinion seriously.

Ok?
:lol @ Goodfellas being just "good."

Ok?

Faccia di Angelo
10-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Saw it last night. I'll give it 5 out of 5 :tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

I'm still thinking about this movie, but again, I'm a film guy. I'm gonna go out tonight with some other friends and family to watch it again. I really love it that much.

I can tell you right now, Leonardo Dicaprio will probably get nominated for Best Actor, and he should. I'll be rooting for that. His best work to date.:tu

Matt Damon and Jack played great roles as well.

Watching this film, it had Oscar written all over it.

I can see the nominations.

Best Actors or Supporting Actors:
Jack Nicholson (he's usually nominated)
Leonardo Dicaprio (awesome work, really),
Matt Damon

Best Screenplay (Adapted)

Best Film

Best Director (I'm hoping, finally this is Marty's year).

When the movie opened up, it had a "Goodfellas" feel, with a trucking shot going into a bar, playing the Rolling Stones.

I was pumped at that point, but then also the film went with a Pulp Fiction kinda storytelling that was very entertaining, I really don't want to give anything away, but it is nerve racking and I'm usually great at predicting what's gonna happen in a film, but this film had me guessing and wondering alot about what the hell was gonna happen.

The laughs are there, Mark Wahlberg was great, Alec Balwin was funny, Martin Sheen was good, and there is the blood and violence that you could expect from a Scorsese picture.
Looking forward to owning that DVD.

Go see it. :tu
You summed up my feelings about this movie well in your post. I loved it as well and couldn't get it out of my head all night and into the next morning. I couldn't stomach the ending much tho. It drove me nuts. I just had all these emotions going thru me and it made me sad. (Thats the girly part in me lol) I want to talk about it but I know alot of people haven't seen it so I don't want to give anything away either. I did get confused at times tho cause of how it seemed to go back and forth, like flashbacks without any warning. But overall great movie. Dicaprio is freaking hot! The guy is an amazing actor. Wahlberg did an awesome job too. Definitely one of the best movies of the year.

DirkAB
10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
I've seen at least 2 comparisons to Pulp Fiction in this thread, I didn't see any similarities to it in the least. In what way was this movie at all like Pulp Fiction?

MannyIsGod
10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Eh, I'm not going to talk all that much about it becuase that induces spoilers and this thread isn't marked. The ending was very much a pulp fiction mood, however.

DirkAB
10-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Eh, I'm not going to talk all that much about it becuase that induces spoilers and this thread isn't marked. The ending was very much a pulp fiction mood, however.

Come on, you can explain it in general terms without spoiling anything.

Fabbs
10-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Put spoilers in dim grey.

leemajors
10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
i'm looking forward to eastwood's new movie more than this, but i wanna check both. my grandfather rarely spoke about iwo jima, he was in a coma for 6 months at pearl harbor after he threw his friend out of a foxhole with a mine in it.

pussyface
10-12-2006, 01:12 PM
my grandfather rarely spoke about iwo jima, he was in a coma for 6 months at pearl harbor after he threw his friend out of a foxhole with a mine in it.

what prompted this comment?
it belongs on the Who Gives A Shit Channel.

I'm pretty sure we were talking about The Departed, which is a worthy discussion in its own right, and not your Gramps and what a distinguished fellow he was, loser.

ShoogarBear
10-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Midol Forum.

leemajors
10-12-2006, 01:47 PM
what prompted this comment?
it belongs on the Who Gives A Shit Channel.

I'm pretty sure we were talking about The Departed, which is a worthy discussion in its own right, and not your Gramps and what a distinguished fellow he was, loser.

i'm pretty sure you weren't talking about shit, so shove it. another great post by pussyface.

ploto
10-12-2006, 04:42 PM
So tell me honestly-- is it too violent for me? I have a really hard time with movie violence. I will confess that I have not seen ANY of the movies referenced in this thread due to their violence, but this movie really intrigues me and I would like to see it.

MannyIsGod
10-12-2006, 05:04 PM
So tell me honestly-- is it too violent for me? I have a really hard time with movie violence. I will confess that I have not seen ANY of the movies referenced in this thread due to their violence, but this movie really intrigues me and I would like to see it.It is very violent.

Kori Ellis
10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
It's a very, very good movie. I loved it.

But I don't think it was better than Goodfellas (but close).

Kori Ellis
10-12-2006, 10:15 PM
So tell me honestly-- is it too violent for me? I have a really hard time with movie violence. I will confess that I have not seen ANY of the movies referenced in this thread due to their violence, but this movie really intrigues me and I would like to see it.

It's too violent for you.

ploto
10-12-2006, 11:13 PM
It is very violent.

It's too violent for you.
Thanks for the input.

Guess it's Open Season for me! :lol

timvp
10-13-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm not a fan of this genre of movie but I thought it was pretty good. I literally fell asleep during Godfather or Scarface or one of those so me staying awake was a good sign. :tu

MannyIsGod
10-13-2006, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the input.

Guess it's Open Season for me! :lolI want to see that in 3d at the IMAX! But our IMAX isn't showing it. Bastards.

Fabbs
10-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Infernal Affairs released in 2002 is the Hong Kong original that The Departed was based on before they Hollywooded it up (or rather down :rolleyes :spin )

A lot over at RottenTomatoes thought IA was much better then The Defarted.

