PDA

View Full Version : Felix requests to be waived from the Sonics

ploto
10-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Sorry :(

SEATTLE - The Seattle SuperSonics have requested waivers on forward Noel Felix, Sonics General Manager Rick Sund announced.

A 6-9 forward out of Fresno State, Felix originally signed with the Sonics to the first of two 10-day contracts on March 2 and averaged 1.5 points and 1.1 rebounds in 12 games with the Sonics last season.

http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/felix061009.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Bastards...

ducks
10-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I take him over devin brown

Leetonidas
10-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I thought he was going to play with a Euro team?

boutons_
10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
It's a brutal, unforgiving competition for 30 x 15 roster slots.

If only Beno would realize he has a chance and a contract that 1000s of other guys would die for.

ducks
10-09-2006, 04:52 PM
cut beno sign him

angel_luv
10-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Stupid Sonics! :td

shaggy17
10-09-2006, 04:57 PM
:elephant :elephant Thank you Sonics!! Now go sign him RC!!! This is a long 3 we could use!!

Sense
10-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Ok let's not be somewhat bias about this...

He's ok, but just cuz he's talked about here alot doesn't mean he's a good fit for the NBA or for that matter the Spurs.

kris
10-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Ok let's not be somewhat bias about this...

He's ok, but just cuz he's talked about here alot doesn't mean he's a good fit for the NBA or for that matter the Spurs.

I know you're just trying to be the logical one, but you're wrong. I've met the guy, I've seen him play in person, and the Spurs would be lucky to have him.

He's got excellent work ethic, character, he's actually 6'9'', he can jump out of the gym, he prides himself on defense, he's versatile, and he's a smart player.

He would be perfect for the Spurs.

He'll be in the NBA again and make the Sonics look stupid for dropping him.

shaggy17
10-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I know you're just trying to be the logical one, but you're wrong. I've met the guy, I've seen him play in person, and the Spurs would be lucky to have him.

He's got excellent work ethic, character, he's actually 6'9'', he can jump out of the gym, he prides himself on defense, he's versatile, and he's a smart player.

I just hope management is aware of his game! This is a perfect chance to find that long 3 we have been trying to land and this guy could be it for peanuts. Id take him over E Williams in a heartbeat.

kris
10-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I just hope management is aware of his game! This is a perfect chance to find that long 3 we have been trying to land and this guy could be it for peanuts. Id take him over E Williams in a heartbeat.

I'd take him over a lot of NBA players. I can guarantee you if this guy got 15 minutes a game on the Spurs, he'd be a difference maker. The Spurs could have desperately used him last year in the Mavericks series.

I think some people may have the impression that he's raw, but he's really not. He's not just some athletic phenom that rejected a Yao Ming dunk, he knows the game.

ducks
10-09-2006, 05:16 PM
I dare say his work ethic is better then devin brown

boutons_
10-09-2006, 05:17 PM
The Spurs didn't keep him, nobody else has kept him, so why is he now a "difference maker" for the Spurs?

It seems like he's just not good enough for the NBA, at least not yet. Go play in Europe, or wherever and try to improve.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
He asked the Sonics to release him. They didn't cut him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Good. He doesn't need them.

Solid D
10-09-2006, 05:32 PM
It's a shame, but better early than late. European market is still somewhat open and a nice money-making option.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2006, 05:32 PM
He requested them to release him this morning. They didn't want to cut him now.

Solid D
10-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Kori. We'll be interested in hearing where he signs.

T Park
10-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Cut Beno sign Noel.

But Im sure that won't happen.

We gotta bombard Noel's agent to get the Spurs to sign him.

FromWayDowntown
10-09-2006, 05:57 PM
We gotta bombard Noel's agent to get the Spurs to sign him.

Because Noel's agent can force the Spurs to offer his client a contract?

TPark, I'm not sure where you're going here.

If the Spurs are interested in Noel and think that there's a way to make a deal work out, I suspect they'll pursue that. If not, they won't, regardless of anything that Noel's agent might do.

