PDA

View Full Version : SI.com sees Jackie Butler to (more or less) have a breakout season

flipcritic
10-11-2006, 01:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0610/gallery.nba.bustingloose.west/content.4.html

"How New York let this burgeoning post scorer go, at any price, we'll never understand. Butler's defense won't remind anyone of David Robinson, but he averaged 5.3 points in 13.5 minutes as a 20-year-old last season and has an array of promising moves in the low block. The youngster's biggest issue? Foul trouble -- he averaged 6.3 for every 40 minutes he played last year. Yet the player the Knicks chose over him (beleaguered big man Jerome James) averaged an even 10 for the same time frame. Go figure."

ploto
10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
He will start the season in street clothes.

bdictjames
10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
I hope he learns from David.. blocking and rebounding and all

nbascribe
10-11-2006, 02:57 PM
ploto...he's under contract...if anyone starts in street clothes it will be beno and melvin sanders. Butler is the second string back up to francisco elson.

Kori Ellis
10-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I think he'll start the season in street clothes too. The Spurs primary center rotation will include Tim, Oberto and Elson until Jackie develops.

ShoogarBear
10-11-2006, 03:31 PM
I just hope he doesn't break out through his buttonholes.

Streakyshooter08
10-11-2006, 04:25 PM
After what I have seen in France, I doubt he will have much of an impact this year. I hope he gets the chance to show what he can do the upcomming games. The tandem of Oberto/ Elson is not really that strong...

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-11-2006, 04:28 PM
He'll get a chance to prove himself when one of our bigs gets injured.

cornbread
10-11-2006, 04:31 PM
He'll get a chance to prove himself when one of our bigs gets injured.

IF one gets injured, not when. Don't mess up the mojo!

Kori Ellis
10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
I believe that he'll be getting quality minutes by the end of the season (unless he just doesn't get it). He's got the best post game of the 3 and he has good hands down low. He's just raw and needs some time. Hopefully he's a little smart so that he develops/learns quickly. I like Oberto and Elson as bench players.

timvp
10-11-2006, 04:45 PM
The Spurs could put Jackie Butler on the Stephen Jackson program. Have him practice all season, give him some spot action but basically let him learn for a year.

Personally, I hope the Spurs give him a shot. Give him minutes and he can beat out Elson and Oberto.

Solid D
10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
He showed up for training camp looking more like Jackie Baker or Jackie Chef.

SenorSpur
10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
The Spurs could put Jackie Butler on the Stephen Jackson program. Have him practice all season, give him some spot action but basically let him learn for a year.

Personally, I hope the Spurs give him a shot. Give him minutes and he can beat out Elson and Oberto.

I hope so too. I'd love to see him develop and blossom into a productive player while in a Spurs uniform. Let's hope he doesn't turn out the be the "dumb ass" that Jackson has.

Kori Ellis
10-11-2006, 05:23 PM
He showed up for training camp looking more like Jackie Baker or Jackie Chef.

I don't think he showed up to training camp very fat. He needs to improve his conditioning but he's not that chubby. He's always going to be thick; that's his body style and it's a good thing. Spurs shouldn't have all skinny centers.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
spurs defense is going to be soft as butter this season

ploto
10-11-2006, 05:57 PM
ploto...he's under contract...if anyone starts in street clothes it will be beno and melvin sanders. Butler is the second string back up to francisco elson.
Sorry- but your post makes little sense. Beno is under contract, too.

One more guy has to sit out than him and #15 guy (who by the way- I think won't be Sanders- but Melzer)

T Park
10-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Probobly either Erick Williams or someone else

Doubtfull Butler gets the S Jax treatment.

ploto
10-11-2006, 07:25 PM
So the Spurs will suit up 6 big men on opening night against Dallas-- to go with 2 PG and 4 wings!!

ChumpDumper
10-11-2006, 07:38 PM
If Williams is out and Melzer is waived, yes.

baseline bum
10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
For the money they paid out, Butler was a hell of a pickup. However, the media is just lazy. They act like any player the Spurs gamble on will be the next Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili, when there have been plenty of Chris Carrawells and Beno Udrihs too.

milkyway21
10-13-2006, 12:07 AM
After what I have seen in France, I doubt he will have much of an impact this year. ...what did you really see? he was even a DNP against Tel Aviv.

but you are right, he shld be given more minutes.

I can see a bright future for him. Besides, he's cheap and he's young. Actually he's a steal.

SequSpur
10-13-2006, 12:08 AM
The Spurs are stupid.

BeerIsGood!
10-13-2006, 12:23 AM

For a second I thought you were going to say send him to strip clubs and give him a nine to blast mofos with.

MannyIsGod
10-13-2006, 01:05 AM
For a second I thought you were going to say send him to strip clubs and give him a nine to blast mofos with.:lol

ploto
10-13-2006, 08:51 AM
I was assuming everyone is healthy. Do you suit up Butler ahead of Williams against Dallas?? BTW- Williams practiced Thursday.

ploto
10-13-2006, 08:52 AM

Bruno
10-13-2006, 09:56 AM
He will start the season in street clothes.

Agree, unless he plays really well during the preseason.
I don't see him on the active roster for the game against Dallas.
To me the active roster against Dallas will be :
- 5 bigs : Duncan, Horry, Elson, Bonner, Oberto
- 4 swings : Ginobili, Barry, Bowen, Finley
- 2 PGs : Parker, Vaughn or Udrih
- 1 third PG or 1 SF : Vaughn or Udrih or Williams or Melzer

z0sa
10-13-2006, 10:04 AM
How good is Butler's defensive presence? If he can contest some shots (not even block them), then I think he will be a starter before the end of the season. If Elson is doing better at D, he'll get the nod. I just don't see Oberto beating those two out at the starting position by the end of the season.