PDA

View Full Version : #5 Texas at #16 Nebraska

SrA Husker
10-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Venue: Memorial Stadium, Lincoln - NCAA Record 280th Consecutive Sellout
Time: 11:00am CST, ABC National Coverage (except West Coast)
Line: TX - 4.5

Thoughts:
This is the premier game of the Big XII this week, for sure. Both teams lead their respective division with a perfect 3-0 conference, 6-1 overall record and Nebraska knows that a win here at home can and should propel them into the Top 10 and the National Respect it deserves. ESPN Gameday should be making the trip to Lincoln, where there will be many Fowler Sucks! and ESPN Sucks! signs demonstrating the Big Red discontent at being unranked in many of their AP votes...

Prediction:
Nebraska 28, Texas 25

GO BIG RED!

johngateswhiteley
10-15-2006, 03:28 PM
yeah, this should be a great game. t.u. really feeds well off turnovers...so if Nebraska can protect the ball, this will be a VERY close game.

any t.u. fan that thinks they are going into lincoln and kicking the huskers ass...is sadly mistaken.

t.u. 28
NU 27

gtownspur
10-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Texas 45

Cornsuckers 12!!!!!!

Eat shit CornFuskers!

LaMarcus Bryant
10-15-2006, 06:25 PM
t-sips 49 husskers 24

SrA Husker
10-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Early lines show a 4.5 point Texas favorite....
With 3 points usually being home-field advantage, this is basically a pick-em. Huskers getting respect from Vegas!!!

Hehehe GTownSpur.

Congratulations on Finally winning a damn game!!! Might be your only win all season...

Meanwhile, we are BOWL ELIGIBLE and first in the north. Boo-yah.

Mr Dio
10-15-2006, 09:26 PM
UT in a (minimum) double digit win....Most likely the mid to high teens.
Many "I'm Jealous of UT" haters still hoping for UT to lose after ou. :lol

samikeyp
10-16-2006, 01:35 AM
21-17 UT

johngateswhiteley
10-16-2006, 01:41 AM
21-17 UT

...ahh, a t.u. fan with a solid take. thats a good prediction, though i think it will be a little higher scoring...though very close.

Mr Dio
10-16-2006, 09:28 AM
t-sips 49 husskers 24

It's finally good to see common sense in this thread!

Ballcox
10-16-2006, 01:04 PM
I really think this will be our toughest game of the year to this point, mainly because this will be the first away game in a very hostile environment, so Colt will need to be ready to go. I know he experienced the UT/ou weekend, but that's a neutral site game, not the same as playing at Nebraska. Also have to keep in mind that Nebraska is probably really tired of us winning in their stadium, we've won 3 in a row there, so I have no doubt those guys and their fans will be fired up big time come Saturday morning.

That being said, I still don't see this Nebraska team as comparable to the Osbourne coached teams from the recent past. They're good and they'll be VERY tough to beat at home, but in the end I think we have too much depth and talent for them to beat us.

Texas 31
Nebraska 23

samikeyp
10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
...ahh, a t.u. fan with a solid take. thats a good prediction, though i think it will be a little higher scoring...though very close.

Thanks...I also still think the Huskers can pull this off even though I picked UT.

mookie2001
10-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Texas 50 Neb 19

Cant_Be_Faded
10-16-2006, 08:33 PM
tex 21 neb 0

SrA Husker
10-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Coverage map released. West Coast will not recieve the game because Government-mandated Cartoons will be on.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/espntv/topics/coveragemaps/map102106_12.jpg

samikeyp
10-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Good...I will get to see it up here. :tu

NoMoneyDown
10-18-2006, 01:45 PM
This should be a very good game. Initially, I thought Texas would win by 3 TD's, but I neglected to factor in the weather. They are calling for 50% rain and a high of only 50. This definately plays into Nebraska's hands. McCoy has been doing a good job in the air, but the cold and rain could definately hamper his ability somewhat. Same can be said of Nebraska's passing game. Therefore, the focus - right now, at least - should be on the running game for both as well as the rushing defense for both. Both squads have done a good job at stopping the run with both limiting the opposition to a season average total output below 100 YPG. A big factor in the game will be TO's and who will capitalize off of them. Texas' defense has been on fire of late, scoring a TD (one, at least) in each of their last two games.

The only game to get an indication of where both teams stand is the Iowa St. games. Texas was cruising in their game against ISU until the game was delayed due to lightning. They were up 30-14 at halftime, and the game looked like it would be another 30+ pt win. Nebraska started out slower, but still managed to go up 21-7 at the half. Both teams' defensive units played great.

In the only games relative to the national spotlight, Texas lost to Ohio State and Nebraska lost to USC. Maybe not a very good guage at all, seeing that both games were very early in the season, but Nebraska's stats show they played horrid on both sides of the ball, giving up >400yds of offense while only getting 230 or so themselves. Texas' game vs. Ohio State, while almost the identical losing margin, was a bit closer stat-wise.

So, I'm thinking this game could actually be a lot better than I first thought. It'll be interesting how McCoy (and Texas as a whole) can face a perennial powerhouse like Nebraska in their own stadium and do it in such nasty weather conditions.