And, if I were Noel's agent, I'd recommend that he do what was best for him. At this point, that would probably be finding a situation where he can play regularly. Honestly, I don't think that's likely to be the case in San Antonio right now.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2006, 06:00 PM
He has two offers from Euroleague teams. After being told from the Sonics, they will likely keep guards and that he had a chance (but no guarantee) to make the team, we spent the last two days contemplating/discussing what he should do. In the end, we decided last night that he should request to be released from the Sonics - which he did this morning.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Because Noel's agent can force the Spurs to offer his client a contract?

TPark, I'm not sure where you're going here.

If the Spurs are interested in Noel and think that there's a way to make a deal work out, I suspect they'll pursue that. If not, they won't, regardless of anything that Noel's agent might do.

And, if I were Noel's agent, I'd recommend that he do what was best for him. At this point, that would probably be finding a situation where he can play regularly. Honestly, I don't think that's likely to be the case in San Antonio right now.

Man, if he can go overseas and make the type of impression he did in the CBA, he could come back next season and really get a good chance at a guaranteed contract.

Bruno
10-09-2006, 06:09 PM
It's quite sad for him that Sonics haven't decided to keep him for the whole year but Sonics' Front Office has acted with some class by requesting his demand to be waived now : they allow him to get a good contract in europe.

He is now on the waivers for 48 hours and I can imagine that some teams will be interested to pick him up mainly because he has a non-guaranteed contract. The worst case for him would be to be picked by a team that has no real interest to keep him this season and that will cut him too late to allow him to sign with a team in europe. I guess that his agent will ask to teams that have no real interest in him not to pick him up from waivers.

FromWayDowntown
10-09-2006, 06:10 PM
He is now on the waivers for 48 years

Poor Noel -- now he'll never get his chance. Those waiver rules are quite restrictive.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
It's quite sad for him that Sonics haven't decided to keep him for the whole year but Sonics' Front Office has acted with some class by requesting his demand to be waived now : they allow him to get a good contract in europe.

He is now on the waivers for 48 years and I can imagine that some teams will be interested to pick him up mainly because he has a non-guaranteed contract. The worst case for him would be to be picked by a team that has no real interest to keep him this season and that will cut him too late to allow him to sign with a team in europe. I guess that his agent will ask to teams that have no real interest in him not to pick him up from waivers.

Well, when he clears waivers in 48 years, his grandchild will hopefully be able to sign with a team. :lol

Just kidding, we knew what you meant.

angel_luv
10-09-2006, 06:33 PM
He has two offers from Euroleague teams. After being told from the Sonics, they will likely keep guards and that he had a chance (but no guarantee) to make the team, we spent the last two days contemplating/discussing what he should do. In the end, we decided last night that he should request to be released from the Sonics - which he did this morning.

I am sure Noel is going to play somewhere great. I look forward to seeing where. :)

ducks
10-09-2006, 06:41 PM
maybe he and beno can be teamates

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
maybe he and beno can be teamates

I wouldn't wish that on Noel.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't wish that on Noel.

:lol

They were teammates on summer league 2004. They actually like each other.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-09-2006, 07:11 PM
:lol

They were teammates on summer league 2004. They actually like each other.

Hopefully not in a man purse/Capri pants type of way

spurschick
10-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I really think that this opens up a fantastic opportunity for him to get some valuable PT in Europe and then come back to the NBA in a year or two. That is, if he wants to come back. He may absolutely love it over there.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2006, 07:31 PM
I really think that this opens up a fantastic opportunity for him to get some valuable PT in Europe and then come back to the NBA in a year or two. That is, if he wants to come back. He may absolutely love it over there.

He's already played in Europe and hates it. At most, he wants to spend a year there. But I agree the experience and playing time on a top level team should be good for him.

spurschick
10-09-2006, 07:37 PM
He's already played in Europe and hates it. At most, he wants to spend a year there. But I agree the experience and playing time on a top level team should be good for him.

Ah, didn't know he'd been there before. A year will go by quickly enough and I'm sure that someone here will pick him up.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Ploto - not to be picky, but the subject, "Felix requests to be waived from the Sonics", suggests that Noel REQUESTED to be waived. In fact, it is the other way around, the Sonics REQUESTED the waiver, so the title should be "Sonics request Felix be waived". The two statements have very different meanings.

I'm not picking on you, just trying to be helpful for the future. ;)

Kori Ellis
10-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Ploto - not to be picky, but the subject, "Felix requests to be waived from the Sonics", suggests that Noel REQUESTED to be waived. In fact, it is the other way around, the Sonics REQUESTED the waiver, so the title should be "Sonics request Felix be waived". The two statements have very different meanings.

I'm not picking on you, just trying to be helpful for the future. ;)

Actually you are wrong. I changed the title to what it is now. Noel REQUESTED to be released from the Sonics so that he could be waived this morning. So they granted his request and they waived him.

boutons_
10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
It hardly matter who requested the waiving.

Noel's request doesn't mean the Sonics loved him and wanted him to stay.
It probably means he wasn't feeling any love and thought he could find more love and action elsewhere.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2006, 08:23 PM
It hardly matter who requested the waiving.

Noel's request doesn't mean the Sonics loved him and wanted him to stay.
It probably means he wasn't feeling any love and thought he could find more love and action elsewhere.

I can tell you exactly what it means, as I've logged about 20 hours on the phone in the last four days regarding it.

The Sonics have 12 guys guaranteed on their roster and are lacking guards. They told Noel that the 13th spot will go to a guard and because the ownership change, they have no idea if they can carry 14 until after Oct 24th. So Noel, his agent and I weighed all the options and decided that it might be in his best interest to consider the Euroleague contracts.

Yesterday Ray Allen, Dave Pendergraft and other Sonics brass told him they still thought he should wait out preseason and that they Sonics would likely keep him. Pendergraft called it a "great shot" that he'd make their roster.

However, we still felt because of the chance he'd get cut late (after Oct 24) and end up with no alternatives (Maccabi's deal would be gone by then), that he should go in this morning and request the release.

He did so. Sund was hesitant but understood his position.

I've been on the phone with Noel, agents, people in Europe, etc for the last 3 or 4 days. It's killing him to have to leave the Sonics, but he's trying to do what is best for his future.

Das Texan
10-09-2006, 08:40 PM
hopefully we find a way to bring him back to san antonio sometime next summer.

SenorSpur
10-09-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm out the loop on this guy. Who is he and why has he been so heavily debated?

Kori Ellis
10-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm out the loop on this guy. Who is he and why has he been so heavily debated?

He's my closest friend (outside my husband) and he was in Spurs camp a few years ago. He's a good guy and a borderline NBA player who works his ass off to get better. It's not really a Spurs topic, we just talk about him because he's my friend.

SenorSpur
10-09-2006, 09:43 PM
He's my closest friend (outside my husband) and he was in Spurs camp a few years ago. He's a good guy and a borderline NBA player who works his ass off to get better. It's not really a Spurs topic, we just talk about him because he's my friend.

Thanks for the explanation Kori. BTW, since you know him well, do you believe he'll turn out to be an adequate player in this league? Also any chance the Spurs would give him another look in the future?

Kori Ellis
10-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the explanation Kori. BTW, since you know him well, do you believe he'll turn out to be an adequate player in this league? Also any chance the Spurs would give him another look in the future?

I think he'll be a good role player (10-12? mpg) in the NBA by next year. He's 10 x better player now than he was 2 years ago. He's a great defender already (he won DPOY in the CBA last year) and he was primarily a post player on O. But the Sonics had been trying to convert him to a 3. So he has a decent outside shot now. If he makes the NBA, it will be for defense though. He's a great leaper, a hell of a shot blocker, and can guard guys bigger and smaller than himself. If he keeps working hard, he'll become a decent role player somewhere in the NBA.

SequSpur
10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Dude should go try out for another NBA team instead of the Sonics.

SenorSpur
10-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a guy that fits the Spurs mold. I would have loved to have seen him participate in Summer League play. Perhaps the Spurs should tab as a future developmental player, as the Sonics did. If they're not interested, I'll bet Avery would. He seemingly loves players like this and I wouldn't be surprised if he gave him a look somewhere down the line.

While on that subject, I'm concerned that the Spurs don't have enough of these types of young, developing, athletic-type players in their D-league. They don't seem to be as active in mining the domestic talent as much as they are in the international leagues.

gospursgojas
10-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Spurs Fan that is not a Spurstalk member:

Who the hell is Noel Felix???

--------------------------------------------
Calm down about the guy

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Sounds like a guy that fits the Spurs mold. I would have loved to have seen him participate in Summer League play. Perhaps the Spurs should tab as a future developmental player, as the Sonics did. If they're not interested, I'll bet Avery would. He seemingly loves players like this and I wouldn't be surprised if he gave him a look somewhere down the line.

While on that subject, I'm concerned that the Spurs don't have enough of these types of young, developing, athletic-type players in their D-league. They don't seem to be as active in mining the domestic talent as much as they are in the international leagues.

He has played for Spurs summer league

Sense
10-10-2006, 01:22 AM

So you've met an NBA player.... and you've seen him play in person..

Yep you must be legit.

Sense
10-10-2006, 01:23 AM

umm...

Ur his agent?

lol

BeerIsGood!
10-10-2006, 01:24 AM
Hopefully your friend will find a place to play in the NBA, but if not hopefully he will be successful outside of sports.

shaggy17
10-10-2006, 01:26 AM
I think he'll be a good role player (10-12? mpg) in the NBA by next year. He's 10 x better player now than he was 2 years ago. He's a great defender already (he won DPOY in the CBA last year) and he was primarily a post player on O. But the Sonics had been trying to convert him to a 3. So he has a decent outside shot now. If he makes the NBA, it will be for defense though. He's a great leaper, a hell of a shot blocker, and can guard guys bigger and smaller than himself. If he keeps working hard, he'll become a decent role player somewhere in the NBA.

Isnt this the type of long 3 you want us to get? I know I do! From what you have said about him he seems like the perfect Bowen replacement! I wish we at least try to get him or take a look at him and not pass him up like we did Jumaine Jones.

T Park
10-10-2006, 01:40 AM
wish we at least try to get him or take a look at him and not pass him up like we did Jumaine Jones.

Hes been through training camp.

They know about him.

And if Jumaine Jones was so great, why didnt the Spurs try after him?

Oh yeah.....

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Hes been through training camp.

They know about him.

And if Jumaine Jones was so great, why didnt the Spurs try after him?

Oh yeah.....

Oh, yeah, what?

Unless Jumaine Jones died over the summer, you might need to fill us in on the "quite obvious" insight the "oh, yeah" warrants.

T Park
10-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Means he might not be as great as everyone thinks he is.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Means he might not be as great as everyone thinks he is.

And you're basing that on what? That the Spurs didn't go after him?

Kori Ellis
10-10-2006, 01:48 AM
umm...

Ur his agent?

lol

:lol No,I had a little more say in it than his agent did.

Isnt this the type of long 3 you want us to get? I know I do! From what you have said about him he seems like the perfect Bowen replacement! I wish we at least try to get him or take a look at him and not pass him up like we did Jumaine Jones.

Well I think Noel is still a power forward. But yes, the Sonics have been trying to convert him into the type of player that the Spurs eventually need.

Kori Ellis
10-10-2006, 01:50 AM
I think the Spurs didn't go after Jumaine Jones because they are 14 deep. I don't expect the Spurs will have a 15th player this season unless someone comes out and is just awesome in preseason.

T Park
10-10-2006, 02:34 AM
And you're basing that on what? That the Spurs didn't go after him?

Johnny's new hobby, riding my ass.

Im basing it on, that the Bobcats didn't make much of an effort to bring him back, the Lakers, who needed scorers and defenders on the wing, traded him for nothing.

So I guess I have nothing to base it on.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Johnny's new hobby, riding my ass.

Im basing it on, that the Bobcats didn't make much of an effort to bring him back, the Lakers, who needed scorers and defenders on the wing, traded him for nothing.

So I guess I have nothing to base it on.

Well, gaw-lee Eric, was it that hard to just say that?

ChumpDumper
10-10-2006, 02:46 AM
It's entirely possible the Spurs worte off any guys they thought wouldn't get the kind of minutes vets would want considering the existing roster.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2006, 02:52 AM
And getting back to Noel, if the timing was better the Spurs should have jumped on Noel. Unfortunately the only way the timing could be right is if he chose to stay in the states and didn't make the Sonics. That's difficult to expect a guy to do when he has a nice guaranteed deal sitting on the table. As it is he's more athletic than Rich Melzer and has a better perimeter game than Jamar Smith. He is, at present, a poor man's Derrick McKey which is precisely the best we could hope for at this time. Maybe our paths will cross again -- until then, good luck, Noel. I'm sure we'll be seeing you again.

