PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Magic Random Thoughts

Kori Ellis
10-15-2006, 12:23 AM
The Arena
The court looks newer than it's ever looked. The hardwood very shiny and bright. They also re-did the walkways when you are going to your seat. They are glossed up and have some different color pebbles or something in them. On the Lighthouse, the scoreboard has been updated in different colors but it wasn't working until into the second half. I think I like the Spurs motto this year .. "Team is Everything" but I hate their new shooting shirts. From the front they look fine -- mostly black. But when they turn around they have a weird white yoke with the Spurs logo and it looks a little too "Rodeo" for my liking. They also wear them with white pants (with a black stripe), so from the front it looks like they are wearing black tops and white bottoms. It's just odd.

The Starters
TimmyD - Looks to be in great shape. They only played the starters 19 minutes each but overall it seems like he's ready to go.

Bruce - He looks like he has a sweet stroke, which is unusual for him early in the season. In years past, he has struggled to open the season at times. He also looks like he's getting higher off the ground on his jumper for some reason.

Fabricio - Did a good job on the glass with a couple good tap outs. Didn't have many opportunities offensively.

Tony - If he wanted to, he could have gotten to the rim with ease tonight. He was looking to get other players involved and take it a little easy. He had two long J's out near the arc and the shots looked good as they left his hand.

Manu - Manu looks like he's Manu. He was super aggressive offensively and in the post game interviews he said this is one of the few seasons that he has been really healthy to start. Hopefully he stays that way. I want to see Manu be Manu all season.

The Bench
Finley - Only played around 12 minutes but he looks like he's ready to go.

Horry - Had a nice spring in his step, hit a 3 and nice scoop shot of some sort.

Barry - If they are going to use him as the backup point, he is going to have some adjusting to do. He said that he needs to get his legs. Did a nice active job on the glass.

Sanders - I don't know if he has a chance to make the team, but he's obviously well liked. He seems to pal around with Duncan a lot, as he even sat on the floor talking to him during the game when both were out at the same time. He's apparently a very hard worker and a good practice guy. I just don't know if he's good enough to keep. I wish he was taller.

Elson - He didn't play well at all. No rebounds in 17 minutes. He backed down Darko, then tried to shoot a turnaround and he got the shot blocked badly. He needs to stick to what he knows -- running the floor and getting his points in transition. He was fairly absent on D except he did take a charge (or two). He needs to get in better rebounding position; hopefully he improves in that area.

Bonner - I wasn't sure about Bonner when the Spurs traded for him, but I'm starting to like him. He had four turnovers but they weren't turnovers from just being lazy -- so that's good. I'm sure he's going to hit some key 3's for the Spurs this season and become a fan favorite with his hustle.

Vaughn - He dished five assists in 17 minutes and looked pretty steady. I'm not confident in him as a primary backup (and I'd hate to see him start if Tony ever went down) but hey ... we have Brent Barry and Beno too, so he's not bad.

Jamar Smith - I don't think this guy is ready for the NBA yet. He is active but seems pretty lost.

Charles Lee -- I think that he's my pick for an Antonio Daniels type combo guard in this league. He played only 8 minutes but I really liked what I saw. I have no clue if the Spurs will keep him or if they even really need a combo guard, but I think he has a good chance to become a real NBA player down the line.

Melzer - Rich didn't get many touches, but I like his height and long arms if the Spurs are looking for a small forward to groom for the future.

Butler - Jackie looked good. He got 7 points, 2 boards and 2 steals in eight minutes. On one play, he stole the ball, lumbered down court, got his shot blocked, got the ball back and put it back up, was fouled and went to the line. He played 3-4 minutes matched up with Dwight Howard and held his own. He did a good job dislodging Howard and had some sweet post up moves. I think he's the future center -- not any time soon though as he's really raw.

Famutimi - He jacked up three shots in less than 4 minutes. Seeing a 6'5 guy wearing #23 and sporting a headband was a little odd.

Reiner - Four minutes and didn't do anything. I don't think he has a chance at making this roster.

Other Notes
Pop looked nice with his button down oxford shirt and jacket with no tie.

When Horry and Finley came out of the game and wanted to sit on the bench, there's so many guys on the team that they had to wait like a minute for different players to scoot down, more move to the floor, etc. They should cut a couple guys tonight just to make more room :)

They announced the crowd as a sellout but only about 2/3 of the bottom level was full.

Coyote looks like he's in good shape. (That's for Whottt).

