PDA

View Full Version : Parker #25 on top 50

SpursWillOwn
10-13-2006, 04:40 AM
25. Tony Parker
by Pascal Giberne

The first time I met TP, he was only 15 years old. Tony was the starting point guard of INSEP, a basketball team in France, and the kid was already murdering veteran players with his blazing speed and superior playmaking skills. While he was a promising young player, he didn’t get much buzz in Europe, and some NBA scouts had high school players like Andre Barrett and Omar Cook way ahead of him.

But Parker didn’t care. He was dreaming big and every time we talked basketball, he was asking me questions about the League: Iverson, Marbury, Kidd. “Tell me about Allen,” Tony would ask. “Is he that quick? How good is he? I don’t want to be like him, though I know I can score. Me, I want to become a true point guard. I really just want to help my team win…”

Did he ever. Looking at him now, nine years after I first saw him, it’s kind of scary. He is still murdering people, only now it’s not in a sub-par French pro basketball division but in the NBA. A regular at the Hollywood parties, thanks to sweetheart Eva Longoria, Tony has become a popular icon worldwide. Paparazzi loves him and he is now recognized as one of the most exciting point guards in the NBA.

And now, with Tony starting to shoot the ball like a sniper, the best is yet to come. Is there anything this kid can’t do?

Well…you know I love you Tony, and you’re my man, but how about stopping that rap thing? Really…

http://slamonline.com/online/2006/10/25-tony-parker/

ATX Spur
10-13-2006, 04:45 AM
Me, I want to become a true point guard.

Alot of assists must not be in his definition of a true point guard.

freemeat
10-13-2006, 05:30 AM
One of the things I find interesting in this is the fact that Jason Terry is ranked below both Manu and Tony. NOT because it means this article claims any one player is more talented than any other, but because it relates to how important a player is to his team. Because we've already seen Terry on the list, it means we won't be seeing Devin Harris. And that can only mean that they are ranking Dirk VERY high on this list of players most valuable to their team. It's only a compliment to the Spurs organization. The way I interpret this is that if Dallas loses Dirk and the Spurs lose Timmy on the same day, obviously the Spurs have more talent remaining.

What sucks for Dallas? Timmy is obviously the better, more talented and experienced player.

Get excited for '06-'07.

stretch
10-13-2006, 06:14 AM
One of the things I find interesting in this is the fact that Jason Terry is ranked below both Manu and Tony. NOT because it means this article claims any one player is more talented than any other, but because it relates to how important a player is to his team. Because we've already seen Terry on the list, it means we won't be seeing Devin Harris. And that can only mean that they are ranking Dirk VERY high on this list of players most valuable to their team. It's only a compliment to the Spurs organization. The way I interpret this is that if Dallas loses Dirk and the Spurs lose Timmy on the same day, obviously the Spurs have more talent remaining.

What sucks for Dallas? Timmy is obviously the better, more talented and experienced player.

Get excited for '06-'07.

you're nuts. there is no fucking way in hell would the Spurs be better without Duncan, than the Mavs would be without Dirk. you must be outside your fucking mind to believe that.

Bruno
10-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Did he ever. Looking at him now, nine years after I first saw him, it’s kind of scary. He is still murdering people, only now it’s not in a sub-par French pro basketball division but in the NBA.

INSEP didn't play in a pro league. They play in an amateur league.

One of the things I find interesting in this is the fact that Jason Terry is ranked below both Manu and Tony.

You've pointed one of Mavs weakness : the lack of a good second option behind Dirk. When you look at every contenders, they have at least 2 players at an all star level, Mavs are really deep but they only have Dirk who is at an all star level.

thispego
10-13-2006, 09:53 AM
you're nuts. there is no fucking way in hell would the Spurs be better without Duncan, than the Mavs would be without Dirk. you must be outside your fucking mind to believe that.
:rolleyes yeah right, without tim there are still two all stars on this team, how many does dallas have besides dirk?

shutup