PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Overlook at NBA Live 07

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Rate Me
By Randy Kim

NEW YORK -- Rockets swingman Tracy McGrady sat perched on a corner of a table at the NBA Store in midtown Manhattan with a baffled, if not incredulous, look on his face. "Really?" said McGrady. "Wow, I didn't know anything about that. That's crazy. That's unrealistic."

The news that left McGrady so flummoxed? It wasn't his being told that hoops pundits had picked his Rockets to be at the bottom of the Southwest Division this season, or a rival player saying that he didn't think T-Mac would be the same after an injury-plagued '05-06 campaign.

NBA LIVE 07
TOP TEN

Player, Team Rating
LeBron James, CLE 97
Kobe Bryant, LAL 96
Dwyane Wade, MIA 94
Kevin Garnett, MIN 93
Allen Iverson, PHI 93
Tracy McGrady, HOU 93
Gilbert Arenas, WAS 91
Steve Nash, PHO 91
Elton Brand, LAC 90
Dirk Nowitzki, DAL 90

No, the news that left McGrady so dumbfounded was that he had just been told that he has a strength rating of 50 out of 100 in EA Sports' NBA Live 2007, for which the perennial All-Star serves as the game's cover model. According to the experts at EA Sports, the only Houston players with less muscle on their frames than T-Mac are Rafer Alston (40) and Luther Head (45). This is what left T-Mac shaking his head in disbelief.

Now admittedly, the game's strength ratings are probably based on more than how much weight an NBA player can hoist in the team's weight room. In all likelihood, it has to do just as much with a player's ability to box out, assert position on the blocks, and fight through picks. And maybe (just maybe) a certain writer did bring this low rating to a certain player's attention in order to find a meatier hook for this story. But if nothing else, T-Mac's reaction does serve as an example of how much these virtual ratings mean to the actual players themselves.

"Yeah, (player ratings) mean a lot," said Knicks guard Nate Robinson, also in attendance at the NBA Store for the unveiling of the NBA Live covers. "I'm a 69 (overall) and I think I'm way better than a 69."

Robinson wasn't irate about his 69. In fact, he said that ultimately he was "just happy to be a part of the game." But what's telling about Robinson's response isn't that he wants it to be higher, it's that he was already aware of his rating before the media session, meaning the 2006 Slam Dunk Champion had done his homework prior to the press event. This "advance scouting" is a rarity for a young player -- or any player, actually -- and shows that players aren't just aware of their ratings, they sometimes wear them as badges of honor.

This comes as no surprise to those closest to the game, however. According to NBA Live Senior Producer Brent Nielsen, courting a little ratings-controversy is nothing new to those who work for EA Sports.

"Every year, and it doesn't matter which sport, you'll get guys saying, 'There's no way I should be rated an 82 overall in the game!'," says Nielsen. "It's either that or, 'Hey, can you beef up my stats a little bit?'"

While Nielsen and his team -- including a dedicated database guru who, according to Nielsen, "spends months and months researching game footage and statistics" -- know there's no way to make every player happy in their quest to recreate virtual rosters, they have reached a level of detail never seen before in the NBA Live franchise.

"There are usually 25 ratings in (NBA Live) and this year there are between 75 and 80 ratings," said Nielsen. "We wanted to capture all the different types of athleticism -- from guys' first steps to their crossovers. That way, an Iverson would feel different from a Kobe in the game."

Indeed, a cursory glance at the ratings reveals that not only are there ratings for basics like "Athleticism", "Defense", "Agility" and "Vertical", but there are also super-specific categories for such attributes as "Recovery Quickness", "Scoring With Contact", "Hedging the Screen", and "Defensive Sink or Swim Effectiveness". The additional categories were added in a quest to make the game play as realistically as possible, and to rank the players as accurately as possible, the latter being something Nielsen and his team find to be both gratifying and nerve-wracking.

"When we get the overall ratings, the first thing we do is look and say, 'Are the players that you'd expect to be in the top 10 or 20 the guys that you're seeing?' Or else we're saying, 'Wow, here's a guy who's not getting the respect he deserves.'" said Nielsen. "It definitely sparks a lot of debates. It's a very involved process, but it's a great part of the job. But it's nerve-wracking because, again, the players take it very seriously."

