View Full Version : Yes, Owens is frustrated with role with Cowboys

ducks
10-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Yes, Owens is frustrated with role with Cowboys

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
October 11, 2006

AP - Sep 29, 2:25 pm EDT
More Photos

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Terrell Owens screamed it on the sideline against Philadelphia, in the locker room after a loss and repeated it again Wednesday: "Why am I here?"

The volatile receiver admits he's frustrated with his role on the Dallas Cowboys, but not simply because he's off to his worst start in years. According to T.O., he'd be fine if Dallas was winning and he had mediocre statistics.

It's the Cowboys' being 2-2 combined with the reduced numbers that he can't tolerate.

"I do have a problem when I don't feel like I'm involved enough," he said. "I know I can make a difference. That's not me being arrogant. I just know what I bring to the table. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. ... I want to win. I came here to help this team win."

Owens spoke the entire 45 minutes the locker room was open to reporters, passionately describing his feelings on many subjects. He even revealed that the ongoing issues he's faced the last few months, from a hamstring injury in training camp to an accidental overdose, have driven him to "sit in my house in the dark" instead of having much of a social life.

ADVERTISEMENT

He never directly criticized quarterback Drew Bledsoe or coach Bill Parcells, the playbook or the play calling.

In fact, T.O. had few specific complaints -- just the general one about not getting the ball enough.

"I haven't really gotten started yet," he said.

Owens has 17 catches for 232 yards and one touchdown. It's his fewest catches after four games since 1999 and his fewest yards at this point since 2002. His three-game streak without reaching the end zone is his longest drought since 2000.

In a loss Sunday against the Eagles, his former team, Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards. However, there were 13 passes thrown his way -- five more than to any other Dallas receiver, Parcells noted Wednesday. Owens dropped one and two were intercepted, including one that likely would've been a touchdown.

"The opportunities are there," he said. "We're just not connecting."

Owens knew when he signed with Dallas in March he was joining an offense that wasn't designed to showcase a specific receiver. However, he acknowledged for the first time Wednesday he expected that to change for him -- like it did in Philadelphia.

"Dude, I am playmaker," he said. "These guys know that. It's simple. ... Get the ball in the playmaker's hands."

Owens was mostly supportive of Bledsoe, especially compared to how he's talked about his previous quarterbacks. He even added he is working on his route-running "to give the quarterback better looks, things of that nature."

More Photos

"I think we all need to play better," Owens said. "That was one of the things he came up to me and said. Even after the game, he sent me a text that said, `Stay with me,' he'll play better for me. You can only respect that. He's trying his best to get the ball to me in certain situations. It's hard when he has a lot of pressure on him."

Bledsoe reiterated Wednesday that T.O. is a quality receiver who wants the ball and the quarterback is happy to try getting it to him.

"I've never had a receiver, at least not one who is worth anything, that was happy with the number of times they touch the ball," Bledsoe said. "I told him when he got here, `Listen, I don't expect you to be happy all the time. If you don't get to touch the ball enough, I don't expect you to like that. At the same time, you have to keep playing hard for me and give me good information when you come back.' And he's been very good about that."

Owens thinks he's been good about it, too, adding he's not trying "to come in and stir things up ... to create more controversy and distraction around here."

"I wouldn't say I'm unhappy," said Owens, who is making $10 million this season as part of a $25 million, three-year deal. "I'm not happy about the losing. I just feel like there's really an opportunity for something really special to happen here in Dallas with the team that we have. Once we get the nucleus of guys in the right positions to play and play as a unit, then we're going to be OK."

But is T.O. going to be OK?

"I don't go nowhere," he said. "I don't do nothing. It's frustrating. It's frustrating just to go (through) what I have been going through since training camp. I've had the hamstring. Then I break my hand. Then I go to the hospital. Then personal stuff.

"My way of venting is going out there on Sunday, trying to win ballgames. Now it's added frustration, especially when I know we have a good team. And the team we lost to, they know they should have lost. We made too many mistakes to win. We are stopping ourselves."

Owens watched the game film of the Eagles game with teammates Monday ("It was sickening," he said), then saw a replay of the Fox broadcast Tuesday night on the NFL Network.

He was still peeved Wednesday about some of the things discussed about him, especially the repeated shots of him barking at his teammates.

"The guys in the booth are saying, `There he goes again, he's up to his old stuff again,"' he said. "It's very unfair. ... It makes me hesitant to try to do what I need to do."

Besides, if he wanted to really do something shocking and get across his message, he could always borrow from the repertoire of his Dallas predecessor, Keyshawn Johnson.

