PDA

View Full Version : No More Whining

Kori Ellis
10-07-2006, 03:35 PM
I have heard several times now that there's a new rule this year in the NBA that players can't complain/whine/bitch about calls. The rule supposedly is that you can ask a question about the call politely, but you can only do so as you are running back on D. You can't ask any other time and you can't complain, yell or criticize the call at any time.

Any questions other than while you are running back on D or any bitching/complaining/yelling etc about a call will result in an automatic T.

I can't find it in writing anywhere. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It was stressed very heavily in NY at the Rookie Orientation and several teams are stressing it in camp.

So, do you think a rule that's so vague is going to cause problems?

How many T's do you think the Spurs will get? (They complain a lot!) :spin

gospursgojas
10-07-2006, 03:37 PM
They do whine a whole bunch, but I don't see it being a problem.

They will learn not too

jn77
10-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I haven't seen anything on it in writing either, but I am sure however many T's the Spurs get the Mavs and Cuban will double it!

thispego
10-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Duncans gonna get ejected 3 times a week

Bruno
10-07-2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spheat07oct07,0,7626346.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Is it that ?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Rasheed is gonna make a record.

Kori Ellis
10-07-2006, 03:48 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spheat07oct07,0,7626346.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Is it that ?

Yes, that sounds like it.

I found this too.

Along with the ground rules Sonics coach Bob Hill instructed the officials to follow, they were also testing out the new league rule intended to curb player grumbling about calls — something Fortson has been guilty of many times in his nine-year NBA career. He had seven technical fouls and two suspensions last season.

According to Hill, the rule stipulates players can speak with officials about questionable calls while running back to play defense — any other time will result in a technical.

koopa
10-07-2006, 04:19 PM
good, i'm glad they are gonna start ting ppl up for that shit, it pisses me off when tim stays behind just to cry, it hurts the team by staying back and acting like a bitch...just suck it up and go kill the player you thought fouled you lol

Slomo
10-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Will it apply also to other people beside the players, like say the owner? :devil

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 04:26 PM
good, i'm glad they are gonna start ting ppl up for that shit, it pisses me off when tim stays behind just to cry, it hurts the team by staying back and acting like a bitch...just suck it up and go kill the player you thought fouled you lol
+1. The whining is embarassing. It'll be nice to see Timmy shut up and play again.

td4mvp21
10-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Will it apply also to other people beside the players, like say the owner? :devil

That's what I'm wondering.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 05:08 PM
That's what I'm wondering.
If he's sitting behind the bench, I guarantee you he will get a tech. I wonder if he gets ejected after the second one? It'll be interesting to see how AJ deals with that.

spurschick
10-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I can't find it in writing anywhere. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I haven't read much about it, but I've heard them talk about it during the Europe telecasts. From the Spurs, I think that Manu complains the most. The rest of the guys flash looks at the refs, but Manu seems to be the most vocal. Therefore... shut your ass up and get back on D!

shelshor
10-07-2006, 05:38 PM
We can only hope

T Park
10-07-2006, 05:39 PM
This will be impossible to enforce.

Every player, on every team whines.

Aint no way. Unless theres gonna be a shit load of Technicals called.

willie
10-07-2006, 05:44 PM
spurs are fucked

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 06:10 PM

Every player, on every team whines.

Aint no way. Unless theres gonna be a shit load of Technicals called.
There will be a shitload of technicals called the first five minutes of every opening preseason game and then the players will figure it out.

T Park
10-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Its way too engrained into the players and its gone on way too long.

I agree that its great, but theres no way they can enforce it.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2006, 06:24 PM

I have no doubt that they CAN enforce it, my only doubt is that they have the will to enforce it. Fortunately they have the preseason to crack down. If they don't I think you are probably right and they won't be able to do anything. I have my doubts that the league will back an official who ejects Duncan or Nowitzki in the first quarter of a regular season game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-07-2006, 06:30 PM

Right, I mean it's not like they can't blow the whistle and......... give the guy a technical.

Damn you're smart Tfart.

As an aside, this is going to be hilarious. The entire Mavs roster will be ejected by the end of the first quarter for at least half their games :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Right, I mean it's not like they can't blow the whistle and......... give the guy a technical.

Damn you're smart Tfart.

As an aside, this is going to be hilarious. The entire Mavs roster will be ejected by the end of the first quarter for at least half their games :lol

You should really leave Eric alone, AHF. Why are you trying to be part of "the cool kids"?

Solid D
10-07-2006, 06:55 PM
What if the player whines in German?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-07-2006, 07:15 PM
What if the player whines in German?

