PDA

View Full Version : Maccabi vs Spurs Preview

Kori Ellis
10-07-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/1388/180/the-buzz-maccabi-elite-vs-san-antonio-spurs

Maccabi Elite vs. San Antonio Spurs

Everything is ready for a big showdown at the Palais Onmisports of Paris-Bercy between Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv and the San Antonio Spurs. The French capital is already mobbed by Maccabi fans, but the atmopshere is way different from a Euroleague Final Four. The weather is not good in rainy Paris, and the atmosphere is much more relaxed in the Maccabi headquarters. Beating a NBA team is something unique for any European team, but Maccabi Elite has been there several times, from its first win against the Washington Bullets back in 1978, to its last in Toronto last autumn against the Raptors.

"It's always a challenge to play against NBA teams, but we showed last year that we can give them a fight and also win," Maccabi center Nikola Vujcic said after a Thursday friendly game in which his team thrashed Climamio 93-67 behind 22 points from newcomer Simas Jasaitis. "The fact they come and play here their pre-season game shows how much progress European basketball has made. It makes no difference to me who I'm playing against. In Maccabi you learn that every game is important. It's a good practice for us."

Unfortunately, Maccabi could not practice as planned on Friday night at Bercy, because when the team arrived to the arena with its sizable media corps in tow, there were no basketballs to be found anywhere.

Vujcic, an All-Euroleague first team selection last season, is as motivated as Yotam Halperin, who comes off a great season with Union Olimpija and turned down NBA offers to return to Maccabi.

"I wasn't with Maccabi on the team that beat the Raptors last year, so now is a chance for me to join the long list of Maccabi players that beat an NBA team, and I'm really excited about the opportunity," Halperin said. "I had a chance to play for an NBA team this season, but I chose to stay with the team I grew up in and I love so much. We will come focused and hope to get better and better until the first tip off in the Euroleague, because this is basically the reason for these pre-season games - to make the team play better in the real games."

Those Maccabi fans who are expected to see a familiar face in the opponent team will be disappointed, since Beno Udrih is out due to a armstring injury. Udrih played for Maccabi in the 2002-03 season.

"I wish I could play against my former team, Maccabi Tel Aviv, but I didn't recover in time. I know Maccabi fans, so I can guess what we will expect," Udrih said. "Everybody thinks this is a friendly game, but it is not like that for any of us. We are getting ready for the season, trying to get our confidence back and Maccabi wants the same."

Maccabi's new head coach Neven Spahija said the game is special to him for a couple of reasons.

"It is the first time I coach against a NBA team, and the game is against the San Antonio Spurs, which is a team I am in very good relationship with," Spahija said. "I was assistant coach in their summer league team, so playing against them is special. They know me very well, and I know them."

He and Maccabi will not any friends when they get to the court, in which hundreds of Yellow fans will be ready to take their team higher, just as usual. Maccabi won the SuproLeague title in 2001 at the OmniSports and even a newcomer like Lior Eliyahu recalls that win.

"I know this arena means something very special for this club, because in 2001 Maccabi won the Suproleague here," Eliyahu said. "I hope against the Spurs I'll be able to help the team to add one more great victory to the list."

Only three players stay in the team for that winning squad - injured guard Tal Burstein, little-used Regev Fanan and the everlasting Derrick Sharp.

"We already played against NBA clubs last year, so for many guys this isn't a new experience, but it's always exciting to play games at such a level," forward Sharon Shason said. "I hope we'll have many fans here who will push us, and make it feel like home."

With a big group of Maccabi fans in the standings, that's guaranteed.

spurschick
10-07-2006, 05:27 PM
This is going to be awesome. The Sunday paper, a big bowl of cereal, basketball... heaven.

diego
10-07-2006, 05:27 PM
with philly and now the clips losing its officially open season on NBA teams in europe. sounds like these guys want to win badly. I hope we wipe the floor with them!

