PDA

View Full Version : A new list

smeagol
10-07-2006, 09:13 PM
How about the Democrat and left-wing posters come up with a list of reasons why the democrats should win back power. The caveat is that the list should only include Democratic "positives" and not one single Republican "negative" (i.e., avoid the "Democrats should be in power because the Republicans went to war with Iraq based on bogus premisses", a valid reason and a true statement, by the way, but not what I'm looking for in this list).

I'm sure you guys will struggle to come up with as little as 15 reasons.

PixelPusher
10-07-2006, 09:29 PM
The caveat is that the list should only include Democratic "positives" and not one single Republican "negative"

Interesting caveat - essentially Democrats can't take credit for not being Republicans (i.e. not seeking to dismantle social security, not selling out the environment for corporate interests, not pandering to fundamentalist theocrats, etc.). But your caveat aside, I'll start out the list:

1. A Democratic majority in congress would put a sorely needed check on the Bush administration.

Oh, Gee!!
10-08-2006, 12:01 AM
2. Individual rights would remain individual

Guru of Nothing
10-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Heterosexual blow jobs.

Oh, Gee!!
10-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Heterosexual blow jobs.

oh, snap!

Guru of Nothing
10-08-2006, 12:20 AM
How about the Democrat and left-wing posters come up with a list of reasons why the democrats should win back power. The caveat is that the list should only include Democratic "positives" and not one single Republican "negative" (i.e., avoid the "Democrats should be in power because the Republicans went to war with Iraq based on bogus premisses", a valid reason and a true statement, by the way, but not what I'm looking for in this list).

I'm sure you guys will struggle to come up with as little as 15 reasons.

Smeagol, why don't you start a list of reasons why we should kick the republicans AND the democrats to the curb.

If you can't provide 15 reasons, then you are part of the problem.

Nbadan
10-08-2006, 12:37 AM
3. A 'scandal' during Democratic rule days was when a Congress-person or Senator abused stamp priveledges to scrap together enough cab and dinner money.

Guru of Nothing
10-08-2006, 12:45 AM
3. A 'scandal' during Democratic rule days was when a Congress-person or Senator abused stamp priveledges to scrap together enough cab and dinner money.

....franking privileges. ^^^^^

Facts are fuzzy, so I must ask, was Rostenkowski a crook?

One word answer only, please.

Nbadan
10-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Rostenkowski's downfall mirrored that of the Democratic Party in the House, but seriously, if Rostenkowski had been a Republican he would have had lobbist pay for his lavish life-style rather than risk filing false expense reports and selling official WH stamps. This was nickle and penny crap compared to today, just look at our Republican TX Jr. senator's bachelor pad in Austin which just had $20,000 in major renovation all paid for by lobbists. Now that should be criminal.

Zunni
10-08-2006, 01:11 AM
That's more than one word.

Nbadan
10-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Yes, he plead guilty to mail-fraud, but you can bet they had the goods on him for other stuff too.

smeagol
10-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Smeagol, why don't you start a list of reasons why we should kick the republicans AND the democrats to the curb.

If you can't provide 15 reasons, then you are part of the problem.
I'm simply an Argentine living in the US. I'm not a citizen, therefore I don't vote.

Nevertheless, I fee more than two political alternatives should be healthy for Americans to have.

clambake
10-08-2006, 10:57 AM
To open the channels of discussion with other world leaders.

Trying to get by on threats doesn't work.

Clandestino
10-08-2006, 10:58 AM
pretty short thread...

smeagol
10-08-2006, 07:36 PM
pretty short thread...
As I predicted . . .

ChumpDumper
10-08-2006, 07:39 PM
If there was a coherent national strategy for, well, anything from the Democrats it would be easier. That they might be able to take over one or both houses without one says alot about the state of politics these days.

smeagol
10-08-2006, 07:43 PM
If there was a coherent national strategy for, well, anything from the Democrats it would be easier.

True

That they might be able to take over one or both houses without one says alot about the state of politics these days.

True, in a scary kind of way.

jochhejaam
10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
If there was a coherent national strategy for, well, anything from the Democrats it would be easier. That they might be able to take over one or both houses without one says alot about the state of politics these days.
Can't argue with that.

