PDA

View Full Version : Bonner settles in with Spurs

ducks
10-15-2006, 10:37 PM
http://cmimg.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CM&Date=20061015&Category=REPOSITORY&ArtNo=610150366&Ref=AR&border=0&MaxW=240
By Donovan Burba
Monitor staff

October 15. 2006 10:00AM

Matt Bonner and teammate Tony Parker field questions.
nickname may still be the "Red Rocket," but Matt Bonner finally has a car. The Concord native, who earned the nickname as a Toronto Raptor for his habit of riding that city's crimson streetcars, bought a Pontiac Grand Prix this offseason, just another adjustment for the 6-foot-10 .

The biggest change, of course, came on June 21, when Bonner was traded from the Raptors to the San Antonio Spurs along with Eric Williams and a draft pick in exchange for Rasho Nesterovic. In Bonner's two years with the team, the Raptors were 60-104, and never so much as sniffed the postseason. The Spurs, on the other hand, were 122-42 during that time, won a championship in 2004-05 and were an overtime away from the Finals again last season.

"They expect success here," Bonner said in a telephone interview on Wednesday. "The whole organization, from top to bottom, tries to work together toward helping the team win.

"It's different, because they're used to winning and they expect to win. It's a different attitude, just kind of an air about the place."

Bonner, who averaged 7.5 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last year, got to don the silver and black for the first time earlier this month when the Spurs played a two-game exhibition tour in France. In the opener, a 115-90 victory over Adecco ASVEL, Bonner had five points and two rebounds in 11 minutes. Three days later against Maccabi Elite, he had 10 points - including 2-of-2 from 3-point range - in 10 minutes as the Spurs won, 97-84.
While Bonner did spend time across the pond playing tourist - including trips to the Louvre, Notre Dame and the Arc de Triomphe, among other places - he also took the opportunity to bond with his new teammates.

"I got lucky because we went to France, and any time you take an overseas trip like that you're going to bond with them and get close to them," he said, "so I think I'm pretty comfortable around everyone on the team at this point."

So far, Bonner said that Brent Barry, a 12-year veteran, has become his closest friend on the team, and he's also gotten to know two-time league MVP Tim Duncan.

"He's just a normal, down-to-earth guy; you would never know he's won the MVP and world championships and all that," Bonner said of the famously taciturn Duncan. "He gets excited about the same things everyone else gets excited about, who's playing on Monday Night Football, you know, he's normal."

Unlike the Raptors, which had a relatively young and inexperienced roster during Bonner's stay, the Spurs have a solid nucleus of players who have been with the team for years, including Duncan, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen and Manu Ginobili. Add to that well-heeled vets like Robert Horry and Michael Finley, and Bonner has no shortage of teammates to turn to for guidance on the court.

So far it's been Horry - a 15-year vet with six NBA championships under his belt - whom Bonner has looked to the most on the court. Both players are 6-10, and both are threats from beyond the 3-point arc.

"He plays a lot like myself, and he's a great player and a vet in the league, so he helps me out a lot," Bonner said. "I'm just trying to watch him, see how he is successful within the system so that I can do the same thing when I get in the game."

So far, the said he's focused on learning San Antonio's system, from where he's supposed to be on offense to mastering the defensive rotations.

Winning the hearts of the basketball-mad Mission City, though, has been easy so far.

"People say 'hey, you're the new Spur,' " Bonner said. "They don't know my name yet, but they say that like you're part of the family."

angel_luv
10-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Winning the hearts of the basketball-mad Mission City, though, has been easy so far.

"People say 'hey, you're the new Spur,' " Bonner said. "They don't know my name yet, but they say that like you're part of the family."

:lol

THE SIXTH MAN
10-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Matt is going to be a fan favorite.

SequSpur
10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Benchwarmer forum.

gospursgojas
10-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Matt Boner = Fan Favorite= Jack Haley

ORION
10-16-2006, 07:29 AM
He will contribute and earn minutes.

z0sa
10-16-2006, 08:32 AM
I think Bonner will definitely contribute.

Mr. Body
10-16-2006, 09:09 AM
He'll have to contribute. As sketchy as our big man corps are, he'll get plenty of chances.

AFBlue
10-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Bonner, like Butler, has proven that he can be a contributor in limited minutes. It takes a special player to be the bench "spark", just ask Michael Finley who struggled in the reserve role, so I'm just glad we have the two of them. Bonner needs to continue learning in the system, and I think in the end he'll be a late-game guy or at least save Big Shot's legs for the fourth.

