PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Finley no longer new ingredient

Solid D
10-13-2006, 01:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101306.01D.SpursFinley.2e86542.html

Web Posted: 10/12/2006 11:49 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

A year ago, Michael Finley was the new guy, a 32-year-old transfer student using training camp as his personal weeklong orientation seminar.
Finley needed to meet his new teammates and coaches. He needed to learn the Spurs' defensive system. He needed to get accustomed to coming off the bench, to playing with a dominant big man.

More than anything, Finley needed to get used to seeing the Spurs' logo on his jersey instead of that of the Dallas Mavericks.

"Just imagine a kid in a classroom trying to soak up calculus and he's never even had beginning math," Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer said. "Michael's such a perfectionist and he wants to get everything right. So, last year, he was trying to take in every word, every subtlety.

"I think he's so much more relaxed now."

Finley agrees. As he prepares for his second season with the Spurs, he admits he is still learning. The difference this year, however, is he feels comfortable doing so.

"Last year, I couldn't really go out there and play," Finley said. "I was thinking about where I should be, about not making mistakes."

Finley struggled, at times, with the transition. Early in the season, he had to look to the sideline to see what the coaches wanted.

Finley also had to learn to make do with fewer minutes and shots. Both he and Brent Barry had a hard time settling into a rhythm while sharing time off the bench. That could be less of a problem this season if the Spurs use a small lineup more often.

Finley finished the season averaging 10.1 points and 3.2 rebounds while making a respectable 39.4 percent of his 3-pointers. His work ethic was impressive enough that the coaches already consider him one of the greatest professionals to come through the organization.
After Finley's production gradually improved during the second half of the season, he was at his best in the playoffs. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich moved him into the starting lineup for Game 3 of the Western Conference semifinals against Dallas, and he averaged just under 46 minutes for the remainder of the series.

"Legs-wise, injury-wise, I felt great," he said. "I had about 20 more games in me, but unfortunately we weren't able to play them."

While Finley packed for the summer, the Mavericks — the same team that had waived him nine months earlier — advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time. Finley didn't park himself in front of the TV to watch.

"I've moved on," he said. "They've moved on. I think the toughest part was just losing in general. Especially in a series, I think, we really let slip through our hands. The opponent — that had nothing really to do with it.

"It was just tough to go back in the summer with a lot of what-ifs. A lot of teams (say) that, but we truly had a lot of what-ifs."

Still, Finley doesn't have nearly as many questions this preseason as he did a year ago. After spending the previous summer debating where to play and rehabbing an ankle injury, he was able to use this offseason more productively. Last month, he married his longtime girlfriend, Rebekah.

Finley also returned home to Chicago, as he does each summer, to work on his game. To get adjusted to the NBA's new ball, his trainer put him through the same type of fundamental drills he used to do in high school.

Finley showed up at camp feeling fresh and, most important, comfortable. He knows his role. He knows the team.

"I'm able to be more vocal offensively, defensively, telling a lot of the new guys where to go, what to do," he said. "Last year, I was the new guy."

Notebook: Tony Parker returned to practice Thursday. He sat out Wednesday's workout after a cut he suffered on his right ring finger in Sunday's game against Maccabi Tel Aviv became infected and caused part of his upper arm to swell "like a baseball." "It's OK now," Parker said. "All I know is the guy who cut me infected my blood." ... Eric Williams (right Achilles' contusion) and Melvin Sanders (left groin strain) also worked out. Sanders, who was limited by the injury for much of training camp, looked impressive during the practice. Beno Udrih (sore right hamstring) didn't practice. ... Adidas announced Thursday that Tim Duncan will have a new signature shoe ("The Stealth") in stores on April 13, 2007. The shoe is part of Adidas' new "It Takes 5ive" campaign featuring Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Chauncey Billups and Gilbert Arenas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

DieMrBond
10-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Finley needed to meet his new teammates and coaches. He needed to learn the Spurs' defensive system. He needed to get accustomed to coming off the bench, to playing with a dominant big man.

Subtle?

ATX Spur
10-13-2006, 02:15 AM
Well Findog is the consummate professional. I just hope he shows enough grit and nastiness this season, like we saw flashes of during last year's playoffs.

timvp
10-13-2006, 02:25 AM
Good one.

ATX Spur
10-13-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm still reserving hope for Beno, but the pink font is just funny. :lol

gospursgojas
10-13-2006, 02:31 AM
I said it in the other thread....

Finley will be the MAN this season

Slomo
10-13-2006, 03:24 AM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/pinksmiflipoff.gif

:spin

milkyway21
10-13-2006, 03:25 AM
... Adidas announced Thursday that Tim Duncan will have a new signature shoe ("The Stealth") in stores on April 13, 2007 The Stealth will surely fit to Duncan's mysterious and stoic personality aside from being so "silent" . You don't what really know he feels about the new season or new teammates. (I've checked his site, wah he has not updated his diary for like months now. He was still talking about the All-Star or last season's new acquisitions:lol).

