PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jax Charged--Details

wildbill2u
10-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Site from Indianapolis Channel 13 has videos of Byrd, Walsh reaction, etc.
http://wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5526053

Pacers basketball player Stephen Jackson was charged Wednesday with felony criminal recklessness following a fight and shooting an a west side strip club last week. He also faces misdemeanor charges of battery and disorderly conduct.
Jackson apologized for his role in the fight Tuesday, but he still faces serious charges (http://wthr.static.worldnow.com/images/incoming/pdfs/jackson%20charges.pdf). It happened at Club Rio while he partied with team mates and several friends.

An eyewitness to the fight says it all started when Quentin "Fingers" Willford tried to befriend one of the dancers performing for the players.

"They started to get into an altercation and Fingers started to put his hand in somebody's face," said the witness.

Eventually the disagreement spilled over into the parking lot. That's where prosecutors and the eyewitness say Jackson took part in beating "Fingers" before firing his gun.

"The guy was holding down Fingers and they were beating him up and he yelled out, 'Dino, Dino, Dino, help me, Dino,'" said the witness.

"He kicked the person on the ground, fired the rounds in the air, walked back to his car when the car Mr. Willford was driving strikes him," said Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi, who announced the charges at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

Carl Brizzi charged Fingers' cousin, Deon "Dino" Willford, with battery, failure to stop at the scene of a personal injury accident and operating a vehicle without a license. But what bothered the prosecutor even more is when Jackson kept shooting his 9 millimeter with a parking lot full of people.

"Those bullets go up and have to come down at least at 90 miles per hour and they do have the ability to take someone's life," Brizzi said.

Jackson faces criminal recklessness, battery and disorderly conduct. If convicted, his could face up to three years in jail.

Raymel Mattox, a Pacer friend, faces battery, possession of marijuana and disorderly conduct. "Mr. Mattox struck Fingers and started the fight and the other information we have is that Mr. Jackson kicked Fingers while he was down," Brizzi said.

Jackon won't make an appearance on the court for the first preseason game. But he is scheduled to appear in court. He's expected to turn himself into authorities Thursday morning.

Meantime, Indiana Pacers CEO and President Donnie Walsh issued the following statement Wednesday: "As has been reported, charges were filed today against Stephen Jackson as a continuation from the incident of Oct. 6. As to the charges brought, there is a presumption of innocence and we will let the judicial process run its course. As we have stated, we regret the incident and hope for a quick resolution. The NBA office has been informed and we will be in contact with league office as the process continues. The Pacers are strong advocates of anti-violence campaigns as they have been throughout the franchise's history."

Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson calls the Pacers situation unfortunate. He says the team represents the city, and he understands why many fans are unhappy. "I want to be supportive of the team and the Pacers organization, but they're going to have to deal with this. It's a problem. There's no getting around it. There's no upside to it. It's disappointing," said the mayor.

wildbill2u
10-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Quick recap of videos: Team officials say he will continue to play for team "as have other players under these circumstances" and will not be penalized by the team unless he is found guilty because of presumption of innocence.

Jax's lawyer says the players were attacked by thugs and defended themselves.

I suspect He will get any charges including discharging firearm pleaded down from felony to misdemeanor. Celebrities and sports stars always get a break.

greywheel
10-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I suspect He will get any charges including discharging firearm pleaded down from felony to misdemeanor. Celebrities and sports stars always get a break.

I expect you will be right. But celebrities often also have high priced lawyers which helps to get these charges downgraded.

TDMVPDPOY
10-12-2006, 01:29 PM
fuck community service :D

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Jax needs to do some hard time. He is a wacko.

ducks
10-12-2006, 01:51 PM
defending himself is not wrong
they are 2 sides of every story

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 01:54 PM
defending himself is not wrong
they are 2 sides of every story

shooting a gun in the air in a busy area is defending yourself?

:rolleyes

ducks
10-12-2006, 01:55 PM
would you rather he shot at someone

ducks
10-12-2006, 01:55 PM
I guess if he hit the other guy in the balls then people may believe he was defending himself

sa_butta
10-12-2006, 01:56 PM
shooting a gun in the air in a busy area is defending yourself?

:rolleyesExactly.

The bullets have to come down he could have killed or hurt an innocent person.
The guy needs some jail time, he has had too many chance plus he violated his probation.

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 01:57 PM
would you rather he shot at someone

Now that is an asinine retort. People have been killed many times by bullets going through the tops of their skulls when people fire guns into the air.

