PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who's Number 1?

BERSERK
10-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Mike Kahn ranks the NBA's Power Forwards for this upcoming season.

In case you thoroughly enjoyed all those new faces in the Western Conference finals last year, don't get used to it.

Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs will be back, and you can count on it. Following a year filled with injuries — a lot of it coming from being so worn down with international offseason commitments by this multi-cultural team — the group is coming back intact, and healthier.

Once again, they've gone through some transition. But that never seems to matter, if only because Duncan always makes it work. Not only is he immensely skilled, his intelligence quotient for the game puts him in another stratosphere.

Also...
# Kahn: Top point guards
# Kahn: Top shooting guards
# Kahn: Top small forwards

"The fortunate thing for us is that it seems that, given enough talent, all pieces fit around Timmy," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He figures it out. If you look at '99 we played with Avery (Johnson), Jarron Jackson and Mario (Elie) and then he plays with Tony (Parker) and Manu (Ginobili) as rookies in 2003. Timmy has an uncanny ability of allowing people to come in and have the pieces fit around him."

Part of the reason, of course, is simply because Duncan makes the game look easy and it naturally becomes easier for everybody else around him. And that's why he once again ranks as FOXSports.com's top power forward.

Even though the Dallas Mavericks, led by Dirk Nowitzki, knocked out the Spurs in that spectacular seven-game Western Conference semifinal last year, Nowitzki still hasn't displayed enough to knock Duncan off his perch. But he's getting closer as his game expands beyond extraordinary speed, agility and shooting range on a 7-foot, 250-pound frame.

Following an injury-plagued 2005-2006 season, San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan is healthy and is expected to return to MVP form and lead the Spurs back to the NBA finals. (Gregory Shamus/NBAE / Getty Images)

Mostly it was leadership and success that allowed Nowitzki to upend the always special Kevin Garnett from the No. 2 spot this season.

"I think Dirk really started last year in terms of striving to be a more vocal leader," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said. "I think obviously he said some things at the wrong time, but hey I'd rather have that guy say something and let me correct him on what he said than not say it at all."

Right on their heels was the extraordinary season from Elton Brand, who led the Los Angeles Clippers from the perennial ashes of the Western Conference basement into the second round of the playoffs. He is only getting better — and so are the Clippers.

This could be a transitional season for Jermaine O'Neal, who has to prove to the Indiana Pacers and himself that he can perform for an entire season — something that has become increasingly difficult for him the past three years. And speaking of injuries, Memphis star Pau Gasol will start the season with a cast on his broken foot, but still merits ranking in the top 10 as his game expanded to a new level.

Young Chris Bosh is expected to help the Toronto Raptors become more consistently competitive as opposed to a couple times a week, while veterans Chris Webber, Rasheed Wallace and Antawn Jamison always merit mention.

But meriting mention and competing at the level of Duncan is a different story ... just wait ... and on with the rankings based on subjective FOXSports.com research.

1. Tim Duncan, 30, San Antonio Spurs: 6-11, 260: With three titles and three Finals MVP awards, he struggled physically last season while averaging 18.6 pts., 11.0 reb., 3.2 ast., .88 stl., 2.03 blk., and shot .484 from the field. He was spectacular in the seven-game playoff loss to the Mavs, and some calls that could have gone either way were the difference. This is the first summer he's had off in years and don't underestimate what he will do this season.

2. Dirk Nowitzki, 28, Dallas Mavericks: 7-0, 250: Dirk went to a whole new level last season but the 26.6 pts., 9.0 reb., 2.8 ast., .72 stl., 1.02 blk., and .480 field goal percentage didn't tell the story. He was the unequivocal leader, taking the big shots on the floor and giving the big shots off the floor — even to owner Mark Cuban. His shrinkage during the Finals collapse notwithstanding, he became a scorer at the basket, to go along with his outrageous range and free-throw shooting.

3. Kevin Garnett, 30, Minnesota Timberwolves: 6-11, 230: K.G.'s numbers dropped to 21.8 pts., 12.7 reb., 4.1 ast., 1.37 stl., 1.41 blk., and .526 from the field, but you would have thought he collapsed the way the criticism flowed. The team was a mess and Kevin McHale kept making bad deals. When a guy becomes the first player ever to average at least 20 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists six years in a row and slips only .9 assists from doing it again, it's most likely a commentary on his teammates rather than him.

4. Elton Brand, 27, Los Angeles Clippers: 6-8, 270: Brand spent most of last season as an MVP candidate not only because of his escalating numbers — 24.7 pts., 10.0 reb., 2.6 ast., 1.03 stl., 2.54 blk. and connecting on .527 of his shots — but because he led the Clippers to the second round of the playoffs. He expanded his shooting range, continued to block shots and used his deceptive body to dominate inside. He keeps getting better.

