PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Horry prepares like it's his last

DieMrBond
10-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Horry prepares like it's his last
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101206.01D.BKN_spurs-horry_1012.30a4c6b.html

Web Posted: 10/11/2006 10:48 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

Their season having ended in overtime in a dramatic Game 7 against the Dallas Mavericks, the Spurs gathered at their practice facility the day after the crushing loss to clean out their lockers and have a final team meeting.

Robert Horry, owner of six championship rings and the oldest player on the roster, spoke up. He told teammates he was headed to his offseason home to work harder than ever on his conditioning so he could come into training camp fully prepared to get the 2006-07 season off to a good start.

The player known as "Big Shot Rob" admonished them all to do the same.

His teammates took his words to heart because they knew, as he did, that this season might be the last for a 36-year-old whose clutch playoff accomplishments are among the greatest in NBA history.

"I wanted to say that because so many people are saying this might be my last year," Horry said Wednesday after the Spurs' first training-camp practice in San Antonio following nine days in France. "I just wanted to tell them that I'm coming back like it's my fifth or sixth year in the league, and I'm ready to go out and win another championship, and that I was ready to go home and work hard."

Horry insists he won't know if this will be his final season until it shakes out. He admits he has considered the possibility.

"Only time will tell," said Horry, who is preparing for the second year of the three-year contract he signed in 2005. "I want to play as much as I'm allowed to play and as much as my body will allow me to play. I want to be treated like I'm in my first or second year in the league. Just treat me like a basketball player.

"If I can't go, I'm not going to force myself out there to where I hurt the team. Just treat me regular and let me play, and whatever happens, happens."

Horry believes he is still in his prime, as long as 'prime' is properly defined.

"Depends on what you mean by prime," he said. "There's early prime and prime-time prime. I'm twilight prime. I'm not as fast or explosive as I used to be. It's just age, and I've played a lot of basketball throughout my NBA career."

With that experience has come wisdom about the game that makes Horry valuable even beyond his remaining athleticism and his 3-point shot.

"He knows the game and he knows how to get himself in position to do so many little things," Spurs guard Brent Barry said. "Robert has an uncanny ability to do good things like that."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has asked Matt Bonner, 26, acquired as an eventual successor to Horry, to watch how Horry thinks his way around both ends of the floor.

"Pop came to him in one of our games in France," Horry said, "and told him, 'Go talk to Robert ... Robert, tell him how to get an open shot.'"

That this could be Horry's final season is of no concern to Popovich, at least not now.

"My only concern is this season," Popovich said. "The future is the future. I'm concerned about what he can do this season. Hopefully, he will be healthy enough to give us a good season and we'll worry about later later."

Notebook: Tony Parker skipped Wednesday's lengthy practice with a sore finger on his right hand, but it had nothing to do with the fracture to his right index finger he suffered on Aug. 22. A cut finger had developed a minor infection, so Parker sat out as a precaution. ... Forward Eric Williams and point guard Beno Udrih also sat out the practice session, both with sore hamstrings. ... The Spurs, who had taken Tuesday off after their long travel day on Monday, practiced for more than two hours. "It was nice to get back on the floor after getting back from France and sweat out all that cheese," guard Brent Barry said. "Yesterday was good for us to have off, but we're still trying to get on schedule and recovered."

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Man, I love Robert Horry. Even when he was slaying us for the Rockets and Lakers I liked him. He's gone through so many transitions as a player, and still maintained his effectiveness, not to mention his All-Time Clutch squad membership. Above allthat, he seems like a truly cool guy.

Two favourite Horry moments -
1. Horry missing the shot in game 5 2003 SFs vs the Lakers that would have put them up 3-2 and probably buried us. Instead, Timmy came out in game 6 and played maybe the best game of his life to destroy every player the Lakers threw at him, including Shaq. I think he had a 15pt 3rd quarter to blow the game wide open. From that point, we stormed to the trophy.
2. Game 5, 2005. 4th Q and OT. The greatest performance by a gimpy 35yo tweener forward in the history of the game. Without him (and Sheed :lmao), we have no ring in 2005. Nothing more need be said.

SequSpur
10-11-2006, 11:54 PM
So Beno is still out injured? Geeze....

I think Horry is already done. IMO.

supaphly119
10-12-2006, 12:19 AM
2. Game 5, 2005. 4th Q and OT. The greatest performance by a gimpy 35yo tweener forward in the history of the game. Without him (and Sheed :lmao), we have no ring in 2005. Nothing more need be said.

i have an autographed pic of that shot hanging on my wall. the look on the piston fans faces is wonderful.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Not just the shot tho - if memory serves me, he scored 17 points in the 4th and OT (after having done nothing in the series to date), then the dunk where he popped his shoulder out that absolutely lifted the roof (and kept us in the game - we were down by 4 or 5 at the time), then The Shot. One of the truly great All-Time Clutch performances, especially from a gimpy 35yo... might I say, Jordanesque?

SenorSpur
10-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Not just the shot tho - if memory serves me, he scored 17 points in the 4th and OT (after having done nothing in the series to date), then the dunk where he popped his shoulder out that absolutely lifted the roof (and kept us in the game - we were down by 4 or 5 at the time), then The Shot. One of the truly great All-Time Clutch performances, especially from a gimpy 35yo... might I say, Jordanesque?