ORION
10-16-2006, 09:28 AM
As long as he can hit the open shot and block out he can stay out of the dog house.

z0sa
10-16-2006, 01:51 PM
I think Bonner could do so good if he learns from Horry anything really. Horry's shots are big things, I know -- but he does alot of the other intagible things like charges and defense that do so much for the team. its good hes gone to Horry and is mentoring under him because it will go along way for us years down the road long after Horry has retired.

Mr. Body
10-16-2006, 02:00 PM
The Horry comparison is problematic - in his prime, Horry was a good rebounder and a nice shot-blocker. Bonner is neither.

z0sa
10-16-2006, 02:06 PM
You can improve both your shotblocking and rebounding substantially playing next to vets like Tim Duncan and mentoring under Horry. If he gets that killer instinct from either one, it will do him good.

Mr. Body
10-16-2006, 02:24 PM
I tend to disagree. I'd love for Bonner to become a shotblocker. Perhaps rebounding is different, but people don't become good shotblockers because they play next to good shotblockers.

As it stands, we only have one good shotblocker on the roster (Horry hardly counts anymore). Timing is inherent, not learned.

Dirk41MVP
10-16-2006, 03:22 PM
I'd love for Bonner to become a shotblocker.

I'd love a ponny too or maybe a pink elephant :elephant

Summers
10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
I'd love a ponny too or maybe a pink elephant :elephant

And an NBA championship banner hanging from the rafters?

ambchang
10-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Bonner is not going to be a shotblocker or a strong rebounder. I have seen him play many times, and I love him as a player because he is smart, he hustles, and he plays the game with passion and fire, but he is extremely limited physically. WHen you can't jump, you can't jump, you can't teach or learn that.

The Spurs, on the other hand, were 122-42 during that time, won a championship in 2004-05 and were an overtime away from the Finals again last season.

So this is how you diss the Suns?

ducks
10-16-2006, 05:41 PM
The Horry comparison is problematic - in his prime, Horry was a good rebounder and a nice shot-blocker. Bonner is neither.

dude it takes a few game for him to learn the spurs system
he is lucky he has trainging camp nazr never even got that

ChumpDumper
10-16-2006, 05:48 PM
If Bonner blocks a shot every other game I'd be amazed.

ploto
10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
And Horry can jump and play defense, too. I think people are building Bonner up just to watch him fall fast. His defense is bad- really bad. He can hit some shots- that is all you should expect.

Mr. Body
10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
dude it takes a few game for him to learn the spurs system
he is lucky he has trainging camp nazr never even got that

You don't read, do you? No amount of training camp will make Bonner a great rebounder or shotblocker. It'll make him better positionally, that's it.

timvp
10-16-2006, 05:53 PM
His defense is bad- really bad. He can hit some shots- that is all you should expect.

Funny, that's what was said about Rasho when he joined the Spurs.

timvp
10-16-2006, 05:55 PM
But yeah, Bonner is never going to be a shotblocker. No way. If he can get his rebounding level up to a respectable rate for a smallish PF (think Horry or Rasho rebounding numbers), that's all that can be hoped for.

I think Bonner is going to be an instant energy type guy who can spread the floor. He'll never be more than a role player but if the chips fall right, he could be a very nice piece for years.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
I'd expect more from these guys if they were being paid $40 million and/or were Lithuanian, but they aren't.

ploto
10-16-2006, 05:58 PM
As it stands, we only have one good shotblocker on the roster (Horry hardly counts anymore). Timing is inherent, not learned.
Shot blocking is ALL about timing. Brent Barry blocked almost as many shots as Booner last year and we all know how liitle he played.

For all of people's griping about Rasho, he and Tim had the identical blocks per 48 minutes this past season.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Bonner would need more than timing.

ploto
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Funny, that's what was said about Rasho when he joined the Spurs.
Then those people didn't watch Rasho play. He was a better defender than people realize and he ALWAYS had good fundamentals. Rasho also averaged 1.5 blocks per game his last season in Minnesota. Bonner last year-- 0.4.

Obstructed_View
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
I tend to disagree. I'd love for Bonner to become a shotblocker. Perhaps rebounding is different, but people don't become good shotblockers because they play next to good shotblockers.

I agree completely. Horry was never a "good" shotblocker. Playing alongside a couple of the greatest shot blockers ever allows one to roam and get a lot of weak side swats, which inflates your stats. Horry also got many of those blocks because he used to have incredible hops, and if Bonner had that kind of ability, we'd have heard about it before now.