5. Jermaine O'Neal, 28, Indiana Pacers: 6-11, 250: Although he averaged 20.1 pts., 9.3 reb., 2.6 ast., .53 stl., 2.29 blk., and made .472 of his shots, O'Neal again missed too many games and wasn't the dominant factor he needs to be. He's played in only 95 of a possible 182 games the past two seasons and in the 2004 conference finals he was playing on one leg. They need him on two legs, playing at an All-Star level again to be serious playoff contenders. No excuses.

6. Pau Gasol, 26, Memphis Grizzlies, 7-0, 260: Although he likely won't be playing for a while due to a foot injury during the world championships, we'll cut Pau some slack after a career-altering 20.9 pts., 8.9 reb., 4.6 ast., .58 stl., 1.91 blk., and .503 field goal percentage last season. The Grizzlies still haven't won a playoff game in their history, but it's not because of what he didn't do. If they don't fall too far back early, he might just get them into the playoffs again.

7. Chris Bosh, 22, Toronto Raptors: 6-10, 235: Based on how much he improved last season by putting up 22.5 pts., 9.2 reb., 2.6 ast., .71 stl., 1.13 blk. and hitting .505 of his shots, Bosh should take another giant step this season with the addition of slick point guard T.J. Ford. Contrary to what some people may say, he doesn't deserve yet to be referred to as a lefty Kevin Garnett, but he is so young, very bright, talented and keeps getting better.

8. Chris Webber, 33, Philadelphia 76ers: 6-10, 250: His numbers — 20.2 pts., 9.9 reb., 3.4 ast., 1.37 stl., .83 blk., and .434 field goal percentage — belie the generally erratic play of last season that led the Sixers to a second straight lottery trip. Nonetheless, Webber's staggering versatility deems him one of the great pure talents at power forward in the history of the game. But his inconsistency and brooding have always overshadowed the awesome gifts and always will now that microfracture knee surgery has destroyed his legs.

9. Rasheed Wallace, 32, Detroit Pistons: 6-11, 240: 'Sheed took a lot of criticism last year with the 15.1 pts., 6.8 reb., 2.3 ast., 1.03 stl., 1.63 blk., and .430 shooting percentage, but mostly because of his erratic play offensively. The fact of the matter is he's always been that way. It is his team defense, moving the ball and the threat of what he can do offensively that makes him special. But with Big Ben leaving, they'll be counting on him more in the post — which he hasn't liked over the years — so now he has to respond.

10. Antawn Jamison, 30, Washington Wizards: 6-9, 240: If you look at the numbers — 20.5 pts., 9.3 reb., 1.9 ast., 1.1 stl., .15 blk., and .442 field goal percentage — you can see why so many people like Jamison. That's not to mention what a high-quality guy he is on and off the court. But the fact of the matter is he's pretty much just a scorer and offensive rebounder. They need him to play defense, move the ball better and have some kind of interior presence, or this team will always be limited.

Also given consideration were: Zach Randolph, Portland Trail Blazers; Nenad Krstic, New Jersey Nets; Carlos Boozer, Utah Jazz; Emeka Okafor, Charlotte Bobcats; Kenyon Martin, Denver Nuggets; Kurt Thomas, Phoenix Suns; Troy Murphy, Golden State Warriors; Udonis Haslem, Miami Heat; Drew Gooden, Cleveland Cavaliers; Chris Wilcox, Seattle Sonics.

At least Mike Kahn saw the truth on Dirk's "choke-job" on the finals.

stretch
10-09-2006, 11:42 AM
cant argue that list. i think its good. as much as i love him, Dirk should not be ranked ahead of Tim Duncan. Dirk is a more dangerous player, and maybe even more talented, but hes not a better basketball player. Duncan has 3 rings, 3 finals MVPs, and 2 league MVPs, and made All-NBA first team almost every year of his career or something like that. its hard to argue that ANY PF in NBA history can be ranked ahead of Duncan, with such an impressive record.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-09-2006, 11:45 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51170

bdictjames
10-09-2006, 11:56 AM
At least Duncan never lost a Finals series

stretch
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
what does that have to do with anything?

xamila rey
10-10-2006, 12:35 AM
what does that have to do with anything?

MVP, RINGS...that makes him the best of both

freemeat
10-10-2006, 04:06 AM
On the all-time list, who comes first? Karl Malone or Tim Duncan? I'm trying not to be prejudiced toward Timmy, but I think I have to pick him because of the rings. Quite frankly, he could have five or six if he didn't have the injuries. Malone played a virtually completely healthy career and only went to the finals twice. Once he lost to Jordan. The other, he wasn't the go-to guy like he was in Utah.