FromWayDowntown
10-15-2006, 12:34 AM
I have an on-going complaint about the AT&T Center and it regards the redundancy of the information available to those in the building. Every year, I write a critique to SSE and suggest that among the things they could do to enhance my enjoyment of the game is to provide me with a variety of information concerning what's actually going on in the game. It doesn't have to be a static board that maintains different numbers; it would be enough that they just roll additional numbers through on one of the auxillary scoreboards. It seems extraordinarily odd to me that they have 8 scoreboards in the building that all contain exactly the same information.

In noting many of the new touches that Kori saw, I initially had my hopes up that the Spurs might have finally acceded to my suggestion. There are new, smaller digital boards that appear to be immediately below the Super Boxes on the west end of the building (nearer the visitors' tunnel), and another immediately below the Baseline Bums' sections on the east end of the building (nearer the Spurs tunnel) -- there may be others elsewhere too. But it was obvious that for tonight at least, those boards were simply there to run additional advertising.

Having now been to several different arenas around the league, I have to say that San Antonio consistently offers the least information to those in attendance.

It frustrates the hell out of me.

angel_luv
10-15-2006, 12:35 AM
but I hate their new shooting shirts. From the front they look fine -- mostly black. But when they turn around they have a weird white yoke with the Spurs logo and it looks a little too "Rodeo" for my liking.

I am so with you on this one. I noticed the Magic guys had the same style shirts. Maybe it is the new "look" nba wide.

Kori Ellis
10-15-2006, 12:40 AM
I am so with you on this one. I noticed the Magic guys had the same style shirts. Maybe it is the new "look" nba wide.

Yeah, when I saw the Spurs wearing them in France, I was hoping they were just the European version of their shooting shirts, but I guess not. :spin

Kori Ellis
10-15-2006, 12:41 AM

Having now been to several different arenas around the league, I have to say that San Antonio consistently offers the least information to those in attendance.

It frustrates the hell out of me.

I have thought the same thing at times, but I don't get frustrated because I get stat sheets throughout the game. What kind of specifics are you looking for? (I'm just curious)

SpursWillOwn
10-15-2006, 12:44 AM
Technical Fouls: San Antonio - F. Oberto 1 was it for bitching on a call?

angel_luv
10-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Wasn't it a three second violation?

timvp
10-15-2006, 12:48 AM
The sooner Butler passes Elson on the depth charts, the better. Although I'm glad that it's looking like at least Oberto will be the starter. I can live with that.

Now that San Antonio saw Elson in action, perhaps now they can see why timvp wanted no part of Denver's 12th man.

More than half the MLE for this?

Pitiful.

Kori Ellis
10-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Technical Fouls: San Antonio - F. Oberto 1 was it for bitching on a call?

Defensive 3 seconds.

SpursWillOwn
10-15-2006, 12:52 AM
oh ic okay thanks

angel_luv
10-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This is cute. It's about an open practice the guys had earlier today. Military personnel were invited.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/openpractice_06.html

:lol Timmy is such a show off. :)

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2006, 01:01 AM
The sooner Butler passes Elson on the depth charts, the better. Although I'm glad that it's looking like at least Oberto will be the starter. I can live with that.

Now that San Antonio saw Elson in action, perhaps now they can see why timvp wanted no part of Denver's 12th man.

Pitiful.

i bet ya got money on vbookie that fabulous fabricio to start next to td....:D:D

Kori Ellis
10-15-2006, 01:06 AM
I have a little postgame audio, I'll put it up in a few minutes.

angel_luv
10-15-2006, 01:08 AM
I have a little postgame audio, I'll put it up in a few minutes.

:clap Thanks.

xamila rey
10-15-2006, 03:13 AM
thanks Kori i appreciate the post game review that u posted.

Obstructed_View
10-15-2006, 04:03 AM

Pitiful.
So are you going to get all your self-aggrandizing in now just in case? This is like your fourth or fifth post repeating how smart you think you are, as though we didn't read all your posts saying how terrible he was going to be. If you are so sure that he's going to suck maybe you might think about giving him at least a couple of regular season games before you bury him.

Do you go to the horse track and make fun of the people that bet on the longshot when it doesn't win?

timvp
10-15-2006, 04:23 AM
So are you going to get all your self-aggrandizing in now just in case?

In case of what? In case Elson starts playing well? I'm not worried about that. Oberto is clearly the better player if the Spurs think they should start the season with a veteran center.

This is like your fourth or fifth post repeating how smart you think you are, as though we didn't read all your posts saying how terrible he was going to be.