I think Texas is more than capable of beating NU by 3 TD's, especially if the weather cooperates, but I'll go the conservative route and change my prediction to:

Texas 28
Nebraska 17

If it turns out the weather cooperates (i.e., no rain and no wind), I think Texas will score 1-2 more TD's:

Texas 42
Nebraska 17

tlongII
10-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Nebraska 24
Texas 10

BUMP
10-18-2006, 05:13 PM
i call an upset that will stretch from a close Nebraska lead to a 12-14 pt game. texas will fall behind early and keep coming up short, get frustrated and turn it over a few times as well leading to a nebraska score late. kinda like the Ok State game last year

28-16 huskers

johngateswhiteley
10-18-2006, 07:13 PM
i call an upset that will stretch from a close Nebraska lead to a 12-14 pt game. texas will fall behind early and keep coming up short, get frustrated and turn it over a few times as well leading to a nebraska score late. kinda like the Ok State game last year

28-16 huskers

its not a bad prediction b/c t.u. has not had to deal with any adversity ecept for the Ohio State game. if NU can force turnovers and not turn it over themselves, they will win, but thats a big if.

samikeyp
10-18-2006, 07:44 PM
if NU can force turnovers and not turn it over themselves, they will win, but thats a big if.

agreed. Nebraska is still a tough place to play.

Brutalis
10-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Ye bof skools hav rikc trediecion in edocatchion and aletetics. Sould be uh gewd won.

johngateswhiteley
10-18-2006, 09:17 PM
agreed. Nebraska is still a tough place to play.

...i am getting a good laugh at some of these predictions, though. 50-19, 21-0, 42-17...wtf? Nebraska will get theirs and t.u. will get theirs. per usual, in a game with two good teams...the team who makes the least mistakes will win.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-18-2006, 09:49 PM
its not a bad prediction b/c t.u. has not had to deal with any adversity ecept for the Ohio State game.

A&M deals with adversity like no other with all those games at Kyle Field, huh?

johngateswhiteley
10-18-2006, 10:04 PM
A&M deals with adversity like no other with all those games at Kyle Field, huh?

...i fail to see what A&M has to do with t.u. vs. nebraska...in a t.u. vs. nebraska thread, no less.

but what am i saying, lol, this is par for the course.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-18-2006, 10:08 PM
What I am saying is that we also played OU in a half hostile crowd, and at Rice, meanwhile A&M's only adversity has been K fucking U, in which they struggled against the dominance of Toomer Benvendisti's coaching....Yet you maintain the aggies have a chance against OSU and that nebrasxka will probably beat UT based on UT not having any test on the road?

Hmm.

SrA Husker
10-18-2006, 10:17 PM
OU - Half Hostile. Key words there. Plus, it was in comfy Dallas in nice weather.

Rice - You have the nerve to call that a road game!?!?!?!?!? LMAO! Of the fans in half-empty reliant, 3/4 were Horn fans!

There is no place like Cold, Windy, nasty Nebraska, with 86,000 fans wearing Red screaming their head off at your freshman quarterback who's never played in weather below 80 and in an environment without ATLEAST 35,000 Texas fans.

johngateswhiteley
10-18-2006, 10:20 PM
What I am saying is that we also played OU in a half hostile crowd, and at Rice, meanwhile A&M's only adversity has been K fucking U, in which they struggled against the dominance of Toomer Benvendisti's coaching....Yet you maintain the aggies have a chance against OSU and that nebrasxka will probably beat UT based on UT not having any test on the road?

Hmm.

actually thats not what you said, its what you say now.

but, whatever...t.u. has not played against a GOOD team @ their place, period. rice sucks ass.

again, we are not talking about A&M, this is a t.u. game thread...what don't you get about that? go to the other thread if you want to discuss the Aggs.

what also, is par for the course, is you not reading my posts...or only reading what you want to read. Lord knows...you struggle, i am not sure why. but, let me help you out...i predicted t.u. to win in a very close game, did you not see that? and as for adversity...besides playing easy teams on the road t.u. has gotten all the breaks in big games, thats fact. 5 turnovers from OU and 5 from Baylor. did you help make those breaks...sure. but that does not mean its going to happen every game whether the t.u. defense wants it to or not. bottomline is, the offense only turns it over when they are not properly protecting the ball or when they make mistakes. some defenses are better at taking advantage of the situation than others...and t.u. is. but if NU does not turn it over and t.u. does they will win, i just don't see NU playing well enough to do that. so i predicted 28-27 t.u.. its simple.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-18-2006, 10:22 PM
My only point to JGW was that if he's saying UT is untested on the road, at least admit A&M is too--his bias goes beyond bias.

There will be plenty of texas fans there at Neb though. You haven't heard me once say this WONT be a test for Colt. Naturally it will be. But I think he'll respond well. If not? At least we still got Brantley and Chiles coming next year. If Colt continues to dominate its looking more and more likely we will lose some of our amazing 2007 recruits....Which really fucking blows.

I'd rather colt have a horrible game and us squeak away with the win.

johngateswhiteley
10-18-2006, 10:25 PM
My only point to JGW was that if he's saying UT is untested on the road, at least admit A&M is too--his bias goes beyond bias.

There will be plenty of texas fans there at Neb though. You haven't heard me once say this WONT be a test for Colt. Naturally it will be. But I think he'll respond well. If not? At least we still got Brantley and Chiles coming next year. If Colt continues to dominate its looking more and more likely we will lose some of our amazing 2007 recruits....

read post #27. and why do i have to admit A&M is untested on the road in a t.u. game thread? i am pretty sure A&M has nothing to do with how t.u. plays this weekend...or maybe you know something i don't...LOL.

if you bothered to ask me questions, instead of assume...i think you'd be surprised in some of my answers...ones that you assumed you knew. does your ignorance know no bounds?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-18-2006, 10:28 PM
It will be very weird if Colt comes out of Nebraska with a good performance, and more than 1 touchdown.