Mein Teknikal!

TDMVPDPOY
10-07-2006, 07:19 PM
it was also reported on realgm.........looks like spurs players better stfu and play :D

missmyzte
10-07-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm sure the coaches are gonna love this, instead of getting back on D the player hangs behind to protest a call and then misses the play.

smeagol
10-07-2006, 07:52 PM

It's like when soccer players fake an injury.

Kori Ellis
10-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm sure the coaches are gonna love this, instead of getting back on D the player hangs behind to protest a call and then misses the play.

They can't hang back and protest a play. They have to be running back on D and be in the flow of the game and they can ask a question. There is to be no hanging back, that's part of the point. They can't hang back to complain or whatever.

TDMVPDPOY
10-07-2006, 07:54 PM

or pull a malik job, jumper of head...missin a play

angel_luv
10-07-2006, 08:16 PM
They can't hang back and protest a play. They have to be running back on D and be in the flow of the game and they can ask a question. There is to be no hanging back, that's part of the point. They can't hang back to complain or whatever.

So pretty much the league/ refs want no questions asked?

boutons_
10-07-2006, 08:42 PM
"want no questions asked?"

Exactly, because no matter what question is asked, the ref's answer is always NO.

So why all the melo-drama and whining and anger, if the calls aren't overturned?

"Working the refs" is a meta-game, and Stern wants them to just play the game.

The whining is the players refusing to admit, in their overpaid hubris, that they can do no wrong. Tim is one of the worst, 9 of 10 is fouls are fouls, according to Tim.

Kori Ellis
10-07-2006, 08:44 PM
So pretty much the league/ refs want no questions asked?

No. They want no whining, complaining, bitching, exagerrating, throwing the ball, your hands up in the air, cussing etc. You are allowed to ask a question why something was called courteously.

When the rookies went to NY for orientation they had a big seminar on it, conducted by officials. Also some teams are having former refs come in and ref their scrimmages just to get all the players on the same page.

angel_luv
10-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks for clarifying. :)
I was confused about the part where questions need to be asked when running back on D and in the flow of the game.
Those circumstances just didn't sound condusive for question asking.

I am interested to see the new rule in effect and how it all works.

Kori Ellis
10-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for clarifying. :)
I was confused about the part where questions need to be asked when running back on D and in the flow of the game.
Those circumstances just didn't sound condusive for question asking.

I am interested to see the new rule in effect and how it all works.

Well normally players are yelling at the refs bitching while running back on D, so I guess it will be the same thing but they have to ask politely.

mavsfan1000
10-07-2006, 09:00 PM
What will Duncan do? Lol

angel_luv
10-07-2006, 09:00 PM
:lol

ploto
10-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I just hope it increases the pace of the game. Every dead ball some player is whining about something to the ref and it slows the games down too much.

dirk4mvp
10-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Yippe. Now they can shut up and play.

LilMissSPURfect
10-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Duncans gonna get ejected 3 times a week
how bout letting ONLY MVPs whine?

JamStone
10-08-2006, 11:58 PM
This just in ...

Upon hearing the new rule, Rasheed Wallace, Ricky Davis, Steve Francis, Tim Duncan, Kenyon Martin, Sam Cassell, and Jermaine O'Neal (among other players) all quit playing basketball.

Bob Lanier
10-09-2006, 12:07 AM
I'm feeling better and better about having abandoned the NBA.

David Stern wants a stylish, profit-maximised kabuki spectacle, and he wants his servants in that task to be compliant and mediagenic. Understandable maybe, but definitely disgusting.

picnroll
10-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Funny. Stern got on Joey Crawford's case, even called him in and chastised him for the way he refed. Now he wants everybody to ref like Crawford. No problem with me. I like Crawford's no BS style. Spurs and Duncan will adjust. Dumber teams, which is just about everyone else, won't.

spurs=bling
10-09-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm feeling better and better about having abandoned the NBA.

David Stern wants a stylish, profit-maximised kabuki spectacle, and he wants his servants in that task to be compliant and mediagenic. Understandable maybe, but definitely disgusting.
okay.......

remingtonbo2001
10-09-2006, 02:47 AM
When Timmy stops getting poked in the EYE every other night, then I would consider adhearing to such a rule. Yeah, Tim complains, but SERIOUSLY, if you got poked in the EYE every night, wouldn't you be pissed. It's gotta get old after awhile...It's not that I would like to see Timmy score from the line, I WANT PLAYERS TO STOP POKING OUR STAR ATHLETE IN THE EYE. Maybe if the OFFICIALS would listen on occassion, this wouldn't be an issue.