I want the Spurs to win championships. It is frustrating to watch the Spurs mess up an offseason as they have so far. They didn't get a backup point guard. The new starting center they signed sucks. They didn't get a Long Three.

If Elson turns into an All-Star and the Spurs win it all, I'm the happiest guy in town. But if Elson is going to suck and the Spurs still have glaring holes, that is unacceptable.

If you are so sure that he's going to suck maybe you might think about giving him at least a couple of regular season games before you bury him.

Why wait? I said he was going to suck and he's sucking. I'm not the only one who watched the game and noted how horrible he was.

Do you go to the horse track and make fun of the people that bet on the longshot when it doesn't win?

No but I do make a habit of being right when it comes to the Spurs. I said Rasho was a horrible signing for as much as the Spurs gave him. I said Nazr wasn't as good as Spurs fans made him out to be.

I said the Spurs needed to get help on the boards this summer. In response, the Spurs sign a new center who goes without a freakin' rebound in 18 minutes in his first game as a Spur.

Don't hate me because you were defending the move for Elson all summer and now you see him in action and realize timvp was right.

Again.

Obstructed_View
10-15-2006, 07:14 AM
I'm not positive, but since I'd never heard of Elson before the Spurs signed him, I doubt I defended the move beyond one fact: The Spurs at very worst signed two centers that will sit on the bench in the playoffs for a fraction of the cost of the last two that did it, and might actually have a chance of getting in for a couple of minutes.

And if I were going to hate you, it would probably be for the third person thing. In bold, no less.

One thing we have in common: If the Spurs win, I'm the happiest guy in my town. :)

CyberBob
10-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Prediction: Schintzius will be a bust.

spurschick
10-15-2006, 09:23 AM
There are new, smaller digital boards that appear to be immediately below the Super Boxes on the west end of the building (nearer the visitors' tunnel), and another immediately below the Baseline Bums' sections on the east end of the building (nearer the Spurs tunnel) -- there may be others elsewhere too. But it was obvious that for tonight at least, those boards were simply there to run additional advertising.

They are going to show other scores on these. At least that's what I've been told.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-15-2006, 10:12 AM
You think they will put Elson on the IR? He looks like he never gonna fit in. Oberto's the starter and Jackie Butler's catching up to him.

FromWayDowntown
10-15-2006, 10:59 AM
I have thought the same thing at times, but I don't get frustrated because I get stat sheets throughout the game. What kind of specifics are you looking for? (I'm just curious)

I have to say that I was amazed at the information that the Mavericks make available during games. They have large boards on either end of the building that roll through all of the team numbers on a 10-15 second delay. If you wait a minute, you'll basically get the team boxscore.

I'm specifically interested in things like the numbers behind FG% (attempts and 3 pointers made/attempted), the facts about free throws (not because I want to bitch about a differential, but because sometimes that helps explain why a score is what it is). I'd also like to know, in the moment, things like points-in-the-paint, fast-break points, points off turnovers, 2nd chance points, and things like that.

Staples Center breaks all of those numbers down by quarter, which I think is even more helpful.

In a perfect world, I'd love occasional updates on a player-by-player basis as well. I'd settle for the team numbers.

The other information that I've wished was available was out-of-town scores -- that's been the main point of my bitch for each of the last 2 seasons, but it sounds as if that's been cured:

They are going to show other scores on these. At least that's what I've been told.

I'm glad to hear that! :elephant

samikeyp
10-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Prediction: Schintzius will be a bust.

:lol

Good to see Cyber Bob in the house! :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Did Eric Williams play?

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-15-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm also calling it : Beno and Elson will be on the IR at season opener.

Bruno
10-15-2006, 11:10 AM
You think they will put Elson on the IR? He looks like he never gonna fit in. Oberto's the starter and Jackie Butler's catching up to him.

The preseason is still long. Spurs won't decide who will start on who will be the backup by looking only at this game.

If the first game of the season was tomorrow, I think that Oberto will the starter and Elson the backup.

Kori Ellis
10-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Did Eric Williams play?

He was in street clothes. Achilles problem.

KEDA
10-15-2006, 11:27 AM
as bad as the AT&T center might be about stats and giving different information about the game, NOTHING competes with the Toyota Center. It was so bad, I wasnt sure they even had a game clock on.

Kori Ellis
10-15-2006, 11:37 AM

I don't think there's a chance Elson would be on IR. I think they are going to give him a go at it.

I think their plan is to bring Butler along slowly. The guy pretty much went from high school to the Knicks. He probably has a lot of basketball basics to learn.

td4mvp21
10-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I like Oberto starting, from what I've seen he's improved. Even if he doesn't score a lot, tip-ins, tip-outs, and rebounds will be appreciated.