So knowing how seriously the players take their ratings, LeBron James will be happy to know that he's the game's highest-rated player, with an overall rating of 97. Close on The King's heels are Kobe Bryant with a 96, and Dwyane Wade at 94. After the top three, McGrady, Kevin Garnett and Allen Iverson are all in a tie for fourth at 93.

But what of Grizzlies forward Lawrence Roberts? The second-year player who appeared in 33 games last season has the lowest overall rating in the game at 54*. Is it really necessary to single out one player as the worst in the league? Or is this perhaps a slightly devious method through which EA tries to drum up hype for the release of its game, in the way that Redskins' long-snapper Casey Rabach received notoriety in the press for being a "digital Mr. Irrelevant"? I posed this conspiracy theory to Nielsen.

"Absolutely not," says Nielsen. "It's funny, being from Vancouver I was a Grizzlies fan until they moved, so I still follow the Memphis Grizzlies a little bit myself. So I'm a little disappointed to see one of my Grizzlies in (the bottom) spot."

Spoken like a true fan, as well as an objective and careful judge of talent, a combination that is exactly what Nielsen's job calls for.

(* - Writer's Note: After the press event at the NBA Store, I took a closer look at the game's overall ratings and found that Detroit forward Amir Johnson, not Roberts, is actually the lowest rated player in the game at 51. Apologies to Nielsen and Roberts for my gaffe. Such a discovery should obviously drop this writer's ranking in the "Fact-checking" category to sub-30. Hopefully, I won't get cut by the front office at ESPN.com, but maybe I can find a Euro-league gig overseas if I do.)

TDMVPDPOY
10-08-2006, 01:39 PM
this game got a very low preview ratin from ign..com and gamespot

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Yea. When the PS3 comes out, Im gonna get it with NBA 2K7.

Texas_Ranger
10-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Duncan not in the top 10. WTF? This game sucks.

Texas_Ranger
10-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Yea. When the PS3 comes out, Im gonna get it with NBA 2K7.

Yea man, NBA 2K7 is way better than NBA live.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Duncan just missed it with an 89.

Texas_Ranger
10-08-2006, 11:56 PM
^^He should get at least 91

dirk4mvp
10-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Live sucks ass. No way in hell should Arenas have a higher rating than Dirk or Duncan.

Texas_Ranger
10-09-2006, 12:19 AM
^^You `re right. This game really sucks. For me the best NBA live game was that from 2000 & 1999.

ATX Spur
10-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Amare is 89 as well. I think the verdict is still out on that one, too.

dirk4mvp
10-09-2006, 12:42 AM
^^You `re right. This game really sucks. For me the best NBA live game was that from 2000 & 1999.

Live 00 with Timmy on the cover owned. I used to play the shit out of that game on my n64.

http://jaquetteworld.chez-alice.fr/images/cd_jeux/NBA_Live_2000-Front.jpg

Budkin
10-09-2006, 01:40 AM
I left Live for NBA 2k back in 2001 and haven't looked back. Much better basketball game all around, especially this year. Live 07 is particularly awful and 2k7 is just about the best it's ever been. No contest, 2k7 rules.

TDMVPDPOY
10-09-2006, 04:44 AM
94 live very good 2d game enjoyed it sega
95 enjoyed it as much as 94 sega
00 cant say anthing else but oooohhhaaaahhhh ps1
03 too arkade for my liking even on pc
04 hit it on the spot, best game ive played on ps2
05 didnt play it much when it first came out, but started playin again on friends xbox which is so much different than the ps2 version
06 played it on pc, very good if i had a pc gaming system
07 no comment about it, but had alot of bad reviews which is stopping me from purchasing it.

WTF does EA keep on buyin out its competitors, which really pisses me off, cose they have problems with there own games, and should worry about fixin the bugs than the competition.