If you look at his stats, and compare his to Inexplicable Heisman Candidate Troy Smith, they are actually quite close. Yet Troy is getting his balls sucked by every analyst in the nation. Hmm..
Again, I'd rather him have a horrible game and us squeak by with our running and defense. I have a strong feeling UT is going to lose either Chiles or Brantley or both if Colt continues to succeed.

mookie2001
10-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Nebraskas only chance was to practice at a train station...too late now

Cant_Be_Faded
10-18-2006, 10:51 PM
You do realize Jarvorski Lane was born and raised at a train station right?

He's going to LenDale us come thanksgiving.

mookie2001
10-18-2006, 10:54 PM
There is no place like Cold, Windy, nasty Nebraska, with 86,000 fans wearing Red screaming their head off at your freshman quarterback who's never played in weather below 80 and in an environment without ATLEAST 35,000 Texas fans.40 degrees is cold, but not game changing cold, I bet colts really scared too

Cant_Be_Faded
10-18-2006, 10:55 PM
The only way Neb beats us is if our Secondary continues to blow major asshole dingleberries

If we have our Okam? That cancels a shitty secondary. Brown and Griffin are going to be chode bloaded if they don't show up for the Neb game.

samikeyp
10-18-2006, 10:57 PM
He's going to LenDale us come thanksgiving.

Get stopped on 4th and 1 to lose the game? :)

Cant_Be_Faded
10-18-2006, 11:02 PM
................................................ex actly :)

samikeyp
10-18-2006, 11:07 PM
works for me!

although he is a big boy and will probably do some damage.....reminds me of Toombs.

Horry For 3!
10-19-2006, 12:58 AM
I won't be able to watch the game because I have to work 11 to 8 :pctoss

ATX Spur
10-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Texas 27, Neb 17 book it!

NoMoneyDown
10-19-2006, 07:32 AM
There is no place like Cold, Windy, nasty Nebraska, with 86,000 fans wearing Red screaming their head off at your freshman quarterback who's never played in weather below 80 and in an environment without ATLEAST 35,000 Texas fans.

I think after the national hype of both the Ohio State and Oklahoma games, the perceived pressure on Texas' freshman QB is a non sequitur. I do believe the cold, rain, and possible wind could be a factor, though, but I don't think the weather will only factor one team and not the other.

BTW, it's not like McCoy has never played in a football game in temperatures <80. The tail end of the PO's in Texas high school FB sees some pretty nasty weather at times, too.

mookie2001
10-21-2006, 11:25 AM
they have this thing... Called Tim Crowder, and he sacks people

leemajors
10-21-2006, 11:30 AM
greg davis in full effect!

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 11:37 AM
No shit but Huskers are playing well also.

leemajors
10-21-2006, 12:25 PM
nice throw by colt - right in stride, he got hit right after the throw.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Greg Johnson sucks....put Hunter Lawrence in.

Spurminator
10-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know if Colt McCoy has ever played a game outside of Texas? I think this information would be worth noting, possibly even repeating ad nauseum.

gtownspur
10-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Go texas!!!

I want a Husker L, and nagging injuries on both sides!!

leemajors
10-21-2006, 02:00 PM
is greg davis ever going to realize that wr screen doesn't work if you use it ALL THE TIME?

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:22 PM
If Texas blows this....that kicker needs to walk home.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Studdard just saved the game.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:27 PM
bad play call throwing into double coverage.

angel_luv
10-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Go Texas! :)

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:33 PM
whew!

New kicker different result.

22-20 Texas with 23 seconds to go....still not over yet.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:33 PM
regardless what happens..two things I know:

Nebraska is WAYYYY better than a #17 ranking

Colt McCoy just grew up.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Hook and ladder....5 seconds to go.

Bob Lanier
10-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Hahahahahaha.

samikeyp
Roughing the passer on Texas! One more play.

98 for UT is a fucking idiot.

sa_butta
Excellent job by Colt to hold up well under pressure, and get it done. A win is a win but much props to the Cornhuskers for the scare.

angel_luv
uh oh?

angel_luv
Too close for my taste.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:38 PM
finally!

Texas escapes.

Hell of a game by both teams. Props to you Husker nation, you have a hell of a team.

j-6
10-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Texas didn't win this game, Nebraska lost it.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Texas didn't win this game, Nebraska lost it.

since a game has a winner and a loser...isn't it the same thing?

LB7
10-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Considering UT left 7 points on the field, I don't think I would say that. Texas should have had it won without all the drama.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:47 PM
I get what you are saying J-6, I just have never been a fan of that statement or the ever famous "(insert losing teams' name here) deserved to win"

You win a football game one way. You score more points than the other team period. There is no other way to claim victory. Texas kicking game was horrid but the Huskers gave the ball away three times. IMO, by saying one of those above statements, you take credit away from the players on the field and the effort they gave. I give major props to Nebraska. They played well enough to win this gameas did the Longhorns.

j-6
10-21-2006, 02:56 PM
since a game has a winner and a loser...isn't it the same thing?

Nebraska threw the ball on 3rd down with UT out of TO's, in their own territory, with less than 2:30 left, with the Horns having to drive into the wind and ice / snow. If the back on a handoff up the gut doesn't get three yards for the first, the Huskers run the clock down to under 2:00 and punt from their 35 with the wind at their backs.

Let the freshman drive 60+ yards, with no TO's, into field goal range with the way UT had kicked so far. Into all that nasty shit blowing around.

Then Callahan wasted a TO trying to freeze the kicker out of a 22 yarder. With all the kicking problems UT had today, why give them time to set up? The clock wasn't running because of McCoy's incompletion the play before.

