PDA

View Full Version : Allan Houston Thinking of a Comeback

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Allan may take another shot

One year later, mulling return

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Even on the other side of the world, they know all about Allan Houston and the shot that made him famous.
"Amazing," Houston says after returning from a trip to Hong Kong 10 days ago to promote junior NBA programs. "I had more people stop me in China to ask me about the Knicks than I do in New York. They ask me about the shot against Miami."

Somehow, it has already been 71/2 years since Houston's leaner in the final seconds of a first-round playoff series propelled the Knicks to a postseason run that culminated with a trip to the NBA Finals. It remains one of the most memorable baskets in franchise history.

Not all fans overseas are aware that Houston no longer is with the Knicks. At times, Houston still struggles with the thought that chronic knee pain forced him into an early retirement a year ago. He still is not ruling out a comeback, though he will have to wait until after this season, when his contract expires. Houston says that his knees are feeling stronger ("I feel 100% better," he claims) but admitted that a pain-free play date with his children is a long way from running, jumping and cutting in an NBA game.

"I don't know if I'll ever say it's over for good," Houston says during a recent telephone interview. "Right now, I'm still not saying I'm coming back. I think about playing again but that doesn't mean it's necessarily going to happen. I know one day I'll be able to be healthy and play in pickup games. But to play in an NBA game, I can't say if I can do it or not."

If Houston, now 35, ever decided to make a comeback it wouldn't be for the money. He is entering the final season of a franchise-record six-year, $100 million contract the Knicks gave him before the 2001-02 season.

Instead, Houston wonders what it would be like to go out on his terms while taking one last shot at an NBA championship. He knew the Knicks wouldn't get there with him healthy last season, but Houston believes that his presence on the floor and in the locker room would have been invaluable to young players such as Jamal Crawford, Eddy Curry, Nate Robinson, David Lee and Channing Frye. Last year, Larry Brown often bemoaned the lack of a veteran leader on the team.

"I think it means something to young players to have a veteran with them who has been through tough situations before," Houston says. "I got that from Joe Dumars and Isiah Thomas when I played in Detroit. When I came to the Knicks I had John Starks, Patrick (Ewing) and Larry (Johnson) show me the way.

"I don't know if it would have meant more wins or if it would have helped Coach Brown, but for me personally it was disappointing that I couldn't be out there."

Houston appeared in just 70 games over his final two seasons with the Knicks. He averaged 17.3 points for his 12-year career and shot 86% from the foul line. He also was a key contributor on Knicks teams that won 57 games in 1997, reached the Finals in '99 and made the conference finals the following season.

But in the span of five years, a declining Ewing was traded in the final season of his contract, Johnson was forced to retire due to injury and Houston's career ended prematurely due to knee problems. The Knicks were slowly losing their soul and stopped being a contender. The fans, however, took out their frustrations on Houston because of his bloated contract and the Knicks' poor record. During a practice open to the public two years ago at the Garden, Houston was the only player to be booed.

"I've had people come up to apologize for giving me a hard time," he says. "But I understand. A lot of times people look at the price tag more than the person and what I tried to do every day. But that's the nature of pro sports and especially in New York."

Houston was loosely associated with the Knicks last season as he occasionally served as an analyst for MSG Network. In a few days, he is expected to finalize a deal with ESPN that will prohibit him from working Knicks broadcasts. Ultimately, Houston would like to work in an NBA front office, and considering his relationship with Garden chairman James Dolan and MSG president Steve Mills, Houston could end up back in New York.

He declined to discuss job opportunities with the Knicks, and people close to Houston claim that out of respect for Dolan, Houston does not want to seem as if he is campaigning for a job. But it is clear in his voice that Houston still bleeds orange and blue.

"I would love to see this organization do well," Houston says. "You go all over the world and people talk about the Knicks. It's a big deal."

KNICKS' NICKS: Jared Jeffries missed last night's 102-100 preseason win over the Sixers in Philly - Jamal Crawford's 21-foot jumper with 1.3 seconds left won it - with a sore left wrist; he will be reevaluated today in New York. It's unclear how long he'll be out. Crawford scored 21 points, including 18 in the second half, while Eddy Curry had 25 points and 10 rebounds. Steve Francis (right knee) did not play and is day-to-day.

Dirk41MVP
10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
So when do the threads start about you guys signing him ?.. just curious :lol

boutons_
10-15-2006, 04:24 PM
He's 35, and he knees are better? able to stand up to NBA abuse?

Zunni
10-15-2006, 05:59 PM
No. Bone on bone knees NEVER get better. This is a crack induced dream egged on by a billion Chinese, 5 of whom recognized him.

ponky
10-15-2006, 06:01 PM
jesus, just stay down already