Bruno
10-10-2006, 07:08 AM
http://www.maccabi.co.il/News.asp?ID=770&language=english

Noel Felix signed for 2 years

Maccabi Tel Aviv completed its roster by signing the athletic forward (25, 2.06 meters) of Seattle Supersonics
10/10/2006

Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv completed its roster for the 2006/07 season by signing forward Noel Felix (25, 2.06 meter) from Seattle Supersonics.
Felix will join the team next week in Cleveland. Felix is a great athlete, who has consistently excelled at the defensive end of the floor. In March 2006 he joined the Sonics and played 12 games with averages of 1.5 points and 1.1 rebounds per game.he participated in Seattle summer camp and was very impressive.
Felix, playing as a power forward, grew up in Inglewood, California, in the shadow of the fabulous Forum, once the home of the Los Angeles Lakers. In his senior year at high school he guided his team to a 30-4 record while averaging 15 points, 11 rebounds and 5 blocks. He played 4 seasons at Fresno State in college basketball, where he averaged 8.5 points and 4.8 rebounds in his senior year.
In 2003/04 he played at China for the Shanghai Sharks and then returned to the states to play in the CBA for Idaho. He led Idaho to the 2004 CBA finals.
In 2004/05 he played in Italy for Carife Ferrara and in the Philippine basketball league. He finished the year in the CBA playing for Yakama (15.7 points and 7.4 rebounds) and electing to the CBA all-defensive team. The 2005/06 season he started at Sioux Falls from the CBA averaging 15.7 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks (leading the league). He was selected for the CBA All-star game and at March signed by Seattle from the NBA. Felix also played for the USA basketball world championships qualifying team

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/1461/180/maccabi-signs-forward-felix

Although he won't be available for the last games of NBA Europe Live in Cologne, Germany, Euroleague runners-up Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv have the big man they were looking for. He is Noel Felix, a power forward who played last season with Seattle of the NBA. Felix (25, 206) was seen by new Maccabi head coach Neven Spahija during the Rocky Mountain Summer League in Utah, when Spahija was sitting on the bench of the San Antonio Spurs team there as an assistant. Spahija said that Felix is an athletic leaper, rebounder and shot-blocker who can put the ball on the floor. Felix spent the latter part of last season with Seattle, averaging 1.5 points and 1.1 rebounds in 6.8 minutes per game. He had previously played for the Shanghai Sharks in China, the Idaho Stampede of the CBA and Carife Ferrara of Italy, among other teams. He was named to the CBA all-defensive team two seasons ago and to the CBA all-star team last season. He also played for the U.S. entry in 2005 FIBA Americas Men's World Championship Qualifying Tournament. Felix will join the team in Cleveland, where Maccabi plays the Cavaliers this weekend before

Kori Ellis
10-10-2006, 07:11 AM
He hasn't really signed yet (though they are announcing it). They gave him the preliminary offer and he has intent to sign but he has to clear waivers, then they are still negotiating some things (bonuses, guarantees, etc). The second year will be Maccabi's option with a buyout.

We are having a conversation today (I said we because it will be a conference call with me and him) with the overseas agent about the details. He won't officially be signed until he meets with the people from Maccabi in person.

gus
10-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Go for itĦĦĦĦĦ.-

Maccabi is the best team ( financially ) in the Euroleague. Besides they are the most competitive team in the last years.

However this year much of the good players have departed Jasikevicius, Baston etc.

Gus

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Actually you are wrong. I changed the title to what it is now. Noel REQUESTED to be released from the Sonics so that he could be waived this morning. So they granted his request and they waived him.

Fair enough, but it's confusing when you then read the OP, so you can see why I said what I said.

Anyway, no harm no foul. :lol

Obstructed_View
10-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey maybe Maccabi can throw him in on that Beno trade...

:)

Solid D
10-13-2006, 01:08 AM
24sec.net European Basketball site giving Noel some pub.

http://www.24sec.net/news.asp

http://www.24sec.net/images/graphics/641.jpg

ploto
10-14-2006, 04:44 PM
How is this Spurs related??