PDA

View Full Version : Amare says he's "about 100 percent"

ducks
10-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Amare says he's "about 100 percent"

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
October 14, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- Italy was good for Amare Stoudemire.

The dynamic Phoenix Suns power forward said Saturday that he's "about 100 percent" healthy after his up-and-down recovery from microfracture knee surgery.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Right now I haven't felt any pain, no discomfort," he said. "I'm glad to be back."

The Suns returned from their European training camp Thursday and held an open practice for fans Saturday before leaving for Las Vegas, where they play the Los Angeles Lakers in a preseason game Sunday night.

Stoudemire's status looked shaky at best last week when stiffness in his knees forced him to sit out a practice in Italy.

Since then, he's participated in every practice and the team's two preseason games in Germany.

"I had a day off practice and then that next day I just felt great," Stoudemire said. "Then I came back on back-to-back practices and felt even better. Then I came back for the game and felt even better. Each day I've been feeling better."

Coach Mike D'Antoni is encouraged.

"He's looking better on the court," D'Antoni said. "Every once in a while he'll explode with a big dunk. You see him running better and he's more fluid, so it has to be good news."

The 24-year-old underwent surgery on his left knee a year ago, shortly after signing a five-year, $73 million contract.

He tried to come back last March, playing in three games before shutting it down. Eventually, he had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

Since then, he has had good days and bad days, but believes he has finally broken through.

"It's tough to get in shape, it's tough to do certain things when you're feeling pain every time you make a move," Stoudemire said. "Now that that's over, I'm ready to roll."

Stoudemire drew a big cheer when he was introduced to the fans at U.S. Airways Center on Saturday. In the team's brief public scrimmage, his most notable play was an emphatic blocked shot.

"That was nice, to finally be back within the team," he said, "just enjoying the atmosphere. It's great. It's been a long time coming. Last season was so painful to go through."

Stoudemire's teammates are not placing all their hopes on the big guy returning to the dominant form he showed two seasons ago.

Steve Nash noted the Suns made it to the Western Conference finals a year ago before being eliminated by Dallas.

"Last year we were pretty close without him," he said. "If Raja (Bell) hadn't tweaked his calf I think we had a great chance to win that series. It would be awesome to have him, but if we don't we still feel like we've got a lot of good pieces to work with."

D'Antoni doesn't know if Stoudemire will be a starter when the Suns open the season Oct. 31 at the Los Angeles Clippers. Nash said working Stoudemire into the mix "is going to take some time."

"We've played together for a year without him and our game was a little different than it was the year before," Nash said, "so I think it's' going to take time to fit him back into the system."

Stoudemire said he still needs a periodic day off, and the Suns are being patient.

"If we can get Amare back 100 percent by opening day, great," D'Antoni said. "If not, sometime during the season he'll be 100 percent. We've just got to mesh everybody together and keep playing and knock wood and see what we can do."

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-14-2006, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he was out for another season.

trueD
10-15-2006, 12:46 AM
Well THIS would have been good to know at fantasy draft today...

ATX Spur
10-15-2006, 02:32 AM
Well THIS would have been good to know at fantasy draft today...

Exactly what I was thinking...

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2006, 02:59 AM
dont believe it when it, wait till he plays at least 10nba games or till allstar break to make a conclusion

T.F. Storm
10-15-2006, 06:45 AM
I wonder what 100% in Amare language really means. I seem to remember hearing him talking about hoping to be 110% by next month, 120% by the month after that...Or something along those lines. :lol I'll believe it when I see it.

And I hope Amare gets healthy, but at this point I have to wonder if he'll ever be the same. Can't help but think maybe it's but a pipe dream.

Streakyshooter08
10-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Mhm... it will be interesting to see how the next games turn out. I wish him the best.

ducks
10-15-2006, 09:59 AM
does not the suns want to sell out then tell their fans amare is out again?

JMarkJohns
10-15-2006, 11:44 AM
I believe his statement to mean "I'm playing with 100% of my current playing ability"... It doesn't mean he won't get better later on, but for right now, this is all he's got.

Which, for Suns fans, should come as a complete shock.

The depressing kind of shock...

His 100% now will likely be )at least for this year) 20+ minutes per and averages ranging from 12ppg, 5rpg and -1bpg to 16ppg, 7rpg and 1+bpg...

If he can adjust and develop some fundamentals, footwork and post moves, he'll come back a much better player in a few years, but for right now, his 100% is 50% of old Amare.

boutons_
10-15-2006, 12:56 PM
"50% of old Amare"

yep, a real shame.

Like a 30+ year old vet with declining athleticism, a powered-down Amare will have to learn smart bball rather than overpowering bball.

I think his biggest challenge will be emotional/mental rather than physical. "How can I play and contribute with what I've got left?"

Nashfan
10-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Guess you did not watch or hear the game yesterday, JMarksJohns. Amare played thirty minutes, basically with the bench players, and scored 15 points, had 9 rebounds and 5 steals and 1 assist and I think 2 or 3 blocks. Pretty good numbers playing without Nash in his time on the floor. Some pictures of the game are up at NBA.com and he looks pretty explosive to me!

MrChug
10-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, any athlete wants as much of a psychological advantage over opponents as possible. I seriously doubt that if I was sorta injured I'd want to keep that as much of a secret as possible. That way I stay the same psychological threat. All my opponent has in mind is the memory of me fully healthy. I really don't think he'll be as dominant as he was pre-injury.

JMarkJohns
10-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Nashfan, saw the rebound, steals and blocks and was encouraged, but he's not vintage Amare and won't be for a while. It may very well come this year, but 15 points in 31 minutes vs. scrubs isn't what Amare would have done.

flipcritic
10-16-2006, 10:59 PM
He's showing signs of his explosiveness again

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/richard_deitsch/10/16/amare/index.html

Nashfan
10-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Still encouraging for what he has been through. Also Banks is not the best point guard to get Amare the ball. With Nash he probably could have scored 25 points. :spin

Xylus
10-17-2006, 01:27 AM
I'm not really worried about his improvement...it'll be there. If he's healthy, he'll average more than 20 and 9 by midseason. I'm worried, though, that it might take awhile to perfectly incorporate him in an offense that had to battle without him all last season.

Then again, Nash is brilliant at including everyone in the merry-go-round.