PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Spurs' Tim Duncan

Kori Ellis
10-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Q&A with Spurs' Tim Duncan
Web Posted: 10/06/2006 09:11 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100706.01C.BKNspurs.duncan.2b7de26.html

After enduring the most frustrating season of his career, Tim Duncan is healthy again and optimistic he can help the Spurs make another run at a championship. Staff writer Johnny Ludden spoke with him during the team's training camp in France.

This is going to be your 10th season in the NBA. Does that sound weird? Has it gone by fast?

It's gone by incredibly fast. Too fast. Every time before the season, I talk to Malik (Rose) and Antonio (Daniels) and they both said the same thing: Can you imagine it's 10 years? For Malik, it's 11 years. We're the old guys now.

This is somewhat of an older team. Robert (Horry) has talked about how this might be his last season. Bruce (Bowen) is 35. Brent (Barry) and Michael (Finley) aren't far behind. Do you guys have a small window to contend for another championship?

I think we've got another couple years where we'll be good. Tony (Parker) is on his upswing. Manu (Ginobili) is on his upswing and has another couple good, solid years in him. Hopefully, I have a couple good, solid years in me. With the addition of Francisco (Elson) and, of course, Bruce is always going to be solid. So we've got another couple good years in us.

It was fairly early in the preseason last year when your right foot started hurting you. Now that you've gone through six, seven solid practices, are you having any problems?

Nope. Nope. It's always in the back of my mind, but no pain, so I'm good.

You mentioned, I think, late last season that even you wondered whether your best days were behind you. Did the way you played in the playoffs help your confidence?

Yeah. It helped a lot at the right time, right situation to play well. I hope the carryover will be there.

You really struggled with your bank shot last year. Was that a point of emphasis this summer?

Working on my shot was a point of emphasis in general. Whether that translates to the bank shot or whatever else, I just need to be able to rely on it a little more.

A lot of guys have complained about the new ball. Some have said it's too slick. Some people have complained it sort of sticks to the backboard on bank shots and comes off the rim differently. How do you like it?

I like it when you're shooting by yourself. But once you're involved in any kind of situation then when it gets wet, it gets slippery. It's definitely different.

I think you called last year's (Western Conference semifinals) series against Dallas one of the greatest series you've played in. Was it also your most painful loss? More painful than the .4 series against L.A. (in 2004)?

About as bad. It has more to do with the way we lost. I think we got beat badly. We had a bad beat. We had pocket aces and we ran into some (bleep) on the river. :lol

Kori Ellis
10-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Strong summer leaves Spurs' Duncan feeling good

Web Posted: 10/06/2006 09:11 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100706.03C.BKNspurs.duncan.pop.2b7de99.html

PARIS — After spending much of last season worrying about Tim Duncan's health, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likes how the two-time MVP looks now.

"This was one of Timmy's best summers," Popovich said. "He's probably in the best shape he's been in since his first two years in the league. He came to work about a month and a half ago and has been working on the track and on the hill, in the weight room.

"He really took it hard last year, not winning the whole thing when we had an opportunity to do that. So he's doing everything he can to be his best."

Duncan slimmed down last season, but actually added a few more pounds of muscle in his legs and core this summer.

"I put on a little weight," Duncan said. "But I was really light last year. I worked out more because I had more time. It was a situation where we weren't in the (NBA) Finals or deep in the playoffs. I wasn't playing for USA Basketball.

"I had a very good workout summer."

Duncan averaged a career-low 18.6 points last season, in part, because of his sore right foot, but also because Tony Parker assumed more of the scoring responsibility. While Duncan said the Spurs are going to continue to "move the ball as much as possible," Popovich expects him to be more assertive this season.

"He'll have the same responsibilities he's always had," Popovich said. "I think he's just going to be more aggressive, more demonstrative offensively than he has been and not depend on others so much.

"I think he's going to be putting a lot more on himself."

timvp
10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah Dirk called with a Q9os and hit trip queens on the river.

:pctoss

angel_luv
10-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Timmy's tenth season in the NBA- wow time has flown!

Nice article. Thanks Kori. :)

Fabbs
10-07-2006, 12:13 AM
This new ball sounds like a bunch of crap.
Anyone had a chance to hoop with it?

milkyway21
10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
two good articles on Timmy. Now there's no need for you to complain or ask silly questions Chow :lol

dbreiden83080
10-07-2006, 02:14 AM
I am feeling a healthy and a BIG season for Timmy he is going to be the MVP this year!!

td4mvp21
10-07-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm still not sure whether Duncan's going to get a lot of shots. Pop seems to like to let the guards shoot all the shots until the fourth and then try to shove it down to Duncan with 4-down after Duncan has no rhythm.

remingtonbo2001
10-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Tim could win MVP. His talent is far superior to any foward/player in the league at this moment. I would go as far to say, Tim has the highest BASKETBALL IQ within recent history. The difference between players such as JORDAN, or KOBE, SHAQ, is there desire to be the greatest. I have a feeling Tim could care less about being the greatest. It's comforting to some degree, but as a fan you want to see your players achieve their maximum potential. TIM has not even come close to reaching his maximum potential. I'm not sure if he ever will, because to him basketball is not life, just a game, JUST AS IT SHOULD BE.

Old School Chic
10-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Good friends till the end! :spin

It's gone by incredibly fast. Too fast. Every time before the season, I talk to Malik (Rose) and Antonio (Daniels) and they both said the same thing: Can you imagine it's 10 years? For Malik, it's 11 years. We're the old guys now.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Ah it's good hearing from Tim.