I don't know. I'm glad the Horns won, of course, but I'd be sick if I was a Husker fan.

samikeyp
10-21-2006, 02:58 PM
I agree with you....Callahan showed dubious coaching but they still could have won this game with even one less turnover. I credit the Horns D for stepping up.

leemajors
10-21-2006, 03:06 PM
all in all, incredible game to watch! our break room was crowded and people filing out when someone yelled there was a flag on the last play - everyone squeezed right back in.

2centsworth
10-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Texas is pretty good with 4 minutes left in the game.

j-6
10-21-2006, 03:39 PM
If Callahan doesn't burn that last time out on the freeze / challenge, Taylor could have been throwing to get into FG range rather than for the end zone.

SPURS vs NBA media
10-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Roughing the passer on Texas! One more play.

98 for UT is a fucking idiot.

will you tell him that in person

leemajors
10-21-2006, 03:55 PM
will you tell him that in person

maybe if he can teleport in from michigan. :rolleyes

Horry For 3!
10-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Texas, whaaaaaaaa

I only got to watch half of the 3rd because I had to work today :pctoss

Brutalis
10-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Texas = Lucky.

They did what they had to do though.

Arkansas had nothing but pure luck beating Bama cause of their sucky ass kicker.

johngateswhiteley
10-22-2006, 08:30 PM
...well, it pretty much played out like i thought it would. close game down to the end. i was hoping nebraska's 3 turnovers would not catch up to them....but they did and the last one was most costly. i suppose i would say t.u. is a better football team cause this one was in lincoln, but the game was sooo close and in pretty much every aspect. t.u. had some missed field goals and nebraska turnovers. all in all, a great game and a battle of two good teams.

...only gotta say, how's that 50-19 and other ridiculous predictions working out, lol. good game, though.

*(spent the weekend @ Big Bend, so i only heard it on radio...sounds like it would have been a great one to watch)

Holmes_Fans
10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Texas could of easily won this one by 2 td's. Twice I remember they were inside the nebraska 5, and came away with 3 points total.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-22-2006, 10:25 PM
they have this thing called field goals, and when you miss two of them its equal to a touchdown.

Horrible Red Zone execution boy the horns, and the horns secondary is so laughable, I actually would hate to see ND in a bowl game, cuz they'd own US 59 to 17. A W is a W, but Texas blooowwws in that secondary. Also, props to greg davis for calling the screen pass 8 times. Hey, if it gets you 7 yards 1 out of 8 tries, its still worth calling, right?

NoMoneyDown
10-23-2006, 07:55 AM
I thought Texas would at least cover this ballgame, but it looks like the target on UT's back is bigger than I expected. Good job to the cornhuskers for the near upset and to those that took NU and the points. At least I won some vBookie dough on the Michigan/Iowa game. :)

johngateswhiteley
10-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Texas could of easily won this one by 2 td's. Twice I remember they were inside the nebraska 5, and came away with 3 points total.

your nuts, Nebraska could have easily won the game. the three turnovers are more costly than the missed field goals. quit being a sore winner...Nebraska is a solid team and they could/should have beat you guys....but they didn't.

this is what happens when you only look at things from your teams perspective.

samikeyp
10-23-2006, 10:03 AM
actually I think you are both right....if Texas had punched it into the end zone instead of kicking FG's it could have been a bigger win, on the other hand if the Huskers take careof the ball better it could have definetly been their game. Great defense was played by both teams as well.

Ballcox
10-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Well, missed opportunities and we definitely put too many damn balls on the ground, can't believe we actually recovered three of our own fumbles. Also, Mack please remove G. Johnson from field goal duties, let the big time recruit-H. Lawerence take over duties there. A very close game like I thought it would be, but if we could have just converted some TD's instead of kicking field goals (and then also missing field goals) would have won this one with some breathing room. I'm happy as hell for Colt and the rest of the team, this is the type of game you learn alot from, I expect us to apply these lessons next week in Lubbock. Hook'em.

JoeChalupa
10-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Nebraska had this game and blew it.

johngateswhiteley
10-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, missed opportunities and we definitely put too many damn balls on the ground, can't believe we actually recovered three of our own fumbles. Also, Mack please remove G. Johnson from field goal duties, let the big time recruit-H. Lawerence take over duties there. A very close game like I thought it would be, but if we could have just converted some TD's instead of kicking field goals (and then also missing field goals) would have won this one with some breathing room. I'm happy as hell for Colt and the rest of the team, this is the type of game you learn alot from, I expect us to apply these lessons next week in Lubbock. Hook'em.

whatever, if Nebraska does not turn it over 3 times they win it with some breathing room...bottomline is both teams made mistakes and t.u. was good enough to win by 2. get over it....

samikeyp
10-23-2006, 10:47 AM
actually, JGW, I think Ballcox is saying the same thing you are. Despite the crappy play, they were still able to win.

johngateswhiteley
10-23-2006, 11:04 AM
actually, JGW, I think Ballcox is saying the same thing you are. Despite the crappy play, they were still able to win.

i am not so sure.

