PDA

View Full Version : Buying meds in Mexico

DJREN37
10-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Has anyone done this? I hear that you shouln't cause you don't know what your taking, and then i also hear that they are a great cheaper alternative. I need a simple antibiotic, Bactrim, but my a-hole dr wants to see me again instead of just giving me a re-fill. I am not insured at the moment and wont be until end of November when i qualify at new job, so dr's visit is $88 and fill is $11. I am thinking of making the drive since it will be cheaper in the short run, but think that the $60 savings may not be worth the risk. Any feed back is appreciated.

nickbroken
10-09-2006, 03:07 PM
I have a friend who goes down every few months, getting meds from Mexico, is no different then getting them from Canada, in otherwords. It's no different then getting them here, and a lot cheaper, just depends on the drug, they have classes for the drugs, and certain class drugs you can only bring like 50 pills back across, so you will be ok if you take them, I actually think if I remember right I took some amoxicillin from there and it worked fine.

ATX Spur
10-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about the meds in Mexico. Pharmaceutical companies in Latin America don't have the intense competition to create newer products like in Western Europe and the States. In the US, companies spend millions and millions on research, so their products cost much more. You don't have this worry in Mexico, so you're getting what you need at a fraction of the cost. If you want to save money, and can afford the trouble of the drive, I say go for, but buy enough Bactrim and Amoxicillina to last you a while in Texas. Or enough that you can give/sell to your friends when they get sick. :angel

ObiwanGinobili
10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I am on some antibiotics right now and they are from Mexico. They;ve done the job. :tu

7 day round cost me $2.50 abouts.. these pills are actually from a huge bottle of antibiotics my mom got last time she went.

2Blonde
10-09-2006, 05:36 PM
There is a list somewhere of the ones to be careful about purchasing outside the country. They are usually the ones like cardiac & cholesterol lowering meds. Most of it is probably hype put out by the pharmaceutical industry but to be on the safe side for now I would stay away from purchasing those few meds outside the US. The others should be fine. Just use you're own judgement.

As far as your doc goes, call him and when he or his nurse calls you back explain that you are between insurance right now and you really can't afford the extra office visit right now. I would bet they will be sympathetic if you explain it that way. He will probably let you call in and see if you are doing better at the end of the course of antibiotics and if not then he could write you a new script this one time instead of having you come in. When he ask if you want it called in somewhere just say no thanks and ask tell him you want a written script because you want to check around for the best price. You don't need to tell him you are filling it in Mexico.

Kevin Trudeau
10-09-2006, 05:51 PM
ALL prescription and non-prescription drugs cause sickness and disease, no matter where they are from.

Of course, these are things they don't want you to know about.

ObiwanGinobili
10-10-2006, 08:49 AM
As far as your doc goes, call him and when he or his nurse calls you back explain that you are between insurance right now and you really can't afford the extra office visit right now. I would bet they will be sympathetic if you explain it that way. He will probably let you call in and see if you are doing better at the end of the course of antibiotics and if not then he could write you a new script this one time instead of having you come in. When he ask if you want it called in somewhere just say no thanks and ask tell him you want a written script because you want to check around for the best price. You don't need to tell him you are filling it in Mexico.

Yes. :tu

Or you can pay the 'Dr.' across the street from the pharmacy about $5 or $10 bucks to write a scrip for what you need.

DJREN37
10-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Thank's for all the good advice folks, guess my doc needs a new putter cause wants me to visit before giving me a refill. I'm off to Mexico on Friday and will just get script from DR.$10.

ducks
10-10-2006, 01:46 PM
some of the drugs there are the exact same things they sell in the USA
same color packages and everything
just labeled in spanish