PDA

View Full Version : Doctors urge more playtime for children.

RandomGuy
10-11-2006, 08:45 AM
By LINDSEY TANNER, AP Medical Writer
Mon Oct 9, 1:13 AM ET

CHICAGO - Here's some soothing medicine for stressed-out parents and overscheduled kids: The American Academy of Pediatrics says what children really need for healthy development is more good, old-fashioned playtime.

Many parents load their children's schedules with get-smart videos, enrichment activities and lots of classes in a drive to help them excel. The efforts often begin as early as infancy.

Spontaneous, free play — whether it's chasing butterflies, playing with "true toys" like blocks and dolls, or just romping on the floor with mom and dad — often is sacrificed in the shuffle, a new academy report says.

Jennifer Gervasio has a 5-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter involved in preschool three mornings weekly, plus T-ball and ballet for each one day a week. That's a light schedule compared to her kids' friends, and Gervasio said her son in particular has trouble finding buddies who are free to come over and just play.

"There's just such a huge variety of things you can do for your kids if you have the resources, you almost feel why not," said Gervasio, of Wilmette, Ill. "There is a part of me that would worry if I don't sign my son up for some of these things, will he not be on par with the other kids."

For now, she says, she resists the pressure, instead allowing her kids plenty of time for looking for bugs, romping at the beach and other play activities they love to do.

"I truly believe that they're better off when they can just do their own thing," Gervasio said.

Numerous studies have shown that unstructured play has many benefits. It can help children become creative, discover their own passions, develop problem-solving skills, relate to others and adjust to school settings, the academy report says.

"Perhaps above all, play is a simple joy that is a cherished part of childhood," says the report, prepared by two academy committees for release Monday at the group's annual meeting in Atlanta.

A lack of spontaneous playtime can create stress for children and parents alike. If it occurs because young children are plopped in front of get-smart videos or older children lose school recess time, it can increase risks for obesity. It may even contribute to depression for many children, the report says.

Social pressures and marketing pitches about creating "super children" contribute to a lack of playtime for many families. But so does living in low-income, violence-prone neighborhoods where safe places to play are scarce, the report says.

It says enrichment tools and organized activities can be beneficial but should not be viewed as a requirement for creating successful children. Above all, they must be balanced with plenty of free play time, the report says.

"In the current environment where so many parents feel pressure to be super parents, I believe this message is an important one," said Dr. Kenneth Ginsburg, the report's lead author and a pediatrician at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Noted pediatrician and author Dr. T. Berry Brazelton praised the academy's report.

"I hope it will have some effect," Brazelton said.

Children overscheduled with structured activities "are missing the chance they have to dream, to fantasize, to make their own world work the way they want it. That to me is a very important part of childhood," Brazelton said.

(found on yahoo news)

We are too busy, we don't get enough sleep and we work too much.

Here is something to think about for you parents:

I have noticed that my child is most "hyper" when he is close to bedtime and a bit tired.

I would be willing to bet, based on this, that the hyperactivity epidemic in kids has something to do with not getting enough sleep. I think this problem is made worse by the stimulants that are generally given as treatment for hyperactivity. Stimulants hinder sleep, causing the problem to continue.

Just my observations.

I will encourage my kid to play, and participate in things, but some of my own most treasured memories are from just bicycling around my home town in the summer, exploring and doing nothing more productive than idly kicking a ball around the the park with my friends.

katyon6th
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
We should all be given more playtime, that's what I think.

Solid D
10-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Good article and comments, RandomGuy! I agree that today's homes have people going many different directions at once. Having at least 2 vehicles is survival. Parents are way too busy in, what would normally be their free or "play" time, taking their children to private lessons, team practices, etc. during what might normally be their "play" time. What's worse, parents are on their mobile phones while driving and they miss out on some healthy interaction and conversation with their children. Those who don't have children but might some day...you may want to make a mental note on this for later.

leemajors
10-11-2006, 09:33 AM
my daughter is 19 months old and gets a lot of playtime. the only tv she watches actively is dora, sesame street and little einstein. we go over her ABCs every day, but the rest is playtime and eating. we have a nice huge yard that she can romp in and she loves it - a lot of her playtime is spent chasing the family dog.

Good 'N Plenty
10-11-2006, 09:47 AM
With kids having cell phones at age 10 it is no wonder they don't get enough play time. And kids these days don't use their imagination. Hell, give them a book and they look for the "on" switch. I remember when you would see kids all over the place during non-school hours now they are lock inside or at the mall but I can't blame some parents for sheltering their kids from the perverts out there either.
Let kids be kids!!!!

Slomo
10-11-2006, 11:04 AM
We should all be given more playtime, that's what I think.

I'll play with you :eyebrows

RandomGuy
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
No matter how busy I get, I try to devote a good chunk of time on the weekend to just "hanging out" with my 3 year old. His day is structured enough at daycare/preschool and bedtimes at home, it certainly won't kill him if he has some time to himself to do whatever he wants. I do suggest some things that don't occur to him, like climbing or looking at some cool bugs he might miss, but otherwise he sets the pace and dictates what we do.

Jimcs50
10-11-2006, 01:26 PM
maybe they should join Spurs Talk....there is plenty of playing going on in here. when there is supposed to be working.

:)