If Bonner can learn the defensive system and be in the right place at the right time, he'll contribute. If he's not percieved as a weakness on one side of the floor, he'll get playing time.

timvp
10-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Bonner would need more than timing.

Yeah, I'm not sure Bonner could jump over a phone book. Rasho couldn't jump over a piece of paper but being 7'1 with long arms helped.

Obstructed_View
10-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure Bonner could jump over a phone book. Rasho couldn't jump over a piece of paper but being 7'1 with long arms made it pretty easy.
As you inferred, though: Doing like Rasho did and learning to be in the right place helps volumes.

ploto
10-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm not trying to bash Bonner- I am being realistic. People act like he will magically develop abilitles he simply does not have. Can he improve them- of course- but not to the extent that people are acting like he can. I am just saying they should be realistic. I also still ask- how many minutes will he even get to play. With Tim, Horry, Fabricio, Elson, Bonner, and Butler. Give me a breakdown. It's not like Pop will suddenly decide to play Bonner in crunch time instead of Rob!

timvp
10-16-2006, 06:05 PM
As you inferred, though: Being in the right place and learning the defensive system helps volumes.

The most the Spurs can hope from Bonner defensively is what they got from Danny Ferry. Near the end of Ferry's time with the Spurs, he played some power forward. He never blocked shots but he did a good job with help defense and came up with key rebounds when it counted.

If Bonner can do that, he'll earn playing time.

ploto
10-16-2006, 06:07 PM
The most the Spurs can hope from Bonner defensively is what they got from Danny Ferry. Near the end of Ferry's time with the Spurs, he played some power forward. He never blocked shots but he did a good job with help defense and came up with key rebounds when it counted.

If Bonner can do that, he'll earn playing time.
Big IF.

timvp
10-16-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm not trying to bash Bonner- I am being realistic. People act like he will magically develop abilitles he simply does not have. Can he improve them- of course- but not to the extent that people are acting like he can. I am just saying they should be realistic. I also still ask- how many minutes will he even get to play. With Tim, Horry, Fabricio, Elson, Bonner, and Butler. Give me a breakdown. It's not like Pop will suddenly decide to play Boner in crunch time instead of Rob!

Duncan and Horry will play the same amount of minutes. Fabricio will take Nazr's minutes. Bonner and Elson will get Rasho's minutes depending on matchups or who is playing better.

Rasho averaged 20 minutes a game last year so they'll be plenty of minutes for Bonner to get if he's playing well ... especially considering Duncan, Bowen and Horry probably play slightly less minutes and Marks is gone.

timvp
10-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Big IF.

Yeah because the Spurs have a long history of not getting big guys to be able to play defense. :dizzy

Obstructed_View
10-16-2006, 06:12 PM
It's not like Pop will suddenly decide to play Bonner in crunch time instead of Rob!
Yeah, because Pop doesn't just suddenly make personnel decisions in crunch time that make no fucking sense to the rest of us.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
10-16-2006, 06:38 PM
If he hits his threes and attempts to play some "D" i'll be happy

ploto
10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Duncan and Horry will play the same amount of minutes. Fabricio will take Nazr's minutes. Bonner and Elson will get Rasho's minutes depending on matchups or who is playing better.

Rasho averaged 20 minutes a game last year so they'll be plenty of minutes for Bonner to get if he's playing well ... especially considering Duncan, Bowen and Horry probably play slightly less minutes and Marks is gone.
Well, I know how you feel about Elson, but don't you think he will play more than Bonner? And do you only expect Fabricio to play 17 minutes a night?

Have you completetly ruled out minutes for Butler? I thought you wanted him starting by All-Star break?

ploto
10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah because the Spurs have a long history of not getting big guys to be able to play defense. :dizzy
Yeah- it worked so well with Nazr! :lol

SequSpur
10-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Herrera's Mom > Bonner.

The Spurs have 4 duds in their lineup. This is the worst assembled Spurs roster ever.

ShoogarBear
10-16-2006, 11:10 PM
The most the Spurs can hope from Bonner defensively is what they got from Danny Ferry. Sweet. We have our Bonzi-stopper. :elephant:elephant

z0sa
10-17-2006, 08:40 AM
maybe if he doesn't block any shots, at least maybe change/alter some shots in the lane and play as strong as possible on D. If he just plays tall it will help.

AFBlue
10-17-2006, 12:12 PM

That might be the case, but I don't think it would be very wise. Big Shot got alot of minutes as the season wore on and was used exculsively as the first big man off bench playing major minutes in the playoffs. I love Robert Horry as a competitor and clutch shooter, but he's not a guy who can consistently give you regular minutes. Bonner, despite his defensive and rebounding deficincies, is a productive offensive player and could really be pivotal in saving Horry from wearing himself out.

