PDA

View Full Version : Rockets to Go Small Ball; Battier at PF

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Battier may play four spot
Versatile Rocket could be answer at power forward

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

So often lauded for his ability to offer any answer with uncommon grace, Shane Battier artfully talked without saying anything.

He often had been said to be as verbally agile as any politician, which is not really accurate because it's been awhile since politicians were so well-spoken. But when asked a simple question — will he be a power forward with the Rockets? — he did his best to duck.

"I run through everything," he said. "Every play I try to rotate between the power forward and small forward positions. You have to understand, the wings are interchangeable. There's really four positions I'm trying to learn in a short period."

That offered nothing definitive, but there are other clues available. After practice when the team goes off to shooting drills, the centers and power forwards usually head to one end, while the perimeter players take the other. Easy.

That failed, too. After training camp practices, with 14 rims in Cooley Pavilion in Austin, Battier and most players shot alone.

"That won't work," he said.

There are plays to learn. Surely he is spending his time primarily at one position or another.

"We haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'm all over," Battier said. "I don't think I'll be nailed down this year."

By now laughing along at his verbal dexterity, he was tough to nail down on any answer about playing power forward.

"You got me," he said when called on his subterfuge. "I've never been one to be defined."

But then, a clue emerged.

When speaking of the value of perimeter shooting, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said, "That's why I like Battier at the four, I do."

That might not be terribly definitive. Liking Battier at the four, even playing him there, does not mean he will play power forward exclusively. But it is a strong indication Battier will see significant time at power forward with the Rockets, rather than his customary spot at small forward.

A bit of clarity
Finally, Battier, 6-8, could not help himself and offered a fairly clear answer.

"I played a lot of power forward for the U.S. team," Battier said of his significant role with the USA Basketball entry at the World Championship in Japan. "Although I was used in spots at power forward for Memphis, I think I will be used a lot more here. It's confidence from playing the four spot internationally and then here."

In Memphis, he shifted to power forward down the stretch of close games. He gave the Grizzlies a perimeter shooting threat to help space the floor for Pau Gasol. With the Rockets, Yao Ming demands double teams inside; Tracy McGrady draws defensive help on the perimeter, making shooting range, especially at power forward, especially valuable.

"I've made a career of playing off Pau Gasol so far," Battier said. "I was always the guy in the weakside corner, so when they were double-teaming the post or they kicked it out, I shot a pretty good percentage for my career."

Battier has made 45.4 percent of his shots in his five-season career and 38.1 percent of his 3s. But last season, he was up to 48.8 percent shooting.

Still, the position he plays will be defined by defense as much as offense, and at power forward he would have to go against the elite Western Conference power forwards — Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand, Dirk Nowitzki and Amare Stoudemire.

But Battier has become regarded as a top defender not because of great quickness or strength, but by using technique and tenacity, the only formula with much of a chance against the top power forwards.

"I'm not the biggest or fastest guy in the world, but once I figure out what I have to do, I find a way to get it done," Battier said. "That's all that matters."

When Battier is not matched up with the best power forwards, there also could be time at the position against small forwards now playing power spots, another sign of the position he will play.

Going small
"Just talking to the guys, last year they struggled sometimes guarding the smaller teams in the league, teams like Phoenix that play up and down, a fast-break pace; teams like Seattle, a smaller team," Battier said. "Basically, every team has a smaller lineup. That's probably part of the reason they made the trade for me. I'll be thrust into that role this year."

All that said, in some ways it won't matter what position Battier plays, he plans to play either forward spot roughly the same, which he said is why he does not like to define himself by a position, or much of anything else. Instead, he said he wants only to do what's needed.

"This is still Yao's and Tracy's team," Battier said. "I think they brought me in to complement them and do what I've done the last five years of my career — play hard every single night, play smart basketball and make winning basketball plays."

But for now, that sounds like a power forward.

1Parker1
10-09-2006, 10:21 AM
If Rockets somehow upgrade their bench this season, they could be deadly (if healthy).

z0sa
10-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I think the Rockets go farther than the first round this year..

The-Wizz
10-09-2006, 10:52 AM
rockets are freakin stacked if i was a rockets fan then this would be a good year 2 be one