PDA

View Full Version : So what's Plan B?

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Ok, you don't think the Spurs should pay Parker $68 mil or whatever. So what's the alternative once Parker walks? Is Negele Knight going to be pulled out of a maintenance closet at the Alamodome? Come on, I want to know what is worth letting a talented 22 year old point guard who is top 10 and arguably top 5 in this league and who has no problem remaining in San Antonio go.

timvp
10-30-2004, 12:35 AM
Maybe Greg Sutton has a few threes left in him.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 12:38 AM
Starting multiple threads apparently.

Plan B is see what the market says.

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Oh good. So instead of getting him for a reasonable price now you end up with a higher price next summer. Great thinking.

Nikos
10-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Is Negele Knight going to be pulled out of a maintenance closet at the Alamodome?

:lmao

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Oh good. So instead of getting him for a reasonable price now you end up with a higher price next summer. Great thinking.Are you writing the new CBA? Probably won't be much of a next year anyway, folks.

Kori Ellis
10-30-2004, 12:42 AM
I don't know if the fans who want to wait until next summer (other than Ice Cold Brewski) really want to let Parker go. I think their perspective is that they are willing to risk it and see how Parker performs this season. Then if he's great, match whatever offers he gets.

Even though I think Parker/Spurs should just come to an agreement now, be it Parker going down to $64M or the Spurs going up to $68M, if he doesn't sign now, I'm sure that he's going to be offered max by a few teams next year. And I'm not so sure that the Spurs would match max. If they aren't willing to go up a couple million now, why would they?

I understand both sides of it -- Parker/Fleischer are going to try to get what they can get and I also understand the Spurs sticking to their limits. But before it's all said and done, I think both sides have enough sense to realize it's way too risky to wait.

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 12:43 AM
So he ends up at a higher salary level next summer for 4 instead of 6 years. Over his career he ends up costing more regardless. Lock him up and forget it.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 12:44 AM
So he ends up at a higher salary level next summer for 4 instead of 6 years.Again, who knows what the max will be then?

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 12:46 AM
Just a guess but if the players give up the contract length then they are probably going to get higher annual salary ceilings.

timvp
10-30-2004, 12:46 AM
There is no way they cut 30% off the max and lower it to four year deals. The NBA would fold before that happens.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 12:48 AM
If that's the case, there would probably be a higher cap.

Or no luxury tax.

I really think the owners want to head in the other direction on almost every front.

Of course it's all guessing right now, but I don't have the best feeling about the negotiations.

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 12:50 AM
Think about what the owners want...shorter contracts and lower max annual raises. So what do the players get? Higher max annual starting salaries.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Think about what the owners want.I did. They don't want the higher annual salaries either.

timvp
10-30-2004, 12:53 AM
The owners are throwing as much crap on the wall as they can. They're trying to get everything out there.

That way when they "settle" for six year contracts and no age limit, the players think they actually won something.

Marcus Bryant
10-30-2004, 12:56 AM
I did. They don't want the higher annual salaries either.

Hence the reason they want to lower the maximum annual raises as well as the maximum contract lengths.

SequSpur
10-30-2004, 12:58 AM
All I know is that there are players making at least 20 million a season and Duncan is not even close to that.

The Spurs ownership should consider themselves pretty damn lucky.

ShoogarBear
10-30-2004, 01:13 AM
Of course, you complete ignore what happens if Parker doesn't improve significantly or (less likely) stinks it up this year?

Sorry, but that's a possibility.

SenorSpur
10-30-2004, 03:24 AM
Pro player contracts, much like real estate, usually increase in value from year-to-year - provided the athlete's skills are not on the decline and is injury-free. TP's skills and his value are only going to continue to grow.

Remember Steve Nash? Phoenix had no qualms about overpaying for his services. If he commanded 66 million at his age - what do you think Parker's value will be on the open market.

The kid is only 22 years old - for God's sake - and is already one of the top 5 PGs in the league. His upside is tremendous and his future couldn't be brighter.
Spurs management should know that young, talented PGs are at a premium in this league. It absolutely makes no sense to wait until summer and allow other teams to drive up his price. SIGN HIM NOW.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Best Startin PG's in the L
1) Stephon Marbury
2) Steve Nash
3) Baron Davis
4) Gilbert Arenas
5) Tony Parer

I dont think i left anyone out