Yes, you may.

ChumpDumper
10-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Horry prepares like it's his last
I'm coming back like it's my fifth or sixth year in the leagueWhatever.

cheguevara
10-12-2006, 09:54 AM
We will not win another championship without a big, big shot from Rob. that was proved last playoffs

ploto
10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
He told teammates he was headed to his offseason home to work harder than ever on his conditioning so he could come into training camp fully prepared to get the 2006-07 season off to a good start.

I have always liked Rob but I really don't think he appears to be in any different shape than he was last year. And didn't he start the pre-season injured, as well.

ShoogarBear
10-12-2006, 10:11 AM
At that age, working harder doesn't necessarily translate to being in better shape, sad to say. :depressed

ploto
10-12-2006, 10:21 AM
He's only 36!!

I thought what he said in May meant he intended to come back a little leaner because he said he couldn't chase those guys around. Look at how Tim looks!

boutons_
10-12-2006, 12:12 PM
"working harder doesn't necessarily translate to being in better shape, sad to say."

As one old pro baseballer said a long time ago, at that age, you have to work twice as hard to get in shape, it's twice as hard to stay in shape, and when you stop you get out of shape twice as fast.

Robert never has been an player depending on his athleticism. He can still bring great spurts of energy for a few plays or a quarter. Probably won't see much of that until next April/May.

I figure all Robet can do is stay in shape, watch his diet, get plenty of rest and sleep, and play as smart and wily as he knows how to do so well. He can bring a lot of energy in sput

Tim especially owes Robert big time for bailing Tim out in the 4th/OT of Game5 of 05 Finals.

Trying to win another ring for Robert in his last season is a great backstory.

ShoogarBear
10-12-2006, 01:21 PM
He's only 36!!

You obviously have never been 36.

I thought what he said in May meant he intended to come back a little leaner because he said he couldn't chase those guys around. Look at how Tim looks!

Again, even at "only" 36, it's progressively harder to come back leaner.

Robert never has been an player depending on his athleticism.

His athleticism is deceptive. Over the last 6-7 years, you're right. But if you look at him during the 94-95 playoffs, the man was a freaking gazelle.

z0sa
10-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Horry should have tried to guard Dirk during the playoffs, instead of being forced to guard smaller Howard when he "didn't do good enough." Dirk is gonna go off no matter who guards him; if Horry would have been able to just put a hand in Dirk's face and then come fourth quarter let Bowen handle him -- I think the entire face of the series would have been changed.

sa_butta
10-12-2006, 01:51 PM
I like the idea of also having Horry as a sort of mentor to Bonner. Not a bad guy to learn from. Two big men that can shoot from the outside. Lets just hope that Bonner is able to take it all in and apply it on the court. If nothing else Horry's experience alone will only help our team. At least sounds like he is committed to playing well this season. Will we ever get to see a healthy Beno?

z0sa
10-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Yea I almost forgot about that - if he can teach Bonner even a symblance of what he has done over his career, it could spell another big man to spread the floor (and hopefully hit clutch shots) long after Horry has retired.

ploto
10-12-2006, 04:21 PM
You obviously have never been 36.

Might surprise you!!

Bruno
10-12-2006, 06:17 PM
It looks like Eric Williams is done : out of shape + achille injury + hamstring injury.
:depressed
He could have really help Spurs and I hope that Spurs will have a player with the same profile than him for this season (Melzer if he plays well in the preseason or another guy).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-12-2006, 07:56 PM
His athleticism is deceptive. Over the last 6-7 years, you're right. But if you look at him during the 94-95 playoffs, the man was a freaking gazelle.

Totally. I saw some 1994 footage the other day and he was extremely athletic, and sooooo skinny! It was sorta cute, until he put down some nasty dunks.

That was the year Otis Thorpe went out with injury in the 1st rd of the playoffs, Horry switched to PF and averaged some ridiculous number like 10 or 11 rebounds a game covering for him, and playing awesome D.

Horry is definitely one of my 5 favourite players of all time... it's have to be Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili, Olajuwon and Horry, with Jordan a close 6th! :lol

It looks like Eric Williams is done : out of shape + achille injury + hamstring injury.

That's a pity! I was really looking forward to watching him throw himself all over the court for 12-15mins a night. Oh well.

Horry For 3!
10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
If he retires, I will have to retire my name :depressed

sprrs
10-12-2006, 11:37 PM
i have an autographed pic of that shot hanging on my wall. the look on the piston fans faces is wonderful.

What I love is that they have those looks on their faces while the shot's still in the air. That, "it's Robert Horry taking that shot we've lost the game" look.

milkyway21
10-13-2006, 02:11 AM
If he retires, I will have to retire my name :depressedi was wondering about that too! :lmao

BTW, this is one of my fav Big shot Bob pic-during 2005 Championship celebration. I got it saved then i saw Misty had one too :D

http://www.mistilynn.com/horry/rh05-144.jpg
i think he's planning to be a rock star when he retires.