Texas_Ranger
10-09-2006, 06:53 AM
98 - I played it on the pc and it was pretty good. rating:86
99 - played it on pc, for me it was similar to the NBA live 98. rating:88
00 - played it on pc, for me the best NBA game from EA Sports. rating:95
01 - played it on pc, I didn`t played it a lot but it was OK. rating:79
03 - played it on pc, didn`t like it because it was too fast (no defense). rating:73
04 - played it on pc, it was good in the beginning but then it was just boring. rating:78
05 - played it on pc, when I saw the slam dunk contest I knew that it is shit. rating:65
06 - played it on pc and ps2, similar to the NBA live 05, with some new moves. rating:64
07 - didn`t play, but I saw some poictures and heard some news and I can say that it SUCKS!

I played NBA 2K6 on ps2 and I can say that is way better than any new version of NBA ˝Live˝.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-09-2006, 07:17 AM
wow... players worrying about wether or not they have a high rating on fucking game, way to focus on the things that really matter! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif I swear NBA players get more stupid by the minute... if that's even possible

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-09-2006, 07:35 AM
wow... players worrying about wether or not they have a high rating on fucking game, way to focus on the things that really matter! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif I swear NBA players get more stupid by the minute... if that's even possible
:lol I know, I was like, they're worried about their game rating? Talk about having inverted priorities, small minds.
I'm pretty sure the smarter players could care less about their ratings, at the very most, joke about it.

z0sa
10-09-2006, 10:12 AM
nba 2k series is simply LIGHTYEARS (yes, thats 187,000,000 miles per second) ahead of nba live. nba live sucks huge balls - its so shitty Im surprised a single person goes out and buys even one copy.

Now, the 2k series, it is truly amazing. 2k6 is one of the funnest games, if not the funnest game, ever, at least in my opinion. Set me down with a fantasy draft and Ill play all 82 games straight. lol

themvp
10-10-2006, 04:51 PM

themvp
10-10-2006, 04:52 PM
00 - played it on pc, for me the best NBA game from EA Sports. rating:95

Really? Oh.... What about FIFA RTWC 98´?

Mixability
10-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Live sucks anyway, so who cares.

MrChug
10-10-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm SICK AND TIRED of defending Live, and my stupidity (bought it since '95). I've bought 2K7 twice and liked it enough to get past my "loyalty" to Live. This game sucks.

MrChug
10-10-2006, 08:27 PM
nba 2k series is simply LIGHTYEARS (yes, thats 187,000,000 miles per second) ahead of nba live. nba live sucks huge balls - its so shitty Im surprised a single person goes out and buys even one copy.

:bang That's me (again). Sorry. :depressed

dirk4mvp
10-10-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm SICK AND TIRED of defending Live, and my stupidity (bought it since '95). I've bought 2K7 twice and liked it enough to get past my "loyalty" to Live. This game sucks.

Why'd you buy it twice?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-10-2006, 08:52 PM
He probably meant 2k6.

baseline bum
10-10-2006, 08:52 PM
NBA Live 2007 is garbage. I've been a huge EA NBA fan since Bulls vs Blazers, to the point that I've been making mods for the game and posting them online since Live 99, but I'm done with it. Live 2007 is probably the worst iteration ever of the series, and I'm never going back. 2k7 is so far superior that I'll probably get a 360 just for it.

Texas_Ranger
10-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Really? Oh.... What about FIFA RTWC 98´?

I said NBA game. You know that the best game from EA Sports is FIFA RTWC 98. So what? :rolleyes

MrChug
10-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Why'd you buy it twice?

:lmao Yeah...see next post (smarta$$). :blah

MrChug
10-11-2006, 02:20 PM
He probably meant 2k6.

Yeah...thanks :elephant

sickdsm
10-12-2006, 09:59 AM
2K6 and 2K7 are very similar execpt the gameplay is a lot better. I still can't take a quick guy and beat him off the dribble though which frustrates me.

MrChug
10-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I tried Live for a few hours yesterday. FORGET IT. In an 18 minute half I had 22 points/8 ast with Baron Davis, 26 pts with Michael Redd, and FORTY-NINE points and 4 ast with Adam Morrison! That's too easy. But that's all they give you is outside shooting. I tried to see if it was harder at the highest level but I still make 9-13 3ptrs with an averager bomber. The controls...I'll give em a chance. But I'm still trying 2K7.