Nbadan
10-08-2006, 08:54 PM
4. Call it pay as you go politics, but Democratic Presidents don't run up huge deficits. In fact, all Democratic administrations combined probably added 1/8th the amount to the total deficit than their supposedly conservative counter-part,s although both parties worked with friendly and non-friendly Congresses.

Nbadan
10-08-2006, 09:01 PM
5. Democrats win wars. Republicans just announce press releases saying they've won and hang banners.

Nbadan
10-08-2006, 09:03 PM
6. Democrats care about the little guy. They don't let the industry they are regulating write their own regulations.

whottt
10-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Smeagol...you notice it's impossible for them to do? They bitch is what they do. And some how they keep thinking that if they are obnoxious beyond tolerance, spew nothing but negative bile, and keep screaming you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong, hysterically, it's going to get people to see their point of view...doesn't work, never works. It's what I do when I am trying to piss someone off, not win an argument or convince someone of my POV...libs think it's intelligent discourse and a way back to power...

BTW, you know what happens when you have a shitload of parties?

It allows for radical shifts in political direction and usually creates a clusterfuck in which a majority of the poulation comes away extremely unhappy.

Example...in one election you could have an extreme right winger like Galtieri take power...then boom, 20 years later you could have an extreme pinko like Kirchner...Check the radical shifts of Spain, Italy and France for a better example of this...

Instead of it taking 40% of the country to elect someone, some idiot extremist can take power by getting 20% of the vote.

No thanks...

I'll keep my moderate two parties and hope for intelligent candidates with the balls to do what is necessary.

I like my country just fine the way it is, I'd rather live here than anwhere else and I don't think my country is broken, we're just a bunch of spoiled bitches very few of us who actually deserve the privlege of being born here...and there's certainly not anyone forcing us to live here...

I think most of the rest of the world is what's fucked up, very few know what the fuck they are talking about and freedom of the press is an absolute myth in much of the world, even the Western part.

SA210
10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
7. Would start the impeachment process. That is a positive. :tu

clambake
10-09-2006, 12:30 AM
We don't own the world, Whott.

We share it.

101A
10-09-2006, 11:02 AM
We don't own the world, Whott.

We share it.

Please explain this post.

JoeChalupa
10-09-2006, 11:21 AM
1. Follow the recommendations of the 9/11 commission and DO it.
2. Get this outrageous spending under control.
3. Protect the civil liberties of all citizens.
4. Get the job done in Iraq and get and tell the truth.
5. Power to the people and not special interest groups.
6. End the corruption in congress.
7. Make "No Child Left Behind" a reality and not just a campaign slogan.
8. Look at all options before committing to a war under false pretenses.
9. "Stay the Course" is not always the best option.
10. Protect our environment and not big business.
11. Actually protect our borders and not just sign some bill that does nothing.

Okay, gotta get back to work. I'll continue my bitching later.

JoeChalupa
10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Also the fact that Jack Abramoff, Bob Ney, Tom DeLay, Duke Cunningham and Mark Foley have disgraced the republican party is another reason why the power the republican party has had has gone to their heads and it is time to clean House and Senate.

Are Democrats perfect? Hell NO but the continuous scandals have even GOP members demanding dramatic changes.

JoeChalupa
10-09-2006, 12:08 PM
16. To allow the Department of Health and Human Services to bargain with drug companies for the lowest drug prices for the Medicare prescription drug plan and say "Fuck Off" to the big drug companies.

Trainwreck2100
10-09-2006, 12:13 PM
7. Would start the impeachment process. That is a positive. :tu

So instead of Bush there'd be Dicky, real possitive

JohnnyMarzetti
10-09-2006, 12:21 PM
From one dickhead to another. No thanks.

RandomGuy
10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
17. Gridlock on spending that will help cap federal spending, allowing for reduced budget deficits.

RandomGuy
10-09-2006, 12:48 PM
18. No more rubber-stamp congress. I.e. congress will actually ask questions that need to be asked.

RandomGuy
10-09-2006, 12:48 PM
19. no secret energy taskforces.

RandomGuy
10-09-2006, 12:50 PM
a lot of these reasons would simply put a stop to a lot of the negatives brought up by the other list.

This also begs the question, what would a "positive" list for keeping the GOP in power be?