PDA

View Full Version : PETA likes "cruelty-free" ball - insider request

T-Pain
10-07-2006, 12:01 AM
hey im interested in what PETA has to say about the new balls, anyone have ESPN insider?

leemajors
10-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Another day, another possible explanation why the NBA has abandoned its trusty leather basketball when there was absolutely zero clamor to change it.

Make that zero clamor in hoop circles.

The folks at PETA -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals -- apparently feel they played a significant role in the league's decision to switch to a microfiber composite ball after decades of leather bliss. Listed in the top spot on PETA's "Major Victory Timeline" is this headline: "NBA Loses the Leather."

Click on the link and you can read the following account from the largest animal-rights organization world: "In January 2006, PETA contacted the National Basketball Association (NBA) and requested that it switch from leather basketballs to cruelty-free synthetic balls, like those already in use in the National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Women's National Basketball Association. Along with the request, PETA sent information on how the leather industry tortures and kills millions of cows, including the fact that it takes the skin of an entire cow to make just four basketballs. The report also detailed how leather production destroys the environment and endangers human health through the use of toxic chemicals. In June 2006, the NBA announced that it would switch to synthetic basketballs beginning with its 2006/2007 season."

So . . .

Did PETA really play a part here?

It's no great surprise that they're taking credit, because these folks have been complaining for years, but I'm struggling to imagine David Stern sanctioning a switch of this magnitude because of some PETA barking.

"PETA had nothing to do with the changing of the ball," said NBA vice president of marketing communications Mike Bass. "It's a better ball with a better grip and feel and more consistency from ball-to-ball. That's the reason for the change."

T-Pain
10-07-2006, 10:18 PM
thanks lee

v2freak
10-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Even if PETA had nothing to do with it, they should rejoice. They got what they wanted. I had no idea, and was pretty disinterested on the whole subject. Now I whole-heartedly advocate this new ball.

waterbottle2000
10-08-2006, 11:18 AM
wtf, i always thought they used synthetic leather

cornbread
10-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Who cares what PETA thinks? They're a bunch of hypocrites and terrorists.
They're against ALL testing of drugs on animals yet their outspoken Vice President takes insulin injections (treatment developed through animal testing) twice per day for her diabetes.
It doesn't suprise me that they would try and take credit for this. Who could take them seriously anyways? One of their most respected spokes people is Pamela Anderson.
They'll probably also take credit when rebounds go up this season due to more missed shots.

Clandestino
10-08-2006, 05:26 PM
yeah, fuck peta... i went to a friends college graduation and the valedictorian gave her speech.. bitch turned out to be a peta person and talked about bullshit her whole time up there.. what a way to ruin peoples haveing graduation..

Pistons < Spurs
10-08-2006, 07:03 PM
To HELL with PETA

Trainwreck2100
10-09-2006, 12:29 PM
PETA's fucking stupid

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Meat is NOT murder,
meat is DINNER!

leemajors
10-09-2006, 03:10 PM
my gf's parents got me an apron that says:
"There's room for all God's little creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes."

cornbread
10-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Meat is NOT murder,
meat is DINNER!

That's what I'm talking about! If somebody tries to take my bar-b-que away from me there's going to be a problem! :madrun

The worst is how they try to indoctrinate kids. They have an easy enough time indoctrinating feeble-minded adults but kids should be off limits. I read on the PETAkids website where they tell kids to protest dissections in school. One of their reasons was that Jeffrey Dahmer enjoyed dissections and look how he turned out. Well PETA, how do you explain the others that found dissections interesting yet never turned into serial killers? As an educated adult it's easy for me to understand that their logic is flawed but they easily sell that crap to kids.

If you can't tell already, I don't like PETA.

resistanze
10-09-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/bigpot6.jpg (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sponsor)