PDA

View Full Version : Kandi news

ploto
10-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Message from Michael

One of the more curious episodes this past week was the surprise return of Michael Olowokandi. Over the summer, Ainge had told Olowokandi's former agent, Bill Duffy, that the Celtics would welcome the big guy back on a make-good contract. Duffy, understandably, thought Olowokandi deserved something better. Olowokandi got nothing better and then, two days before Media Day, Duffy called Celtics basketball operations assistant Frank Burke and told Burke to expect Olowokandi in camp. Burke then told Ainge, who knew nothing of the situation. But the matter got dicier when the Celtics received a call from another prominent agent, whose specialty is placing players in Europe, asking about Olowokandi's whereabouts. That call came on Monday. The response: He's here.

Asked about playing for a minimum make-good deal, Olowokandi said, "Honestly speaking, what is enough for everyone? That's a highly personalized process and I think I've come to terms with what is enough for me. Playing now is not about the financial incentives. I can go on the record and actually say that. Over the summer, there was a point where I had a conversation with my agent and told him to tell [teams] that I would play as long as they cover my costs." No wonder he's acting as his own agent. Four percent of nothing is, I believe, nothing. Olowokandi's name has been removed from the list of clients on Duffy's website. The two had been together since 1998, when Olowokandi was the No. 1 pick in the draft. "I have nothing but respect and admiration for Bill Duffy," Olowokandi said . .

The Celtics' thinking regarding the Monday call for Olowokandi was that the agent was going to find a place for Olowokandi to play overseas, possibly in Athens. The Greek city is hosting the 2007 European Final Four and, thus, the top Athens-based teams, notably rivals Panathinaikos and Olympiakos, have beefed up their rosters, hoping to be among the participants in the annual spring affair. Old friend Tony Delk has signed on with Panathinaikos, as has Lithuanian big man Robertas Javtokas, who the Spurs were thinking (hoping?) might come across the pond and play for them this year. (He was the team's second-round pick in 2001, the same year they drafted Tony Parker.) Another old friend, Scoonie Penn, is one of several new faces on Olympiakos, joined by Alex Acker, who was on the Pistons' roster last year (the last pick of the second round of the 2005 draft) and played 35 minutes for the conference runners-up. Olympiakos also signed Lithuanian sharpshooter (is that redundant?) Arvydas Macijauskas, but he tore his left Achilles' tendon two weeks ago and is out for at least five months.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2006/10/08/the_skinny_is_on_his_side/?page=2

Bruno
10-09-2006, 04:57 AM
I can't believe that Phoenix hasn't given him a minimum contract.When they will faced Duncan, Shaq or Yao during playoffs, they will miss him.

SirChaz
10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Phoenix has chosen to live or die with a particular type of play.
It involves guys of any size that can shoot, run, and make good decisions with the ball. Olowokandi doesn't fit any of those criterion.

D'Antoni won't put Kandi out on the court anyway so why should they pay him?

If Kandi could play with Duncan, Yao, or Shaq he wouldn't be shopping himself for a minimum contract.

bdictjames
10-09-2006, 02:26 PM
He was a 1st-overall draft pick right? Or second, I dont really recall

mavsfan1000
10-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Kandi ranks up there with one of the biggest busts ever.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Kandi ranks up there with one of the biggest busts ever.

Clippers SURE can pick 'em, can't they?!?!

Bruno
10-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Phoenix has chosen to live or die with a particular type of play.
It involves guys of any size that can shoot, run, and make good decisions with the ball. Olowokandi doesn't fit any of those criterion.

D'Antoni won't put Kandi out on the court anyway so why should they pay him?

If Kandi could play with Duncan, Yao, or Shaq he wouldn't be shopping himself for a minimum contract.

D'Antoni put Steven Hunter (poor shooter and low BBIQ) on the court against Spurs in 05' playoffs and it works quite well.

Kandi is a good post defender and he has always done a good job on Duncan.

Supergirl
10-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Now that Kwame Brown has shown he'll show up for the right coach, and Darko has shown some potential, Kandi is EASILY the biggest bust of the draft, all years.

SirChaz
10-11-2006, 03:44 PM
D'Antoni put Steven Hunter (poor shooter and low BBIQ) on the court against Spurs in 05' playoffs and it works quite well.

Kandi is a good post defender and he has always done a good job on Duncan.

One thing Hunter could do is run the floor. Plus Hunter is/was a young player with potential for development unlike Kandi.

There is a reason Hunter is no longer on the team. He was not a bad player to have for 800K. Phoenix wasn't willing (or able) to pay him as much as PHI was and his mental mistakes made his minutes inconsistant.

All I am saying is Kandi doesn't really fit with the Suns and coach wouldn't play him.