PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Google: Anti-Piracy System Could Hurt Youtube Edgy Appeal

Nbadan
10-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Anti-piracy system could hurt YouTube
Agreements require video site to deploy an audio-signature technology
By Alex Veiga
Updated: 3:02 p.m. MT Oct 12, 2006

LOS ANGELES - A technology designed to detect copyright material could give YouTube a needed dose of legal legitimacy and calm any concerns Google Inc. has about spending $1.65 billion on the Internet video site. But that same technology could hurt YouTube's edgy appeal.

While YouTube is known as the place to find almost any kind of video clip, recent agreements with high-profile content creators require YouTube to deploy an audio-signature technology that can spot a low-quality copy of a licensed music video or other content. YouTube would have to substitute an approved version of the clip or take the material down automatically. Analysts said that stepped-up monitoring by entertainment companies raises the likelihood that YouTube fans won't find what they're used to getting — and will go searching for the next online video rebel.

"There's very little that holds YouTube's audience to YouTube except the belief that whatever they want to see, there is a very good chance YouTube will have it," said Joe Laszlo, senior analyst with Jupiter Research.

"If the video migrates to other places, I fear the audience will too, so YouTube needs to be really careful about how it does this," he said. YouTube offers a gold mine of clips depicting all manner of amateur hijinks and tons of unauthorized commercial videos. Kevin Davis, a 16-year-old from Torrance, Calif., likes to peruse YouTube for music videos by R&B singer Chris Brown and rappers Lil Wayne and The Game. "I find what I'm looking for most of the time," he said.

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15240348)

$1.65 billion dollar lemon.

Zunni
10-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Google didn't buy it to keep it as is. They plan to use it to roll out a monstrous amount of streaming ads.

PixelPusher
10-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Google didn't buy it to keep it as is. They plan to use it to roll out a monstrous amount of streaming ads.
Yeah, that'll REALLY up the appeal.

101A
10-13-2006, 10:03 AM
I wonder if they'll keep censoring conservative content?

Nbadan
10-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I wonder if they'll keep censoring conservative content?

They don't censor conservative content. I have had a few interesting exchanges with wing-nuts who post their diatribe on YouTube.