PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe: Devin Brown shoots, swings while he waits for call

Pistons < Spurs
10-11-2006, 07:47 AM
San Antonio Express-News

When Devin Brown starts to feel a little sorry for himself, maybe a little angry, he takes refuge in the one place he knows he can find both serenity and challenge.

"The only way I stay sane about everything that's been going on," says Brown, the former West Campus High School, UTSA and Spurs guard who was waived by the Warriors a few days ago, "is to go to the golf course."

The Spurs sometimes wished Brown had spent more offseason time in the gym than on some of his favorite tracks in and around town. Brown wasn't as regular at the Spurs' practice facility between seasons as some of his teammates.

Now Brown spends as much time in the gym as on the course, waiting for a call from his agent with good news about a new contract.

"I put in the work this summer that I hadn't in the past," Brown said, "because I knew how (new Warriors coach) Don Nelson wanted to play. To not get a chance to show any of that is the hardest thing to deal with right now."

Derrick Powell, Brown's agent, called him a "luxury tax casualty," waived so the Warriors could trim $2.1 million off their payroll, which was creeping toward the luxury tax threshold, $65.42 million. Golden State hasn't been to the playoffs since 1994. It makes no sense for a team that bad to pay the luxury tax, though it hasn't stopped the Knicks.

Only $500,000 of Brown's $2.6 million deal was guaranteed this season. By waiving him before camp, the Warriors are off the hook for the non-guaranteed portion.

Brown made the NBA the hard way, an undrafted free agent who paid dues aplenty. He knows the league's numbers game, both with rosters and contracts.

"Looking into the situation, knowing they had 16 guaranteed contracts, I kind of knew it was a possibility," Brown said. "It's unfortunate because of the way Don Nelson wants to play. I think that would have been a great fit for me."

The business end of the trade this summer that sent Derek Fisher to Utah for Brown, Keith McLeod and Andre Owens was all about the luxury tax. The Warriors knew they could avoid the tax by waiving Brown.

The timing of the Warriors' waiver could not have been worse for Brown. They didn't cut him sooner because they were involved in trade talks with other teams about other players. You don't dump roster assets, even if you intend to do so later.

"I understand it's a business," Brown said.

An injury to Jason Richardson's left knee that required arthroscopic surgery on Aug. 22 presented a golden opportunity at big guard. Dajuan Wagner, a bust in Cleveland and hardly the defender Brown has been in three full NBA seasons, signed with the Warriors for the veteran minimum of $798,000. Now he's going to start in the preseason.

Had the Warriors not been on the hook for the extra $1.8 million they would have owed Brown, it might have been his opportunity, instead.

The Spurs appear to have little interest in Brown, mostly because they are set at the big guard spot.

They also went to camp with three players — Melvin Sanders, Rich Melzer and Charles Lee — they like for their one non-guaranteed roster spot, presuming they opt to carry 15 players, which they are not obliged to do.

"I still think San Antonio would be the best place for Devin," Powell said, "but we've heard from quite a few other good teams that like him."

Brown could be a bargain, since he likely is relegated to a veteran minimum deal, in his case for $771,331, part of which the league would pay for any team that signed him. He would still get his $500,000 from the Warriors, too.

Brown has a championship ring and earned the respect of the Spurs' basketball brain trust by proving a tough playoff competitor. He would be a smart pickup for a good team looking for a role player who might be able to help win some playoff games.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/mmonroe/stories/MYSA101106.3C.Monroe.30129b9.html

ATX Spur
10-11-2006, 07:53 AM
It's hard not to take a chance on the minimum, with the NBA FO paying more than a third of it.

1Parker1
10-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Anyone think Devin Brown would have made a difference last season against the Mavs?

gospursgojas
10-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Anyone think Devin Brown would have made a difference last season against the Mavs?

He has done a good job guarding Dirk before.. pre back injury though

ShoogarBear
10-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Man it sucks that freaking Dajaun Wagner is getting a slot over him.

leemajors
10-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Man it sucks that freaking Dajaun Wagner is getting a slot over him.

but his upside is off the charts!

Mr. Body
10-11-2006, 09:32 AM
but his upside is off the charts!

And his backside doesn't even show up at all!

/rimshot

MrChug
10-11-2006, 11:57 AM
And his backside doesn't even show up at all!

/rimshot

:clap

ChumpDumper
10-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Well that makes sense now.

Were I Mitch Kupchak, I'd make him a Laker.

SequSpur
10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Devin Brown is better than anyone on the Spurs 8-12 and the rest of the crappy foreigners and cotton candy nbdl pickups.

They better sign him.

Obstructed_View
10-11-2006, 09:07 PM

They could have started him at center.

Spurs16212
10-11-2006, 10:24 PM
If you can get Devin for the vet. minimum and have the league pay two thirds of it..... SIGN HIM NOW!!!!! He is good enough to make the 12 man roster plus he would come in handy against the Mavericks.......