PDA

View Full Version : Ailing back could force Spurs' Ginobili to sit today

TMTTRIO
10-07-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100806.03C.BKNspurs.ginobili.26498ed.html

Ailing back could force Spurs' Ginobili to sit today

Web Posted: 10/07/2006 07:40 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

PARIS — Manu Ginobili's sore back could keep him out of the Spurs' exhibition game today against Maccabi Tel Aviv.
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he doubts Ginobili will play, though Ginobili felt optimistic he would feel good enough today to go.

"It's way better than yesterday," Ginobili said. "Yesterday when I woke up it was very stiff.

"It depends on how I wake up tomorrow. But I think I'll be fine. Of course, it's up to Pop, but I'm planning on playing."

Ginobili was injured in the third quarter of the Spurs' victory over Adecco Asvel in Lyon. He was elbowed in the left hip earlier, and the team's medical staff thinks that may have helped aggravate his back.

"When I started running, I felt a little pinch," Ginobili said. "All the area was kind of tender. It wasn't a crazy move or anything. I was running and then I felt it."

Eric Williams (right Achilles' contusion) and Melvin Sanders (left groin strain) also are questionable for the game.

Beno Udrih, sidelined since the start of the preseason with a sore right hamstring, said he hopes to be able to begin practicing in a week.

"It's not so tight anymore," Udrih said. "At least when we go back to San Antonio, I think I can start working on the strength and get my strength back.

"Then hopefully, in a week, I'll be back. But you never know with a hamstring."

Udrih said he initially hurt his hamstring three weeks ago while running sprints as part of his offseason conditioning.

"I just felt a pop," he said. "Two weeks after the injury, I tried to come back. I pulled it a little bit again."

Popovich called Udrih the team's "fourth point guard" last week because he hasn't been available to practice. Udrih said he understands Popovich's frustration.

"He's a coach," Udrih said. "He wants to have all his players. But I'm not happy either. I would rather be on the court than on the side watching my teammates practice. If there's anybody frustrated, it's me.

"I hope I get back as soon as possible. I'm going to do everything possible to stay healthy."

Udrih said his goal is to earn Popovich's confidence and become the backup point guard.

"That's why I'm going to work hard," he said. "This can be my year. I know I can do a lot. I'm going to do everything in my power to help the team."

angel_luv
10-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Feel better Gino.

Melvin and Williams too. :)

RON ARTEST
10-07-2006, 09:39 PM
i dont remember how parker was with pop in his first year but would you say their relationship was similar to the one with udrih and pop right now? i think udrih willbe pretty good if he works hard like he says he will.

Kori Ellis
10-07-2006, 09:41 PM
i dont remember how parker was with pop in his first year but would you say their relationship was similar to the one with udrih and pop right now? i think udrih willbe pretty good if he works hard like he says he will.

In Tony's first year Pop screamed at him in his face on the sidelines a lot if he made mistakes on the floor. He still does it (just not nearly as often). It's not very similar to his relationship for Beno at all. Pop doesn't yell at Beno often. He is just obviously sick of Beno being "injured", out of shape or not ready to play.

TMTTRIO
10-07-2006, 09:49 PM
I hope it's nothing serious but more of nothing. I really hate to hear that even before the season has started he's already injured . Hopefully it won't be another long term thing like last year that prevented him from being him. He looked very good in the first game and very explosive like the old Manu.

ducks
10-07-2006, 10:28 PM
if manu can not stay healthy this year
spurs do not have the luxcury of having a payroll like the knicks you have to think about trading him for someone that can be on the court

ducks
10-07-2006, 10:29 PM

you can have him for a first round draft pick next year :elephant :elephant

MaNuMaNiAc
10-07-2006, 10:39 PM
if manu can not stay healthy this year
spurs do not have the luxcury of having a payroll like the knicks you have to think about trading him for someone that can be on the courtthere we go, where have you been ducks? this is the kind of dumbass takes we've come to expect from you ducky, your latest posts just didn't seem... you http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

ploto
10-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Pop doesn't yell at Beno often. He is just obviously sick of Beno being "injured", out of shape or not ready to play.
You can quit putting that in quotes.

"The injury is legit. Nobody denies that."
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA100706.spursmailbag.en.1666cf85.html

And this article verifies for people how he hurt it.

"Udrih said he initially hurt his hamstring three weeks ago while running sprints as part of his offseason conditioning."

spurschick
10-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Manu's back doesn't sound like a big deal. If this was a playoff game, there probably wouldn't be any question. It just doesn't make sense to take a chance of aggravating some soreness for an exhibition game.

Kori Ellis
10-08-2006, 03:37 AM
You can quit putting that in quotes.

"The injury is legit. Nobody denies that."
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA100706.spursmailbag.en.1666cf85.html

And this article verifies for people how he hurt it.

"Udrih said he initially hurt his hamstring three weeks ago while running sprints as part of his offseason conditioning."

The quotes on "injured" weren't about this particular injury, it was about his "injury" history. So you can stop acting like you are Beno's mother.