:wakeup

Kori Ellis
10-13-2006, 03:27 AM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/pinksmiflipoff.gif

http://www.spurstalk.com/pinklol.gif

polandprzem
10-13-2006, 03:28 AM
http://forum.suple.us/images/smiles/sauer036.gif

Slomo
10-13-2006, 03:52 AM
... Adidas announced Thursday that Tim Duncan will have a new signature shoe ("The Stealth") in stores on April 13, 2007
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/IGS/IGS325/IS526-029.jpg

Public service announcement: While at work do not use google image to search for the term "bare foot" :oops

Bruno
10-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Quite funny.

It's not a big surprise that Udrih didn't pratice for the moment. He said that he hoped to practice again only next week.

Solid D
10-13-2006, 07:42 AM
"The Stealth"

:rollin :clap :downspin:

Gin N Juice
10-13-2006, 08:39 AM

Agreed, sixth man of the year canidate!

Dave McNulla
10-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Tony Parker returned to practice Thursday. He sat out Wednesday's workout after a cut he suffered on his right ring finger in Sunday's game against Maccabi Tel Aviv became infected and caused part of his upper arm to swell "like a baseball." "It's OK now," Parker said. "All I know is the guy who cut me infected my blood."time for an aids test.

1Parker1
10-13-2006, 08:50 AM
"It's OK now," Parker said. "All I know is the guy who cut me infected my blood."

Eww.

I really hope Spurs win a championship with Finley and Horry before they both retire.

Mr. Body
10-13-2006, 09:01 AM
This is the year Finley really pays off. He was somewhat of a non-factor last season - so that I was surprised he averaged even 10 ppg - but really found his place in the playoffs. I expect a lot more aggressiveness from him now.

thispego
10-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Tony Parker returned to practice Thursday. He sat out Wednesday's workout after a cut he suffered on his right ring finger in Sunday's game against Maccabi Tel Aviv became infected and caused part of his upper arm to swell "like a baseball." "It's OK now," Parker said. "All I know is the guy who cut me infected my blood."
SICK! dirty fingernailed foreigners

wildbill2u
10-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Finley will be a strong candidate for 6th man this year IMHO because he will get a lot of minutes and will know how to use them effectively. That will show up in the stats and that's what rules the 6th man award most years.

RC's Boss
10-13-2006, 11:20 AM
I second that. I think he will be a BIG factor this year coming off the bench. His age won't be as important since his role is reduced.

RC's Boss
10-13-2006, 11:21 AM
time for an aids test.
:lol

ploto
10-13-2006, 11:58 AM
I really like Finley and I happen to believe that part of the reason for the small ball of the Dallas series was how well Finley was playing. When someone is playing that well, you want them on the court. He was definitely one of the best 5 players in the play-offs. I think, though, that Spurs fans might want to get ready for more small ball- especially in the play-offs because you want time for the best players. When Pop looks over and his choices are Elson, Oberto, Butler or Finley-- I think Finley gets the nod over them all, as Pop would rather play him.

SenorSpur
10-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Absolutely loved Fin's nastiness, heart and desire during the Dallas playoff series.

tlongII
10-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Washed up.

Solid D
10-13-2006, 01:09 PM
I hope "John Boy" Udrih was able to practice today. http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/beno_udrih.jpg :flypig :cheer

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/2792/johnboy1.jpg

milkyway21
10-13-2006, 08:05 PM

Public service announcement: While at work do not use google image to search for the term "bare foot" :oopswhoa ! :lmao :dizzy :dizzy

nice sig "fuck small ball" there, Slomo :tu

Das Texan
10-13-2006, 08:51 PM
has beno's sore vagina allowed him to practice any this year yet?

Solid D
10-13-2006, 11:59 PM
The showed some video of practice today on WOAI at 5:20 PM and Beno was shooting FTs (with Jared Reiner) in his practice gear.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-14-2006, 12:00 AM
That's the only gear he's gonna be wearin from now on.

milkyway21
10-14-2006, 12:15 AM
too Bad for Beno, you can see a lot are frustrated w/ him right now. I was once had a big expectation on this kid. If I remember correctly he was the only ROokie after Tim Duncan who won the Rookie of the Month for the Spurs. Am I right? And that was awesome bec of the league's competition, sometimes there's so much hype you never know if all of the awardees were deserving.
Now he's just like an after-thought. Whoa-"4th PG?"-Pops :cry. Too Bad!

regarding Finely who would think he could survive the whole season last yr w/ no injury after a surgery and age?
Amazing! knock on wood :clap

THE SIXTH MAN
10-14-2006, 12:43 AM

:toast Props on the new sig.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-14-2006, 12:50 AM
:tu