GrandeDavid
10-15-2006, 03:26 PM
It should be an interesting season, especially the start. On the one hand the core three are healthy and energized, a rarity. On the other, with the questions down low, its kind of a scary situation. I'm still having a hard time imagining Fabricio Oberto being an effective starting center, but we'll just see how all this plays out. Hopefully Butler has a tremendous work ethic and absorbs knowledge like a sponge and by mid season he'll be a quality contributer.

Obstructed_View
10-15-2006, 06:54 PM
I like Oberto starting, from what I've seen he's improved. Even if he doesn't score a lot, tip-ins, tip-outs, and rebounds will be appreciated.
He's the perfect role player for a starting five that has three legit scorers and a shutdown defender.

E20
10-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Bonner - I wasn't sure about Bonner when the Spurs traded for him, but I'm starting to like him. He had four turnovers but they weren't turnovers from just being lazy -- so that's good. I'm sure he's going to hit some key 3's for the Spurs this season and become a fan favorite with his hustle.
How does that make one like him? TO is a TO.

Obstructed_View
10-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Since when is that the case in Spurs land?

E20
10-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Since when is that the case in Spurs land?
That is true. People love Manu and TP and they make TO's, but they've also done big things, I'm just gonna have to wait until I see more of Boner.

Obstructed_View
10-15-2006, 07:36 PM
That is true. People love Manu and TP and they make TO's, but they've also done big things, I'm just gonna have to wait until I see more of Boner.
Of course, you actually have to be allowed in the game in order to be in a position to do big things.

FromWayDowntown
10-15-2006, 07:49 PM

I'll always take a guy who commits turnovers by being aggressive and trying to make plays over a guy who commits turnovers by making lazy passes or failing to do some little thing. I think what Kori is saying is that Bonner plays hard and aggressively (at least he did last night) but in so doing, he turned the ball over a few times. That he plays aggressively and confidently is a good thing over the long haul -- the 4 turnovers happen sometimes when you do that, particularly in a pre-season game.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-15-2006, 10:57 PM
timvp, you may well be correct about Elson, but let's give him more than one game to prove himself.

If he's still sucking it up by Jan 1, time to make a move. However, it is unfair to judge him at this stage, especially given the trouble new players generally have in adjusting to our system.

However, no boards in 18mins is a bit of a worry... :bang

FromWayDowntown
10-15-2006, 11:00 PM
I think the thing about Elson's line that's most troublesome to me is that it's the line he put up against a team with an athletic front line. Howard and Milicic are long, athletic guys who can score the ball, rebound well, and defend the hoop. Elson is here to afford the Spurs more athleticism against guys like that, but last night at least, he showed no meaningful athleticism at all. If he's going to struggle against athletic front lines, this experiment is going to be an abject failure very quickly. It would be nice to see some growth and improvement through the remainder of the pre-season, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2006, 03:22 AM
It's one game from a guy who's getting paid like a third string center..

I'll be concerned later.

(But anyway, go Jackie!)

whottt
10-16-2006, 04:49 AM
Coyote looks like he's in good shape. (That's for Whottt).

Good job Reggie.

whottt
10-16-2006, 04:52 AM
Barry - If they are going to use him as the backup point, he is going to have some adjusting to do. He said that he needs to get his legs. Did a nice active job on the glass.

The way I see it, I don't care if Barry has his worst year ever...it's still going to be hard for him to be any worse than Beno and NVE(my bad) were last year.

Barry will be more comfortable doing this...that's for sure. His passing(still the best passer on the team) is going to make up for any defensive liabilities he has...plus he knows how to use his size on offense against smaller guards. Barry's best seasons IMO, came as a guy playing a lot of PG.

whottt
10-16-2006, 04:57 AM
Although I'm glad that it's looking like at least Oberto will be the starter. I can live with that.

Me too...if only Pop had listened to me last year. I am still wondering why he never got any more PT against the Mavs after that game he was fairly effective against Dirk.

Pitiful.

Let's see how much court time he gets against the Mavs before passing judgement...he'll be hard pressed to do worse than Rasho and Nazr.

Honestly...at the minimum, the offseason C pickups are both superior to Rasho and Nazr in one major area...they both play like they give a shit.

Butler was the key pick up for this offseason, and that move alone makes the offseason a winner.

I can see Elson being used against some of the upper tier running teams(like the Suns).

bdictjames
10-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Against the Mavs? Probably Butler. We need offense