AFBlue
10-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Herrera's Mom > Bonner.

The Spurs have 4 duds in their lineup. This is the worst assembled Spurs roster ever.

This guy's a "glass half empty" kind of guy huh?

ploto
10-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Big Shot got alot of minutes as the season wore on and was used exculsively as the first big man off bench playing major minutes in the playoffs.
People keep repeating this but it simply is not true.

Of the final 8 regular season games- Rob did not even play in 2 of them. Of the 6 he played in, he averaged 18 minutes per game. That is not that much.

Sacramento series: still only averaged just under 19 minutes per game

The idea that he was too worn out by the time the Dallas series hit just doesn't hold.

As for your major minutes claim- he averaged 17 minutes per game in the play-offs over the 13 games- including 3 OT games.

z0sa
10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Pop just didn't trust Horry to guard Dirk when it came down to it - and theres no way he could guard Josh Howard, so what was he supposed to do? When and how was he going to play, and if hes not even warmed up or playing in the first three quarters, why do we expect anything out of him the fourth?

TDMVPDPOY
10-17-2006, 01:53 PM
he better panned out b4 trade week, cose we are shippin him out to get ......

AFBlue
10-17-2006, 03:01 PM
People keep repeating this but it simply is not true.

Of the final 8 regular season games- Rob did not even play in 2 of them. Of the 6 he played in, he averaged 18 minutes per game. That is not that much.

Sacramento series: still only averaged just under 19 minutes per game

The idea that he was too worn out by the time the Dallas series hit just doesn't hold.

As for your major minutes claim- he averaged 17 minutes per game in the play-offs over the 13 games- including 3 OT games.

And in those minutes, didn't he look worn out to you? He wasn't his normally spry self. So I would use "major" minutes as a relative term to suggest that he played more minutes than he should have. The simple fact is that he is 35 years old and the man called HIMSELF a dinosaur! Bon-Bon should get some of Horry's minutes because he's a proven productive player offensively in short minutes.

ploto
10-17-2006, 08:32 PM
The way Horry looked had nothing to do with playing too much basketball.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Put him in when the starting SF or PF is out and he guards the person that's less of a threat while Duncan or Horry guards the other.

AFBlue
10-18-2006, 07:52 AM
The way Horry looked had nothing to do with playing too much basketball.

Okay, that's a nice statement. Care to tell me what it did have to do with then? Maybe you want to offer up another reason? Or are you just going to leave it at "I don't know what it was, but I can tell you it wasn't that."

Jimcs50
10-18-2006, 09:12 AM
If I remember correctly, he led the SEC in 3 point shooting at Florida his Senior year or Junior year, so that is where he will help the team the most.

I do not know what he has dome in the pros fro the arc, but he was a great shooter in college

TDMVPDPOY
10-18-2006, 09:28 AM
his goin to land us lebron james b4 all star break

angel_luv
10-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Bon-Bon should get some of Horry's minutes because he's a proven productive player offensively in short minutes.

Bon-Bon? :lol

AFBlue
10-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Bon-Bon? :lol

Yeah, the Red Rocket was a Raptor nickname. I figure this kid needs a fresh start. I've also seen "boner", which I'm sure he's been hearing since the fourth grade.

Bon-Bon... :clap or :nope ?

angel_luv
10-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Bon-Bon... :clap or :nope ?

Bon- Bon = Sweet! :fro

:lol

angel_luv
10-18-2006, 01:51 PM
3 whole pages and no one mentions that he bought a freaking Pontiac Grand Prix with all that lump some of money

:wtf

Remember this is the guy who wouldn't add turkey to his sub sandwich because Subway (?) charged extra for it.

ShoogarBear
10-18-2006, 02:19 PM
How about "Cheap-Ass"?

bdictjames
10-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I dont care if he doesn't block or rebound as long as he can defend Dirk

Mr. Body
10-18-2006, 02:49 PM
I dont care if he doesn't block or rebound as long as he can defend Dirk

Well, that's not going to happen.

AFBlue
10-18-2006, 03:25 PM
3 whole pages and no one mentions that he bought a freaking Pontiac Grand Prix with all that lump some of money

:wtf

Uh oh...we've got grand prix haters in this forum...I'M OUT! :pctoss

Nah, I like you peeps too much. I just love my Grand Prix, that supercharged V6, jet black, leather, sunroof, :drool: