PDA

View Full Version : Joe Biden, Chuck Hagel, John McCain Tapped For Possible Kerry Cabinet Positions

Nbadan
10-29-2004, 03:07 PM
The man whose presidential ambitions were destroyed when he plagiarised Neil Kinnock is set to become America’s chief foreign policymaker if John Kerry is elected President next Tuesday.

Senator Joseph Biden of Delaware has been asked by Mr Kerry to become Secretary of State in a Democratic administration, according to Kerry campaign aides. Mr Biden, the leading Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for the past four years, ran for President in 1988. His campaign ended abruptly when it was revealed that a key element of his stump speech had been lifted directly from Mr Kinnock’s general election speeches in 1987.

But Mr Biden has since emerged as a leading foreign policy figure in the Democratic party and is expected to take the job offered by Mr Kerry unless political factors intervene. Were the Democrats to retake control of the Senate, he might prefer to remain as a lawmaker, but those who know him think that unlikely.

Mr Biden’s possible elevation is one of the thousands of permutations circulating in Washington in the final days before the presidential election. If Mr Biden does go to the State Department it will be a disappointment for Richard Holbrooke, the UN Ambassador during the Clinton Administration and the architect of the Dayton peace accords that ended the Bosnian war in 1995. Mr Holbrooke has lobbied hard for the Secretary of State ’s job. But in what will be seen as both an effort to conciliate the famously self-confident Mr Holbrooke, and as a signal change from Bush administration policy, Mr Kerry is likely to offer him the job of special Middle East peace co-ordinator, senior Democrats say.

Mr Kerry plans to announce both appointments soon after the election as a sign of the urgency he assigns to mending diplomatic fences.

<snip>

One puzzle for the Democratic team is the Pentagon. Mr Kerry is understood to want his friend John McCain, the Arizona senator, to be Defence Secretary. But Mr McCain is believed to be reluctant. The confirmed maverick might fit uncomfortably even in his close friend’s administration. If the Republicans keep control of the Senate, the Arizona senator will take the powerful job of chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Another possibility is Chuck Hagel, the Nebraska senator, also a Republican. Mr Kerry is said to be intent on removing Porter Goss, who was confirmed as the head of the CIA only this month. A candidate to replace him is Bob Graham, the retiring Florida senator.

Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1334724,00.html)

Clandestino
10-29-2004, 03:12 PM
kerry keeps dropping mccain's name all the time... it is funny because McCain is VOTING FOR BUSH!!!

whottt
10-29-2004, 05:01 PM
McCain is also the original POW to say Kerry's anti-war activities hurt the POW's and the morale of the troops.

McCain was saying this as he got off the boat from Vietnam 30 years ago. McCain has told Kerry to fuck off repeatedly when Kerry has tried to leech off McCains true war heroism to benefit his own traitorous political career.

McCain isn't crazy about Bush...a lot of veterans aren't...but the majority of them support Bush over their so called brother in arms...I wonder why.

McCain = Not a traitor.

Kerry = Traitor.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2004, 05:16 PM
McCain is just the name Kerry drops whenever he feels he needs to get a little more of the centrist base going his way.

Mark in Austin
10-29-2004, 05:45 PM
You might read a little from McCain's books. He and Kerry are good friends who gained a tremendous amount of respect for each other as they worked together on Vietnam issues in the Senate.

McCain will vote for Bush, but that doesn't invalidate his ties to Kerry.

Hook Dem
10-29-2004, 06:08 PM
You might read a little from McCain's books. He and Kerry are good friends who gained a tremendous amount of respect for each other as they worked together on Vietnam issues in the Senate.

McCain will vote for Bush, but that doesn't invalidate his ties to Kerry.
Well, what does that really say Mark?

NeoConIV
10-29-2004, 06:14 PM
His campaign ended abruptly when it was revealed that a key element of his stump speech had been lifted directly from Mr Kinnock’s general election speeches in 1987.
I have several times wondered aloud on this board why Biden didn't get the nod, he was an obvious choice for me if I was a demo. There's my answer I guess. I've heard Biden speak on Frontline and elsewhere and as long as he speaks on his own and not tow the line as he has done understandably of late, he's good. Real good. I would sleep ALOT better if this was a Bush/Biden showdown.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2004, 06:25 PM
McCain's great friends with Kerry but he's voting for Bush? WTF is that?

That's like saying me and one of my friends are best friends but I'm fucking his girlfriend.