So if you liked The Departed you might like Infernal Affairs even better. No Hollywood bois tho and I'm told it does not have the 300 foot wide plot holes.

Spoiler question below:
What was in the letter that Castigan (Leonardo) gave to Madalyn? Don't say the cd recordings of Sullivan (Matt Damon) selling out to Costello (Wrinkleson) because that was mailed to Sullivan. Leo handed the letter to Madalyn

katyon6th
10-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Defarted. hahahahahahahaha. I couldn't stop laughing when I read that. What can I say, I'm easily entertained.

tlongII
10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm not really into movies with english subtitles.

leemajors
10-13-2006, 02:00 PM
you can always turn them off.

tlongII
10-13-2006, 02:06 PM
you can always turn them off.

And listen to Chinese?

ShoogarBear
10-13-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm not really into movies that have ever been shown in a theater.

MannyIsGod
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
******SPOILER**********

Highlight below for your answer Fabbs.

Infernal Affairs released in 2002 is the Hong Kong original that The Departed was based on before they Hollywooded it up (or rather down :rolleyes :spin )

So if you liked The Departed you might like Infernal Affairs even better. No Hollywood bois tho and I'm told it does not have the 300 foot wide plot holes.

Spoiler question below:
What was in the letter that Castigan (Leonardo) gave to Madalyn? Don't say the cd recordings of Sullivan (Matt Damon) selling out to Costello (Wrinkleson) because that was mailed to Sullivan. Leo handed the letter to MadalynDude that was obviously the contact information for the sargent in case anything happend to him.

Jimcs50
10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Interesting facts:

Robert De Niro was set to play Frank Costello instead of Jack Nicholson, but his commitment to his directorial feature, The Good Shepherd forced him to drop out.

Also Leonardo DiCaprio was cast in the title role in The Good Shepherd, but he dropped out to play Billy Costigan in this movie.

Would the movie have been as good had these 2 changes not occured?

Silver21_Black20
10-18-2006, 04:57 PM
******SPOILER**********

Highlight below for your answer Fabbs.
Dude that was obviously the contact information for the sargent in case anything happend to him.

Ok...that's what I thought it was too.

SA210
10-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Interesting facts:

Robert De Niro was set to play Frank Costello instead of Jack Nicholson, but his commitment to his directorial feature, The Good Shepherd forced him to drop out.

Also Leonardo DiCaprio was cast in the title role in The Good Shepherd, but he dropped out to play Billy Costigan in this movie.

Would the movie have been as good had these 2 changes not occured?
Also, ironically, Matt Damon took on Leo's role in The Good Shepard. :lol

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/thegoodshepherd/large.html

DirkAB
10-22-2006, 01:25 AM
The Departed > Goodfellas.

Ummmmmmmmmm.....Just watched V for Vendetta, and......ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Holy piss was that disappointing, seriously lame. Had a few cool scenes and good ideas but that was totally overshadowed and surrounded by garbage acting, plot, and directing. The Wachowski brothers completely suck ass now as far as I'm concerned. After they totally ruined the first Matrix by hurrying the next two out to make money, this was their chance at redemption or to prove that they aren't one-hit wonders, and they have solidified themselves as jokes. How they ever made the first Matrix as good as it was is beyond me. What a terrible disappointment, I wish I had that 2 hours of my life back.

If you think that V for Vendetta is better than Departed, and Departed is better than Goodfellas you are living in bizaro-world. Better means worse or something.

MannyIsGod
10-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Ummmmmmmmmm.....Just watched V for Vendetta, and......ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Holy piss was that disappointing, seriously lame. Had a few cool scenes and good ideas but that was totally overshadowed and surrounded by garbage acting, plot, and directing. The Wachowski brothers completely suck ass now as far as I'm concerned. After they totally ruined the first Matrix by hurrying the next two out to make money, this was their chance at redemption or to prove that they aren't one-hit wonders, and they have solidified themselves as jokes. How they ever made the first Matrix as good as it was is beyond me. What a terrible disappointment, I wish I had that 2 hours of my life back.

If you think that V for Vendetta is better than Departed, and Departed is better than Goodfellas you are living in bizaro-world. Better means worse or something.:lol

I guess my movie taste just isn't up to par with you. Such a shame really, becuase it meant so much to me to live up to your expectations. I'll go cry myself to sleep now.

Jimcs50
10-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Went to see The Departed last night.

It was good, but not as good as The Godfather I or II (not even close) or Goodfellas, but I enjoyed it.

DiCaprio will be nominated for Best Actor and maybe even win, as I was very much impressed with his performance.

I did not like the ending either as the movie took on sort of a Quentin Tanantino-like essence, I think. Yes?

DirkAB
10-22-2006, 10:11 AM
:lol

I guess my movie taste just isn't up to par with you. Such a shame really, becuase it meant so much to me to live up to your expectations. I'll go cry myself to sleep now.

Why cry yourself to sleep and end your day with a frown when you could put V for Vendetta in the DVD player? The ridiculous plotline, hilariously bad dialog, and bad acting could put you to bed with a smile on your face.

Spurminator
10-22-2006, 10:23 AM
I thought the last 30 minutes were sloppy, but it was still a great movie.