PDA

View Full Version : NBA promises zero tolerance for drama queens

Pistons < Spurs
10-10-2006, 10:21 PM
The NBA might have given its players something to complain about this season -- something other than the new basketball.

In an attempt to get players to curtail post-whistle whining, NBA referee representatives have made the rounds early in training camp to emphasize the league's zero-tolerance policy.

Commissioner David Stern, long fed up with players' histrionics over questionable calls, is threatening to hit them with quick technical fouls -- and later fines -- for those who curse, throw their hands up, or make other gestures that show disgust.

Rasheed Wallace, for one, told the Detroit News he took the league's crackdown personally.

"It's just another 'Sheed Wallace rule," Wallace, shaking his head, told the newspaper. "It just means I must be doing something right. Any time they change the rules of the game for one specific player, you must be doing something right."

Stern's fine system for offenders starts at $5,000 for each instance a player or coach publicly criticizes an official. For multiple technicals, the consequences now are more severe -- $1,000 fine for the first five, $1,500 for the next five, $2,000 for the next five, $2,500 for the ones that follow, and, in addition, a one-game suspension for every other technical after the 15th. The scale was introduced last season.

"What happens if I am one of the captains?" Wallace asked the News. "Does that mean I can't talk to them? You can't talk back to them like they're your mom and dad. It's like they're saying, 'If you say something to me I am going to put you on punishment.' That's how it is. I will come up with some way to tell them how I feel."

Wallace was issued 16 technical fouls last season and a one-game suspension. It's reasonable to think, if referees consistently show zero tolerance, he could double that total.

"It'll be an adjustment for everybody in the league," the Heat's Dwyane Wade told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Heat coach Pat Riley believes players will still be able to express their opinions to officials, but will have to police their body language and tone of voice.

"They are going to be very conscious of player complaining," Riley said last week. "That's one of the big things with them. Every call, there's always 10 guys complaining to the officials. They're just telling them to cut it out."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2620756

trueD
10-11-2006, 12:48 AM
"It's just another 'Sheed Wallace rule," Wallace, shaking his head, told the newspaper. "It just means I must be doing something right. Any time they change the rules of the game for one specific player, you must be doing something right."LMAO @ Rasheed believing rules are made for him and him alone.

I'm glad Stern is taking a stance. Some of those big millionaire boys pout and flail around after every friggin' call. If players would choose their battles a little more wisely (or, just 'choose them' altogether) there wouldn't be a need for policing body language, etc.

So now they get a little slippery balls AND they gotta bite their tongues. Should be a fun season. :lol

ATX Spur
10-11-2006, 01:51 AM
"It's just another 'Sheed Wallace rule," Wallace, shaking his head, told the newspaper. "It just means I must be doing something right. Any time they change the rules of the game for one specific player, you must be doing something right."

You gotta be kidding me. He can't really think the rule is aimed at just him. Maybe he missed the bus the day of practice where they showed tape of other NBA teams playing.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-11-2006, 01:57 AM
In an attempt to get players to curtail post-whistle whining, NBA referee representatives have made the rounds early in training camp to emphasize the league's zero-tolerance policy.

What's the fine going to be for OWNERS who insist on sitting on the bench with their teams and have hissy-fits over calls that don't go their team's way?
Not that anyone of us would know an owner who'd be guilty of said action at the drop of a hat......... :rolleyes

boutons_
10-11-2006, 07:03 AM
"Sheed Wallace rule"

this guy has a huge head, and a small brain.

"I will come up with some way to tell them how I feel."

How about come up with a way to quit wasting your talent?

nah, forget about it, you're 32, wasted your career and talent being a lazy, childish bastard.

Obstructed_View
10-11-2006, 07:39 AM
If that's the way he's going to react, it'll be fun watching his team implode and blame David Stern for it. As for my team, I'm looking forward to having them shut up and focus on winning games.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-11-2006, 07:45 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOD! All I can say is its about damn time!

Pistons < Spurs
10-11-2006, 08:04 AM
This may not be a Rasheed rule, but I can't really think of another player that may be effected by it as much as he will be.

Lebowski Brickowski
10-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Stern's fine system for offenders starts at $5,000 for each instance a player or coach publicly criticizes an official.

I wonder if Pop can still berate an official. I get it that players can't but I think the coaches don't need to be on the same set of rules.