PDA

View Full Version : Wow, like we didn't see this one coming

sandman
10-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Imagin that, one of the Rocket's studs already injured.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4247414.html

Oct. 10, 2006, 7:50AM
Yao can't shake toe woe
Removal of nail will sideline center for week to 10 days

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

On the day Rockets center Yao Ming was expected back on the court, he was instead in another doctor's office, this time to have his troublesome left big toenail removed.

Rather than coming back Monday or playing in tonight's preseason opener against the Memphis Grizzlies, Yao was declared out for another week to 10 days in the latest round of his ongoing battles with his toenails. He has had a nail removed three times since July 2004. Last season, he developed an infection that required surgery, costing him 21 games.

"I'm told not to be concerned, but every time something happens, it's a longer prognosis than the previous one," coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "We're hoping for the best, certainly. But anyone who is not concerned, anyone who does not have their antenna up, is not seeing the totality of the problem."

Yao went through four practices last week before missing the last two in Austin. He developed bleeding under the nail, which was drained. Yao was not in any pain, but because the nail was certain to fall off, the decision was made to remove it Monday and then shape it as it grows back to try to thwart the problem.

Yet when asked if Yao could have such problems as long as he plays basketball, Rockets trainer Keith Jones said: "It's possible. It's very possible.

"But now with the new nail coming in, we're going to try to keep it trimmed back initially and try to keep it trimmed back even further. Then, with the new shoe, it's got a bigger toe box, a higher toe box. And with the orthotic, when he is repetitively stopping, hopefully it won't be hitting the end of that shoe.

"We're doing everything we can to make it not happen again. We can't say it won't. When he comes back, he's going to be fine."

Including the time Yao already missed, he likely will have been off the court for two weeks and have missed four preseason games when he returns and begins working to get in shape.

Worrisome trend
Yao missed just two games in his first three seasons but went out with the toe infection last season. He also missed the final four games of the season after breaking his left foot. That was enough to create the worrisome prospect of Yao's becoming one of many big men in NBA history limited by inescapable foot problems, a possibility that had Van Gundy renewing his calls that everyone involved with Yao, including his representatives and shoe company, search for a solution.

"Yao is a huge factor in what we're trying to do," Van Gundy said. "His health is a huge factor in us playing well. So I'm just saying, you can make quips and disavow any problem and push the problem to somebody else or something else, or you can take responsibility.

"I think anyone and everyone involved with Yao — our organization and everyone that has a vested interest in Yao — should be searching for solutions instead of saying, 'It's not us. There's nothing wrong with my area.' No one wants to say, 'I'm to blame, and I'm going to get it solved.' "

Reebok officials last week said Yao's shoes are not to blame for his problems, and his agent, John Huizinga, joked that maybe Yao is allergic to Van Gundy. Both pointed out that Yao wore the shoes during the World Championships.

"What does that mean?" Van Gundy said. "That would not be my response. My response would be, 'That is six games, and that has little impact on what's going on now.' My response would be, 'I'm going to look into the problem, and I'm going to try to get the problem fixed.'

"I don't understand some people's reaction. It was going to be Monday he was going to be back on the floor. 'No problem. No problem. No problem.' Now it's 10 days from now."

Yao's toe issues have become such a problem to his teammates that Rafer Alston said he woke up Monday thinking of Yao's condition and Tracy McGrady said he grabbed a pair of Yao's shoes to inspect the rigidity of the toe box.

"We've got to do something about those damn shoes," said McGrady, who endorses adidas. "We've got to do something about those Reebok shoes. I know adidas owns Reebok, but we've got to switch him over. After feeling his shoe this morning — I felt the inside of the toe — it is extremely hard. I felt mine, and mine is pretty soft. I think it's the shoe with all the jamming against the hard shell of the shoe. They have to do something about that, because we need the big fella on the court.

"I would think a guy of his magnitude, of his stature, they would fix his shoe situation so he wouldn't have to deal with that, especially coming into this season when he dealt with it last year. Yao has to really get on them about that."

Not the way to begin day
After a season in which Rockets players had a combined 274 games lost to injuries, Alston said: "I woke up this morning thinking about it. I just hope it's not starting already."

To his coach, however, Yao's problems started at least a year ago. Van Gundy is not sure if the solution has begun.

"Let's get it solved instead of saying, 'It's not a problem,' and 'I'm not to blame,' " Van Gundy said. "My concern for Yao is huge.

"They did the right thing. They took the toenail off. Everybody agrees they did the right thing. My concern is Yao has had a number of foot issues in the last few years, and (another concern is) longevity of a career and durability in that career."

[email protected]

angel_luv
10-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Ouch, that sounds painfuul. Feel better Yao. :)

Kori Ellis
10-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Tracy McGrady said he grabbed a pair of Yao's shoes to inspect the rigidity of the toe box.

"We've got to do something about those damn shoes," said McGrady, who endorses adidas. "We've got to do something about those Reebok shoes. I know adidas owns Reebok, but we've got to switch him over. After feeling his shoe this morning — I felt the inside of the toe — it is extremely hard. I felt mine, and mine is pretty soft. I think it's the shoe with all the jamming against the hard shell of the shoe. They have to do something about that, because we need the big fella on the court.

"I would think a guy of his magnitude, of his stature, they would fix his shoe situation so he wouldn't have to deal with that, especially coming into this season when he dealt with it last year. Yao has to really get on them about that."

That's funny. I wonder if it's actually from the shoes or it's just a problem he's going to have to deal with regardless of what kind of shoes he wears.

sandman
10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Ouch, that sounds painfuul. Feel better Yao. :)

At the beginning of the summer I ripped mine off during a hiking trip. Not just a part, but the whole freaking nail. It is just now grown back out to normal. I feel for him.

Here on the local sports talk radio this toenail is taking center stage. I swear this team either gets exponentially injured more than any other team, or their ability to play hurt is at the Beno Level.

sandman
10-10-2006, 11:08 AM
That's funny. I wonder if it's actually from the shoes or it's just a problem he's going to have to deal with regardless of what kind of shoes he wears.

It's even funnier when you hear the sound bite. They are playing it every 20 miutes. At first you think TMac is joking, but then you realize he is being serious.

rayray2k8
10-10-2006, 11:21 AM
I dont think its his shoes.

Sounds like an ingrown toenailnail where it is poking the side of his skin and if you dont trim that sucker, it starts to swell up and then bleed.
If you ever had one, its not a fun experience. especially when you have to take cut it out.

It might look something like this.
One side shows a bit of swelling, which is what mines looks like sometimes. The other is what happens, if you dont take care of the problem.
(warning, its very graphic.)
http://www.simcoefootclinic.ca/IngrownToenail.htm

freedom&justice
10-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Eew, seriously. I feel for him though..that's gotta hurt big time. Ouch!

leemajors
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
can't they permanently remove the nail? one of my friends had it done in middle school since he was having constant ingrown nails.

sandman
10-10-2006, 04:07 PM
can't they permanently remove the nail? one of my friends had it done in middle school since he was having constant ingrown nails.

Possibly. I know that my nail came off all the way under the cuticle and still grew back.

Here is something from Mario Williams having the nails removed from both of his big toes:

A painful toenail problem after his foot was stepped on during practice has slowed Williams' development in minicamp. The toenails of both big toes were removed and forced Williams to wear cleats with the toe section cut away. He expects to be back at full strength by the end of the month.

"Getting the toenails removed didn't hurt," he says. "Now the shot they give you, that hurts. They put a three-inch needle right in the bone and rotate it around your foot."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/2006-06-20-williams-cover_x.htm

Must be something in the water here in H-town for all of our toenails to start falling off. Probably a vast, right wing conspiracy.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Possibly. I know that my nail came off all the way under the cuticle and still grew back.

Here is something from Mario Williams having the nails removed from both of his big toes:

A painful toenail problem after his foot was stepped on during practice has slowed Williams' development in minicamp. The toenails of both big toes were removed and forced Williams to wear cleats with the toe section cut away. He expects to be back at full strength by the end of the month.

"Getting the toenails removed didn't hurt," he says. "Now the shot they give you, that hurts. They put a three-inch needle right in the bone and rotate it around your foot."

I can vouch for that. Three years ago I was helping my brother move. I accidentally let his sofa down over my big toe. I hurt as hell but I didn't really think anything of it. So it gets swollen and stays swollen for a couple of Weeks. It got to the point were I couldn't walk. So I go to my doctor to have it removed(my toe nail). They really do stick a 3 to 4 inch needle in you( in my case they stuck it in my ankle to get my whole foot numb). I felt it in my bone for a couple of minutes then after it kicked in I couldn't feel anything. That was the hard part, after that when they remove your nail you don't feel a thing that is until the medication wears off.

ChumpDumper
10-11-2006, 02:55 AM
I've never heard of a giant having foot problems.

How bizarre.....