PDA

View Full Version : anyone with ESPN insider?

zocool16
10-10-2006, 03:53 AM
if you'd be so polite, there are a couple of articles on the spurs on the NBA page on ESPN. Could someone with Insider please post them? thank you

Kori Ellis
10-10-2006, 03:55 AM
Duncan, Ginobili take different roads to campBy Ian Whittell
Special to ESPN.com
Archive

Five observations from Spurs camp:

1. All rest and no play. Manu Ginobili played for his country this summer, Tim Duncan did not. So which player benefited most from that arrangement? Both, according to coach Gregg Popovich.

Last season, the pair was hobbled by injuries: Duncan struggled with debilitating plantar fasciitis and a variety of ailments kept Ginobili out of 17 games. Yet both reported to preseason camp in excellent health.

"[Duncan] needed rest for his foot and he is in the best shape he's been in the last five or six years," Popovich said. "His foot is fine, so the break was great for him.

"Manu, I can't explain it to you other than Manu and Tim are very different. Manu has got to keep playing, he has problems if he stops. He's got to be in his rhythm, got to keep taking his shots, keep playing. Odd as it sounds, Manu needs to keep playing, Tim needs to rest."

Nevertheless, Ginobili suffered a painful blow to his hip during Thursday's victory over Asvel Villeurbanne, although it did not keep him out of Sunday's win over Maccabi Tel Aviv in which he played 23 minutes.

"We've got to figure out a way to get some meat on that body," said Popovich, referencing Ginobili's penchant for putting his body on the line on a nightly basis. "He feels those elbows too much."

2. To the point. Think Popovich is frustrated by backup point guard Beno Udrih's lack of durability? He is not the only one.

Udrih, 24, was expected to emerge, unopposed, as the second point guard on the roster this preseason, but a persistent hamstring injury has seen his role in France reduced to that of spectator.

Currently, he stands -- or should that be limps? -- behind Jacque Vaughn and Brent Barry in the competition to mop up the expected 10-13 minutes a game that Tony Parker will not spend on the floor during the regular season.

"Last year I was sick once, I had a toe infection," Udrih said. "I was hurt the first year in training camp. I totally understand [Popovich], he wants all his players [healthy], but I'm not happy, either.

"I would rather be out on the court than watching my teammates practice. If anybody is frustrated, it is me. I hope I get back as soon as possible. I am just trying to work hard and do everything to stay healthy."

After the disaster of last year's Nick Van Exel experiment, Udrih was in pole position to replace him as Parker's backup. But after playing in the World Championship, he felt his right hamstring pop during the sprinting drills he does as part of his Spurs offseason training program.

Udrih now concedes he tried to come back too soon from the initial tear after two weeks and aggravated the injury.

"At least when I go back to San Antonio I can start working on strengthening it and, hopefully, I'll be playing in a week," the Slovenian said.

Still, it was hard not to recall Popovich's response when quizzed about Udrih earlier in the week: "He's the fourth point guard on our team now. Give me a break."

3. New kids on the block. Second-year Spur Michael Finley can empathize with the 10 players on the 20-man roster who are new to the team this preseason.

"It's been a slow process for them," Finley said. "Coming in last year, I was trying to learn a new system so I know what they're going through and I'm pretty sympathetic when it comes to them trying to learn and fit in. They're trying to pick things up and they're doing it slowly but surely.

"It is not that it is a difficult system to learn, but it is a smart, from a basketball sense, system. What Pop does is put you in situations to flourish. Everything is based around Tim [Duncan] and Tony [Parker], to a certain extent. Everybody else picks their spots so you have to be mentally prepared when your number is called."

With the loss of Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic, that transition has been most keenly felt within the ranks of the big men, where the likes of Matt Bonner, Jackie Butler and Francisco Elson have been competing for time with Fabricio Oberto, the Argentine who saw limited service with the Spurs last season.

4. Bruce Almighty. Don't expect Bruce Bowen to gain extra inspiration from his idle summer.

Many observers thought Bowen's defensive skills and all-around experience were badly missing on the USA's World Championship roster in Japan. But Popovich sees no reason why the snub should have any effect on his play -- good or bad.

"That's got nothing to do with it," Popovich said. "Bruce is the consummate professional, his job is with the San Antonio Spurs.

"He doesn't really need to prove anything to anybody. He has been a champion, an All-League defender, that's what he does and what we expect of him."

5. The big question. The big question at the Spurs' French training camp -- apart from "Is Eva here yet?" -- has revolved around the center position.

Oberto started there in Thursday's exhibition opener, but Bonner, Butler and Elson have all been mentioned as potential fives.

There is also a growing body of evidence, based on their playoff exit to a "small ball" Dallas Mavericks lineup, that Duncan will see more time at that position than in any other season to date.

"I don't know if we know who is going to start, we're four days into practice, nothing is determined," GM R.C. Buford said. "But since David Robinson retired, Tim has played double-digit minutes at the five ever since.

"I think the longer we go into Tim's career, that's going to be the reality of our situation. Having said that, we hope to be versatile enough that we can play big or small during the time when Tim is at the five. We're pretty open-minded."

Bonus observation: Food for thought

Popovich has been criticized in some quarters in Europe for his constant references to the wine and food he has enjoyed while in France.

Admittedly, Pop has set a never-to-be-beaten NBA record for the use of the word "gastronomical" this week, but the knock that he is more interested in treating camp as a French vacation and less as a serious sporting endeavor is totally wide of the mark.

Euros are often quick to accuse Americans abroad of lacking refinement and culture and Popovich has made every effort to fly in the face of that stereotype and share the French love of the finer things in life.