...if you cannot read between the lines, then let me say this. many t.u. fans thought they would walk all over nebraska, thats bogus. for three reasons, nebraska is much better than people think, t.u. is overrated, and the game was in lincoln.

bottomline: t.u. is slightly better than nebraska, both teams made mistakes...and t.u. won barely. thats it.

samikeyp
10-23-2006, 11:20 AM
overrated in your opinion...but that does not make it gospel. I was one that did not think it would be a blow out and even posted because it was in Lincoln it was a potential trap. My point is this, you interpreted Ballcox post one way, I interpreted it another. We could be both wrong or one of us could be right. Just because you or I say a team is overrated or underrated doesn't mean its the truth. You presented two facts and one opinion but you presented them as three facts. You chide UT fans for expressing their opinions as fact (rightfully so) but it works both ways. I could come here and say the Aggies are underachievers despite being 7-1 and could manipulate stats to back that up....still doesn't make it the actual truth (for the record, I don't think that...IMO a win is a win) My original point still stands. Texas is a good team, so is Nebraska.(something you pointed out as well) Two outstanding defenses played a hell of a game.

HuskerinSA
10-23-2006, 11:35 AM
bottom line, texas won because they have better athletes. I've never been impressed with Mack Brown as a coach. He pretty much gets his pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting, and that's what carries his coaching record. Despite all the success they've had in recruiting the last 5+ years, it took nothing more than the pure athletic ability, not coaching, of Vince Young to win them the NC.

The talent level of Nebraska has improved since the arrival of Callahan, but is still nowhere near texas. Nebraska was never out of that game, thanks to a perfect gameplan, and got almost every break we needed to seal the deal. We all know Nebraska could have been on the winning side of that game just as easily. Colt McCoy has done a fine job all year, but he has all-americans blocking for him, and catching his passes. That sure makes things a lot easier for a freshman. Him starting this year will actually hurt their QB recruiting for the next few years. Don't count on Brantley just yet, and don't think that Snead won't be looking at other schools also.

Of course, I'm biased, but I think this Nebraska team has finally turned the corner in Callahan's 3rd year. We will continue to get better recruits to fit the system. I can see Nebraska and texas playing for many big12 championship games in the future, as I believe oklahoma is about to spin out of control and take a few years off from the BCS picture.

I'm already looking forward to a rematch this year in KC.

johngateswhiteley
10-23-2006, 11:41 AM
overrated in your opinion...but that does not make it gospel. I was one that did not think it would be a blow out and even posted because it was in Lincoln it was a potential trap. My point is this, you interpreted Ballcox post one way, I interpreted it another. We could be both wrong or one of us could be right. Just because you or I say a team is overrated or underrated doesn't mean its the truth. You presented two facts and one opinion but you presented them as three facts. You chide UT fans for expressing their opinions as fact (rightfully so) but it works both ways. I could come here and say the Aggies are underachievers despite being 7-1 and could manipulate stats to back that up....still doesn't make it the actual truth (for the record, I don't think that...IMO a win is a win) My original point still stands. Texas is a good team, so is Nebraska.(something you pointed out as well) Two outstanding defenses played a hell of a game.

1. of course my word is not gospel
2. you did not know my opinion was fact? silly rabbit
3. my only opinion that is not fact is that i said t.u. was overrated and nebraska underrated
4. what i'll never understand is why people will post that i present my opinions like fact or that my opinions are not fact...umm, yeah, no kidding. the fact that i am saying them make them my opinion and that trumps all. there is no reason to present my opinions as opinions...they, by definition, are opinions

samikeyp
10-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Despite all the success they've had in recruiting the last 5+ years, it took nothing more than the pure athletic ability, not coaching, of Vince Young to win them the NC.

I could agree with that....although not just VY...other athletes as well. It was amazing how they went from losing one or two a year to running the table with the same coaching staff. :)

I think Mack Brown is a good coach, my issue has always been with Greg Davis. I think that guy does not have the stones to be agressive when its needed in play calling. Also Texas defense has been outstanding and that has helped. Gregg Robinson then Gene Chizik there. A lot of your big time college coaches are more of a "CEO" type role where they have a whole staff doing a lot instead of the HC doing it all. I would like to see a young offensive minded coach come in and run the offense. With the athletes Texas brings in, that could really bode well. I agree with you about McCoy and the weapons he has...although the WR's are not all-americans, neither is his RB but the OL has been (although they lost a few to injury and the NFL). I also agree with you about Nebraska. I thought it was a mistake to get rid of Solich but Callahan has done a nice job this season. They are poised to rule the North again which IMO is good for the Big 12. When your big name programs do well, it makes the whole league better.

samikeyp
10-23-2006, 11:43 AM
2. you did not know my opinion was fact? silly rabbit

dammit, my bad....I forgot that memo! :)

Its all good bro. :tu

NoMoneyDown
10-23-2006, 11:54 AM
HuskerSA -

Very good post, and I agree 99.99%. I think there are a good many Div 1-A (andposibly 1-AA, II, and III) coaches that could lead this team to the same outcome (or better) as Mack has done. Now that Vince is gone, Davis is getting exposed again for running the offense haphazardly. They run out of only 2-3 sets, so defenses are able to limit their play calling. If it weren't for the skilled athletes Texas has Davis would be on some other team AND probably with a losing record.

As far as the game is concerned, I thought Texas did a good job in the 1H, but started to get sloppy in the 2H. Thankfully, Nebraska had a couple of TO's to put the Longhorns in a position to win the game. Not sure if cold was a factor, but it seemed to me that it didn't start snowing until the 2H. Still, I thought Texas had the personnel to overcome the point spread, but I was wrong. I predicted a 28-17 Texas victory under inclimate conditions, but Texas didn't quite put up the added TD to make it close.