"I need to get a shirt -- `Give me the damn ball!"' Owens said, smiling wide and laughing. "I am just kidding. I am just kidding."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cowboys-to&prov=ap&type=lgns

sa_butta
10-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Im not a Cowboys fan, but I have been watching the games. There are several things wrong with the team #1 is their offensive line is not giving enough time to Bledsoe, therefore it is hard for him to get the ball to TO. #2 is the dropped balls, I dont know how many drops TO had last week but Im sure it was at least three. I think the OC needs to find ways to get him the damn ball and get some extra protection back there so they can go deep.

ducks
10-12-2006, 02:06 PM
In a loss Sunday against the Eagles, his former team, Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards. However, there were 13 passes thrown his way -- five more than to any other Dallas receiver, Parcells noted Wednesday.
also to dropped 2 passses
GUY SHOULD SHUT THE HELL UP

stretch
10-12-2006, 02:13 PM
In a loss Sunday against the Eagles, his former team, Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards. However, there were 13 passes thrown his way -- five more than to any other Dallas receiver, Parcells noted Wednesday.
also to dropped 2 passses
GUY SHOULD SHUT THE HELL UP
2 drops, 3 catches, 2 intercepted balls, almost a 3rd one if i recall. and several other absolutely shitty throws. Owens needs the ball more, and needs the ball to be thrown correctly to him. its hard for any reciever to produce when the ball is thrown 10 feet over your head or 10 yards short of you, or to someone on the opposing team. bledsoe fucking sucks.

ducks
10-12-2006, 05:34 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/f...s.304db53.html

Asked if he thought Bledsoe was letting the team down, Owens said: "I'm just out there doing my job, I'm not trying to point any fingers at anybody, but you guys know just as well as I know."

Glad he's not pointing fingers.

IceColdBrewski
10-12-2006, 06:05 PM
TO says there's plenty of blame to go around. :D

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/53985

johngateswhiteley
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
to is such a bitch...how in the world can anyone like this guy? not to mention wtf did the cowboys sign him. basically to said:

"i am not here to blame anyone...i mean, its bledsoe's fault...i am open all the time...you see it, its all bledsoe."

...since i hate the cowboys, this is all beautiful...and completely predictable from the beginning of the season. i don't care if he ends up playing well or not. guy is a whiny baby...kind of like peter burns. :blah

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-12-2006, 07:35 PM
The solution is Romo. :smokin

Hook Dem
10-13-2006, 08:08 AM
All the Cowboy haters are out in full force right now! When they start winning, the haters will be nowhere to be found. :sleep :flipoff

johnsmith
10-13-2006, 08:30 AM
All the Cowboy haters are out in full force right now! When they start winning, the haters will be nowhere to be found. :sleep :flipoff

No, I complain as loudly when the Cowboys win as I do when they lose. Only problem for you guys though is that they've been losing for over a decade now.

katyon6th
10-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Win or lose, I hate the Cowboys with a great passion.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-13-2006, 09:11 AM

Don't worry, I don't hold that against you.

Fillmoe
10-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Bledsoe is a statue.... hes gonna continue to get sacked if he holds on to the ball for that long

ducks
10-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Terrell Owens and Cowboys wide receivers coach Todd Haley got into a heated argument during a meeting on Wednesday

The incident ended with both yelling, shouting, "Don't disrespect me like that," ESPN's Ed Werder reported Friday.
Owens, however, still took first-team reps this week, is still considered a major part of the game plan, and is still going to start this weekend against Houston.
Cowboys coach Bill Parcells made no mention of the incident in his news conference Friday morning. Owens was in the locker room during media availability, but did not speak to reporters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2624142

BeerIsGood!
10-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Knowing that would only make the bukkaking soooooo much more fun now... :blah

dimsah
10-14-2006, 06:02 AM
TO says there's plenty of blame to go around. :D

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/53985
That is hilarious.

ducks
10-14-2006, 10:17 AM
T.O. and receivers coach 'merely co-workers and that's it'

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
October 13, 2006

More Photos

Terrell Owens is done talking to his position coach.

T.O. said on his radio show Friday that his relationship with Dallas Cowboys receivers coach Todd Haley was ruined by a blowup this week. It began when Owens missed the start of Wednesday's practice because of an upset stomach, and Haley berated him for being late. Owens held his tongue then, but they later argued during a meeting.

The story getting out seems to bother Owens the most because Haley vowed since training camp that all internal matters would stay behind closed doors. Owens spoke with reporters for 45 minutes Wednesday without ever mentioning any problems with Haley. But the incident was reported by several media outlets Friday before Owens gave his side of the story later on his weekly show.

From now on, T.O. said, "there will be nothing else, no other dialogue" between him and Haley.