Is there anyone else that can be considered for the #1 power forward of all time? Maybe Garnett, but he and Duncan have had pretty much parallel careers with Timmy coming out on top. Stats only go so far. You have to consider smarts, on-court awareness and winning percentage.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-10-2006, 06:07 AM
That's petty.

davi78239
10-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks Stretch for being respectful. Dirk is a great player as well and will just get even better.

rascal
10-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Still would take Garnett before Duncan on my fantasy team.

Duncan > Malone

stretch
10-10-2006, 08:59 AM
MVP, RINGS...that makes him the best of both
ok, and i agree with that fully. i think he is the best PF of all time. if i was building a team and could pick any player in NBA history, the only player i would pick ahead of Duncan is Michael Jordan (obviously). while i think there were better basketball players, and more dominant basketball players throughout history, not many players can do what Duncan does for his team. Duncan does it all. about the only things he cant do is shoot threes and free throws, but not many dominant all-time PF/C's could. i think he would be the ideal player to build a team around.

JamStone
10-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I would rank Dirk no. 1 right now. If we're talking about RIGHT NOW. Of course, it doesn't mean respective careers, who has been better.

CosmicCowboy
10-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Amare Stoudamire isn't even mentioned?

Kori Ellis
10-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Amare Stoudamire isn't even mentioned?

I think he's including him in Centers.

CosmicCowboy
10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I think he's including him in Centers.

Yeah, you must be right. Even though he plays like a power forward I see Phoenix has him listed at Center...

coopdogg3
10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
cant argue that list. i think its good. as much as i love him, Dirk should not be ranked ahead of Tim Duncan. Dirk is a more dangerous player, and maybe even more talented, but hes not a better basketball player. Duncan has 3 rings, 3 finals MVPs, and 2 league MVPs, and made All-NBA first team almost every year of his career or something like that. its hard to argue that ANY PF in NBA history can be ranked ahead of Duncan, with such an impressive record.

Well said sir, jolly well said.

mardigan
10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Barkley was better than Malone, and twice as fun to watch

mardigan
10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
But as far as the best p/f, Duncan is second to none in history

MajorMike
10-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I can't stand the Pistons or anything about them... but ranking Webber in front of Wallace???

RogerIsEatingASandwich
10-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Pau should be before Jermaine O' Neal.

Oh, Gee!!
10-10-2006, 04:37 PM
But as far as the best p/f, Duncan is second to none in history

George Mikan?

Dirk41MVP
10-11-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd put dirk ahead of Duncan RIGHT NOW, and that's not because I'm a homer or w/e you want to say. TD is supposevely "hurt" and until he gets back to his top-notch performances he shouldn't be #1 IMO. Dirk has had more recent PO sucess and reg. season success than all those guys..

He puts Jamison and Webber and not Amare ? amare is also hurt, but he is a great player, shouldn't he be included ?.. confused what this guy's criteria is, since it's impossible to know the future, last time i checked...

Zunni
10-11-2006, 06:37 PM
George Mikan?
Mikan = C

He was Shaq before Shaq was: the large but proprotional dominant big man of his time.

dirk4mvp
10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
God damn. There can't be any credit given without you all hating the shit out of it.

Obstructed_View
10-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Still would take Garnett before Duncan on my fantasy team.

So would most people, unless wins were a factor.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-11-2006, 09:15 PM
How many times can Dirk choke in the playoffs before people stop sucking his D?

MrChug
10-12-2006, 11:08 AM
So would most people, unless wins were a factor.

...and they're NOT so that's why these "FANTASY LISTINGS" make no sense in the real world.

I'll admit it, I put Dirk ahead of Tim in my "2007 Preseason Preview" ONLY because of his performance last season. He DID take Tim's spot on the All-NBA 1st team for a reason. His likelihood to continue his excellence is unavoidable. Will Tim improve from last season? DEFINITELY. Will he carry the Spurs further than the Mavs this season than the Mavs? Most likely. Will Tim be back to #1 at the beginning of next season if he does those 2 things? YES.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2006, 01:56 PM
He DID take Tim's spot on the All-NBA 1st team for a reason.
http://www.ourfootdoctor.com/images/heeldiagram.jpg

dirk4mvp
10-12-2006, 03:54 PM
^And your ususally the one telling Mavs fans they make excuses :drunk

Obstructed_View
10-12-2006, 10:04 PM
^And your ususally the one telling Mavs fans they make excuses :drunk
Um, you need to ask your mommy to buy you a dictionary so you can look up the definition of "excuse", because crowing about Dirk taking Timmy's spot on the first team as though Timmy wasn't injured is just stupid. If I point out that Dirk won the three point competition because they allowed a late basket does that constitute an excuse to you, too?