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 01:59 PM
I guess if he hit the other guy in the balls then people may believe he was defending himself

Plus he kicked the guy when he was being held down by his fellow thugs....Jax is a total asshole nutjob.

ducks
10-12-2006, 01:59 PM
he will get off why charge him
the other guy started it
he defended himself

ducks
10-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Plus he kicked the guy when he was being held down by his fellow thugs....Jax is a total asshole nutjob.

good the other guy deserved it

ducks
10-12-2006, 02:01 PM
he may be a nutjob but he has rights
that guy went off
you do not know that the other guy said
I suppose all you people would not defend yourself

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 02:02 PM
he may be a nutjob but he has rights
that guy went off
you do not know that the other guy said
I suppose all you people would not defend yourself

he is on probation...he should not have been following anyone out to the parking lot to fight.....period

ducks
10-12-2006, 02:03 PM
I expect you will be right. But celebrities often also have high priced lawyers which helps to get these charges downgraded.

that is because most of these charges are bogus and should be downgraded

ducks
10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
he is on probation...he should not have been following anyone out to the parking lot to fight.....period

did he and the teamates not leave because they were causing problems inside
the other people FOLLOWED them outside

greywheel
10-12-2006, 02:15 PM
that is because most of these charges are bogus and should be downgraded

I was speaking in general. But since you feel Jax is so innocent, how many times did he fire his gun again?

"He kicked the person on the ground, fired the rounds in the air, walked back to his car when the car Mr. Willford was driving strikes him,"
After the Detroit brawl, I have no trouble believing Jax would kick a guy on the ground. And the quote states he fired the gun before he was hit by the car. But I am sure those points will be argued in court.

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 02:16 PM
I was speaking in general. But since you feel Jax is so innocent, how many times did he fire his gun again?

After the Detroit brawl, I have no trouble believing Jax would kick a guy on the ground. And the quote states he fired the gun before he was hit by the car. But I am sure those points will be argued in court.

my wife gets pissed at me when I fire my gun too quickly

ShoogarBear
10-12-2006, 02:24 PM
She should be glad you can still find the rusty old bullets to reload it.

cheguevara
10-12-2006, 02:41 PM
and you guys call yourselves texans??

firing a gun in the air is every texan's Godgiven right.

Trainwreck2100
10-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Sky-1
SJAx-0

And the war continues

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 03:12 PM
and you guys call yourselves texans??

firing a gun in the air is every texan's Godgiven right.

This was in Indiana.

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 03:14 PM
She should be glad you can still find the rusty old bullets to reload it.

At least I can reload it in less than 12 hrs, unlike your old gun.

:)

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 03:23 PM
any dude named fingers can't be innocent.

I beg to differ:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/images/Fingers_Rollie_3.jpg

The Artest Factor
10-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Stephen Jackson is 100% INNOCENT. He was framed by Fingers and Fingers cousin, a guy they call One Ball. I'm telling you all right now, Stephen Jackson is an angelic, soft, caring human being, and he'd never hurt anybody without just cause. I say Jackson should not only have all charges dropped against him, but the NBA should award a special trophy to him for being one of the NBA's finest citizens and a downright good guy.

nkdlunch
10-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm working on my design for my Free JaX t-shirts...

ShoogarBear
10-12-2006, 03:41 PM
At least I can reload it in less than 12 hrs, unlike your old gun.

:)
At least I don't make a habit of shooting myself in the foot.

ShoogarBear
10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Fingers is such a cool nickname. It evokes memories of happier, more innocent times.

nkdlunch
10-12-2006, 03:45 PM
:lol the whole incident including the names of the characters sounds straight out of Grand Theft Auto

here's JaX being run over...
http://www.twistedmonkey.net/wp-content/_ps2_image_article_574_574211_grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-20041217114942485.jpg

Jimcs50
10-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Fingers is such a cool nickname. It evokes memories of happier, more innocent times.

ah yes.....

http://www.bugsmoran.net/gallery.html

ducks
10-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Prosecutors said Mattox started the fight and had the drug. Mattox lives in New York and was planning to come to Indiana for a court hearing, said Roger Rayl, a spokesman for the Marion County prosecutor's office.

ShoogarBear
10-12-2006, 04:01 PM
:lol Yeah, they couldn't find somebody named "Bugs" to round things out?

wildbill2u
10-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Stephen Jackson is 100% INNOCENT. He was framed by Fingers and Fingers cousin, a guy they call One Ball. I'm telling you all right now, Stephen Jackson is an angelic, soft, caring human being, and he'd never hurt anybody without just cause. I say Jackson should not only have all charges dropped against him, but the NBA should award a special trophy to him for being one of the NBA's finest citizens and a downright good guy.
Well said, Ms. Jackson.

ducks
10-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Probation violation hearing set for Pacers guard Jackson

October 13, 2006

AP - Oct 12, 5:13 pm EDT
More Photos

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Prosecutors in suburban Detroit said Friday they may request jail time for Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson if he is found to have violated probation by firing a gun outside an Indianapolis strip club.