BTW, I truly believe if this game were played in Austin on Saturday, Texas would have more than prevailed. It will be interesting to see how the rematch will pan out.

samikeyp
10-23-2006, 11:58 AM
well put, I agree totally. I had it 21-17 UT. With the weather combined with being in Lincoln and, oh yeah, Nebraska was pretty good. Good point about Davis. I would like to see him get sent packing and have them bring in Major Applewhite.

johngateswhiteley
10-23-2006, 12:03 PM
well put, I agree totally. I had it 21-17 UT. With the weather combined with being in Lincoln and, oh yeah, Nebraska was pretty good. Good point about Davis. I would like to see him get sent packing and have them bring in Major Applewhite.

nebraska is a good passing team, and i imagine a game played in better weather would have only helped them burn the t.u. corners even more.

samikeyp
10-23-2006, 12:06 PM
It was good football weather though. Too bad it was on turf....grass would have made it perfect.

Jimcs50
10-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Scoreboard is all that matters...this argument is moot.

Horry For 3!
10-23-2006, 04:58 PM
All this talk about who barely won, who should of won. THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS..... TEXAS WON.

They are now 7-1 and still undefeated in Big 12 play.

End of discussion.

samikeyp
10-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Scoreboard is all that matters...this argument is moot.

Jim is, as always, wise.

How is life been treating you, Dr. Jimbo?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-23-2006, 05:42 PM
your nuts, Nebraska could have easily won the game. the three turnovers are more costly than the missed field goals. quit being a sore winner...Nebraska is a solid team and they could/should have beat you guys....but they didn't.

this is what happens when you only look at things from your teams perspective.

And your team is Nebraska? Look dumbass, Texas had three opportunities to score a touchdown adn came away with one field goal and two missed field goals. That is huge, i dont care who the fuck you are.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-23-2006, 05:45 PM
3. my only opinion that is not fact is that i said t.u. was overrated and nebraska underrated
You are so fucking stupid it blows my mind. Its very easy to state one of the two things you stated, and defend it, but to say both are true and try to defend it shows everyone on this entire board what a dip shit you are man.

How can you seperate under/over ratedness if the overrated team won and the underrated team lost?

If USC had blown 7 points against Nebraska due to one (1) player (a choking worthless field goal kicker) how many would they have won by AT HOME????

Fucker.

OH BUT WAIT, that hypothetical situation doesn't count because USC has sustained massive injuries on both sides of the field :ihit

johngateswhiteley
10-23-2006, 06:43 PM
All this talk about who barely won, who should of won. THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS..... TEXAS WON.

They are now 7-1 and still undefeated in Big 12 play.

End of discussion.

oh, is that right. then how come i cannot use the same argument for USC...its always, "well USC only won by this much, and USC does not look that good"...

they are undefeated...

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Can't we just say USC and UT are overrated and be done with it?

Horry For 3!
10-23-2006, 06:54 PM
oh, is that right. then how come i cannot use the same argument for USC...its always, "well USC only won by this much, and USC does not look that good"...

they are undefeated...
Yeah they are and we shall see if they stay undefeated.

BeerIsGood!
10-23-2006, 07:18 PM
HuskerSA -

Very good post, and I agree 99.99%. I think there are a good many Div 1-A (andposibly 1-AA, II, and III) coaches that could lead this team to the same outcome (or better) as Mack has done. Now that Vince is gone, Davis is getting exposed again for running the offense haphazardly. They run out of only 2-3 sets, so defenses are able to limit their play calling. If it weren't for the skilled athletes Texas has Davis would be on some other team AND probably with a losing record.

As far as the game is concerned, I thought Texas did a good job in the 1H, but started to get sloppy in the 2H. Thankfully, Nebraska had a couple of TO's to put the Longhorns in a position to win the game. Not sure if cold was a factor, but it seemed to me that it didn't start snowing until the 2H. Still, I thought Texas had the personnel to overcome the point spread, but I was wrong. I predicted a 28-17 Texas victory under inclimate conditions, but Texas didn't quite put up the added TD to make it close.

BTW, I truly believe if this game were played in Austin on Saturday, Texas would have more than prevailed. It will be interesting to see how the rematch will pan out.

I disagree with the bolded statement above. Mack Brown has done an excellent job, and I can't think of another coach who could have done a better job. Those other coaches don't bring in this talent - and without this talent this isn't the same team. If you want to say there are other coaches that can do better with Mack's recruiting talent - probably so. But those guys won't get that kind of talent like Mack has done. The only problem is his leaving the playcalling duties in the hands of Greg Davis. Greg Davis is an excellent coach - QB coach. The guy worked wonders with Applewhite, and VY and is working wonders with McCoy right now. He just cannot call a game for shit. He should be QB coach and co-offensive coordinator, but never calling the plays. If we could have that arrangement with a true game day playcaller things would be all beautiful in Longhorn land.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-23-2006, 07:54 PM
They should bump GD to co-coordinator and hire someone of NFL caliber to start calling the plays, if I see greg davis call a screen pass to a WR 8 times in one game, for it to only gain us 9 YARDS once i am going to shit my pants.

johngateswhiteley
10-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Mack Brown has done an excellent job, and I can't think of another coach who could have done a better job. Those other coaches don't bring in this talent - and without this talent this isn't the same team.

when you made that statement, you opened this thread up to an argument. Pete Carroll brings in better talent than t.u. every year, according to the rankings, and is a great coach.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-23-2006, 08:16 PM
I'll readily admit Pete gets the best of California, but Mack gets the best of Texas.

Holmes_Fans
10-23-2006, 09:23 PM
I'll readily admit Pete gets the best of California, but Mack gets the best of Texas.
and we all know Texas HS Talent > Cali HS Talent

Cant_Be_Faded
10-23-2006, 09:55 PM
when was the last time california talent played the entire country's talent?