"The best thing about Paris? The gastronomical experience," he said after Saturday's practice, not for the first time.

"Stopping by the cafes, finding a good wine that you can't get in the States. We had some wine last night that you can't find on a wine list in New York or San Francisco or Chicago. That was really nice."

But Popovich has not been slow to show that behind the public relations savoir faire, there is also the steely grit and determination that has made him such a perennial winner.

"I haven't played our new guys too much," he said when quizzed about the 10 new faces on his roster. "We'll get time to look at them later in the month in the States. For now, we're taking these games seriously. We're playing good teams and we're trying to win."

Kori Ellis
10-10-2006, 03:58 AM
Notes from Spurs camp
by: John Hollinger
posted: Friday, October 6, 2006
VILLERBAUNE, France -- On Thursday night, San Antonio thumped French club Adecco ASVEL 115-90 behind Tony Parker, who started fast and scored 26 points. To judge from the Spurs' first preseason game, Parker's broken finger is fine. You can see my full story here.

Other observations from Spurs camp:

• The surprise winner of the competition for the starting center spot may be Fabricio Oberto, who has had a very strong camp and started in the game on Thursday.

• My ride on the Jackie Butler bandwagon might be a lonely one for a while longer. He's in better shape but is still trying to pick up all the things the Spurs ask of their bigs defensively, and appears to be behind Oberto and Francisco Elson in the pecking order at the moment. Butler didn't appear until the fourth quarter Thursday and didn't get a chance to show much with the trapezoid lane reducing the value of his post skills.

• One of my first sights in the Astroballe (the arena) was the retired No.4 jersey -- belonging to Delaney Rudd. Who knew?

• One interesting development was how often the Spurs went small with either Michael Finley or Melvin Sanders as the de facto power forward. In the wake of what happened against Dallas a year ago, the Spurs could play small much more often this season.

• Surprisingly, the Spurs didn't seem concerned with Manu Ginobili spending the summer playing for Argentina. One team official compared him to a musician, saying he needs to keep playing constantly to stay "in tune" because of the way he plays.

• Finally, guess which team started more Americans?

The Spurs had only Bruce Bowen, while Adecco played Brian Greene and Chevon Troutman. If you want to extend the comparision to North Americans to include Tim Duncan it still holds up, as Adecco also started a Canadian. International basketball truly has come full circle.

Kori Ellis
10-10-2006, 03:58 AM
Is that all you wanted?

zocool16
10-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Yes thanx a lot kori

Slomo
10-10-2006, 04:56 AM

The Spurs had only Bruce Bowen, while Adecco played Brian Greene and Chevon Troutman. If you want to extend the comparision to North Americans to include Tim Duncan it still holds up, as Adecco also started a Canadian. International basketball truly has come full circle.That's funny!

boutons_
10-10-2006, 09:21 AM
"never-to-be-beaten NBA record for the use of the word "gastronomical" "

what record is that? number of syllables?

ducks
10-10-2006, 09:23 AM
The surprise winner of the competition for the starting center spot may be Fabricio Oberto, who has had a very strong camp and started in the game on Thursday.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-10-2006, 09:31 AM
The surprise winner of the competition for the starting center spot may be Fabricio Oberto, who has had a very strong camp and started in the game on Thursday.seriously, sad state of affairs when you've got Oberto starting as center on your NBA squad. I mean, I like him, I do, but the dude gives new meaning to "white men can't jump". Perhaps if the Spurs change their approach to the game and learn how to utilize his strengths, maybe... but even then... I don't know

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-10-2006, 09:25 PM
seriously, sad state of affairs when you've got Oberto starting as center on your NBA squad. I mean, I like him, I do, but the dude gives new meaning to "white men can't jump". Perhaps if the Spurs change their approach to the game and learn how to utilize his strengths, maybe... but even then... I don't know

That's only to start the season, which is really inconsequential. I think you will see all three guys (Oberto, Elson, Butler) starting at the 5 this season at various times, as it's definitely going to be be centre-by-committee, but I expect that Butler will be playing 24 minutes by March once he has adjusted to the system (assuming his basketball IQ is up to scratch) - he has too much talent not to become an important role player for us.

However, since he is a true low-post player, starting him is probably not the way to go - he'll probably become the big guy out there when Tim sits as he adjusts to Spurs ball.

Obstructed_View
10-10-2006, 09:35 PM
seriously, sad state of affairs when you've got Oberto starting as center on your NBA squad. I mean, I like him, I do, but the dude gives new meaning to "white men can't jump". Perhaps if the Spurs change their approach to the game and learn how to utilize his strengths, maybe... but even then... I don't know
It's not really surprising that Oberto knows the plays better than the two new guys. They'll get moved up as the year progresses, and hopefully the Spurs will be able to fit Oberto's strengths into the rotation.

PlaneFast
10-10-2006, 10:51 PM

The Spurs had only Bruce Bowen, while Adecco played Brian Greene and Chevon Troutman. If you want to extend the comparision to North Americans to include Tim Duncan it still holds up, as Adecco also started a Canadian. International basketball truly has come full circle.

Since Duncan played for Team USA, I believe he would be considered an American too. A bit of journalistic license.

Kori Ellis
10-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Since Duncan played for Team USA, I believe he would be considered an American too. A bit of journalistic license.

Yes he's definitely American. He was born in the U.S. Virgin Islands. But the NBA lists him on their "foreign players" list, so that's probably what most journalists use.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-11-2006, 02:00 AM
In my opinion Insider is a rip off.