P.S. FOR THOSE EYE POKERS.....STOP POKING TIM IN THE EYE....IT'S ANNOYING

polandprzem
10-09-2006, 04:31 AM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8572/61455kt4.jpg

spurster
10-09-2006, 08:24 AM
How are you supposed to have a conversation running back on defense?

Dave McNulla
10-09-2006, 09:06 AM
it's easy to enforce. they call technicals until players shut up and stop complaining.

easjer
10-09-2006, 11:12 AM
What about calls where play stops? For instance, a foul resulting in free throws, or an out of bounds ball? There is no running back on D then. What is politely asking a question? Is "Are you blind, sir?" a polite question?

I do think this has a lot of potential to be mismanaged (as it seems now there is just too much room for individual preferences), or it might just cut down on the whining. I expect that it'll only end the most egregious displays. Otherwise, it'll be drama, with a ref arguing that a player took a tone with him or asked a sarcastic question or was impolite, while a player argues back.

I think if they have better definition of polite questions and no whining out there, then it's a good thing.

Rynospursfan
10-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Its about time they crack down on this crap. Hopefully this cleans up the NBA quite a bit.

mavsfan1000
10-09-2006, 02:45 PM
All I can say is FUCK STERN!

Sportcamper
10-09-2006, 02:50 PM
This is the greatest news I have heard regarding the NBA rules...Considering that every team is full of incessant whiners we may actually see a game where the only players left on the court are Mark Madsen & Shaquille O’Neal.....

101A
10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
NOW, the refs have an even more powerfull, momentum shifting weapon. NO-CALL an obvious hack, the player reacts, you "T" him up with a quick whistle. Potential 3 point swing right there.

Spurminator
10-09-2006, 03:31 PM
It will be easy to inforce this rule... It will be the same as every other call NBA Officials make during a game:

Arbitrary.

sa_butta
10-12-2006, 06:15 PM
With this new rule who will be the first to get a one game suspension?
and who will have the most T's by seasons end?

GrandeDavid
10-12-2006, 07:21 PM
The Spurs don't seem to complain more than any other team. In fact, I'd assume they complain less than most teams.

Ignorant Spurs fan
10-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Spurs probably complain the least among most teams. Mavs are screwed. they need to actually learn to play basketball now :lol

ShoogarBear
10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Spurs whine big time, especially over the last two years. But the rule has the potential to be bullshit if it's just called arbitrarily. Hopefully the players will just STFU and leave the whining where it belongs, with the owners and their blogs.

carib
10-12-2006, 08:22 PM
When you play ball you get emotional and speak you mind some times you are out there being aggressive and fighting to win. There will be times when you think a call should have gone your way, and you say what’s up to the Ref, he can tune you out and move on, but now it is a policy.

The refs will not see every call so now No Blood No Foul

ambchang
10-12-2006, 08:31 PM
You can only complain while running back on D? Is this some sort of inventive ways for the NBA to increase scoring? Now players can only "whine" going back on D, so they are going to whine more while running back on D, which translates to missed defensive assignments, which leads to 5 on 4 breaks, which leads to easy scores! Of course, this will eventually leads to strokes for defensive coaches, so after all of those died (Pop, AJ, Riley, Jackson), they are only left with crap coaches, and the NBA will turn into an And1 tour!

Obstructed_View
10-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Go back and watch the 1999 and 2003 playoffs. The Spurs didn't whine at all. Duncan never made gestures or "what me?" faces. He'll learn to shut up and knock it off or he'll earn his first career ejection.

WalterBenitez
10-13-2006, 06:43 PM
At this point,

Stern is thinking on banning these smiles:nope

:frying: :nutkick: :pctoss :ihit :cuss

Kori Ellis
10-13-2006, 06:47 PM
You can only complain while running back on D? Is this some sort of inventive ways for the NBA to increase scoring? Now players can only "whine" going back on D, so they are going to whine more while running back on D, which translates to missed defensive assignments, which leads to 5 on 4 breaks, which leads to easy scores! Of course, this will eventually leads to strokes for defensive coaches, so after all of those died (Pop, AJ, Riley, Jackson), they are only left with crap coaches, and the NBA will turn into an And1 tour!

They can't whine while running back on D. They can ask a question politely about a call. :lol They can't whine or bitch anytime.

I wonder how strict they are going to be. I wonder if throwing your hands up is going to be automatic. If so, look for Tim, Manu, Bruce and Tony to get T's pretty regularly til they adjust.