PDA

View Full Version : Plans set for Texas vs. rest of nation bowl game

j-6
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2620788

EL PASO, Texas -- Buddy Ryan and Mike Price have been named as coaches for a new postseason game that aims to find out if Texas college football players are better than guys from all other 49 states combined.

The Texas vs. the Nation all-star bowl game will pit all-stars from Texas colleges against players from the rest of the country. It will be held Feb. 2 at the Sun Bowl and will be televised live on CSTV.

Ryan, the former coach of the Philadelphia Eagles and Arizona Cardinals, will guide the national squad. Price, UTEP's coach, will lead the players from Texas teams.

Teams will consist of seniors ranked in the top 15 at their positions by the NFL.

The Texas squad will feature seniors with high school or collegiate ties to the state. The "nation" roster will be filled with players with no Texas ties.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

LaMarcus Bryant
10-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Such a contest makes our state all the more dominant--win or lose.

scott
10-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Pretty cool. Anyone want to take a stab at the starting lineup could look like for the Texas squad? It might be tough since most of the current studs aren't seniors.

johngateswhiteley
10-11-2006, 07:45 PM
this is cool...Texas does have the best football players, though it will be hard to beat the nation when players from California, Florida, and states like Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, and even Ohio team up.

Mr Dio
10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1542&Year=2007

Holmes_Fans
10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Pretty sure the game is gonna be players already in college, not incoming freshman. I wish they would do players that went to HS in Texas, not ones that have the college affiliation.

AgSnake361
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Pretty sure the game is gonna be players already in college, not incoming freshman. I wish they would do players that went to HS in Texas, not ones that have the college affiliation.

From the article posted...

The Texas squad will feature seniors with high school or collegiate ties to the state. The "nation" roster will be filled with players with no Texas ties.

Do you mean ones that JUST have HS ties?

BeerIsGood!
10-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Alright! An aggeeeey without the trojan

atxrocker_sucks
10-12-2006, 03:23 AM
this is cool...Texas does have the best football players, though it will be hard to beat the nation when players from California, Florida, and states like Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, and even Ohio team up.

I gotta agree with that. This isn't the best year for Texas players, they are good, just not good enough to go against the top notch players from the states mentioned above, specifically Ohio, Georgia, Florida, and Michigan.

scott
10-12-2006, 07:52 AM

It means that if Adrian Peterson were a Sr., he'd probably be the starting RB. The nation might have an advantage because a lot of big time state-of-Texas players forego their Sr. years.

Holmes_Fans
10-12-2006, 04:10 PM

It's players that went to High school before they came to college. So if I went and played at Michigan and I was a senior right now, I would be eligible to play for the Texas team in Feb.

It means that if Adrian Peterson were a Sr., he'd probably be the starting RB. The nation might have an advantage because a lot of big time state-of-Texas players forego their Sr. years.

Not at Texas atleast, VY was the first ever player to forgo his senior year under mack brown.

Holmes_Fans
10-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Who are some big name seniors that could be playing for Texas, off the top of my head this is all I could think of. I'm not sure what non-Texas colleges have from TX.

QB - Kevin Kolb, Drew Tate
RB - Selvin Young, Courtney Lewis
WR - Vincent Marshal
OL - Texas' 3 seniors, surely some from A&M aswell.

DL - Brian Robison, Tim Crowder, someone from OU
CB - Aaron Ross, CB from Baylor(if he is a senior)

Any other insight?

TxJudsonRocketTx
10-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Greatest idea ever.

2centsworth
10-13-2006, 02:24 PM
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1542&Year=2007
that's the sickest list I've ever seen.

Holmes_Fans
10-13-2006, 08:36 PM
The game is outgoing college seniors though, so that list has a potential to be sick in 4 or 5 years.

BeerIsGood!
10-13-2006, 09:30 PM

Almost all of the top talent is Texas bound as well. You didn't see much aTm or Tech, or even Ok. on that list until you get to the kids Texas didn't want.

Holmes_Fans
10-13-2006, 11:03 PM
and with OU possibly going on probation(again), look for a&m and UT to get alot more of those recruits.