T Park
10-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't suprise me in the least if the Spurs lost this game.

WalterBenitez
10-07-2006, 06:58 PM
No vb$, I need to restore my savings ... for the record I think Macabbi will be a hard nose team against us.

SilverPlayer
10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
I think Europe might be in for a big suprise when they actually have to play a real American team that actually plays like a team.

phyzik
10-07-2006, 07:51 PM
I think Europe might be in for a big suprise when they actually have to play a real American team that actually plays like a team.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the part about how they gave an NBA team a fight and can win..... There's a world of difference between the Raptors and the Spurs, totally different ends of the NBA elite spectrum.

Having said that, its still quite possible for the Spurs to lose this one being only their second pre-season game as well as Maccabi being a pretty elite team.... I just dont think its as big of a chance for them (Maccabi) to win as people make it out to be.

TDMVPDPOY
10-07-2006, 07:57 PM
boastin a win over the lame raptors last season? the same fuckn team that let KIRBY go of for 50+ pts? give me a break, even a college team will beat the raptors.

Bruno
10-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Manu has an elbow injury and won't likely play the game agaisnt Maccabi. :depressed

TMTTRIO
10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Manu has an elbow injury and won't likely play the game agaisnt Maccabi.
actually it's his back and Manu says he's fine and ready to play even though Pop probably won't let him play. I just hate already hearing how it's starting out for him. Hopefully this won't be a long term thing.

ashbeeigh
10-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Those Maccabi fans who are expected to see a familiar face in the opponent team will be disappointed, since Beno Udrih is out due to a armstring injury. Udrih played for Maccabi in the 2002-03 season.

"I wish I could play against my former team, Maccabi Tel Aviv, but I didn't recover in time. I know Maccabi fans, so I can guess what we will expect," Udrih said. "Everybody thinks this is a friendly game, but it is not like that for any of us. We are getting ready for the season, trying to get our confidence back and Maccabi wants the same."

I get back from my trip and that's the first thing I read. :madrun

ploto
10-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Maccabi lost some players so I don't think they will be as good as they have been. Anthony Parker went to the Raptors. :)

phyzik
10-07-2006, 11:48 PM
on a side note, its going to be interesting how/if this affects the way the US goes about representing ourselves in the Olympics and the WC's. Not necessarilly sending over an NBA team, but what about a college team thats been together for a while? It would be nice to see some of our younger people getting a chance to represent our country through Basketball instead of the multi-millionares who are afraid to get hurt, besides the fact of not playing with eachother as a single-minded unit.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Will this game be televised or have a live web cast?

ATX Spur
10-08-2006, 12:05 AM
on a side note, its going to be interesting how/if this affects the way the US goes about representing ourselves in the Olympics and the WC's. Not necessarilly sending over an NBA team, but what about a college team thats been together for a while? It would be nice to see some of our younger people getting a chance to represent our country through Basketball instead of the multi-millionares who are afraid to get hurt, besides the fact of not playing with eachother as a single-minded unit.

College teams would get eaten alive by the international heavies. I think the NBA has already made its bed on this. They're trying to market their product to the rest of the world. If they pull out now before USA basketball hits its stride, it will say volumes. For better or worse, they're stuck in international competition for a long while.

orhe
10-08-2006, 12:13 AM
what time is this on?

SequSpur
10-08-2006, 12:45 AM
What Time Is The Got Damn Game On? Also What Channel?

SequSpur
10-08-2006, 12:51 AM
9 am cst

KEDA
10-08-2006, 07:52 AM
I have to go to work now, Thomas is sick :pctoss :pctoss

oh well, thats what DVR is for

and the game starts at 9am on NBATV

Kibic
10-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Ignorant opinion. Olimpics or WC are great competitions. It would realy be unfair from USA to send a team that could not reach a half of oponents point margin.

Spurs should win this one. Maccabi has lost half of their last years team. It's like Spurs have lost Timi and Manu.