Slomo
10-08-2006, 04:01 AM
In Tony's first year Pop screamed at him in his face on the sidelines a lot if he made mistakes on the floor. He still does it (just not nearly as often). It's not very similar to his relationship for Beno at all. Pop doesn't yell at Beno often. He is just obviously sick of Beno being "injured", out of shape or not ready to play.I disagree to the extent that I think Pop is (was?) trying to do the same thing to both of them - which is to provoke them into giving more to the team, that they are/were. I'm also sure that what we saw in terms of Pop yelling at Tony during games was just the tip of the iceberg, I would speculate that he was even more on "his case" behind the practice facility's closed doors. And Tony obviously reacted to Pop's pressure well (without the need for Pop to blast him in in front of the Media).

Kori Ellis
10-08-2006, 04:03 AM
I disagree to the extent that I think Pop is (was?) trying to do the same thing to both of them - which is to provoke them into giving more to the team, that they are/were. I'm also sure that what we saw in terms of Pop yelling at Tony during games was just the tip of the iceberg, I would speculate that he was even more on "his case" behind the practice facility's closed doors. And Tony obviously reacted to Pop's pressure well (without the need for Pop to blast him in in front of the Media).

I agree that he is trying to accomplish the same thing -- provoke them to perform better. My point was that his approach is not the same with each of them.

Slomo
10-08-2006, 04:12 AM
I agree that he is trying to accomplish the same thing -- provoke them to perform better. My point was that his approach is not the same with each of them.Of course.

I only wrote that because the initial question was about Pop's relationship to both of them, and in that regard it's the same. Every other aspect of it is obviously (unfortunately) quite different.

Tony is much more mature than his age. He also seems quite focus on what he wants to achieve - stuburn even. How much do you think it's his father 's "fault". I like Tony sr., but he strikes me as an advocate of "tough love" :lol

smeagol
10-08-2006, 07:17 AM
there we go, where have you been ducks? this is the kind of dumbass takes we've come to expect from you ducky, your latest posts just didn't seem... you http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif
Ohh, he's been around making his stupid anti-Manu posts.

His next take will be "If Manu does not play at the 04-05 season level, he should be traded!" but we will barely hear him because he will be sucking Tony's dick at the same time. :rolleyes

T Park
10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
but we will barely hear him because he will be sucking Tony's dick at the same time

Parker last year all star, Manu? hurt.

Manu hurt again, what a shocker.

When are the Spurs gonna finally just cut Udrih and get it over with?

Brutalis
10-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Manu needs to get healthy or pack his bags.

smeagol
10-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Parker last year all star, Manu? hurt.

Manu two years ago ----> The reason why the Spurs got their 3rd ring.

Parker --------> Excellent PG but up to now, the reason for squat.

Manu hurt again, what a shocker.

The guy got elbowed on the hip and it's his fault?

As usual, you are a moron.

And by the way, Manu played, so shut your yapper.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-08-2006, 06:16 PM
There is no doubt Parker is the better player right now (I just made Ducks day :lol) but do we really need to start the "trade Manu talks" because the man had a stiff fucking back??

By the way T Park, have you answered to Slomo in regards to the quote underneath, or are you going to just bend over and take it :lol

You're an overweight bastard who's IQ is directly opposed to the size of your double chin. Too bad that your mother had to tie porkchops to your leg so that the family dog would play with you - had she not done that then you might not feel the need to try and buy friendship on an internet forum.

...yes, yes, I know, I like to start shiet...

Kori Ellis
10-08-2006, 06:31 PM
but do we really need to start the "trade Manu talks" because the man had a stiff fucking back??

That's what I was thinking. He had a stiff back and he played. I don't see why some people got riled up. :lol

smeagol
10-08-2006, 06:50 PM
That's what I was thinking. He had a stiff back and he played. I don't see why some people got riled up. :lol
Tpark has a way of getting me riled up.

Sorry :spin

PS: Slomo, that's some quote!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Tpark likes to overreact to non-issues. The guy fricken played today, with just a stiff back.

Wasn't he all up in arms about international play because Tony Parker broke his finger? Yeah....not the most discerning fellow, can't tell the difference between a minor injury and versus major debilitating ones.

smeagol
10-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Tpark likes to overreact to non-issues. The guy fricken played today, with just a stiff back.

Wasn't he all up in arms about international play because Tony Parker broke his finger? Yeah....not the most discerning fellow, can't tell the difference between a minor injury and versus major debilitating ones.
Were you around when he quit on the team in the series against the Nuggets in 05?

Or more recently when he said he would never post again? (and here he is, yapping away)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Were you around when he quit on the team in the series against the Nuggets in 05?

Or more recently when he said he would never post again? (and here he is, yapping away)
Ha! the year we won :lol but yeah, I don't think I was-- but I've heard that quitter talk being tossed around. I just thought it was funny how this board carries a few notorious posters.

Why does he come back after eating his words so many times?

Bruno
10-09-2006, 04:48 AM
Udrih said his goal is to earn Popovich's confidence and become the backup point guard.

"That's why I'm going to work hard," he said. "This can be my year. I know I can do a lot. I'm going to do everything in my power to help the team."

That's what I wanted to hear. Now, just do it, Beno.

Slomo
10-09-2006, 06:15 AM
PS: Slomo, that's some quote! It's taken out of context.

On its own like that it doesn't mean anything - it's actually stupid.