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 12:29 AM

...except he also cherry picks from other states:

2006=8 out of state recruits from 26
2005=5 out of state recruits from 20
2004=5 out of state recruits from 19

i agree that Texas high school football talent is better, but when you are getting the BEST from California and cherry picking other states...your the best. in 2004, 2005, & 2006 USC was rated #1 by Rivals and in 2003, 2004, & 2006 #1 by scout. nobody is saying mack does not bring in good talent, he does, its just that Carroll brings in better and is a better coach. anybody outside of Texas will admit that.

2centsworth
10-24-2006, 12:57 AM

2006=8 out of state recruits from 26
2005=5 out of state recruits from 20
2004=5 out of state recruits from 19

i agree that Texas high school football talent is better, but when you are getting the BEST from California and cherry picking other states...your the best. in 2004, 2005, & 2006 USC was rated #1 by Rivals and in 2003, 2004, & 2006 #1 by scout. nobody is saying mack does not bring in good talent, he does, its just that Carroll brings in better and is a better coach. anybody outside of Texas will admit that.
their you go again trying to win the Rose Bowl. Mack recruits the best talent bar none. USC is a close 2nd.

NoMoneyDown
10-24-2006, 08:04 AM
If you want to say there are other coaches that can do better with Mack's recruiting talent - probably so.

Exactly my point. Mack Brown is a top-notch recruiter, but that's where his (and his staff - excluding Chizik) talent ends. That's what I meant about leading this team. There are coaches out there with less talent than Texas, but do a better job with the players they have. Look at Rodriguez at WVU, for example. WVU's recruitment wasn't even in the top-20 the last few years, but look at what he's done with the people he has.

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 08:33 AM
their you go again trying to win the Rose Bowl. Mack recruits the best talent bar none. USC is a close 2nd.

:lol i think i'll take all the recruiting rankings over your opinion.

Mr Dio
10-24-2006, 08:44 AM
I wonder what would happen if these 2 teams ever played.
I mean, 1 team supposedly gets the best recruits & has the best coach so that team would win in a head-to-head game right? :lol

Ballcox
10-24-2006, 09:04 AM
^ There goes Whitely again, thinking he's posting on a usc board and wondering why we're not all lining up in agreement with him. Are you beginning to catch a clue yet, just a little one? Didn't think so.

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 09:13 AM
^ There goes Whitely again, thinking he's posting on a usc board and wondering why we're not all lining up in agreement with him. Are you beginning to catch a clue yet, just a little one? Didn't think so.

only USC boards have logical posters? btw, you tea-sips are the only ones thinking they bring in the best recruiting every year.

Ballcox
10-24-2006, 11:11 AM
^ I haven't said a damn thing about us being the best in recruiting every year, and if you look at my posts about UT I think you'll see that I'm a fairly rational UT fan. But if you're looking for everyone on this board to line up and be completely objective about usc vs. UT, you're completely insane. Just accept the fact that you're tolerated here and everything will be fine.

...............Here comes Whiteley's sarcastic response in 3...........2.........1

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 11:18 AM
^ I haven't said a damn thing about us being the best in recruiting every year, and if you look at my posts about UT I think you'll see that I'm a fairly rational UT fan. But if you're looking for everyone on this board to line up and be completely objective about usc vs. UT, you're completely insane. Just accept the fact that you're tolerated here and everything will be fine.

...............Here comes Whiteley's sarcastic response in 3...........2.........1

you're right......i would be insane to think people on this board can be objective.

1) i don't have to accept anything...and
2) if everything is not fine, i could care less

Ballcox
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
^ I think there are plenty of objective fans on this board, you can't let a few homers color your view of all the posters. So just sit back and relax some, have some herbal tea or something........

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 11:29 AM
^ I think there are plenty of objective fans on this board, you can't let a few homers color your view of all the posters. So just sit back and relax some, have some herbal tea or something........

i think there are a few. Sami comes to mind and you're not too bad, :drunk as far as tea-sips go. the other teams fans like Capt. Mike, Brutalis, the Husker fans, etc. are GREAT. but many of the t.u. fans are on this board are crazy.

Ballcox
10-24-2006, 11:42 AM
^ Trust me, this isn't crazy at all. Go over to Hornsfan and check those forums out for a while, there is some truly crazy shit going on over there. However, there are a lot of Horn fans that post here as well and you have to keep that in mind, take comments with a grain of salt (what the fuck does that expression mean anyway? Just curious).

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 12:44 PM
^ Trust me, this isn't crazy at all. Go over to Hornsfan and check those forums out for a while, there is some truly crazy shit going on over there. However, there are a lot of Horn fans that post here as well and you have to keep that in mind, take comments with a grain of salt (what the fuck does that expression mean anyway? Just curious).

it means simply, there should be an amount of doubt involved. as for where it comes from...i thought it was from the basic idea that a grain of salt was very small and therefore that certain claim should not necessarily carry much weight. but on further exploration:

"The phrase comes from Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia, regarding the discovery of a recipe for an antidote to a poison. In the antidote, one of the ingredients was a grain of salt. Threats involving the poison were thus to be taken "with a grain of salt" and therefore less seriously. In reality, salt is not an antidote to any poison."

Ballcox
10-24-2006, 02:18 PM
^ Dude, you've got too much time on your hands.

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
^ Dude, you've got too much time on your hands.

i agree, but i am moving to Montana in 2 weeks and currently have no job and basically nothing to do. just partying with my friends until i leave.

Ballcox
10-24-2006, 02:24 PM
What are you going to do in Montana? Definitely one state I've always wanted to visit and haven't made it yet.