"There will be no more friendly nothing because I don't trust anybody like that," Owens said. "I will go out and practice hard. I will respect him as a coach, and he should respect me as a player. Anything outside of that I am not going to be able to deal with.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Right now, we are merely co-workers, and that's it," he added.

Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards in a loss to Philadelphia on Sunday. It was a key division game for the Cowboys and a personal revenge game for Owens after the Eagles dumped him midway through last season.

TV cameras showed Owens screaming at Haley -- who also carries the title "passing game coordinator" -- on the sideline during the game. Although teammates said some of his rants were encouragement, Owens admitted saying, "Why am I here?" about his limited action. Coach Bill Parcells later noted that 13 balls were thrown to Owens, five more than anyone else; two were intercepted and one was dropped.

The confrontation between receiver and coach occurred Wednesday, the first time the Cowboys were back on the practice field. A strength coach was sent to get Owens when he was absent.

"By the time I step on the field, Todd starts cursing at me, this and that, and I'm like, 'Dude, I was in the restroom,"' Owens said. "He said, 'I don't (care) what you were doing. Everybody else is out here."'

Owens said he didn't respond, although he later apologized to Parcells and was told, "All right, just try to get out here a little earlier."

Then Owens and Haley butted heads during a meeting.

"I was venting, he was venting," Owens said. "I felt it stayed behind closed doors.

"It's all about frustration. Everybody is still frustrated from the loss on Sunday. At some point, we had our time to vent on Monday, Tuesday and have that bad taste that sick feeling out of your mouth. On Wednesday, it's a new day. It's a new game plan, a new team that we're getting prepared for. That's where our focus and direction should be. But obviously Todd, he's been frustrated, and he's taking it out on other people."

More Photos

Parcells does not allow assistant coaches to talk to reporters. Team officials did not immediately return calls. Parcells said Thursday and Friday he wasn't talking about Owens. Asked why, he said Thursday: "I'm tired of it."

Dallas plays Houston at home Sunday.

Owens has a history of not getting along with coaches, from his position coach to the offensive coordinator to the head coach. It led to his dismissal from San Francisco and Philadelphia.

Although Owens has missed most of the preseason with a hamstring and had a highly publicized accidental overdose, he insists that he's been on his best behavior in his first season in Dallas.

"I know in the back of people's minds they are waiting for something to happen," said Owens, in the first year of a three-year, $25 million contract with the Cowboys. "I have made a conscious effort not to go down those roads again."

Owens made it clear that he'll still listen to Haley, but their discussions must be limited to Xs and Os.

"In business, you have people that work together and don't necessarily get along together," he said.

Owens said "anything is fixable," but he feels his trust in Haley "is being violated."

"I will have a hard time (trusting him) here on out," Owens said.

Marklar MM
10-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Owens is a great receiver and all, but he has to have the most inflated ego in professional sports outside of Shaq.

johnsmith
10-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Owens is a great receiver and all, but he has to have the most inflated ego in professional sports outside of Shaq.

Agreed, Shaq and TO are very similar regarding ego size, but that's where the comparisons come to a complete stop.

midgetonadonkey
10-14-2006, 11:00 AM

God I love you.

johnsmith
10-14-2006, 11:02 AM
God I love you.

Are you talking to God or Katy?

Mr Dio
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
3 TDs

:smokin

dirk4mvp
10-15-2006, 10:02 PM

You could throw Kobe in there.

johnsmith
10-16-2006, 07:14 AM
3 TDs

So does this mean that Cowboys fans will be TO fans for a week now?

johngateswhiteley
10-16-2006, 07:41 AM
So does this mean that Cowboys fans will be TO fans for a week now?

...hmm, all i know is, people who dislike to greatly (me), dislike him even more now. will he ever shut the hell up?

johnsmith
10-16-2006, 07:46 AM
...hmm, all i know is, people who dislike to greatly (me), dislike him even more now. will he ever shut the hell up?

I wish he'd try to swallow more "supplements". Yeah, I said it, what are you gonna do about it Cowboy fan?

johngateswhiteley
10-16-2006, 08:31 AM
I wish he'd try to swallow more "supplements". Yeah, I said it, what are you gonna do about it Cowboy fan?

...well, i am going to make a thread.

LB7
10-16-2006, 08:39 AM
We will probably just enjoy watching the Cowboys win. If TO can score 2 or 3 a game then the Cowboys will keep winning and we will keep smiling at your pure TO and Cowboy hate. I can dislike the guy all I want, but there is no denying what he can do on the field if Drew "The Statue" Bledsoe can get him the ball. TO and Terry Glenn...now thats a good WR combination.