Jackson is on probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery charges in September 2005 for his role in a 2004 brawl between Pacers players and fans during a game against the Detroit Pistons.

The 28-year-old Jackson appeared in a Marion County, Ind., court on Thursday for arraignment on a felony charge of criminal recklessness and misdemeanor counts of battery and disorderly conduct as a result of the incident at the Indianapolis strip club.

Jackson is scheduled to appear at a probation violation hearing at a Rochester Hills district court on Nov. 13, said Oakland County assistant prosecutor Paul Walton. He could face up to three months in jail. Walton said if the court finds Jackson violated his probation, the prosecutor's office probably would request jail time.

Police say Jackson fired a gun in the air at least five times during an Oct. 6 fight outside Club Rio. Jackson originally told police he fired the gun in self-defense, but Marion County prosecutor Carl Brizzi said Jackson retrieved the gun from his car and fired it before he was struck and injured by another car.

Defense attorney James Burdick said Friday that Jackson has completed the terms of his 12-month probation. He said Rochester Hills District Judge Julie Nicholson held his probationary period open until a separate $12,000 restitution case is resolved, but imposed no reporting or other requirements.
Burdick said Jackson obtained the handgun he is accused of firing lawfully and informed officials in Indiana of his probationary status in Michigan while applying for permits.

"He violated no terms of probation, he's violated no conditions of probation, he's done nothing wrong," Burdick said.

wildbill2u
10-14-2006, 10:50 AM
"Defense attorney James Burdick said Friday that Jackson has completed the terms of his 12-month probation"

Good for Jax. We knew he could stay out of trouble for a few months. Now he's all set to start another probation.

ploto
10-14-2006, 04:43 PM
How is this Spurs related??

Kori Ellis
10-14-2006, 11:59 PM
How is this Spurs related??

Are you spamming the forum? Applying to be a moderator? Or just being a jerk?

ducks
10-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Jackson says he was trying to protect teammates
Jackson says he was trying to protect teammates

October 15, 2006

AP - Oct 12, 5:13 pm EDT
More Photos

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson says he was just trying to protect three teammates when he fired a handgun and was hit by a car during a fight outside an Indianapolis strip club.

The 28-year-old Jackson faces a pretrial hearing on a felony charge of criminal recklessness and misdemeanor counts of battery and disorderly conduct Nov. 1, the same day the Pacers open the season in Charlotte, N.C.

His trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 8 in Marion Superior Court. The criminal recklessness charge carries a prison term of six months to three years.

"I'm in a situation now where people thought I acted recklessly, when I know I didn't," Jackson said Saturday night after the Pacers' 97-84 loss to the Utah Jazz.

"Over due time the courts will know that," he said. "We'll be able to see I wasn't trying to hurt anybody. I had no intentions of hurting anybody. I was just making sure me and my teammates were safe. I'm the one who got hit by the car."

ADVERTISEMENT

Police said Jackson fired a gun in the air at least five times during an Oct. 6 fight outside Club Rio. Jackson originally told police that he fired the gun in self-defense, but Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said Jackson retrieved his gun from his car and fired it before he was struck and injured by another car.

Jackson, who showed up at Conseco Fieldhouse on Saturday sporting a shaven head instead of his familiar braids, was booed by some fans during the game. He came off the bench and finished with six points in 23 minutes.

Jackson was serving probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery charges in September 2005 in his role in a 2004 brawl between Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Mich. He is scheduled to appear at a probation violation hearing at a Rochester Hills district court on Nov. 13 and could face up to three months in jail.

The court schedule and shadow of jail time could complicate Indiana's season. But Pacers coach Rick Carlisle seemed relatively unruffled.

"We'll cross those bridges when we come to them," Carlisle said. "I've heard some dates thrown around, but I don't know that there's anything set in stone. I know that a lot of times schedules can be adjusted based on people's work, but I'm not going to make any presumptions on that. ... That's light years away."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsPc8hO7LDbXnEI3r.DN0ue8vLYF?slug=ap-pacers-jackson&prov=ap&type=lgns

Slinkyman
10-16-2006, 05:05 PM
:lol @ ducks using the "he started it" defense for sjax, what are you in pre-k? It takes two to tango and sjax played a role in what happened and was wrong for what he did. Why would someone not looking to start trouble carry a gun around? They wouldn't.

mikejones99
10-17-2006, 03:32 PM
he should carry a gun next time he goes to the palace

mavs>spurs2
10-17-2006, 03:44 PM
he should carry a gun next time he goes to the palace

Yea then he could really shoot up those fans. :rolleyes
Mike Jones you a gansta.....lmao

Lonestar
10-17-2006, 11:27 PM
:drunk :smokin :toast Can't Get Right is at it again!!

:ihit