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 02:33 PM
What are you going to do in Montana? Definitely one state I've always wanted to visit and haven't made it yet.

i have not figured out what i am going to do yet, just a leap of faith. i'll figure it out when i get there. as for the reason i am moving...mountains, four seasons, outdoors, montana snowbowl, great people, and a small city. i grew up in San Antonio and lived in LA when i went to college; i am tired of big cities. i want to be able ride my bicycle to work and around the city without traffic and construction as well as have the outdoors at my doorstep. i am moving to Missoula, MT which is basically at the West middle border of the state. the movie a "River Runs Through It" took place there. suppose i'll need to take up fly fishing...

leemajors
10-24-2006, 04:47 PM
i have not figured out what i am going to do yet, just a leap of faith. i'll figure it out when i get there. as for the reason i am moving...mountains, four seasons, outdoors, montana snowbowl, great people, and a small city. i grew up in San Antonio and lived in LA when i went to college; i am tired of big cities. i want to be able ride my bicycle to work and around the city without traffic and construction as well as have the outdoors at my doorstep. i am moving to Missoula, MT which is basically at the West middle border of the state. the movie a "River Runs Through It" took place there. suppose i'll need to take up fly fishing...

you gonna be biking in below freezing weather?

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 04:55 PM
you gonna be biking in below freezing weather?

sure. and while the weather gets cold in Missoula, they are known for their milder winters in comparison with the rest of the state. but i will also be biking during other months too :bike: plus, i will only get a job in the city, so we're talking about a commute distance of a couple miles.

...though i should mention, your question actually makes me laugh. we just have different state of minds.

j-6
10-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Really, is there any LESS objective sport than college football? There's no playoff system to prove who the best really is, every alum worth his diploma is a rabid wild-eyed homer (myself included), and the regional bias that escalates from comparing conferences to declaring a recruiting champion just muddles everything further.

Be careful on your bike out in Montana, John. There's a lot of drunk Indians swerving and barrelling around in their beat-to-shit pickups and not nearly enough cops to keep order.

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Be careful on your bike out in Montana, John. There's a lot of drunk Indians swerving and barrelling around in their beat-to-shit pickups and not nearly enough cops to keep order.

thanks man! i am also taking my motorcycle, though i won't ride it too much in those winter months...just every once in a while. i, unlike most, enjoy winter and rain riding...its not dangerous, just uncomfortable if not dressed properly.

leemajors
10-24-2006, 05:35 PM
riding a bicycle in freezing conditions with snow, ice and sludge can be very dangerous. people freeze to death not being careful and just walking around when it's cold enough. weird, every person i have ever talked to who had a motorcycle said it was more dangerous to ride it in a mist or light rain than a hard rain. all it takes is one slip - my friend who took racing classes near a&m totalled a bike after light rain - cracked the y bar in his apartment parking lot.

johngateswhiteley
10-24-2006, 05:46 PM
riding a bicycle in freezing conditions with snow, ice and sludge can be very dangerous. people freeze to death not being careful and just walking around when it's cold enough. weird, every person i have ever talked to who had a motorcycle said it was more dangerous to ride it in a mist or light rain than a hard rain. all it takes is one slip - my friend who took racing classes near a&m totalled a bike after light rain - cracked the y bar in his apartment parking lot.

nah, you just have to make smooth movements and adjustments. although i would not purposefully ride in ice, if i were caught in it, i'd be fine. there is no doubt that with snow and ice present the conditions become more slick and the possibility of an accident is greater IF you ride as you would in dry weather. people fail to realize, motorcycles are not dangerous, the riders are.

as for the light rain and heavy rain, its the same as in a car. its slicker in light rain b/c all the oils & liquids on the road have not been washed away.

but the biggest thing: most riders think of a motorcycle as an accessory or toy on the weekend and not a regular method of transportation. so in inclement weather they will put their bike away....thats not how i look at it.

leemajors
10-24-2006, 09:59 PM
nah, you just have to make smooth movements and adjustments. although i would not purposefully ride in ice, if i were caught in it, i'd be fine. there is no doubt that with snow and ice present the conditions become more slick and the possibility of an accident is greater IF you ride as you would in dry weather. people fail to realize, motorcycles are not dangerous, the riders are.

as for the light rain and heavy rain, its the same as in a car. its slicker in light rain b/c all the oils & liquids on the road have not been washed away.

but the biggest thing: most riders think of a motorcycle as an accessory or toy on the weekend and not a regular method of transportation. so in inclement weather they will put their bike away....thats not how i look at it.

with motorcycles, it's always just a matter of when you get in an accident than whether you will or not. the more you keep that in mind the more cautious you will be and lower that chance. motorcycles are almost as fun to drive as dirt bikes and three wheelers though.

samikeyp
10-24-2006, 11:36 PM

Cherry Picking from other states...who would do that?

Sincerly,
Bob Stoops.

:lol

Holmes_Fans
10-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Cherry picking is taking 1 or 2 players.

Stoops and the OU football program rely on Texas and other stats to get their players.

johngateswhiteley
10-25-2006, 05:23 PM
with motorcycles, it's always just a matter of when you get in an accident than whether you will or not. the more you keep that in mind the more cautious you will be and lower that chance. motorcycles are almost as fun to drive as dirt bikes and three wheelers though.

...partially true. i think riding a motorcycle is actually safer than riding in a car. you pay more attention, have a larger view, higher mobility, and are much smaller. but, if you do get in a wreck, of course, you are much more vulnerable than if you were in a car. i would rather be on a bike...