PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs get time to shake off jet lag from France

Solid D
10-10-2006, 12:52 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101006.1D.spurs.2df4591.html

Web Posted: 10/09/2006 11:50 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

With his evening's work done and the Spurs less than three minutes from completing their victory over Maccabi Tel Aviv, Tim Duncan walked off the court Sunday in Paris and uttered the three words everyone wanted to hear:
We're going home.

The Spurs returned from their nine-day trip to France on Monday evening, happy to be back on familiar ground — and even happier to know they will be staying awhile.

"My biggest fear is trying to get back on my regular schedule and get my body feeling right," Robert Horry said. "That's going to be the biggest key."

The Spurs should have enough time to recover from their travels. They will take today off, don't play again until Saturday when Orlando visits the AT&T Center and then get another four-day break.

The Spurs also won't have to leave the state again until the first week of the regular season. Of their remaining five exhibition games, the lone one on the road is in Houston.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he was pleased with what the team accomplished in France. Training camp in Lyon proved rugged enough considering the gym the Spurs used was considerably warmer than their own practice facility.

Popovich's decision to prioritize winning the two games against international teams, Tony Parker said, also could accelerate the team's usual preparation process.

"It takes time to get over the jet lag," Duncan said, "but I think we did as good a job as we could."

The coaches got a decent look at the new players during practice, but Popovich played his starters a bit more than usual this early in the preseason. The personal appearances Parker and some of his teammates made for the NBA and its sponsors also cut back the team's usual workload.

"It was much easier to concentrate at the game," Popovich said, "than it was at the wax museum."

Now back home, the Spurs should be better equipped to focus on development.

"We didn't have the ability to do all the things the coaches really want us to do because of the travel and being in a foreign situation," Horry said. "I think it might have put us back a little bit, but it won't hurt us. We started (camp) earlier than most teams, so it will probably pan out in the end."

Matt Bonner played 23 minutes in the two games, but said he benefited as much from watching the Spurs' regulars. Popovich briefly chewed on him for being in the wrong place during a play in Sunday's fourth quarter, and told him to consult Horry for advice. After returning to the floor, Bonner helped close the game with a pair of late 3-pointers.

"Training camp isn't about me making those two shots," Bonner said. "It's about me trying to learn the system, on offense and defense. I'm just going to keep my eyes and ears open and be a human sponge.

"For me, I can learn just as much on the bench from Robert and everything he's doing out there. So when I get my chance to play, I can try to implement those things."

After traveling abroad for three of the past four years, the Spurs may be more likely to spend next season's training camp at home. But Popovich also appreciated participating in the first year of the NBA's Europe Live program.

"Some teams may not want to do it because they think they'll get too tired," he said. "But I think there's a definite benefit in the sense there's a chance for camaraderie. The team gets to know each other away from home.

"I think it pays dividends down the road."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
San Antonio Express-News

BeerIsGood!
10-10-2006, 12:55 AM
I guess nobody can say Bonner isn't trying. I like his approach

Solid D
10-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Tony Parker said, (it) also could accelerate the team's usual preparation process.

Horry said. "I think it might have put us back a little bit, but it won't hurt us."

BeerIsGood!
10-10-2006, 01:07 AM
This team is squarely on the same page. Essential for Western Conference Dominance...

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Horry said. "I think it might have put us back a little bit, but it won't hurt us."

Except of course for Beno of course, I'm sure he will some how blame an injury on it

Solid D
10-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Tony Parker said, (it) also could accelerate the team's usual preparation process.

Possible interpretation...Tony's body is fine. Robert's body is not fine. :lol

milkyway21
10-10-2006, 01:21 AM
The coaches got a decent look at the new players during practice, but Popovich played his starters a bit more than usual this early in the preseasonhmmn, speaking of starters, it seems Oberto (9 pts on 4-7; 10 rbds-6 off), got pretty decent 22 minutes and Butler on DNP. He:D he:D is this the answer to the vBookie?

freemeat
10-10-2006, 03:38 AM
Most definitely the team to beat this year. Even though they've gotten a year older, does this not seem like the best team the franchise has ever had?

Also, I like that Horry is taking on the mentor role. Even though his body is breaking down, it seems like he's gonna be that "locker room" kind of guy who helps to unite the team and help incorporate the new guys. I was kind of skeptical about him signing a 3 year deal last season, but even if he retires after this season, it seems like it was a good deal...especially if Pop starts playing guys like Finley, Williams and Bonner behind Timmy. It should allow Big Shot to get the rest during the regular season he wasn't able to get last year. Which is another point -- with TD fully recovered, Horry won't have to take up so many minutes filling in. He can use his floor time to hone and maintain his shot.

The plan last year was to use him sparingly and be ready for the playoffs. Knock on wood, but it seems like that will actually be the case this season.

All in all, I don't see anyone competing with this team. The Suns will be hungry, but even Dallas won't be able to hang with the '06-'07 Spurs. After all, when was the last time we saw Tony Parker playing at the level he is currently at WITH Manu and Timmy completely healthy? Never. It's dangerous...and I'm excited. If you're not on this bandwagon, grab a beer and jump on board. It's gonna be a fun season. 65 wins...

Mr. Body
10-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Most definitely the team to beat this year. Even though they've gotten a year older, does this not seem like the best team the franchise has ever had?

To be honest, not many people would make this claim.

T Park
10-10-2006, 04:25 AM
Yeah.

Had Javtokas signed?

WHEWWWWWWWWW

Unbeatable.

polandprzem
10-10-2006, 04:45 AM
Mission acoplished

I think that was one of the best offseason thus far (if not the best) - the relax and work and learning process. Comfortable and calm in France for Pop and training staff.

So I hope the whole season will go as we want.

Slomo
10-10-2006, 05:03 AM
"It was much easier to concentrate at the game," Popovich said, "than it was at the wax museum."
:lol

OK we need a picture of Pop with Tony's statue!

freemeat
10-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Mission acoplished

I think that was one of the best offseason thus far (if not the best) - the relax and work and learning process. Comfortable and calm in France for Pop and training staff.

So I hope the whole season will go as we want.

I agree 100%. They didn't really need to shake it up too much considering they had the best record in franshise history last year and lost in OT in game 7. The west just got a little stronger, and Avery leaked some not-so-secrets to the Mavs (like how to play D). Spurs counter with going a bit smaller, so it's all good. Tony is playing phenomenal ball now and Timmy and Manu are in good health. I can't think of a time where the team has been any better.

angel_luv
10-10-2006, 09:45 AM
The team is back home- yea! :)

I go back to work on Saturday. :elephant

Kibic
10-10-2006, 10:28 AM
"Training camp isn't about me making those two shots," Bonner said. "It's about me trying to learn the system, on offense and defense. I'm just going to keep my eyes and ears open and be a human sponge.

"For me, I can learn just as much on the bench from Robert and everything he's doing out there. So when I get my chance to play, I can try to implement those things."

Well this is something I just start to understand...I thnik of it as a big difference between NBA and Europe BB. Guy actualy try to repeat the things someone else has done on court!
He doesn't have his own opinion on some moves....just the system.... That say's a lot. There is no general background....just those 110 actions...
:angel